Gaming Nintendo Switch

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Been playing online multiplayer with some mates on Mario Maker 2 (and we chat on a group whatsapp). The most fun in gaming i've had since my Tekken Tag competitive play way back in the arcades!

celia

I know this has been talked about a bit but I'm planning on getting a switch near September- that's not a waste of money with a new model around the corner in 2021 is there?
We absolutely have no clue. Nintendo reveals new models really close to its sale date, I think it said no new model at the previous E3 then few months later it started selling the new Switch with better battery and the Switch Light. But it will probably announce early the successor of the Switch, likely in few years since it said not long ago the Switch was in the middle of its cycle.

Havak

Pokemon master
I know this has been talked about a bit but I'm planning on getting a switch near September- that's not a waste of money with a new model around the corner in 2021 is there?
Nintendo will milk this hardware even if it's underpowered compared to 'competitors'. I know Nintendo doesn't necessarily try to compete with Sony/Microsoft and does their own thing, but they do of course need the hardware to remain somewhat capable if they're going to keep getting third party support for newer games. I'd expect this to dwindle by the Switch is five years old and it won't be possible to get certain third party games anymore (unless company's continue to make PS4/XBO versions of their game for more than 1-2 years). Nintendo has to hope that because there is probably going to be 70m+ Switch consoles sold by the end of this financial year, third party developers will want to at least try to make a Switch version or even make some exclusive Switch titles.

I fully expect the Nintendo Switch in its current iteration to have a 7-8 year lifespan. It will be more like the Wii & 3/DS lines as even when there is talk of a new console, I think this would be supported continually and die a very slow death. If you buy a Switch this year you'll definitely get three years out of it IMO, so don't worry about that. Depending on the games you like, in that time we'll see more Pokémon, Zelda Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, more Mario, maybe even a Mario Kart 9, and plenty of other quality first party titles.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Any new model in 2021 will probably just be a pro version or something. Technically the current model is a new-ish model too cause they improved a few things like build quality and battery life (which basically doubled).

And Ninty don't really drop console prices so you'll probably pay the same, or slightly less, next year anyway.

b82REZ

Nintendo will milk this hardware even if it's underpowered compared to 'competitors'. I know Nintendo doesn't necessarily try to compete with Sony/Microsoft and does their own thing, but they do of course need the hardware to remain somewhat capable if they're going to keep getting third party support for newer games. I'd expect this to dwindle by the Switch is five years old and it won't be possible to get certain third party games anymore (unless company's continue to make PS4/XBO versions of their game for more than 1-2 years). Nintendo has to hope that because there is probably going to be 70m+ Switch consoles sold by the end of this financial year, third party developers will want to at least try to make a Switch version or even make some exclusive Switch titles.

I fully expect the Nintendo Switch in its current iteration to have a 7-8 year lifespan. It will be more like the Wii & 3/DS lines as even when there is talk of a new console, I think this would be supported continually and die a very slow death. If you buy a Switch this year you'll definitely get three years out of it IMO, so don't worry about that. Depending on the games you like, in that time we'll see more Pokémon, Zelda Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, more Mario, maybe even a Mario Kart 9, and plenty of other quality first party titles.
Looking at the store it seems Nintendo are content remastering or porting older games. Offering the option to play certain games on the go in an attractive proposition for gamers.

I see more ports of that type for the next few years as obviously ports of next gen games will be almost impossible.

Nintendo have carved out a lovely little niche with the Switch. It's my go to Indie title console and the first party IPs rarely disappoint. I can't see them moving away for a few years yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually release a Pro version with a 1080p screen though.

Bojan11

Is it worth getting the cheaper controllers or just paying full price for the official ones ?
I usually prefer getting the official one because the build quality tends to be better than the cheaper ones. A lot of the cheaper ones don’t have rumble too.

Sweet Square

I usually prefer getting the official one because the build quality tends to be better than the cheaper ones. A lot of the cheaper ones don’t have rumble too.
Ah cheers. I didn't really want fork out the extra on the official ones but if build quality is better than it's worth it.

Riz

Ah cheers. I didn't really want fork out the extra on the official ones but if build quality is better than it's worth it.
Also got the pro controller and very impressed, very comfortable and sleek but the thing that’s stood out the most is the battery life which lasts for ages. I’ve never charged mine and had my switch for like a month, still over 50% battery.

Sweet Square

I’ve got the pro controller and it’s very good, well worth the added extra bit of money.
Also got the pro controller and very impressed, very comfortable and sleek but the thing that’s stood out the most is the battery life which lasts for ages. I’ve never charged mine and had my switch for like a month, still over 50% battery.
Thanks. Yeah I made the mistake of getting non official pro controller and it plays like a turd. So I'm worried about doing the same again now that the joy cons have given up.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Thanks. Yeah I made the mistake of getting non official pro controller and it plays like a turd. So I'm worried about doing the same again now that the joy cons have given up.
I’ve just got my joy cons back after using Nintendo’s repair service as mine had serious drift. Have you looked into sending them off?

Sweet Square

I’ve just got my joy cons back after using Nintendo’s repair service as mine had serious drift. Have you looked into sending them off?
Ah one of my joy cons had serious drift issues for ages but sadly I didn't know about the Nintendo repair service(Until right now!) and my own personal repairs of sending it across the living room and turning it into a millions pieces hasn't proved it's health.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The Pro controller is incredibly good. It's one of those rare instances where something seems stupidly expensive but is actually worth the price, as long as you game a lot on your TV.

Plus the Joycons are so fecking shite for responsiveness as soon as you move more than like 2 meters away.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I got the 8Bitdo controller as a secondary but I use it as my main controller. Maybe it's because I came from PlayStation and it feels similar to that controller.

Sweet Square

These are half the price of the official ones and have great reviews (check out some vids on Youtube). They have gyro and rumble as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086TX8...olid=1XCOXHQQABPTS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'll be grabbing a pair so we can have 4 player Mario Kart.
Cheers will have a look into this.

The pro controllers have the same drift problem as the joy cons eventually.
I know feck all about gaming, does this happen to any gaming controller ?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
My switch has started making a really loud whirring noise and is blowing out hot air a few minutes after turning it on.

I think I better get my sons Animal Crossing save backed up in case I have to buy a new switch.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I got an 8bitdo sn30 pro+ as it works with my laptop and android too. It's a great switch controller.
I think most Switch controllers work with a computer as well. It's using Bluetooth after all. You can connect to your smartphone too, but that probably has limited functionality.

decorativeed

I think most Switch controllers work with a computer as well. It's using Bluetooth after all. You can connect to your smartphone too, but that probably has limited functionality.
No, Nintendo made the Pro controller to be Switch only. Steam unofficially added it to supported controllers, but anything non-steam, you'd need to get an adaptor.

Maagge

No, Nintendo made the Pro controller to be Switch only. Steam unofficially added it to supported controllers, but anything non-steam, you'd need to get an adaptor.
I've controlled Netflix on my laptop with mine though.

Maagge

I read a few things that suggested you couldn't do that kind of thing with it. So rather than spend the extra £25, I went with the one that definitely could.
It isn't great to be fair. Mostly because desktop apps aren't designed for controllers but also because it was a bit annoying connecting it to the Switch again for some reason.

Bojan11

Cheers will have a look into this.

I know feck all about gaming, does this happen to any gaming controller ?
Happens to Elite controller, which is one of the most expensive controllers around. The standard Xbox and PS4 controller can get it too. So can happen to any controller, but the latter two controllers it more happened after long use rather than in the first year.