Gaming Nintendo Switch

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's incredible how much fun Super Mario 64 is even today. Last played it as a child in 2002 or something like that and it's just as good as I remember it. :drool:

b82REZ

Sunshine has aged terribly.

The camera is awful and the controls are really unresponsive. I want to finish it before I really crack on with Galaxy but I don't think I have the patience.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

The camera is awful and the controls are really unresponsive. I want to finish it before I really crack on with Galaxy but I don't think I have the patience.
I'm going to load up my cube some point this weekend and see what's what as I played Sunshine through a few years back and it was still fantastic.

I wouldn't say the controls are terrible, but there is definitely some disconnect there that I don't remember being in the original. It's like something screwy is going on with the framerate and controls.

b82REZ

I'm going to load up my cube some point this weekend and see what's what as I played Sunshine through a few years back and it was still fantastic.

I wouldn't say the controls are terrible, but there is definitely some disconnect there that I don't remember being in the original. It's like something screwy is going on with the framerate and controls.
It feels like input lag. I'm really struggling to do triple jumps as it doesn't seem to register the button presses. It feels like you have to wait a second before pressing another button for it to catch up. I nearly threw my controller at the TV during the harbour level. I just gave up in the end.

Galaxy runs smooth as butter though. I cant believe I've never played it before. Only a few hours in and I'd say it's easily my favourite 3d Mario.

Redlambs

It feels like input lag. I'm really struggling to do triple jumps as it doesn't seem to register the button presses. It feels like you have to wait a second before pressing another button for it to catch up. I nearly threw my controller at the TV during the harbour level. I just gave up in the end.

Galaxy runs smooth as butter though. I cant believe I've never played it before. Only a few hours in and I'd say it's easily my favourite 3d Mario.
The triple jump thing is an original issue. In fact it's not actually an issue as such, they deliberately made the jumps a certain way (which turned out to be a bad decision). I believe they tried to make it easier to do for players, but it worked out the opposite because we were all so used to M64 :lol:

To do it, and all the fancy stuff (like spin jump/shoot), hold the button down. Like on the triple, hold it on the second and third jumps.

b82REZ

The triple jump thing is an original issue. In fact it's not actually an issue as such, they deliberately made the jumps a certain way (which turned out to be a bad decision). I believe they tried to make it easier to do for players, but it worked out the opposite because we were all so used to M64 :lol:

To do it, and all the fancy stuff (like spin jump/shoot), hold the button down. Like on the triple, hold it on the second and third jumps.
I'll go back later and try, but so far the game just seems off. Even if I manage to break through with the controls I think the camera issues will still prevent me from finishing it.

Tiber

I would love to pick up the Mario 3 pack, but I have spent enough on games this week.

I have never actually played much of Mario of 64, I wasn't really into the console. But until Odyssey came out Galaxy was my favourite Mario game, loved it

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I bought the digital version of Mario 3D all stars because I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere for a week and couldn't wait for disc version but kind of regret it. Have gotten into the habit of just trying to sell my games when I feel im done with them.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
In the original super mario all stars, the nes games were remade, right? What a shit, lazy thing this new one is.

decorativeed

What's wrong with Nintendo? Let's hope they actually remake Super Metroid.
To be fair, they announced exactly what it was going to be. You have the SNES app right? The games on there all run just as the original snes games did.

For a freebie (so long as you have the online subscription), I think that's fine. Charging £50 for three old titles isn't though.

The main issue I have with the Snes app is that there's still hardly any titles on it, and only a fraction of those are big ones.

JohnZSmith27

Finally decided to get Xenoblade Chronicles and I’ve really been enjoying it thus far. Happy to see that there’s a part two as well when I get done with this.
Been playing this myself the last couple of weeks. I'd already played the sequel when it came out. This one is grand but I'm not really getting sucked in. I loved the second one though. The music in these games is epic.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I'll go back later and try, but so far the game just seems off. Even if I manage to break through with the controls I think the camera issues will still prevent me from finishing it.
which controller are you using? Mine has been fine with the joycons attached in handheld

Spoony

The People's President
To be fair, they announced exactly what it was going to be. You have the SNES app right? The games on there all run just as the original snes games did.

For a freebie (so long as you have the online subscription), I think that's fine. Charging £50 for three old titles isn't though.

The main issue I have with the Snes app is that there's still hardly any titles on it, and only a fraction of those are big ones.

Ahhh fair enough. Anyway I've bought Zelda. Great thing about Switch games is that you can get good used prices providing you want to sell.

Last edited:

Redlambs

The only issue with the camera that's a pain is the lack of looking up in normal play. It gets better as you get to the other levels/used to it.

The controls are laggy though, I loaded up the cube version (Panasonic Q with a homemade RGB lead, so I'm getting 60hz with an American disc) and it was much smoother. Seems they have used the PAL 50hz version and scaled it badly. Which is odd, since the Pal version could actually do 60, but I don't think I ever tried that to see if it suffered the same.

But it is better if you do as I say, whatever junp trick you are trying to do hold the button rather than tap. Works fine like that.

Adamsk7

Played about 2 hours of Mario 64, formally one of my favourite games of all time, and was shocked at how bad it was. The game is SO easy, I hate how the camera is fixed so you can’t use the right stick to look around while you run (it shows how your mind plays tricks, I swear this was the first game that used that system but obviously not!) and the pop in and out of textures and graphical glitches are awful!

it looks nicer in 720p I guess and it’s good to reminisce but my brain has definitely filled in some blanks. It was revolutionary for the time and paved the way for 3D and how things work in that space but I wouldn’t have it in my top 5 Mario games today

Galaxy is fantastic and worth the £50 alone

b82REZ

which controller are you using? Mine has been fine with the joycons attached in handheld
I was using Pro Controller but just played in handheld and it felt a bit more responsive. I've started to get the hang of the different move set but not sold on it yet. There are some amazing moments but also some really frustrating parts. I've just done Mecha Bowser and loved the idea but then did a platforming section next level, where I had to bounce between jump pads and the conrols were horrnedous and I couldn't reliably move Mario.

Hades is pretty great.
Just grabbed it. I love roguelikes and this one looks amazing.

b82REZ

The only issue with the camera that's a pain is the lack of looking up in normal play. It gets better as you get to the other levels/used to it.

The controls are laggy though, I loaded up the cube version (Panasonic Q with a homemade RGB lead, so I'm getting 60hz with an American disc) and it was much smoother. Seems they have used the PAL 50hz version and scaled it badly. Which is odd, since the Pal version could actually do 60, but I don't think I ever tried that to see if it suffered the same.

But it is better if you do as I say, whatever junp trick you are trying to do hold the button rather than tap. Works fine like that.
The jump tip did work. I've found holding down on second and third jump tends to work. Also realised you have to be a lot more precise with your timing and hit jump just as Mario is about to touch the ground. In comparison 64 feels more responsive. They've really ballsed up Sunshine. I didn't play it in its entirety on GameCube but I don't remember it being this frustrating from the outset.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If you could aim in Sunshine like you can in Splatoon, it would be as good as the other two, but until then the central mechanic of the game feels like another failed 3D Sonic experiment.

EwanI Ted

I found it really lumpy at the time, and on the odd occasion ive booted it up since, nothing has changed my mind. The Fludd mechanic really slows the game down - its telling that the best levels are those ones where Fludd gets taken off you. Add in a handful of the most irritating levels in Mario history and its not a game I really want to go back to.

b82REZ

So I imagined my weekend would have been taken over by 3d All-stars, and while I'm enjoying that pack for the most part, Hades has pulled me away from it.

It really is an amazing game. Very similar mechanics to Dead Cells where you have persistent upgrades to work towards. The combat is absolutely spot on and the variety in weapons make the game feel different for each one.

hubbuh

Would the best time to get a Switch be during Black Friday? My friends bought theirs over Facebook Marketplace and eBay but I can't find any that look worth the price at the moment.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Would the best time to get a Switch be during Black Friday? My friends bought theirs over Facebook Marketplace and eBay but I can't find any that look worth the price at the moment.
Can't fully remember but the switch doesn't have a great history with price drops on Black Friday because it's always in such high demand anyway. Best you can hope for would be some sort of bundle deal with a game.

Havak

Pokemon master
The deals last time weren't amazing, but still good. With a bit of luck you might find some places with limited stock at about £250 or perhaps £300 with one of the better games included. Hard to say at the moment as it's selling so well already, but Nintendo might work with some retailers to come up with something to tempt people from buying a next gen console instead as they release just before. I wouldn't expect mega savings just yet though.

The lowest I've seen a secondhand Switch at some kind of trade-in store was still £220, so it's very difficult to find a sweet deal IMO.

hubbuh

Can't fully remember but the switch doesn't have a great history with price drops on Black Friday because it's always in such high demand anyway. Best you can hope for would be some sort of bundle deal with a game.
The deals last time weren't amazing, but still good. With a bit of luck you might find some places with limited stock at about £250 or perhaps £300 with one of the better games included. Hard to say at the moment as it's selling so well already, but Nintendo might work with some retailers to come up with something to tempt people from buying a next gen console instead as they release just before. I wouldn't expect mega savings just yet though.

The lowest I've seen a secondhand Switch at some kind of trade-in store was still £220, so it's very difficult to find a sweet deal IMO.
Darn, I won't hold my breath then. Cheers guys. My friend got one second hand with Pokemon Sword/Shield and Zelda for £250. Not sure if it was the extended battery version, though, which I would probably want.

Redlambs

If you could aim in Sunshine like you can in Splatoon, it would be as good as the other two, but until then the central mechanic of the game feels like another failed 3D Sonic experiment.
You can make it somewhat better by using first person camera and shooting with that when you want to aim properly as you usually have plenty of time with bosses and all that. Outside of that, the spin attack helps with multiple enemies.

But yeah, it was never great.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Having played Mario 3D allstars for a while now, I don't think this would have been worth the price without throwing in Super Mario Galaxy 2 as well or 3D land.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Finished Mario 64 which was still good fun despite the obvious camera issues. I'm now probably about half way through Sunshine which I have never played before and I'm loving it. Definitely can't understand all the hate it received, it's very good even today.
Saving Galaxy for last as I'm expecting it to be the best game in this collection.

b82REZ

Finished Mario 64 which was still good fun despite the obvious camera issues. I'm now probably about half way through Sunshine which I have never played before and I'm loving it. Definitely can't understand all the hate it received, it's very good even today.
Saving Galaxy for last as I'm expecting it to be the best game in this collection.
How are you not losing your temper with Sunshine? I want to enjoy it, I can see all the reasons I would love it, and then I play it and it runs and controls like absolute arse.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
How are you not losing your temper with Sunshine? I want to enjoy it, I can see all the reasons I would love it, and then I play it and it runs and controls like absolute arse.
Due to the lockdown I had time to (re)play some classics on the GameCube. Sunshine I had never played before and it really has super frustrating parts, even on the Cube. I wasn't aware it had a reputation for being the hardest and most unfair of the Mario games. Kinda curious now, how the Switch version compares to the original.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'll admit I'm having enough trouble with the camera on 64... Although I have always been of the opinion that almost every single 3D Nintendo 64 game is just garbage to play in the modern day. They have aged terribly, the only game from the ones I played often back then that I still enjoy as much is Paper Mario. I'm hoping to at least be able to get through 64 and beat it, but I highly doubt I will have the patience to get all the Stars again.