Gaming Nintendo Switch

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
What are the best games to pick up for this at the start?

Wanted one for ages but thought they were a bit expensive but gonna finally cave and pick one up.
Zelda: Botw, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 deluxe, Xenoblade 2 & download fortnite for free and you'll have most genres available on the go.

Santos J

Well it takes SD cards. You should get one anyway as even physical copies will install game data.
Ah didn't realise that nice one, will pick one up.

I always buy physical, especially Nintendo games as they hold their trade in value very well.
Yeah was just looking at second hand ones and there's basically no difference in price to brand new. :lol:

I've enjoyed Rayman Legends, Golf Story and the SteamWorld games. All of them are very affordable too.
Zelda: Botw, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 deluxe, Xenoblade 2 & download fortnite for free and you'll have most genres available on the go.
Cheers will look into all these. Got one coming with Zelda & Mario Odyssey so should keep me going for now with a few others I'll pick up.

Woodzy

Having a Switch means I find myself buying indie games that I wouldn’t think twice about otherwise. My collection is rapidly growing.

Axiom Verge and Hollow Knight are both great.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Having a Switch means I find myself buying indie games that I wouldn’t think twice about otherwise. My collection is rapidly growing.

Yeah I'm also playing quite a few indie games I've been wanting to play for a while but never got around to because I haven't really been gaming for a couple of years.

Havak

Pokemon master
Hearing amazing things about Hollow Knight, but I'm not really that into the Castlevania / 2D Metroid games that much (the games it seems to be most compared to). However, anyone who is into that kind of game should certainly pick it up. One of my friends has been playing it a lot, close to 25 hours in and hasn't finished it yet. For a game that costs a tenner and is such a good experience, I'd say it's a must-own. As good a 'bang for buck' title as you'll find.

I recently picked up Lost Sphear finally! I saw it for £18 on Base.com, so I'm glad I held off. I haven't finished 'I Am Setsuna' yet, so I'll be completing that before I start it. I've also got Crash coming this week, Sonic next month and Monster Hunter in August, so I've got enough to keep me busy for a while. I'm not sure if I'll pick anything else up then until Pokémon is out, though I expect I'll buy Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition whenever that's released as well! Quite a solid year even if Nintendo has slowed it down slightly on the first party titles. I can't really blame them though, they still have a lot more exclusives coming out this year than Sony & Microsoft do. Pushing a few first party games back to 2019 is probably a good move in hindsight, as it gives them more to help compete against the bigger games releasing that year.

GBBQ

I was quite snobbish about most indie games on PS4 but yeah took the plunge on games like Celleste and Axiom Verge on the Switch and they're just awesome.

Looks Like Hollow Knight is next then.

Maagge

Hearing amazing things about Hollow Knight, but I'm not really that into the Castlevania / 2D Metroid games that much (the games it seems to be most compared to). However, anyone who is into that kind of game should certainly pick it up. One of my friends has been playing it a lot, close to 25 hours in and hasn't finished it yet. For a game that costs a tenner and is such a good experience, I'd say it's a must-own. As good a 'bang for buck' title as you'll find.

I recently picked up Lost Sphear finally! I saw it for £18 on Base.com, so I'm glad I held off. I haven't finished 'I Am Setsuna' yet, so I'll be completing that before I start it. I've also got Crash coming this week, Sonic next month and Monster Hunter in August, so I've got enough to keep me busy for a while. I'm not sure if I'll pick anything else up then until Pokémon is out, though I expect I'll buy Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition whenever that's released as well! Quite a solid year even if Nintendo has slowed it down slightly on the first party titles. I can't really blame them though, they still have a lot more exclusives coming out this year than Sony & Microsoft do. Pushing a few first party games back to 2019 is probably a good move in hindsight, as it gives them more to help compete against the bigger games releasing that year.
I picked Hollow Knight up the other day as I had some gold points expiring soon. I've only played it for a bit, but it seems good so far. The soundtrack sounds great at first listen, it reminds me a bit of some of the best tracks from Olafur Arnalds' 'Now I Am Winter'.

20solskjaer

Anyone pick up the Crash trilogy yesterday?

I bought it purely for nostalgia reasons and to introduce the games to my 4 year old, she loved mario odyssey, its her first proper gaming experience and i thought crash would be good for her, she lost all her lifes within about 5 minutes then continued and lost them all straight away again, she turns to me and says "daddy can i play mario?" :lol:

Shes not shown an interest in it since

I really enjoyed the hour or so i played it when she went to bed, still love the hog rides

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Kids these days struggle on the old games at first :lol:

My boys have no concept that I had to play and complete games like Final Fantasy/Ze;da and all that pre-internet so we had no help and had to do it all ourselves!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Has anyone played Hollow Knight yet? Was thinking of picking it up on the Switch but I'm a little skeptical at the moment.

Coxy

Has anyone played Hollow Knight yet? Was thinking of picking it up on the Switch but I'm a little skeptical at the moment.
Read this page - 2 or 3 of us are playing it!

Why are you sceptical ? It's amazing. Hard, but amazing.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

I bought it purely for nostalgia reasons and to introduce the games to my 4 year old, she loved mario odyssey, its her first proper gaming experience and i thought crash would be good for her, she lost all her lifes within about 5 minutes then continued and lost them all straight away again, she turns to me and says "daddy can i play mario?" :lol:

I really enjoyed the hour or so i played it when she went to bed, still love the hog rides
She should like Spyro when it eventually comes out on the Switch. Think I first played Crash when I was 6 and Spyro when I was 8.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Read this page - 2 or 3 of us are playing it!

Why are you sceptical ? It's amazing. Hard, but amazing.
:lol: That's how lazy i am!

Well i don't mind metroidvania games, but i find they can be a little too esoteric sometimes which leads to frustration. I've also read that this game can be very frustrating for the first few hours but will improve drastically after that.

That's what's putting me off. Not sure if i have the patience to stick with it for those first few hours.

Coxy

Well i don't mind metroidvania games, but i find they can be a little too esoteric sometimes which leads to frustration. I've also read that this game can be very frustrating for the first few hours but will improve drastically after that.

That's what's putting me off. Not sure if i have the patience to stick with it for those first few hours.
It’s cheap enough to take a risk mate! I’m not that far in - and keep dying against the bosses - but love it.

Have you played Ori and the blind forest? Reminds me of that (but not as good)

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It’s cheap enough to take a risk mate! I’m not that far in - and keep dying against the bosses - but love it.

Have you played Ori and the blind forest? Reminds me of that (but not as good)
I haven't, no. Don't own an Xbox. Look great though.

Yeah, i'll probably take the plunge and get it tbh. I'm not really playing anything on the Switch at the moment so i was looking for something to get stuck into.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I'm at the final boss in DKTF and next for me is Hollow Knight, I will tell you whag I think after a couple hours in tomorrow.

20solskjaer

You have a very smart child!
Shes amazing, has spent the last 3 days asking me why i havnt bought the mario basketball game yet, then spends about 2 seconds after saying it looking puzzled before realising its tennis

She should like Spyro when it eventually comes out on the Switch. Think I first played Crash when I was 6 and Spyro when I was 8.
Im looking forward to spyro too, the switch is turning out to be great for platform fans, ive already got mario odyssey, donkey kong country and crash, and sonic on the way in about 3 weeks

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect

:lol:

Starting to think Dark Souls on Switch might be a mistake; Slippery Climb has made me nearly throw my Switch about a dozen times today :lol:

Maagge

I've now played a bit more of Hollow Knight. And I reallly want to go back and play more only I can't right now. I've just finished my second boss fight (although I think I've finished an optional one as well) and I'm starting to come to grips with everything, and I'm sure the fact I've just unlocked a dash will help me immensely. But it's definitely not very forgiving and I've already died a load of times due to be too optimistic with my combat capabilities. These bloody insects defend themselves. I feel like as soon as you unlock some of the stag ways (instant transport) or whatever they're called and buy some of the map upgrades you start feeling more confident moving around.
I'm kind of wishing I hadn't planned to visit my parents tonight so I can go home and play this.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Kids these days struggle on the old games at first :lol:

My boys have no concept that I had to play and complete games like Final Fantasy/Ze;da and all that pre-internet so we had no help and had to do it all ourselves!
Gamers these days don’t know how easy they get it in comparison to what old farts like us went through.

I remember sneakily leaving my NES on all night with the game Rygar paused as it didn’t have a save function :lol:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
38 hours on a 15$ game, full of fun and exploring and only 80% completion! 60$ games should learn something from team cherry.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
40 hours in I can safely say this game is incridible, it would be a mistake not to buy it for 15$
I've now played a bit more of Hollow Knight. And I reallly want to go back and play more only I can't right now. I've just finished my second boss fight (although I think I've finished an optional one as well) and I'm starting to come to grips with everything, and I'm sure the fact I've just unlocked a dash will help me immensely. But it's definitely not very forgiving and I've already died a load of times due to be too optimistic with my combat capabilities. These bloody insects defend themselves. I feel like as soon as you unlock some of the stag ways (instant transport) or whatever they're called and buy some of the map upgrades you start feeling more confident moving around.
I'm kind of wishing I hadn't planned to visit my parents tonight so I can go home and play this.
Good to hear. i'll be purchasing this asap!

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Brilliant, brilliant game. I know there are some mixed feelings about how they're dividing the stories, but I quite like it.

Also playing Neverout a little bit, only got it since I had some extra gold points after Octopath etc, but I think it was worth it.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Octopath Traveler is easily one of the best games on the Switch, inctedible, enjoying every single moment of it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Quite tempted by Octopath Traveller and Captain Toad now. I am probably going to also get Wolfenstein and maybe South Park if I can find it at a decent price to play on the go.

Sarni

Since I won a significant amount of money at the World Cup and have decided not to spend it on any expensive gadgets and buy games instead I have gone and bought physical copies of Octopath Traveller, Donkey Kong and Mario Tennis and also bought in eShop Captain Toad, Thimbleweed Park, Darkside Detective, Inside, Football Manager, Celeste and Hollow Knight. :lol:

I think I got some gaming to do, I just got married a month ago though so have time on my hands now that I don’t need to prepare for the wedding :lol:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Since I won a significant amount of money at the World Cup and have decided not to spend it on any expensive gadgets and buy games instead I have gone and bought physical copies of Octopath Traveller, Donkey Kong and Mario Tennis and also bought in eShop Captain Toad, Thimbleweed Park, Darkside Detective, Inside, Football Manager, Celeste and Hollow Knight. :lol:

I think I got some gaming to do, I just got married a month ago though so have time on my hands now that I don’t need to prepare for the wedding :lol:
Would like to hear how you get on with FM on it.

Sarni

Would like to hear how you get on with FM on it.
I find it a bit difficult to navigate but I guess I will get used to it. I haven’t played FM for a few years so the game is basically new to me.

I have been playing Celeste for most of the time, wow it’s quite difficult but plenty of fun. I only just realized Thimbleweed Park is 30% cheaper on iPhone but I guess I would never finish it on iPhone without the possibility of using the big screen and it’s generally much easier to navigate on Switch so probably a good choice anyway. The game looks proper fantastic and has great atmosphere too.