Gaming Nintendo Switch

Havak

Pokemon master
It does look really uncomfortable and very gimmicky, but VR itself is exactly that regardless of which model you choose and how much money you invest in it anyway.

I think this is just testing the waters though. I wouldn't be surprised if when the more powerful Switch is released it is capable of outputting 1080p on the tablet and the tablet itself has a built in gyro. Along with that, they'd release a headset more akin to the Google DayDream so it's more comfortable. However, if the interest isn't there, I doubt Nintendo will bother going that deep into VR. They're doing things right by adding a gimmick to another gimmick (VR to Labo).

Shark

@NotShark
There's a lot of indie shite flooding through the switch store isn't there? kind of difficult finding the gems among the junk, seems like forever since I've bought a game for it.

Shark

@NotShark
It's not different to any other online store in that regard, it's the nature of the beast. You just do your homework.
Oh I know, but IMO Nintendo really need to stop letting so much mobile puzzle games ect onto the store, and the mad thing is they cost more than on actual mobiles. I went into look at discounts last night and there's a lot of indie stuff there too, nothing against indie games, I own some but wish Nintendo would give more discounts for more popular games too.

EvilChuck

So hyped for Switch over the next couple of weeks. The Ace Attorney OG trilogy next week, and Cuphead the week after. Really liked the look of Rad on the Indie Direct too.

Heard some rumours that Zelda Twilight Princess and Wind Waker might also male their way to Switch too which would be pretty amazing if it happened

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Half tempted to buy one for tetris99 alone. Watching videos of it makes me miss the days of redcafe arcade when I smashed everyone at tetris and then Weaste cried that everyone was cheating because he did and still couldn't get on the board.

Bojan11

I keep looking for decent offers because can never find one.

Any downsides to buying a used one from CEX?
Just wait Duffy. There’s a few new versions coming this year if you can wait. I think they’d be out by the time Hazard is wearing a Madrid shirt, so this model should have dropped in price by then.

But there’s a lite model and more powerful console coming out this summer.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I hate myself I’ve just bought Skyrim for the 900th time because it’s on sale

EvilChuck

Cuphead is actually ridiculously fun. Just made the second island (no A scores on any levels yet so there is plenty of scope for improvement). First game in a long time i have played that is purely skill based, no bullshit, and while extremely challenging os actually fun.

17 quid on the store. Its a no brainer for anyone with a switch

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Cuphead is actually ridiculously fun. Just made the second island (no A scores on any levels yet so there is plenty of scope for improvement). First game in a long time i have played that is purely skill based, no bullshit, and while extremely challenging os actually fun.

17 quid on the store. Its a no brainer for anyone with a switch
Bought it for 5$ using my gold points, charging my pro contoller right now to play it.

starman

Finally able to sell the Switch in China.

Going to be huge for Nintendo, imo. From my experience of how the Chinese consume video games, it will eventually outsell the PS4 & Xbox over there

TECHNOLOGY NEWS
APRIL 18, 2019 / 10:33 AM / A DAY AGO
Tencent wins key approval to sell Nintendo's Switch in China

BEIJINGTOKYO (Reuters) - China’s Tencent has won a key approval to start selling the Nintendo Switch in the country, paving the way for the console to enter the world’s largest video games market two years after it was first released worldwide.

Authorities in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong gave the green light on Thursday to Tencent Holdings to distribute the Nintendo Switch console with a test version of the “New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe” game, a statement on the government’s website showed.

The need to navigate complex regulations and the search for a local partner have hampered Japanese gaming company Nintendo’s efforts to bring its hybrid home-portable Switch console to China, holding back the development of console gaming there.

“Launching the Nintendo Switch in China is a massive opportunity for both Nintendo and Tencent,” said Gu Tianyi, market analyst with gaming industry analytics firm Newzoo, adding that other consoles, PlayStation and Xbox, have struggled to catch on in China.

“What sets Nintendo apart, however, it that its intellectual property roster - including Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon - is already extremely popular in the market. What’s more, the mobile aspect of the Switch is a great fit for China’s mobile-first culture.”

Tencent has traditionally had to apply for approvals from authorities in Guangdong, where the company is registered. Two people familiar with the matter said the approval by the Guangdong culture ministry would allow the Switch to be sold nationwide.

Tencent did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

It has teamed up with Nintendo in the past, with Tencent releasing its Arena of Valor game overseas on the Switch.

A spokesman for Nintendo - which has sold more than 32 million Switch units globally since its launch just over two years ago - said Tencent had applied to Guangdong authorities for approval to sell the Switch console.

GAME APPROVALS
Approving games and consoles for sale in China is a multi-layered process. The country’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism has oversight over game hardware, while games need to be approved by China’s State Administration of Press and Publication.

The statement, posted on the website of the Guangdong Provincial Department of Culture and Tourism, listed over a hundred game devices, including arcade machines, that it was approving for sale.

It said the Nintendo Switch would need to be sold with a test version of the New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe game. Test versions are generally distributed for free and thus do not need licenses.

The approval also comes as industry leader Tencent tries to recover from a lengthy video game approval freeze in China last year, which has put pressure on shares of the company and other gaming-related stocks.

The regulator has started to give the green light to games again but sources have told Reuters that it faces a big backlog.

Nintendo has previously released gaming devices like the N64 and the 3DS XL in China under iQue branding.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I see that a Castlevania collection is being released for switch and PS4.

EvilChuck

Just got through the second island of Cuphead. Beppi the Clown and Grim Matchstick can both die a slow painful death.

I died about 70 times on the first island, and 170 on the second. By all accounts the third island is even harder, so this could be a real slog.

Still, never enjoyed a game where I have died so much

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
With the current eShop sale on, does anybody want to buy a £25 gift card from me for £20?

Zelda is £42 which is really tempting, but I know I'll end up selling the switch at some point as I never play it, so there's little point me buying a digital copy.

EvilChuck

Has anyone used Joker on Smash? From what I have seen on youtube he looks ridiculously OP, which I assume is a ploy to get people hyped for the Persona 5 release on Switch

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda VR updates should be out today. Will be interesting to hear some opinions on it.

decorativeed

Does anyone have a recommendation for a controller other than the ludicrously expensive official Pro controller?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Immortal Redneck and Valkyria Chronicles are good shouts.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the list, I might get Telsa v Lovecraft and Time Recoil. Loved the other two games by those guys, Jydge and Neon Chrome.
VC was £8 if I remember and it's definitely worth that (I had it on PS3 and gave up because of difficulty spikes but it's a good gam).

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
The 3 resident evil games are out today. I really want to play 4 and 0 again but I don’t wanna play 30 quid each for them.

I’m going to though, but I don’t want to.

decorativeed

Anyone know what the deal is if your console breaks but you have downloaded games and progress in those games? Is there a way to transfer this stuff or back it up?

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Anyone know what the deal is if your console breaks but you have downloaded games and progress in those games? Is there a way to transfer this stuff or back it up?
Yes, if the console still switches on you can transfer your data between switches, if not then you had to have online membership for cloud saves but you can download the games using your profile.

decorativeed

Yes, if the console still switches on you can transfer your data between switches, if not then you had to have online membership for cloud saves but you can download the games using your profile.
Thanks. Hopefully if the console needs replacing when I send it for repair, they'll do that...