Gaming Nioh 2 (PS4)

Ainu

I found that, while I absolutely loved the combat mechanics in the first game, it wore out its welcome long before the final mission. That was without even doing all of the side missions, which eventually became rehashed boss fights where they just pitted several of the game's bosses against you at the same time, in the same old levels you had seen over and over. It was absolute creative death in the final stretch.

Reading the impressions on here and some of the reviews, this just seems like Nioh 1.5 with more of the same positives but also more of the same negatives. One of my major issues with the first one, besides mind-numbing repetition of both environments and enemies, was that they tried to blend a looter hack 'n slash with a skill-based Soulslike and it suffered as a result. There was always this doubt of "should I just git gud or get better gear?". And then there was the endless nerfing by the developer because players constantly found game-breaking builds. Never a good sign in a single-player game. All of that is still in the same in this game then?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The only thing hard about the bosses so far has been that shite dark mode they drag you into. But sacred water works well and baiting out their red rush attacks to get it over with as quick as possible.
I dunno, I see people dying to snake lady and panther all over. What's the trick to those? I admit, I'm not very good at the game, but a lot of people are finding this way more difficult than the first.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I dunno, I see people dying to snake lady and panther all over. What's the trick to those? I admit, I'm not very good at the game, but a lot of people are finding this way more difficult than the first.
The snake lady was just tedious more than anything. But the trick I found was to bait the arms into the floor and try to kill them before the dark zone then stay away as much as possible until it reverts. Everything else is easy to read and dodge, I haven't watched videos but I bet people are making the mistake of not being aggressive enough.

I'm not saying the game is easy btw, it's not a cakewalk! But what I am saying is the difficulty is disappointingly cheap this time, there's a lot more aimbotting, slowing you down (against the essence of the game which is faster paced) and wonky collisions. It all lends to a game that is less about getting good and making progress, and more about brute forcing the tedious nature.

Though the wonky collisions actually help on the giant snake :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Unfortunately it's not about git gud on this one, it's just cheap.

If you really want, the single sword and the stab on medium stance, with the ki draining kick at the end will feck the game up just like the first one. But it's very boring that way.

Oh and those core soul things are terrible, but the R2+O thing when they flash red is OP with a feral guardian because even if you miss (and you won't after 5mins of practice) you dodge just fine.
The wide sweep ability is actually quite good imo. So is the snake lady ability if it decides to go back and forth 3 times.

Redlambs

The wide sweep ability is actually quite good imo. So is the snake lady ability if it decides to go back and forth 3 times.
Yeah to be honest I've stopped using them mostly, but I imagine there are a couple usable in some spots.

It's an interesting idea, I mean a rehashed one at least, but I don't think it's developed enough.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I figured out the main difficulty model of this game. My attention span only allows me to try a level twice maybe thrice in a carefull manner. After that I get annoyed and sloppy resulting in more dumb deaths and more frustration. Then, in the end I decide to run past everything and smash my head against the boss until I win.

Gehrman

I figured out the main difficulty model of this game. My attention span only allows me to try a level twice maybe thrice in a carefull manner. After that I get annoyed and sloppy resulting in more dumb deaths and more frustration. Then, in the end I decide to run past everything and smash my head against the boss until I win.
Pretty much.

Redlambs

Failing that, corrupted switchglaive on hard style, with the defence scrolls. Dual hatchets with purity, again hard style as secondary. Forget the shit core things, unless in a pinch.

Then just heavy attack everything and work on your movement and pulses.

I'm trying lots of different styles and techniques (I really should make tutorial videos!) as I play, but when you get frustrated the above works perfect against everything so far. Even the snake bitch :lol:

(Oh and on bosses, DON'T summon, complete waste of time and will throw you off more often than not).

Gehrman

Failing that, corrupted switchglaive on hard style, with the defence scrolls. Dual hatchets with purity, again hard style as secondary. Forget the shit core things, unless in a pinch.

I'm trying lots of different styles and techniques (I really should make tutorial videos!) as I play, but when you get frustrated the above works perfect against everything so far. Even the snake bitch :lol:

(Oh and on bosses, DON'T summon, complete waste of time and will throw you off more often than not).
I find real life visitors quite helpful

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I find the paralyses bombs also make most things irrelevant. The bosses arent really that hard. It's mostly the haha I bet you didnt notice those 3 yokai hiding in that bush who now all jumped you at once. It's very trial and errorish.

Still having fun though. The Axe is really satisfying to use.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I remember what I dislimed about Nioh 1, it's too fecking long and not diverse enough to keep me interested. Starting to feel like a job now. I thought I beat it, but now it's going on and on. Bah.