Gaming Nintendo Switch

Cloud7

Just started Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive edition. I like it so much more than the sequel. The music is just brilliant.

The extremely English localization also still cracks me up.
How is it? I've been thinking about getting this after I'm done with Let's go Eevee

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How is it? I've been thinking about getting this after I'm done with Let's go Eevee
Have you played the original? If so, it's basically a remake, so better graphic and it runs smoother. There's also alot of quality of life improvements which make the game much more fun to play. Compared to the sequel it's a bit less over the top, so no Dragon Ball Z like cutscenes and 14 year olds with giant boobs and stuff. The combat is slightly more simple than 2, but still has quite a lot of debt.

Music is absolutely brilliant.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Was actually planning on starting Xenoblade today myself. I thought the sequel wasn't great though I still forced myself to play all 80 hours of it. I hope this is better.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Yeh I thought that concept sounds a bit tedious to be honest. To be fair was thinking of picking something up for short 15-20 minute plays so may pick it up once it’s a little cheaper. Also seen a lot of people recommending Hollow Knight.
Hollow Knight is brilliant. It took a few hours for me to get it, but after that it was a joy to play. And the soundtrack is great too.

Riz

Hollow Knight is brilliant. It took a few hours for me to get it, but after that it was a joy to play. And the soundtrack is great too.
Just seen it's only a tenner on the store, physical copy is like £30 on Amazon. I'll cop it on the store in that case, cheers!

Riz

I'd recommend Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Great game.
It was my first Fire Emblem game and the 3rd strategy game I played (I wasn't convinced by the first two, one of them was Mario + Rabbid (too easy even if every thing was great to watch)). It is now my favorite Switch game and is quite easy to learn.

Just go normal difficulty and don't take the classic mode (so the characters don't die). Then the game explains every thing. I don't think I need to look for info for strategy.
Then you can increase the difficulty for another route if you like it.
Really enjoying it so far! I enjoy the grind of leveling up and managing everyone so this has been great fun, there's so many different mechanics though that I have to keep looking stuff up - haven't bothered using battalions yet as it seems like another layer which needs attention, that a bad idea or can you manage without them?

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Really enjoying it so far! I enjoy the grind of leveling up and managing everyone so this has been great fun, there's so many different mechanics though that I have to keep looking stuff up - haven't bothered using battalions yet as it seems like another layer which needs attention, that a bad idea or can you manage without them?
You will encounter enemies later on in the game where battalions are quite important so it doesn't hurt to get familiar with them early on.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Enemies can't counter you if you use a battalion, that's quite handy. There's also some that do AOE damage or give status effects.

Whether you need em depends on the difficulty you play on.

Cloud7

Have you played the original? If so, it's basically a remake, so better graphic and it runs smoother. There's also alot of quality of life improvements which make the game much more fun to play. Compared to the sequel it's a bit less over the top, so no Dragon Ball Z like cutscenes and 14 year olds with giant boobs and stuff. The combat is slightly more simple than 2, but still has quite a lot of debt.

Music is absolutely brilliant.
Nope never played any game in the series. Looks like the sort of thing I might enjoy though.

JohnZSmith27

Sweet. Yeah it's great managing the class and bumping their skills. You can also recruit people from other houses to join yours as the game progresses.

Massive Spanner

Three houses is amazing. After Zelda I'd say it's the best game on the Switch. Think I put 100+ hours into it doing two of the houses. Must do the third at some point

Play it on hard, though. Normal gets piss easy after a while.

celia

You will be strongly encouraged to use gambits in chapter 5. You can probably learn on the spot while I think I did but it may be better to have a clue how they are used and what they do before. Or at least, be sure everyone you use in battle equip one (even Felix if you have him). Otherwise, it is fine to not use gambits before and most of the time in normal mode (but they are a big help for specific opponents).

Which house have you picked?

Riz

You will be strongly encouraged to use gambits in chapter 5. You can probably learn on the spot while I think I did but it may be better to have a clue how they are used and what they do before. Or at least, be sure everyone you use in battle equip one (even Felix if you have him). Otherwise, it is fine to not use gambits before and most of the time in normal mode (but they are a big help for specific opponents).

Which house have you picked?
Cheers for the tip will have a crack with them. Went with Golden Deer purely because Claude seemed more interesting than the other 2.

Riz

Three houses is amazing. After Zelda I'd say it's the best game on the Switch. Think I put 100+ hours into it doing two of the houses. Must do the third at some point

Play it on hard, though. Normal gets piss easy after a while.
Seen that on hard mode people don’t come back after battle if they lose all their HP, is that not really tough to keep enough people alive throughout the whole game? I’m only early into the game and have a had a fair few “deaths”. Some of the students can be 2 shotted so if that happens early on you lose them forever?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Seen that on hard mode people don’t come back after battle if they lose all their HP, is that not really tough to keep enough people alive throughout the whole game? I’m only early into the game and have a had a fair few “deaths”. Some of the students can be 2 shotted so if that happens early on you lose them forever?
Everytime someone dies you restart the level until ypu crush your switch out of pure frustration. That's basically the gameply loop of the whole series :)

Unless you're a crazy person that is ok with charaters perma dying.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Cheers for the tip will have a crack with them. Went with Golden Deer purely because Claude seemed more interesting than the other 2.
You heathen, Black Eagles are the only real house.

Riz

You heathen, Black Eagles are the only real house.
:lol: I do love the rivalry in the YouTube comments. Really does make me want to play the other houses after I finish though. Understand the storylines are very different later on for each as well? Can see already it’s a great value for money game to sink hours in to.

celia

You can pick casual mode (no death) and hard difficulty. Or normal difficulty with classic (deaths). The two choices (difficulty and mode) are separate. Once you start the game, you can decrease the difficulty if it is too hard but you can't increase it.

People say the Church and Golden Deer are quite similar (the 2nd part), so don't go Church after Golden Deer. These two ones are supposed to be the routes that give more the background while Black Eagles and Blue Lions are the more dramatic routes.

I picked Blue Lions first, even if Claude seemed more interesting before the final choice, but Dimitri is my favorite now. And I am not sure how I could have dealt that much time with Lorenz during my first game. Or maybe I would have learnt to appreciate Lorenz if I played GD, instead of being really tempted to kill him.

Last edited:

Havak

Pokemon master
What’s the news on Nintendo’s next console?
Word that Nvidia is adding a technology that can give the illusion of games looking 4K basically, a more complex form of upscaling that means a weaker chip can provide resolutions closer to the other machines on the market. I think this makes it somewhat unlikely that Nintendo releases a Switch Pro of sorts, it feels like they may just hold out another 2-3 years to release the actual successor.

We will probably see further console revisions though still - there's talk of something silly like a non-portable Switch model and there's always the better battery life / smaller design route etc. I highly doubt we'll hear anything from Nintendo themselves on a new console anytime soon though. They even want to be able to support the current Switch up to 7-8 years and we're only into year 4 here.

Bojan11

What’s the news on Nintendo’s next console?
It won’t interest someone who plays cod, AC or Fifa only.

It ain’t for you. Oh and next console maybe hear something about it in 2021. Don’t know if it’s a pro upgrade or a Switch 2.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Did you get the normal switch or switch lite? I plan to buy one in the next few days and I can't seem to decide.
Normal. Better value for money. I mainly play handheld but when friends are around (or I'm planning Mario Kart online with mates) I stick it to the TV.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Finished The Origami King last night and I think on balance I probably enjoyed it more than Odyssey. I certainly enjoyed the world more and the characters; they were just more memorable and unique. The only real flaw with it was the repetitiveness of the standard battles but that wasn't enough to ruin it. Boss battles were all fun and there was some great variety in some sections with the Shy Guys Finish Last quiz, the Shogun Studios ninja section /theatre battles and island hopping in the boat. Quite loathe to trade it in now as I could well go back and find the rest of the collectables at some point.

Oh and the soundtrack is fire too.

Last edited:

b82REZ

Anyone else played Crosscode?

Think its available on all platforms so the Switch it probably the worse place to grab it. But for me these 16 bit games just feel more at home on the Switch.

Really enjoying this game so far though. Some of the best Zelda style dungeons I've played and I really like the combat. The story is interesting too.

I can see a fair few people in this thread enjoying it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I bought Crysis and it has severe framerate drop any time there's several enemies close by. Anyone else have this experience?

Massive Spanner

What games should I get along with my new Switch? Is Animal Crossing good?
Breath of the Wild is a must for everyone.

Mario Odyssey is good but overrated imo - still, if you like platformers, it's worth it.

Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart are great for multiplayer.

There's a wealth of great RPG options - Octopath Traveler, Ys VIII, Fire Emblem: Three Houses and more.

I absolutely hated Animal Crossing but most people love it so I'm clearly in the minority, but if you like doing basically nothing on an island for a few hours a day then sure, why not!

But those are just the obvious ones - the Switch is absolutely packed full of indie games and ports of older gen games. You really won't be lost for stuff to play. Just figure out what types of games you like and go from there.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Get Darkest Dungeon. It lends itself well to short sessions on the go since that diminishes the chance of having enough time to smash your Switch to pieces in frustration.

celia

Breath of the Wild.

Maybe Mario Odyssey.

If you are in RPG, Fire Emblem is a must-have.

If you take Nintendo Online, Splatoon 2 is a fun game even for people that usually avoid shooter games.

And if you play with other people, maybe Smash Bros or Mario Kart.

I skipped AC cause I am quite sure it isn't a game for me, go watch few videos to see if you like this kind of game.

Do you guys buy physical or digital games?
Physical. Though for some games, it may be nice to go digital if you only want to play a little every day like Animal Crossing. And you can even in a way share digital games.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know this has been talked about a bit but I'm planning on getting a switch near September- that's not a waste of money with a new model around the corner in 2021 is there?