Gaming Nintendo Switch

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Switch oled came today and I've only got one game so far. Hopefully Mario Odyssey is decent.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Odyssey has been pretty damn poggers so far. Only just completed the sand world and it was really great. I love the switches to the 2d platformer.

ChrisNelson

Has anyone gone for the N64 expansion and is it worth the extra subscription?

I would love to have another crack at Ocarina Of Time but I've already got access to Mario 64 within one of the other games so I can't quite decide if it's worth it or not.

They need to release more games quickly!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Has anyone gone for the N64 expansion and is it worth the extra subscription?

I would love to have another crack at Ocarina Of Time but I've already got access to Mario 64 within one of the other games so I can't quite decide if it's worth it or not.

They need to release more games quickly!
I'll give you an unhelpful answer - no because the annual membership is bollocks and a few of the games emulate poorly (OoT being one).

For me it's one of Nintendo's more baffling decisions of recent years but when they release more games it might be worth the investment.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
:lol: For what it’s worth, I agree with the latter.
This is my first 3d Mario game (apart from Golden Sunshine but that doesn't count) and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. Just beat the first bowser encounter in the clouds and can't wait to get to the city world which I hear is by far the most fun.

Spoony

The People's President
This is my first 3d Mario game (apart from Golden Sunshine but that doesn't count) and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. Just beat the first bowser encounter in the clouds and can't wait to get to the city world which I hear is by far the most fun.

It's a brilliant game.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Mario Odyssey is great but it's always interested me how they switched made it playable in bite size chunks to suit the pick up 'n play nature of the console.

I'm interested to see if they stick with theatformula for the next game or if they make it a fully fledged grand adventure like some of the older titles.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
It's a brilliant game.
It is. I feel I'm probably going to need to drop £40 on the 3d all stars game given that the consensus seems to be that Galaxy (and Galaxy 2) is the best 3d Mario game. Seems a bit steep to be spending that much on a near 15 year old game but if it's better than Odyssey then it's easily worth it.

paulscholes18

IMO it's still hands down the best game on the switch.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Mario Odyssey is great but it's always interested me how they switched made it playable in bite size chunks to suit the pick up 'n play nature of the console.

I'm interested to see if they stick with theatformula for the next game or if they make it a fully fledged grand adventure like some of the older titles.
The older titles had pretty short maps as well? And you got booted from the level as soon as you got a star.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The older titles had pretty short maps as well? And you got booted from the level as soon as you got a star.
True but they aren't as bite-sized as Odyssey is. There's often a sub-world to traverse through to an end point whereas Odyssey has 880 moons(!) randomly scattered around so you don't get booted out.

It's designed differently, I think because of how Nintendo envisaged the Switch in the early days and the portability aspect. I'm really just wondering if they'll follow the same formula or make it a big bigger, like Galaxy/64/Sunshine etc.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Odyssey really did my head in with that damn Bullet Bill side quest and the Darker Side Of The Moon (I think that's the one)... Good game though.

K Stand Knut

Anyone seen any really good ‘black Friday’ deals for a new switch. Preferably OLED?

Lots of deals but nothing that is really making me rush to get it this weekend.

want one for my kids’ Christmas present

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It is. I feel I'm probably going to need to drop £40 on the 3d all stars game given that the consensus seems to be that Galaxy (and Galaxy 2) is the best 3d Mario game. Seems a bit steep to be spending that much on a near 15 year old game but if it's better than Odyssey then it's easily worth it.
The Galaxy games imo look and play really dated, I couldn't keep playing it because of that. I should just sell it as I have no desire to play it again . Odyssey is brilliant not sure how those older games are better. Plus the music is amazing.

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Anyone seen any really good ‘black Friday’ deals for a new switch. Preferably OLED?

Lots of deals but nothing that is really making me rush to get it this weekend.

want one for my kids’ Christmas present
You can get the normal switch and Mario Kart for £259.99 which isn't bad, but that's all I've really seen for Switch deals.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Waited until Cyber Monday to make sure that I wasn't buying games that would be reduced further before Christmas.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for £37
Mario 3d World + Bowsers Fury for £37
Zelda Breath of the Wild for £45
Super Smash Bros Ultimate for £45.

Planning on completing Odyssey and moving onto Mario 3d world. I'll open the other 3 games on Christmas day like a manchild.

K Stand Knut

Ok. So my kids are getting a Switch OLED for Christmas.

Plumped for a deal straight from Nintendo with Mario Kart and another game included along with 2 steering wheels and a travel case.

What games are a must? Kids are 7 and 9.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Plumped for a deal straight from Nintendo with Mario Kart and another game included along with 2 steering wheels and a travel case.

Mario Party is a lot of fun which my nephew enjoys. Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is also a great game which is multiplayer.

Bosws87

Super Mario Odyssey
Animal Crossing
Minecraft
Fortnite

Best for kids i can think off from a quick scan but hard to tell theres some 9 year olds that would kick my ass on Shooters and some that don't even know how to use a controller.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports

Get the switch online membership (like £16 a year) which gets you 20 of the best SNES games. Show them what sorts of games you had as a kid and get them to play Mario World.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Thrown in an RPG and get them started early. Fire Emblem maybe?

That's exactly the kind of game I'd have struggled with as a kid but look back on fondly as a cool experience - just as I did FF7.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Mario Party is fun for the whole family.

Which one's better: Mario Party Superstars or Super Mario Party?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
I imagine Smash Bros Ultimate would be a great game for children that age.

celia

Thrown in an RPG and get them started early. Xenoblade Chronicles or Fire Emblem.

That's exactly the kind of game I'd have struggled with as a kid but look back on fondly as a cool experience - just as I did FF7.
It depends on the kids. My nephew (at 6) started on Pokémon Let's Go and Pokémon Sword (and finished them) but he hates too much reading so he avoids talking to every NPC and Pokémon doesn't have that much reading compared to other RPG.

I would suggest more a Pokémon Game (let's go has an easier catching mode); Pokémon Sword or Shield is the most recent generation and Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl is the newest one. There is also another new one in January.

Zelda : Breath of the wild is a good one too, the kids may have trouble at first with the camera but if they spend time they will probably manage, both need to spend time though and not give the controller to someone who can do it easily.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a charming (and cheap during sales on eshop) game (with options to make it easier) though maybe someone else have to do the puzzle parts if they are too frustrating.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It depends on the kids. My nephew (at 6) started on Pokémon Let's Go and Pokémon Sword (and finished them) but he hates too much reading so he avoids talking to every NPC and Pokémon doesn't have that much reading compared to other RPG.

I would suggest more a Pokémon Game (let's go has an easier catching mode); Pokémon Sword or Shield is the most recent generation and Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl is the newest one. There is also another new one in January.

Breath of the wild is a good one too, the kids may have trouble at first with the camera but if they spend time they will probably manage, both need to spend time though and not give the controller to someone who can do it easily.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a charming (and cheap during sales on eshop) game (with options to make it easier) though maybe someone else have to do the puzzle parts if they are too frustrating.
Good points about Pokemon. I remember being amazed playing Red when I was that age and just going through the world was tons of fun. It seemed massive at the time!

I suppose Minecraft is another good one for kids to experiment around in. I believe there's a safe mode that turns off enemies?

Tiber

Anyone playing Brilliant Diamond? Would like to trade the Pearl legendarys then trade back