Gaming Nintendo Switch

b82REZ

Due to the lockdown I had time to (re)play some classics on the GameCube. Sunshine I had never played before and it really has super frustrating parts, even on the Cube. I wasn't aware it had a reputation for being the hardest and most unfair of the Mario games. Kinda curious now, how the Switch version compares to the original.
Its ruined the collection for me. Or at least tempered my enthusiasm towards it. Galaxy is amazing and runs brilliantly and I don't think I'll ever not enjoy 64, but Sunshine just feels bad to play. It's always intrigued me and do remembering enjoying it when my younger brother had it on Gamecube, but its either aged badly or they've ballsed up the port because for me its unplayable.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How are you not losing your temper with Sunshine? I want to enjoy it, I can see all the reasons I would love it, and then I play it and it runs and controls like absolute arse.
Really? I'm extremely impatient and usually put the game away if I die a couple of times in a row to some bullshit, but that has yet to happen in Sunshine. I think it controls really well.

b82REZ

Really? I'm extremely impatient and usually put the game away if I die a couple of times in a row to some bullshit, but that has yet to happen in Sunshine. I think it controls really well.
The controls are definitely off. I believe it's tied to the frame rate or something and the port has caused issues with it.

There's a FLUDDless area I reached where you have to bounce up some jump pads and the controls just straight up don't respond. The whole triple jump being changed from the way it works in 64 and all other 3d Mario games along with what seems like input lag means the game runs terribly. The harbour area is unplayable in certain parts as well

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
It's only the FLUDD mechanics that have bothered me about Sunshine so far. I had forgotten how hard it is, that octopus surfing, the non FLUDD levels like the sandbird, I'm dying like a fly out there.

Donkey Kong Country 2 just surfaced on the SNES app. Tempted to start that one but I've already got so many games on my plate. AC which I play for a short while every day, Sunshine although I'm taking a break after getting frustrated at my own suckiness, Witcher which I'm doing my best to get into but everything about it's just so...cumbersome...I'm missing the relative fluidness of Skyrim.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It's only the FLUDD mechanics that have bothered me about Sunshine so far. I had forgotten how hard it is, that octopus surfing, the non FLUDD levels like the sandbird, I'm dying like a fly out there.

Donkey Kong Country 2 just surfaced on the SNES app. Tempted to start that one but I've already got so many games on my plate. AC which I play for a short while every day, Sunshine although I'm taking a break after getting frustrated at my own suckiness, Witcher which I'm doing my best to get into but everything about it's just so...cumbersome...I'm missing the relative fluidness of Skyrim.
I had the same issue with the Witcher, I’d love to experience the story but not have to play it

unplayable

So after finishing Sunshine yesterday my 3D Mario ranking looks like this:

1. Sunshine
2. Odyssey
3. Mario 64
4. 3D Land

Haven't played the Galaxy games and 3D World yet.

Don't sleep on Sunshine, it's amazing!

b82REZ

1. Sunshine
2. Odyssey
3. Mario 64
4. 3D Land

So it's not lived up to your name then?

I'm gutted I find it so bad because it was the main reason I grabbed the collection.

unplayable

So it's not lived up to your name then?

I'm gutted I find it so bad because it was the main reason I grabbed the collection.
I personally think it controls like a dream, but I know that's a bit controversial. :D

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I still haven't opened my copy of Mario 3D Allstars...

Is it worth playing or shall I leave that shrink wrap on and sell it later?

For context, I've completed 64 back in the day, but never played Sunshine or Galaxy.

The thing that annoys me about this collection is the lack of Galaxy 2.

Would have been nice to catch up on the entire collection...

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I still haven't opened my copy of Mario 3D Allstars...

Is it worth playing or shall I leave that shrink wrap on and sell it later?

For context, I've completed 64 back in the day, but never played Sunshine or Galaxy.

The thing that annoys me about this collection is the lack of Galaxy 2.

Would have been nice to catch up on the entire collection...
Galaxy totally holds up. The motion controls can sometimes feel a bit wonky for this, but it's so long since I played it that it's like playing it almost for the first time. I find it better than Odessey tbh. I think if you have the disc version you may as well play it and sell it later when the stocks run out .

Spoony

The People's President
Zelda BOTW is a brilliant game. I hardly play it due to watching my son randomly chopping down trees and eating all his apples....because...he can. But the little I have played makes me wish I was left in a dark room for a few weeks to complete this. How do folk rate it compared to Skyrim?

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Zelda BOTW is a brilliant game. I hardly play it due to watching my son randomly chop down trees and eat all his apples....because...he can. But the little I have played makes me wish I was left in a dark room for a few weeks to complete this. How do folk rate it compared to Skyrim?
Completely different breed of game, they aren't really comparable overall. If I try I will say Zelda is one of, if not the most complete world ever built in terms of how everything works and interacts and the combat and sheer variation of what you can actually do is miles beyond almost anything else in that sense. Skyrim is more of a driven game with a story an impressive amount of content and lore (though still bugs be to this day how much it was dumbed).

Both are pretty much must plays, though Zelda heavily relies on your imagination and willingness to be creative as to just how epic it can be.

Spoony

The People's President
Completely different breed of game, they aren't really comparable overall. If I try I will say Zelda is one of, if not the most complete world ever built in terms of how everything works and interacts and the combat and sheer variation of what you can actually do is miles beyond almost anything else in that sense. Skyrim is more of a driven game with a story an impressive amount of content and lore (though still bugs be to this day how much it was dumbed).

Both are pretty much must plays, though Zelda heavily relies on your imagination and willingness to be creative as to just how epic it can be.

Yeah I'd say that's fair. I've only scratched the surface of Zelda but there's just so much you can do. Skyrim was also great especially for casual games like myself I guess.

Adamsk7

Zelda BOTW is a brilliant game. I hardly play it due to watching my son randomly chopping down trees and eating all his apples....because...he can. But the little I have played makes me wish I was left in a dark room for a few weeks to complete this. How do folk rate it compared to Skyrim?
It’s my favourite game of all time.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Not getting on too well with Luigi's Mansion I must say. The control scheme literally blows. When you're trying to hit a ghost with light you need 3 hands. One for each stick and another to press the button.

b82REZ

Not getting on too well with Luigi's Mansion I must say. The control scheme literally blows. When you're trying to hit a ghost with light you need 3 hands. One for each stick and another to press the button.
The shoulder/bumper buttons also flash his torch.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Caved in and started playing DKC2, and I'm glad I did, still an absolute belter of a game, way more challenging than most games these days. I'm kinda surprised that I managed to beat the hot air balloon lava level on my first try though, remember often struggling with that one as a kid. Ended up dying like 20 times on the Bramble Scramble level instead.

decorativeed

Caved in and started playing DKC2, and I'm glad I did, still an absolute belter of a game, way more challenging than most games these days. I'm kinda surprised that I managed to beat the hot air balloon lava level on my first try though, remember often struggling with that one as a kid. Ended up dying like 20 times on the Bramble Scramble level instead.
Man, I've been stuck on that for 40 minutes! And this is at least my fourth play through of this game since it originally came out on SNES.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Man, I've been stuck on that for 40 minutes! And this is at least my fourth play through of this game since it originally came out on SNES.
l0l, if you don't ace a level like that on the first or second try, frustration kicks in, concentration goes right out the window and you're done for. That's what it's like for me at least! I had to pause the game earlier as I kept dying too much on the Mudhole Marsh level where you have to jump on barrels that are getting shot at you which you have to time PERFECTLY. It's basically at the end of the level as well so when you die you have to redo a huge part of the level again to further add to insult.

20solskjaer

Im loving Super Mario Bros 35, anyone else playing it?

Had a few 2nd and 3rd places, no wins yet though

decorativeed

Just downloaded it after reading your post, as I'd forgotten it was coming out. Lots of fun, and I got a first place finish last night, which I've still yet to achieve in tetris 99, 2nd is my best in that.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Just won one! Had my best start by somehow racking up 200+ seconds of time on 1-1 and managed to maintain it. Thought I was going to get knocked out on an underwater level with no power ups but just made it

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on

1. Sunshine
2. Odyssey
3. Mario 64
4. 3D Land

I dont think you can really put 3d land here as it is not really a 3d game.

What you wrote gives me hope as I bought 3d all stars with trying Sunshine my main reason. I have played 64 and Galaxy before but have never seen a Gamecube in person let alone play Sunshine.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

Started playing today and became addicted. Got 4 wins so far

I’ve tried a few battle Royals like Fall Guys, Tetris 99 even gave forthnight a shot and never won one.

Mario 35 was made for us older gamers

Skills

Snitch
I'm thinking of getting a switch. Its the one console I haven't followed at all, but what's the basic starter pack in terms of games I should buy with it?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I'm thinking of getting a switch. Its the one console I haven't followed at all, but what's the basic starter pack in terms of games I should buy with it?
Firstly, get a memory card. The internal storage is very limited. I got a first-party 128gb and it was only like £20.

In terms of games, any of the below are good starters:

Mario Odyssey - 3D Mario platformer. You know the deal.
Luigi's Mansion 3 - 3D game based on Luigi, everyone loves it.
Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I haven't got this as it seems too big for me but everyone says it's amazing.
Mario Kart Deluxe - Well... how can you not?
Smash Bros. Ultimate - If you're into some fighting fun.
Mario Maker 2 - Unlimited joy to be had. Especially if you know a few mates that have it. At that point, it becomes essential.
Hollow Knight - Great little indie title and only a tenner on the Nintendo E-Shop. Well worth the money.

Hope that helps.

Havak

Pokemon master
If you prefer to download games, then as the above poster says buy a Micro SD Card as soon as possible. You'll probably get away with most Class 10's, but I'd always recommend SanDisk as they're probably the biggest brand and they're not too pricey now.

256gb: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-mi...keywords=Micro+SD+Card&qid=1602145224&sr=8-10

128gb: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-mi...&keywords=Micro+SD+Card&qid=1602145349&sr=8-3

They're fairly priced, even if you plan to buy a lot of physical games I would still suggest getting a 128gb and putting that in anyway at £16. I'm sure you will find some games you want to download as well.

If you plan to play on the TV a lot, I would also suggest getting a Pro Controller. The Joy-Cons + Grip is a reasonable substitute but I would not suggest it for long play sessions and as a permanent method of play. Sadly, the official one is quite expensive but I think it's one of better controllers out there personally. Zavvi has it for 'pre-order' at the moment so I assume they are just awaiting more stock. £50 on there which is the best I've seen.

Pro Controller: https://www.zavvi.com/accessories-n...VzLTtCh1l_AQsEAQYASABEgJaFvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you plan to play online, you'll need an online subscription as well. Don't purchase it directly on the eShop, buy a code from ShopTo. You can do a single account for a year for £15 or a Family Pass (8 Accounts) for £25 a year.

Nintendo Switch Online: https://www.shopto.net/en/switch-membership/

Those are some things besides games I would suggest at least considering, although if you plan to get a lot out of your Switch I'd put them closer to the 'necessary' column.

As for games, what kind of games do you usually play? Is it Nintendo exclusives you're mainly buying this for?

You can't go wrong with what @Dirty Schwein listed, some others I'd say are:

Pokémon Sword/Shield - If you liked the Pokémon games, it's more of the same for the most-part.
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - A great alternative to Mario / Yoshi / Kirby as a side-scroller.
Fire Emblem 3 Houses - Can be difficult but if you enjoy tactical games it's up there with the best.
Super Mario 3D All-Stars - If you can find a physical copy get it, if not still download it.
Astral Chain - If you like the Devil May Cry games and a bit of investigation / police antics this is amazing.
Bayonetta 1/2 - Two games in one, both great but particularly the second, see above similar to DMC.
Animal Crossing - Watch some videos of this as it's definitely not for everyone, but everyone seems to be buying it :lol:

I would be slightly wary though as there are big rumours again that Nintendo may release a new model around March-July time... Not sure if that's something that would bother you if you purchase one this year.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
If you prefer to download games, then as the above poster says buy a Micro SD Card as soon as possible. You'll probably get away with most Class 10's, but I'd always recommend SanDisk as they're probably the biggest brand and they're not too pricey now.

256gb: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-mi...keywords=Micro+SD+Card&qid=1602145224&sr=8-10

128gb: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-mi...&keywords=Micro+SD+Card&qid=1602145349&sr=8-3

They're fairly priced, even if you plan to buy a lot of physical games I would still suggest getting a 128gb and putting that in anyway at £16. I'm sure you will find some games you want to download as well.

If you plan to play on the TV a lot, I would also suggest getting a Pro Controller. The Joy-Cons + Grip is a reasonable substitute but I would not suggest it for long play sessions and as a permanent method of play. Sadly, the official one is quite expensive but I think it's one of better controllers out there personally. Zavvi has it for 'pre-order' at the moment so I assume they are just awaiting more stock. £50 on there which is the best I've seen.

Pro Controller: https://www.zavvi.com/accessories-n...VzLTtCh1l_AQsEAQYASABEgJaFvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you plan to play online, you'll need an online subscription as well. Don't purchase it directly on the eShop, buy a code from ShopTo. You can do a single account for a year for £15 or a Family Pass (8 Accounts) for £25 a year.

Those are some things besides games I would suggest at least considering, although if you plan to get a lot out of your Switch I'd put them closer to the 'necessary' column.

As for games, what kind of games do you usually play? Is it Nintendo exclusives you're mainly buying this for?

Pokémon Sword/Shield - If you liked the Pokémon games, it's more of the same for the most-part.
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - A great alternative to Mario / Yoshi / Kirby as a side-scroller.
Fire Emblem 3 Houses - Can be difficult but if you enjoy tactical games it's up there with the best.
Super Mario 3D All-Stars - If you can find a physical copy get it, if not still download it.
Astral Chain - If you like the Devil May Cry games and a bit of investigation / police antics this is amazing.
Bayonetta 1/2 - Two games in one, both great but particularly the second, see above similar to DMC.
Animal Crossing - Watch some videos of this as it's definitely not for everyone, but everyone seems to be buying it :lol:

I would be slightly wary though as there are big rumours again that Nintendo may release a new model around March-July time... Not sure if that's something that would bother you if you purchase one this year.
A good Pro controller I got was the 8bit-do controller. Feels similar to a PlayStation controller. I love it.

Havak

Pokemon master
A good Pro controller I got was the 8bit-do controller. Feels similar to a PlayStation controller. I love it.
I haven't delved into third party controllers since I was a kid and it was forced by parents refusing to buy the official ones :lol: but I have heard good things about 8Bit-Do and Hori for Nintendo products in particular, so I'd agree that if you want to save a bit of cash these are probably worthwhile.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I haven't delved into third party controllers since I was a kid and it was forced by parents refusing to buy the official ones :lol: but I have heard good things about 8Bit-Do and Hori for Nintendo products in particular, so I'd agree that if you want to save a bit of cash these are probably worthwhile.
The ones for Switch actually look pretty good - they were too for the Wii U now I think about it.

Personally I'd probably opt for something like this over the pro, just because it's so damn expensive (good though).

Last edited:

celia

I will add that you also need a Tempered Glass Screen Protector.

Fire Emblem 3 Houses has different kind of difficulties. Normal and casual (no perma death) is really easy. I really like this game and it is the first Fire Emblem I played.

If you get Nintendo Online, Splatoon 2 is a fun fast game and I usually avoid any shooter game.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I'm the same. I had a third party controller for SNES and it broke very quickly so I never got another one for years and years until this 8bit-do on the Switch because the official pro controller looked chubby and the 8bit-do was similar to a PS4 controller. I'm actually really happy with it and use it for most of my play.

I will add that you also need a Tempered Glass Screen Protector.

Fire Emblem 3 Houses has different kind of difficulties. Normal and casual (no perma death) is really easy. I really like this game and it is the first Fire Emblem I played.

If you get Nintendo Online, Splatoon 2 is a fun fast game and I usually avoid any shooter game.
Agreed. The screen can scratch (apparently) as you slide it into and out of the dock.

The Switch is quite cheap as a console but once you get all these little bits, it really adds up!

Tiber

Good deal for £13. I use a similar card in my Switch, it runs games just fine

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Ended up completing DKC2 102%, hadn't initially planned on collecting every collectible but after Cranky Kong gave me such a roasting after beating the game I aimed to prove him wrong. Kinda want to play DKC3 now, hope it'll be included in the next batch.

hubbuh

I've been wanting to get a Switch for ages so this is really useful. Nice one! Think I'm going to wait a bit and see what occurs with this rumoured new model.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I may have lost my Switch, or had it stolen. Or maybe I still have it and don't know where.

Is there any sort of force turn on (findmyswitch), check last login, last location etc.etc. I could do here to help out?

There is a conspiracy that my local Mr Tyre garage stole it from me but that's for another time

Bojan11

I may have lost my Switch, or had it stolen. Or maybe I still have it and don't know where.

Is there any sort of force turn on (findmyswitch), check last login, last location etc.etc. I could do here to help out?

There is a conspiracy that my local Mr Tyre garage stole it from me but that's for another time
No, it doesn’t have gps so you won’t be able to track the last location.