Gaming Nintendo Switch

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah it turns out the console can actually go for a couple of hours on 1% but if you turn it off, it won't turn back.

Happily it turns out it's a 2-year warranty. I will try the Nintendo fix with running this down to zero a couple of times before submitting it for repair.

Kearnkoff69

I want one of these so bad but I won't have the money for a new console for at least another year or two. IIRC Nintendo consoles (both DS and the Wii) don't really drop in price as they get older, so what it's selling for is probably where it'll stay, right?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I've pretty much finished Zelda now and I'm rather sad. Same sinking feeling I got when I finished the Witcher 3 that I probably won't play another game like this (or remotely this good) again for a very long time :(

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Been playing Splatoon again the last couple of days, forgot how much fun it is. Way too addictive.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I need help in Xenoblade
after toppling an opponent what do I need to do?
And is Morag more useful than Tora?
Also I'm currently at chapter 5, does the game get more challenging than this? I can feel difficulty is increasing but does it get too tough?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I need help in Xenoblade
after toppling an opponent what do I need to do?
And is Morag more useful than Tora?
Also I'm currently at chapter 5, does the game get more challenging than this? I can feel difficulty is increasing but does it get too tough?
Break (target can be toppled) -> Topple (target is knocked down, can be launched) -> Launch (launches the enemy into the air, can be smashed) -> Smash (smashes the enemy down to the ground and deals good damage, ends the condition-run)
Blowdown just pushes the enemy away from you.

All of the individual characters can solo the superbosses if you play well and grind your hair out.

In general for most before reaching op-ness:
Morag is a dodge-tank, takes damage less often but has less hp.
Tora is a sponge-tank, takes damage more often but has more hp.

I prefer Morag most of the time as you don't have to play the mini-game that you do for Tora's upgrades (did that mostly at end-game), and if you farm/get lucky with tank-blades for Morag then you can make her do well both on HP & dodge. That and she generally deals more damage up until later on in the game.

Difficulty depends on how much you grind and understand the combat system, I'd say the difficulty will go up in terms of small spikes in enemy attributes here and there, but as long as you don't rush the story you'll be fine leveling-wise.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Break (target can be toppled) -> Topple (target is knocked down, can be launched) -> Launch (launches the enemy into the air, can be smashed) -> Smash (smashes the enemy down to the ground and deals good damage, ends the condition-run)
Blowdown just pushes the enemy away from you.

All of the individual characters can solo the superbosses if you play well and grind your hair out.

In general for most before reaching op-ness:
Morag is a dodge-tank, takes damage less often but has less hp.
Tora is a sponge-tank, takes damage more often but has more hp.

I prefer Morag most of the time as you don't have to play the mini-game that you do for Tora's upgrades (did that mostly at end-game), and if you farm/get lucky with tank-blades for Morag then you can make her do well both on HP & dodge. That and she generally deals more damage up until later on in the game.

Difficulty depends on how much you grind and understand the combat system, I'd say the difficulty will go up in terms of small spikes in enemy attributes here and there, but as long as you don't rush the story you'll be fine leveling-wise.
I'm having trouble getting healers blade, I gave two good rare tanks to Morgan, apparently Nia had a tank blade and that's what was causing me a bit of trouble as soon as I used overdrive the battle got much easier(the dragon thingy on the way to Rex's village) who did you give the beastly core to btw?

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
[/Spoiler] I'm having trouble getting healers blade, I gave two good rare tanks to Morgan, apparently Nia had a tank blade and that's what was causing me a bit of trouble as soon as I used overdrive the battle got much easier(the dragon thingy on the way to Rex's village) who did you give the beastly core to btw?[/spoiler]
I'm a farmer, so I did the stupid(spoiler) thing and put almost every blade on Rex and farmed up those things used to transfer a blade to someone else.

At a later point in the game (think it was around the 6th-8th part of the game) Rex is able to use any blade, even if it is on another driver.

If you have a issue of a blade that doesn't fit the role of the owner then simply unequip it, as having your healer in a tank-role is a bad idea (unless main-tank is dead). :p

Edit: Gave the beast core to Rex, but I never really had to use it (apart from for field skills & mercenary quests).

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Cheers.
Mark of the Ninja was great on PC at least, so if you haven't played it I'd suggest looking it up.
There's a few other ones I'll keep an eye on. Light Fall, Bad North, Pool Panic and Banner Saga at least.

Coxy

I'll be getting Mark of the Ninja and Banner Saga - both look great.

The one I'm really desperate for is Hollow Knight - we're getting an update on release date this week

Maagge

So I've just started Axiom Verge and played an hour or so, but I'm not sure I get it yet. And so far I'm not too keen on the controls.
@Olly what's the deal?

Maagge

I love it. What don't you get?

I think you can change the controls, I remember there being a menu for them.
Yup, that's why I'm asking you. :)
At the moment I just don't see the point of what I'm doing or get where I'm supposed to go. I'm running more or less aimlessly around.

Yeah, I started out by swapping the A and B mapping.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Yup, that's why I'm asking you. :)
At the moment I just don't see the point of what I'm doing or get where I'm supposed to go. I'm running more or less aimlessly around.

Yeah, I started out by swapping the A and B mapping.
Ah, have you not played any Metroid type games before? If so, I dunno if this is a good one to start off with. I'm not saying it isn't, I just don't know if it is or not :lol:

Basically you just have to explore, there's not really a specific way to go, the fun in these kind of games is giving the feeling of being lost somewhere. Go roam around and find different power ups and weapons. Once you've found certain ones you'll be able to access areas that were inaccessible before.

So yeah, don't worry about specific places to go, just explore, find weapons, hidden paths etc :)

Last edited:

The Bloody-Nine

I am going to put mine on Ebay, I think. What kind of reserve do you think I should put on it?

Mario Odyssey 32GB Edition (boxed)
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart Deluxe
Official Pro Controller (boxed)
Carry case (cost me about £15)
Screen protector (also cost about £15)

I reckon if I do a factory reset I'm going to lose Mario. There is the option of deleting all of my personal shit and leaving my account active, I suppose.

Anyway, without Mario I was thinking a reserve of £320.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Finished Super Mario Odyssey just now. Not all moons of course.
The controls became better for me after around 3-5 hours of play.

Now it's .hack games, shadow hearts covenant, summoner 2, botw and a few emulated games on my list.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I am going to put mine on Ebay, I think. What kind of reserve do you think I should put on it?

Mario Odyssey 32GB Edition (boxed)
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart Deluxe
Official Pro Controller (boxed)
Carry case (cost me about £15)
Screen protector (also cost about £15)

I reckon if I do a factory reset I'm going to lose Mario. There is the option of deleting all of my personal shit and leaving my account active, I suppose.

Anyway, without Mario I was thinking a reserve of £320.
£320 sounds reasonable, I would maybe expect closer to £350 though. Console alone is worth £200+ (I would say £230 since it’s a limited edition), games are £25 each on average, pro controller is £40 or so, case is worth maybe £10 and the screen protector won’t increase value by more than £5.

The Bloody-Nine

I was thinking £350 (hoping for more, obviously). I'm going to leave my account on the console so the buyer will get Mario and Stardew Valley, too.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I was thinking £350 (hoping for more, obviously). I'm going to leave my account on the console so the buyer will get Mario and Stardew Valley, too.
30 pounds isn't the end of the world to be fair.

Leaving your account on the console means there is a risk of your information being lost, if you've linked it to your paypal or other cards there is a possibility that a security flaw can see it end in the wrong hands. Has been a issue before on at least apple & sony devices, I'd say it'd likely also have happened on android & xbox stuff as well without doing the research.

If you bought Mario with the nintendo (getting a code) then I think you can delete it from the account and give her the code so she can use it on her own account.

I got my Mario by code since I bought it with the console, and my girl and I looked at ways we could give her the option of playing it on her console, we ended up buying her another one I think because I had to delete it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Played a lot more of Sonic Mania. Soundtrack still great and some fantastic level designs. But the bosses are a bit of a let down. They each have their own unique way of being defeated, which range from mildly interesting to grating.

So that's a disappointment. Overall a good game though. May take the plunge and buy SteamWorld Dig 2 digitally as it's on sale at the moment.

The Bloody-Nine

30 pounds isn't the end of the world to be fair.

Leaving your account on the console means there is a risk of your information being lost, if you've linked it to your paypal or other cards there is a possibility that a security flaw can see it end in the wrong hands. Has been a issue before on at least apple & sony devices, I'd say it'd likely also have happened on android & xbox stuff as well without doing the research.

If you bought Mario with the nintendo (getting a code) then I think you can delete it from the account and give her the code so she can use it on her own account.

I got my Mario by code since I bought it with the console, and my girl and I looked at ways we could give her the option of playing it on her console, we ended up buying her another one I think because I had to delete it.
Oh, I have no intention of leaving any personal / payment details on it. Also, I think if you redeem a code it's then linked to your account.

Maagge

Ah, have you not played any Metroid type games before? If so, I dunno if this is a good one to start off with. I'm not saying it isn't, I just don't know if it is or not :lol:

Basically you just have to explore, there's not really a specific way to go, the fun in these kind of games is giving the feeling of being lost somewhere. Go roam around and find different power ups and weapons. Once you've found certain ones you'll be able to access areas that were inaccessible before.

So yeah, don't worry about specific places to go, just explore, find weapons, hidden paths etc :)
It is more or less the first real game of this type I've played I think. At least in a looong time.
I've played quite a bit more now, it is kind of addictive ("I'll just get to the next save point, it can't be that far"). And I'm always a bit obsessive about finding secret power-ups etc. So yeah, I've played a bit past the first cutscene in the middle of the game and I'm somewhat starting to understand what's going on storywise, maybe.

I'm not really using the different weapons all that much. The first weapon you get seems to take care of most things. Although I've started using inertial pulse thing. The other ones seem to have very niche uses, like I found a monster that only seemed to take damage from short range, green lightning gun (Kilver?). And one boss seemed to be a piece of piss if you just used the Hypo-Atomizer.

EDIT: I've also put a couple of other games like Owlboy and Celeste on my watchlist so it seems like it'll be a while still before I play Breath of the Wild and Odyssey.

Last edited:

GBBQ

Ok so, main quests pretty much done in BOTW and Odyssey. I have things like Splatoon, Mario Kart and Rocket league to dip and out of but want something to get lost in for a while like Mario & Zelda. Any recommendations?