Gaming Nintendo Switch

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I think 3D World port is much more interesting than the collection with the extra content and enabled online multiplayer, however, I'm buying both.

decorativeed

I get what you mean, but with the Switches large install base compared to the GameCube and N64 and the Wii having a slightly different audience they'd be silly not to try and sell the games at the quoted price. I don't even think it's that ridiculous with three allegedly quality games.
I just feel they should be selling these ports and remakes at a non-premium price that reflects the fact that they are exactly that.

decorativeed

I think 3D World port is much more interesting than the collection with the extra content and enabled online multiplayer, however, I'm buying both.
How much is that one going for? I picked it up on Wii U for £15 a couple of years ago. It's a really good Mario game for those who haven't played it. For those who have, I'm not sure the extras justify another £40.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
How much is that one going for? I picked it up on Wii U for £15 a couple of years ago. It's a really good Mario game for those who haven't played it. For those who have, I'm not sure the extras justify another £40.
It's full price, however, apparently Bowser Fury is a whole new campaign rather than being just a new world, rumors are saying it's going to be a rogue-like expansion, and there are some gameplay changes ie characters moving faster than in the Wii U version, I've not played the Wii U version so I'm definitely in.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I just feel they should be selling these ports and remakes at a non-premium price that reflects the fact that they are exactly that.
Fair, however if you want to buy a legit Sunshine and not run it through piracy it's 65-75$, Nintendo games sell for premium even when old and that's why a collection at 60$ sounds reasonable to me.

decorativeed

Fair, however if you want to buy a legit Sunshine and not run it through piracy it's 65-75$, Nintendo games sell for premium even when old and that's why a collection at 60$ sounds reasonable to me.
I had a Game Cube and a bunch of games including Sunshine that I picked up for £20 in a charity shop. I also got Galaxy for the Wii for £1. Trouble is they look shite played through the original hardware on a modern TV screen. Emulators and ROMs are so freely available now that most people who want to play these games in high def have been doing so for years already. I feel like Nintendo would sell a lot more legitimate copies to gamers who have been playing a long time if they put a reasonable price on things, instead of selling 13, 18 and 24 year old games at prices as if they are brand new. Instead it's like "Happy 35 years, let's celebrate by paying full whack for this old stuff again, that many of you already own!"

Edit: I've just gone onto the Wii U Eshop and they are currently selling 3D World for £19:99, Galaxy for £17:99 and 64 for £8:99. It's ludicrous that 3 and a half years on from Launch, the Switch E-shop still has none of these old Nintendo titles, and they're only now releasing them at these ridiculous prices.

Last edited:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I had a Game Cube and a bunch of games including Sunshine that I picked up for £20 in a charity shop. I also got Galaxy for the Wii for £1. Trouble is they look shite played through the original hardware on a modern TV screen. Emulators and ROMs are so freely available now that most people who want to play these games in high def have been doing so for years already. I feel like Nintendo would sell a lot more legitimate copies to gamers who have been playing a long time if they put a reasonable price on things, instead of selling 13, 18 and 24 year old games at prices as if they are brand new. Instead it's like "Happy 35 years, let's celebrate by paying full whack for this old stuff again, that many of you already own!"

Edit: I've just gone onto the Wii U Eshop and they are currently selling 3D World for £19:99, Galaxy for £17:99 and 64 for £8:99. It's ludicrous that 3 and a half years on from Launch, the Switch E-shop still has none of these old Nintendo titles, and they're only now releasing them at these ridiculous prices.
That's because they ended the VC program when they found there are more profitable ways to sell these games, it's a company, not a friend.

I totally understand where you are coming from though but why would they do the "good" thing when they can make more profit in different ways.

decorativeed

That's because they ended the VC program when they found there are more profitable ways to sell these games, it's a company, not a friend.

I totally understand where you are coming from though but why would they do the "good" thing when they can make more profit in different ways.
It seems counter intuitive to me. On the Wii U I could pay £5.50 to legitimately get hold of any Snes game and around £9 for any N64 game. As it stands with the Switch, I can pay £17 a year for online and hope that they add a Snes game people give a damn about to the Snes app, or I can download a ROM file for free from a dodgy website and Nintendo get £0.

20solskjaer

I’ve bought 64 on the erm...64, the GameCube, the Wii U, the DS and now here. Feel like a bit of a mug but they keep getting me!
Im the same with pretty much all the Super Mario games, had every main series game on their original console starting with Super Mario Bros. up to Odyssey

Keep buying the same games over and over again :lol:

I bought All-Stars for SNES, still had the originals for NES
Bought all the Super Mario Advances
Got them all on Wii and 3DS virtual console too
I now have Switch online so i can play them on there too
(And also bought a SNES mini even though i still have my original full size one with all of the games)

They’ll release then again in a few years and i’ll happily hand over more money for them, who knew a little man in overalls and a red cap would be so addictive, i just cant help myself :lol:

Dave_MUFC

Everyone asking why Nintendo are going with the limited release for FOMO, but it's a very good marketing trick.

I have a few games backlogged and would want this physical, but would normally wait for this one to drop to ~£35 used, but due to the unknowns about whether the physical release will continue after March etc. And pre orders going crazy, I'm worried if I don't pre order, it'll be out of stock upon arrival and scalpers will be making the used price of it higher than RRP.

So I've pre ordered it on SimplyGames for £42.85 and Amazon just in case.

Havak

Pokemon master
Everyone asking why Nintendo are going with the limited release for FOMO, but it's a very good marketing trick.

I have a few games backlogged and would want this physical, but would normally wait for this one to drop to ~£35 used, but due to the unknowns about whether the physical release will continue after March etc. And pre orders going crazy, I'm worried if I don't pre order, it'll be out of stock upon arrival and scalpers will be making the used price of it higher than RRP.

It's less-so that and more Nintendo protecting their IP and not wanting to give away too much value for too long. For how much love I have for Nintendo, they are tight with pricing and how much they want to give you. Realistically, you're getting three rather big games here for the price of one (of course, they're ports and should be cheaper anyway but as we see with Nintendo all too often, prices don't drop much).

I think Nintendo is doing this because they want to sell us these games individually again in the future. Or, they may want to use them as a hook to purchase the Online subscription etc. If Nintendo ever does a Virtual Console again, expect to see these remastered versions for download and it'd cost more to buy all three individually than this anniversary collection is.

I'm half tempted to keep my physical copy in the seal and download it as well.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

It's less-so that and more Nintendo protecting their IP and not wanting to give away too much value for too long. For how much love I have for Nintendo, they are tight with pricing and how much they want to give you. Realistically, you're getting three rather big games here for the price of one (of course, they're ports and should be cheaper anyway but as we see with Nintendo all too often, prices don't drop much).

I think Nintendo is doing this because they want to sell us these games individually again in the future. Or, they may want to use them as a hook to purchase the Online subscription etc. If Nintendo ever does a Virtual Console again, expect to see these remastered versions for download and it'd cost more to buy all three individually than this anniversary collection is.

I'm half tempted to keep my physical copy in the seal and download it as well.
The limited release is working already. I'm interested in buying it as I don't want to fork out £100 for it later down the line. It helps that I've never played Sunshine of Galaxy.

Althought half of me is tempted to buy a few copies and be that cnut that sells it for high price!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The limited release is working already. I'm interested in buying it as I don't want to fork out £100 for it later down the line. It helps that I've never played Sunshine of Galaxy.

Althought half of me is tempted to buy a few copies and be that cnut that sells it for high price!
Think I may buy a physical copy and a digital copy, leave the physical unopened and sell it for £42,000 in 15 years.

Bojan11

Think I may buy a physical copy and a digital copy, leave the physical unopened and sell it for £42,000 in 15 years.
Won’t be worth much when they find out a little rat called Elvis touched the shrink wrap.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Was considering buying this from Shopto. Finally decided to take the plunge... Then it sold out. Typical :lol:

b82REZ

You seem to be unaware that Nintendo games, especially their own IP rarely drop in price. Try and get a Gamecube version of Sunshine or N64 version of Mario 64. You'll be paying a minimum of £50 for them.

Factor in the limited period the collection is available, I think £50 is reasonable for arguably the three best Mario games. I actually considered preordering two copies because I've no doubt in 12 to 18 months they'll be selling for much more on ebay.

decorativeed

You seem to be unaware that Nintendo games, especially their own IP rarely drop in price. Try and get a Gamecube version of Sunshine or N64 version of Mario 64. You'll be paying a minimum of £50 for them.

Factor in the limited period the collection is available, I think £50 is reasonable for arguably the three best Mario games. I actually considered preordering two copies because I've no doubt in 12 to 18 months they'll be selling for much more on ebay.
I'm not unaware of that, because it's only recently true. Look at the Nintendo Selects range for Wii U. Loads of their Mario titles rereleased at half price a couple of years after their original release. Currently they are selling a six year old Mario Kart release for £50 on their eshop. Look at the old Virtual Console pricing, which was much more reasonable. They've clearly shifted to a premium pricing model.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm not unaware of that, because it's only recently true. Look at the Nintendo Selects range for Wii U. Loads of their Mario titles rereleased at half price a couple of years after their original release. Currently they are selling a six year old Mario Kart release for £50 on their eshop. Look at the old Virtual Console pricing, which was much more reasonable. They've clearly shifted to a premium pricing model.
Yeah, I have an issue with it for ports because I own/owned a few of them already on Wii U. At £50 I simply can't justify buying MK8 again.

Things like it make being a Nintendo fan hard to justify sometimes.

I wonder why it's gone up in price so much(?). I sold a bunch of Gamecube games about three years ago and Sunshine went for about £20.

Last edited:

Dave_MUFC

Yeah I got it from simply games. Now to decide whether I keep it or sell it hahaha. I'll probably keep it.
Yeah, same boat. I'd only really consider selling it if I'm making at least 50% profit on it, which might be doubtful for the time being, but could end up valuable later down the line..

Anyone think that Game and Watch they're releasing will become a collector's item or a dud?

b82REZ

They always did. The Nintendo Select titles were the first sort of attempt at a budget line of first party IP. That was also done in an attempt to salvage sales on a failing platform.

Wii titles are slightly different because the market was saturated with Wii games by the end of the consoles cycle, but some first party games still carry a fairly hefty price even now.

There are certain NES and SNES games that are worth hundreds, andt he s same applies to all but 2 of Nintendo's consoles

decorativeed

They always did. The Nintendo Select titles were the first sort of attempt at a budget line of first party IP. That was also done in an attempt to salvage sales on a failing platform.

Wii titles are slightly different because the market was saturated with Wii games by the end of the consoles cycle, but some first party games still carry a fairly hefty price even now.

There are certain NES and SNES games that are worth hundreds, andt he s same applies to all but 2 of Nintendo's consoles
I know all this, as I've owned all but one nintendo console since the NES. I still think this is a massive rip off, especially for people who propped them up during the Wii U era by buying these games when they were originally released!

b82REZ

Yeah, I have an issue with it for ports because I own/owned a few of them already on Wii U. At £50 I simply can't justify buying MK8 again.

Things like it make being a Nintendo fan hard to justify sometimes.

I wonder why it's gone up in price so much(?). I sold a bunch of Gamecube games about three years ago and Sunshine went for about £20.
I agree Nintendo have extended there greed to third party games in recent years, but i think that's because they know a lot of people will pay it to play it on the go. It does make it hard to double dip on those games

Reiver

For all the reasons you've said, I also think it represents good value.
On a more sentimental level, the game may cost £50, but it's hard to quantify the fun I'll have playing these games - which I loved when I was younger - with my son.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Anyone played Spiritfarer? Indie games isn't really my thing but it looks kinda nice.
It looks interesting, so I might pick it up at one point. I like Stardew Valley and Spiritfarer looks like it could scratch the same itch.

I thought you'd be someone who liked indie games, by the way.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
It looks interesting, so I might pick it up at one point. I like Stardew Valley and Spiritfarer looks like it could scratch the same itch.

I thought you'd be someone who liked indie games, by the way.
It very well could be my thing, it's just that I'm very picky when it comes to buying games, very rarely taking a plunge on unknown quantity.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It very well could be my thing, it's just that I'm very picky when it comes to buying games, very rarely taking a plunge on unknown quantity.
Ah right. I'm also hesitant to buy, in the sense that I don't really buy new games unless I've completed the ones I have already.
The good thing about indie games is they're often relatively cheap and go on sale a fair bit too, meaning you can pick them up for about ~£10.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Ah right. I'm also hesitant to buy, in the sense that I don't really buy new games unless I've completed the ones I have already.
The good thing about indie games is they're often relatively cheap and go on sale a fair bit too, meaning you can pick them up for about ~£10.
I'm kinda scarred cuz video games were so expensive as a kid that if I bought a game that meant I wouldn't be able to buy a new one for months. So, I got stuck playing the likes of Pikmin for ages, which was a decent game but a little too difficult for teenage me.

Havak

Pokemon master

Might be the last Switch exclusive announced for 2020. Rumours did say there was one more coming but nobody predicted it to be a new Hyrule Warriors game (although there is the possibility this could be in addition and there's still one more exclusive coming).

It's a Dynasty Warriors kind of game for those who are not aware, but it will go into the Zelda story much more, explaining and playing through the calamity that happened 100 years before the events of Breath of the Wild (so kind of a prequel but different gameplay).

Mario 3D All-Stars
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Pokemon Crown Tundra DLC
Bravely Default 2

Looks like the rest of 2020 for Switch.

JohnZSmith27

Might be the last Switch exclusive announced for 2020. Rumours did say there was one more coming but nobody predicted it to be a new Hyrule Warriors game (although there is the possibility this could be in addition and there's still one more exclusive coming).

It's a Dynasty Warriors kind of game for those who are not aware, but it will go into the Zelda story much more, explaining and playing through the calamity that happened 100 years before the events of Breath of the Wild (so kind of a prequel but different gameplay).

Mario 3D All-Stars
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Pokemon Crown Tundra DLC
Bravely Default 2

I wouldn't usually be into those Dynasty Warrior style games but I do like the idea of seeing more of that story. Might have to pick that one up.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Mario 3D All-Stars
Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Pokemon Crown Tundra DLC
Bravely Default 2

WHERE IS METROID PRIME FFS

Bojan11

The introduction of a more affordable Switch Lite variant in late 2019 helped broaden the machine’s potential audience and Nintendo is making preparations for an upgraded Switch model and a beefed-up games lineup for 2021, Bloomberg News has reported. Several outside game developers, speaking anonymously as the issue is private, said that Nintendo has asked them to make their games 4K-ready, suggesting a resolution upgrade is on its way.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...said-to-boost-switch-production-by-another-20

celia

I am looking forward to play Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. Even if we all know it won't end well.

I played Hyrule Warriors, so it will be weird to have a story that probably makes more sense... well I hope it makes more sense than the first HW.