Gaming Nintendo Switch

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I've sunk into Dredge. Impossible to stop playing.

Sarni

I love Neon White's simple structure of short level until I realized they are split by hours upon hours of pointless conversations.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I've sunk into Dredge. Impossible to stop playing.
Yeah it's a rather addictive gameplay loop. I thought they could've fleshed out the story a bit more by the end, but it was a good time and well worth the price.

Sarni

Yeah it's a rather addictive gameplay loop. I thought they could've fleshed out the story a bit more by the end, but it was a good time and well worth the price.
I am not that far into it yet as I’ve only visited two of the four remote locations. The only frustration I have is how short the day seems to be but it’s part of the design where you have to really put in effort to get to your place before the sun goes down and monsters come out. I hope it doesn’t turn into a game in which you have to constantly travel back and forth to get something done though.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I am not that far into it yet as I’ve only visited two of the four remote locations. The only frustration I have is how short the day seems to be but it’s part of the design where you have to really put in effort to get to your place before the sun goes down and monsters come out. I hope it doesn’t turn into a game in which you have to constantly travel back and forth to get something done though.
I think they managed to balance that fairly well to be honest. At least I didn't feel like it was an issue.

Sarni

I discourage everyone from buying Advance Wars reboot because you will just sink into it completely and your sleep pattern will suffer due to late night ‘it’s just one final mission’ syndrome. Almost 40 hours in two weeks. :(

Sarni

Ya winning?
Almost done with the first one, final battle left. I replayed quite a few of them as I wasn’t satisfied with the rating / came up with an idea how to progress more efficiently, but also got stuck a few times.

Sarni

There's a reason I've not commented a single time on this game...
It’s not even a well executed remake, I mean I hate the graphical style but it’s still Advance Wars. I was a massive fan during my high school days and didn’t even realize how much I missed it. Fire Emblem replaced it for me during 3DS era.

I’m hearing Fire Emblem Engage got back to the much simpler scheme. While I liked Three Houses (I’m still playing it, possibly halfway through), I really could not be bothered with all the extra stuff they added so if Engage doesn’t have it I’m gonna love it.

Sarni

I discourage everyone from buying Advance Wars reboot because you will just sink into it completely and your sleep pattern will suffer due to late night ‘it’s just one final mission’ syndrome. Almost 40 hours in two weeks. :(
Got to the final battle last night but couldn’t finish it so I started again in the morning. Spent about 1 hour on each of my first attempts but got pinned back so changed my strategy which turned into an extremely long, extensive battle where I aimed to wear Sturm down. Now after about 2.5 hours I got myself to a point where it’s him retracting back to his area with no way out, and I could probably finish him in about 10 minutes but because of the pain he had inflicted upon me previously I have decided to just keep capturing his properties and will cause him to suffocate more and more, swarming the map with my troops. Glorious finish to first installment in the series.

I have also decided Switch is fecking awesome.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Can someone tell me more about Ocarina Of Time and Majora's Mask (and some 3 day time limit thing?)?

My mate's been begging me to play it but is he just wearing nostalgia glasses or will I enjoy it? (I have them both on the Switch expansion pack)... The only Zelda game I played was A Link To The Past.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Can someone tell me more about Ocarina Of Time and Majora's Mask (and some 3 day time limit thing?)?

My mate's been begging me to play it but is he just wearing nostalgia glasses or will I enjoy it? (I have them both on the Switch expansion pack)... The only Zelda game I played was A Link To The Past.
No, they are amazing games.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

I love them but there definitely is a nostalgia factor. Both games feel old these days because of hardware limitations, although there is a weird eerie charm to them.

I would probably suggest committing to either BotW or TotK before tackling them simply because they're obviously modern and very good games.

Sara125

Majora’s mask has a time system whereby you have to complete quests before it resets and sends you back to a clock tower sort of thing and you have to start quests again from the beginning of the 3 day time scale (there are loopholes around this though). Ocarina is regarded one of the best video games ever (OOT is great but prefer link’s awakening)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

OOT is still one of the very best games ever made, Majora's Mask isn't far behind and the time limit makes sense in the game world.

If you can, though will likely be expensive now, play the 3DS versions. Both were absolutely brilliant updates (and fixed some of the issues the originals had for people too).

ChrisNelson

Ocarina is an incredible game.

It's worth getting the N64 expansion for the Switch on its own.

I've just started replaying it for the god knows what number of times and even after 25 years it's just fantastic.

A Link To The Past was at its time incredible too and I think stands the test of time, I still work my way through that every now and again.

Link's Awakening deserves a special mention too, got a remastering for Switch a few years ago (originally a Gameboy game in the early 90s).

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Don't play Majora's Mask first
Yeah gonna try OOT first. Thanks.
I love them but there definitely is a nostalgia factor. Both games feel old these days because of hardware limitations, although there is a weird eerie charm to them.

I would probably suggest committing to either BotW or TotK before tackling them simply because they're obviously modern and very good games.
I'm not a huge fan of open world games but I'm hoping the older ones will get me in the mood for Zelda. I usually like difficult 2D games like Celeste, Hollow Knight and Cuphead or fighting games like Street Fighter or Tekken so this is a big step for me.
Majora’s mask has a time system whereby you have to complete quests before it resets and sends you back to a clock tower sort of thing and you have to start quests again from the beginning of the 3 day time scale (there are loopholes around this though). Ocarina is regarded one of the best video games ever (OOT is great but prefer link’s awakening)
Yeah that time system is off-putting as I normally play random times due to my lifestyle.
OOT is still one of the very best games ever made, Majora's Mask isn't far behind and the time limit makes sense in the game world.

If you can, though will likely be expensive now, play the 3DS versions. Both were absolutely brilliant updates (and fixed some of the issues the originals had for people too).
Thank you but I got the Switch expansion pack so probs gonna just do it on that.
Ocarina is an incredible game.

It's worth getting the N64 expansion for the Switch on its own.

I've just started replaying it for the god knows what number of times and even after 25 years it's just fantastic.

A Link To The Past was at its time incredible too and I think stands the test of time, I still work my way through that every now and again.

Link's Awakening deserves a special mention too, got a remastering for Switch a few years ago (originally a Gameboy game in the early 90s).
I might try Link's awakening remake once I get through OOT and Majora's Mask.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Yeah that time system is off-putting as I normally play random times due to my lifestyle.
Just so you know it’s 3 in game days not real life days so it doesn’t matter when you play, and given on the N64 online you can create a save state wherever it’s no drama at all

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Just so you know it’s 3 in game days not real life days so it doesn’t matter when you play, and given on the N64 online you can create a save state wherever it’s no drama at all
Ahh brilliant, that's what I needed to hear! Thanks bud

Sarni

In my spare moments between playing TOTK and playing TOTK I have been indulging in Inscryption which is a highly rated card based rogue like and boy has it been addictive.

decorativeed

Yeah gonna try OOT first. Thanks.

I'm not a huge fan of open world games but I'm hoping the older ones will get me in the mood for Zelda. I usually like difficult 2D games like Celeste, Hollow Knight and Cuphead or fighting games like Street Fighter or Tekken so this is a big step for me.

Thank you but I got the Switch expansion pack so probs gonna just do it on that.

I might try Link's awakening remake once I get through OOT and Majora's Mask.
The Link's Awakening game is made with the switch and its controls in mind. I really enjoyed it, although not as much as A Link to the Past on the SNES app.

The N64 ports on there just don't translate in my opinion, because the controller is totally different. I found Ocarina to be pretty much unplayable on the Switch, especially compared with the remake for the 3DS. If you have the ability to run a 3DS emulator on your computer, try that instead.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Link's Awakening game is made with the switch and its controls in mind. I really enjoyed it, although not as much as A Link to the Past on the SNES app.

The N64 ports on there just don't translate in my opinion, because the controller is totally different. I found Ocarina to be pretty much unplayable on the Switch, especially compared with the remake for the 3DS. If you have the ability to run a 3DS emulator on your computer, try that instead.
Ahh I kind of want to play on the switch as I paid for the expansion pack!

decorativeed

Ahh I kind of want to play on the switch as I paid for the expansion pack!
So did I, and it's worth it for the Mario Kart DLC and the Minish Cap on the GBA app, but I didn't find those N64 Zelda games to be an enjoyable experience when you have to use the Switch controllers.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Anyone played Tales Of Iron? Any good? It's £6 on switch sale.
I didn’t like it. The game has parry/block/dodge mechanics however it colour codes real enemy stack with exactly which move you have to defend. So press the button the game tells you to set the right time which I found quite limiting and boring. If you’re looking for a 2d soulslike play salt and sanctuary instead.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I didn’t like it. The game has parry/block/dodge mechanics however it colour codes real enemy stack with exactly which move you have to defend. So press the button the game tells you to set the right time which I found quite limiting and boring. If you’re looking for a 2d soulslike play salt and sanctuary instead.
That game is also on my watchlist. Only got drawn to Tales Of Iron due to the have discount.

Unam333

It’s not even a well executed remake, I mean I hate the graphical style but it’s still Advance Wars. I was a massive fan during my high school days and didn’t even realize how much I missed it. Fire Emblem replaced it for me during 3DS era.

I’m hearing Fire Emblem Engage got back to the much simpler scheme. While I liked Three Houses (I’m still playing it, possibly halfway through), I really could not be bothered with all the extra stuff they added so if Engage doesn’t have it I’m gonna love it.
I just picked it up for around 30 pounds. I'm a sucker for reversible covers, so I was pleasantly surprised this one also got a reversible one. I'm happy I got it even cheaper than when I got it preordered a while back ago (and then got cancelled due to the war).