Gaming Nintendo Switch

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I've got to say, Lacrimosa of Dana is the best rpg I've played on the switch so far (9h into it).
It's just so much fun.

Think the only "gripe" I've got so far is that the power of the switch or the games coding is annoying when you see enemies stand still in the distance and they don't do anything unless you get close enough to them.
Better than Octopath? I'm still only 15 hours in in Octopath but I can't see how any JRPG can beat it on the switch tbh, definitely better than Xenoblade 2.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
any clues to when Dark Souls drops? I held off buying it on the PS4 for the longest time now, never played Dark Souls 1 so I'm very interested in it, I just want to play it in handheld mode.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Better than Octopath? I'm still only 15 hours in in Octopath but I can't see how any JRPG can beat it on the switch tbh, definitely better than Xenoblade 2.
Different from octopath, but a more enjoyable experience for me overall.

Octopath scratches that old styled rpg itch, but apart from a enjoyable battle and progression system I found octopath bland (story wise) and while the nostalgia in the old graphic is nice, it doesn't make it good.

Xenoblade 2 is way better graphically and has a somewhat interesting gameplay and story, but takes a long ass time to get going, and even then there will be some annoyances.

Lost sphere is just a lesser octopath traveler that goes for crono trigger feel instead of ff6 feel.
Ultimately has the same issues, but doesn't have a enjoyable development of the characters as opposed to octopath.

Lacrimosa of Dana is basically lesser graphically than Xenoblade 2, but is much more easy to get into as you won't have 20 hours of tutorials. The fighting is also more fast-paced which to me is the whole point of going from turn-based rpg and to action-based rpg. So where Xenoblades combat is good when you finally get into it, you will understand lacrimosa of Dana in half an hour or so. Can't speak about the story yet of course, but just the premise of being stranded on a island and having to explore, evolve and work to get off it is quite interesting for me.
I always loved leveling up skills, weapon/armor Smith and other stuff, and now I feel like I get a lot of it.

Edit:
Apart from the troubles of enemies not moving around before you are close to them (performance or coding issue), I've had the game freezing completely twice. First time the home button sorted the issue, second time i had to restart the software and lost a few minutes of gametime.

Last edited:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Got one. It's my first ever Nintendo product, always have been a SEGA/Playstation man. I played a bit from a cousin who was visiting and loved it, and having seen an offer where buying a Switch they would offer a game of my choosing, I didn't hesitate (BOTW of course).

The thing I most enjoyed about it was the way I could play it in a lighter mood and shorter sessions. I always play PS in long sessions, dark room, cigarrettes, full immersion. With this one I feel it's an equally compelling, but lighter and healthier form of entertainment. Will still use the PS4 for a few AA titles (Overwatch, RDR) but overall am thinking of changing my gaming patterns.
I don't have time for the long gaming sessions anymore so the Switch has really been perfect for me.

haram

I just bought one for £275 with Mario Odyssey. I was going to sell the game and get Zelda instead but it appears the game is just a digital download. It's being delivered on Friday.

Member 39557

I just bought one for £275 with Mario Odyssey. I was going to sell the game and get Zelda instead but it appears the game is just a digital download. It's being delivered on Friday.
Argos on eBay?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Just finished Lacrimosa of Dana with 100% done (have the post-game dungeon left).
Yeah, it's the best rpg i've played in a very long time. Certainly the game I've enjoyed the most playing on the switch.

Edit 3.5 hours later:
100% the post-game dungeon now.
Shesh, glad i stocked up on extra-potions for the last boss, otherwise he would have given me some major trouble. :lol:

The story is very much a mix of Final Fantasy & Suikoden 4, while the gameplay is just a more fast-paced version of Xenoblade.

Will update once more when I've got S rank on all the raids & hunts, if i can be bothered to do them. Just need a couple more raids but hunts are not my thing. :p

Apart from the short playtime, it right now feels like the rpg I've enjoyed the most since Shadow hearts 1&2.

Last edited:

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Just finished Lacrimosa of Dana with 100% done (have the post-game dungeon left).
Yeah, it's the best rpg i've played in a very long time. Certainly the game I've enjoyed the most playing on the switch.

Edit 3.5 hours later:
100% the post-game dungeon now.
Shesh, glad i stocked up on extra-potions for the last boss, otherwise he would have given me some major trouble. :lol:
If you're into RPGs you might wanna try cosmic start heroine next. I'm about two hours in and it's great so far.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
If you're into RPGs you might wanna try cosmic start heroine next. I'm about two hours in and it's great so far.
Looks like a poor Chrono Trigger, especially graphically.
I'm generally not a fan of games that go way back graphically to try to capture the nostalgia feeling, in those cases they have to compete with Chrono Trigger or FF6 replays to be worth it, a 8/10 won't do in other words.

Think I might do a ng+ of Lacrimosa of Dana now that I know everything to see if there were obvious signs early on. After that I still have a tiny bit left of Octopath traveler, world of final fantasy, The Witcher 3 (from almost completed Skellige), Divinity Original sin 1&2, Pillars of Eternity 1&2 & the final part of Ni no kuni 2... And for when I get really bored I have Tales of Symphonia, Zestria & Berseria (figured when I play them I'll do them all). :drool:

Looked over earlier YS titles, but I don't think I'll enjoy their gameplay as much as Lacrimosa of Dana, so I'll keep a lookout for the next entry to the series.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Don't think I've ever hated a game as much as Xenoblade 2 that I've then stuck with and have done a total U-turn and decided it's really good (not great, but really good). But my god, you really need to stick with it. Took me about 15 hours to even tolerate it and 20 hours to start to properly like it.

Also the Pro controller is great. Glad I bit the bullet and got one. Definitely worth it if you use the switch on your TV a lot.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Don't think I've ever hated a game as much as Xenoblade 2 that I've then stuck with and have done a total U-turn and decided it's really good (not great, but really good). But my god, you really need to stick with it. Took me about 15 hours to even tolerate it and 20 hours to start to properly like it.

Also the Pro controller is great. Glad I bit the bullet and got one. Definitely worth it if you use the switch on your TV a lot.
Absolutely. It takes a eternity to get going both in the story & for you to be comfortable and fully introduced to their systems. They should've simplified the explanations a bit & thrown more at you at the time to shorten that long tutorial period. That said, It's a great game. Ys8 next for you and you can have a better experience and enjoy it more or less immediately. :D

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Absolutely. It takes a eternity to get going both in the story & for you to be comfortable and fully introduced to their systems. They should've simplified the explanations a bit & thrown more at you at the time to shorten that long tutorial period. That said, It's a great game. Ys8 next for you and you can have a better experience and enjoy it more or less immediately. :D
Octopath is next mate :)

Liking the sounds of Ys8 though, although it is much cheaper on the PS4 so not sure what platform to get it for. Would be nice to have the portability options but I used my Switch on TV 80% of the time anyway, though I do much prefer the Switch Pro controller to the PS4 controller and it helps that it doesn't run out of juice after like 3 hours.

Also you haven't finished The Witcher 3 or started Divinity 2? Shame on you!

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Octopath is next mate :)

Liking the sounds of Ys8 though, although it is much cheaper on the PS4 so not sure what platform to get it for. Would be nice to have the portability options but I used my Switch on TV 80% of the time anyway, though I do much prefer the Switch Pro controller to the PS4 controller and it helps that it doesn't run out of juice after like 3 hours.

Also you haven't finished The Witcher 3 or started Divinity 2? Shame on you!
I've experiened 2 game-freezes on the switch, but I bought the switch so I could have good rpg's on the go (and the steam version is reportedly filled with bugs). The Switch & the PS4 version should be the same, maybe bugs are different. The PSV version doesn't have the post-game content. The argument for switch is obviously to have it on the go, but I also have a extra docking set up with one of my PC-screens, so if I want to play it on a bigger screen then I just had to pop it in here.
I'm more fragile than average, but I got a bit tired holding the switch while spamming the jump and dash buttons to move as fast as possible and found the pro controller far superior to play on for the switch, just as a recommendation if you have it.

Good luck on Octopath. One of the more enjoyable old-school games I've played, but the stories felt too bland for me to bother, so i just skipped them and focused on the grind.

I get tired after a while on TW3, but I'll head back in there soon to "wrap things up" (know i have a fair bit more to do), as for Divinity 2, I've started it but enjoyed the first more so put it in my backlog as I was playing through TW3, Lost Sphere, Ni no kuni 2 and Xenoblade 2, then was looking forward to YS 8.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I fell asleep accidently with her by my side. I woke up scared, because you shouldn't do that, but she was fine, and I think it reinforced our bond. So many people told me I shouldn't get a Nintendo, I'm so glad I paid no heed and just followed my instincts. I don't feel I'm alone in this world anymore, we are two now and we will adventure through life together.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

But just think if you spend 330 hours on it like I did that’s a mere fraction of your time spent hating it :lol:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Jesus, how is that even possible? :lol:

My understanding is there's six chapters and after 25 hours I'm on chapter four...
I have no clue, I just got really into doing all the side quests too and getting all the blades. It was a bit ridiculous. Oh well the expansion is soon!

Twins

Jesus, how is that even possible? :lol:

My understanding is there's six chapters and after 25 hours I'm on chapter four...
There's more than six and you can get really lost in it if you don't focus on the main story.

Maagge

I fell asleep accidently with her by my side. I woke up scared, because you shouldn't do that, but she was fine, and I think it reinforced our bond. So many people told me I shouldn't get a Nintendo, I'm so glad I paid no heed and just followed my instincts. I don't feel I'm alone in this world anymore, we are two now and we will adventure through life together.
So you're happy with your investment then? :)

Maagge

Anyone getting Dead Cells? It looks really cool :drool:
I've been looking at it. Sounds good, so I'll probably pick it up at some point.
Right now I'm debating whether I should get one of the big titles like Mario or Zelda before I leave for South Korea for work for a couple of months. It's a bit risky as I'm handing in my PhD thesis in the end of my stay there so maybe I shouldn't waste my time on gaming too much.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I've been looking at it. Sounds good, so I'll probably pick it up at some point.
Right now I'm debating whether I should get one of the big titles like Mario or Zelda before I leave for South Korea for work for a couple of months. It's a bit risky as I'm handing in my PhD thesis in the end of my stay there so maybe I shouldn't waste my time on gaming too much.
You've got a Switch and haven't played Mario or Zelda yet? :D

I can't not recommend them, but Zelda especially will likely suck you in a take a lot of your time, so... be warned :lol:

Maagge

You've got a Switch and haven't played Mario or Zelda yet? :D
Yeah I'm a bit strange with stuff like that. I'll make a list of games I want to play, then I'll mostly buy one at a time. Meaning I won't buy the next one until I'm done with the first one. Furthermore I'll often buy the cheapest on my list first (or if anything's on sale). The hope is that the games' prices will fall over time or there'll be a "Game of the Year"-edition or similar.
I can't not recommend them, but Zelda especially will likely suck you in a take a lot of your time, so... be warned :lol:
Yeah that's why I'm cautious. Back when I had exams after every semester I would never start up a new game until after I had finished the exams. To my detriment I'm great at going "just one more level/match/checkpoint".

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Yeah I'm a bit strange with stuff like that. I'll make a list of games I want to play, then I'll mostly buy one at a time. Meaning I won't buy the next one until I'm done with the first one. Furthermore I'll often buy the cheapest on my list first (or if anything's on sale). The hope is that the games' prices will fall over time or there'll be a "Game of the Year"-edition or similar.

Yeah that's why I'm cautious. Back when I had exams after every semester I would never start up a new game until after I had finished the exams. To my detriment I'm great at going "just one more level/match/checkpoint".
Ah I see, fair enough!

It might be best to wait to play those until you get back, and just stick with smaller games for now. If you've waited this long, then another couple of months wont make much difference!

Maagge

Ah I see, fair enough!

It might be best to wait to play those until you get back, and just stick with smaller games for now. If you've waited this long, then another couple of months wont make much difference!
True, plus there are plenty of good indie games. I'm still playing Hollow Knight at the moment. When I get back I'll probably be unemployed for a little while as well. Can't wait to have time for some proper gaming. :drool:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
True, plus there are plenty of good indie games. I'm still playing Hollow Knight at the moment. When I get back I'll probably be unemployed for a little while as well. Can't wait to have time for some proper gaming. :drool:
Yep, I reckon from now on whatever consoles I have, the majority of my games will be indie stuff. Hollow Knight looks great, I want to play that some time.

Having no job is always a good time for playing games :D

Maagge

Yep, I reckon from now on whatever consoles I have, the majority of my games will be indie stuff. Hollow Knight looks great, I want to play that some time.

Having no job is always a good time for playing games :D
You really liked Axiom Verge, right?
If so you should really give Hollow Knight a go at some point.

Twins

Yeah definitely. I actually haven't played Axiom Verge for a while, need to get back to it some time.
I haven't played Axiom Verge (yet) however I can second Hollow Knight - it's has such an amazing atmosphere and the boss fights are fun, plus it's huge!