Music Nirvana (the band)

stu_1992

My absolute favorite band, don't think anything will ever top this for me. It's so hard to pick a favorite song though. School, Negative Creep, Drain You, Territorial Pissings, Scentless Apprentice, Milk it, All Apologies are just some that come to mind now. And that's excluding Insecticide or any of their live covers. I could name so many more that I love so I'll just stop instead. :lol:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I always forget about Nirvana despite really liking some songs. I'm now going through the albums one by one which will hopefully keep them fresh in my mind for the future.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
"Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam" is on the shortlist for my chosen funeral song, but if I had to choose an absolute favourite, gun to my head? It'd probably be Lithium.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
My favorite band when I was a kid. I used to have a big flag with Kurt. I liked the music but I think I overvalued them a little.Probably I was attracted to both biography and music(something similar with Jim/the doors).
I think my favorite songs are Heart Shaped Box, Aneurysm, Polly's fast version and the man who sold the world.
As an album I think I would stay with Bleach. Nevermind is fine, but maybe I ended up getting a little tired.

Incesticide was my first CD, a very rare choice, from someone who had no idea what was buying

Andersons Dietician

Worth plugging the Ramin Djawadi cover of Heart Shaped Box for those who don’t watch Westworld (all his covers of popular music for the show are great). Blew my mind when I recognised it for the trailer.

That is awesome. One of the trailers I’m sure has a Kanye piano section, can’t recall from what song just always remember liking that piece of music .Keep meaning to look for it

Anyway Lithium or something in the way.

Minimalist

That is awesome. One of the trailers I’m sure has a Kanye piano section, can’t recall from what song just always remember liking that piece of music .Keep meaning to look for it

Anyway Lithium or something in the way.
Yeah the 'Runaway' cover is great too. Think it was used in this weeks episode.

Infra-red

Heart-Shaped Box or their cover of the Man who sold the world. Couldn’t pick the best album.
Great video, too, back in the days when people made videos. Mostly storyboarded by Cobain himself. They got Anton Corbijn in to direct, who would later go on to direct Control (which is of course the biopic of another famous musician who took his own life).

Anyway, beautiful song.

ZAGREB RED

Felt a bit old, to say the least, when they brought out the 20th anniversary edition of Nevermind, having bought the original one, although there have been four or five cases of that recently....

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
When Nevermind came out i was too young and skint to buy albums so had to listen on those posts they had in HMV. Stood in the middle of the shop on Market St in Manchester and listened to it from end to end. Went back every weekend for a few weeks to hear it again and was already looking forward to the next listen by midweek. Having to work for it made the music even more indispensable somehow.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've been going back to the old stuff I used to listen to in my 16-25 phase which was basically rock and some metal. And it's no surprise that, as with my teenage, even on my nostalgia trip it's been Nirvana that's hooked me again some 20 years later. It's hard to put a finger on what made Cobain the genius he was or what always draws me to him. But as I keep digging deeper and obsessing over them all over again it's Kurt's melody writing which IMO one of the best in history, and his ability to somehow combine virtues that you usually find in indie music (serious topics, no songs about dick waving about sex and money) with the mainstream. And what connects with me on a personal level - is how unpretentious his music was, how unfancy a guy he was and the fact that he was a bit of social recluse /misfit. Can't help but wonder where he would have gone next, it would have been one of the most fascinating careers in music as in his last few years he did make some comments which alluded to him possibly even going acoustic at some point which, given how brilliant the MTV unplugged sessions were, could have been something else.

Also yes I managed to get myself caught up in the conspiracy theories surrounding his death. Sigh.

caid

I still listen to dumb and all apologies semi often. I guess they're my favourite songs.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
My favorite songs are Negative creep, Aneurysm, Polly (quick version), Heart shaped box and the man who sold the world. Smells like is very good but I think I ended up tired of listening to it, like Nevermind

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Probably my favourite band of all time. Definitely my favourite band of my youth and a big reason I wanted to start playing music. Favourite song of each album:
love buzz, Aneurism, On a plain, Frances Farmer will have her revenge, oh me/where did you sleep last night.

they are so Beatles-y which I never really twigged at the time

Gonna stick them on now. It’s been a while :)

amolbhatia50k

Probably my favourite band of all time. Definitely my favourite band of my youth and a big reason I wanted to start playing music. Favourite song of each album:
love buzz, Aneurism, On a plain, Frances Farmer will have her revenge, oh me/where did you sleep last night.

Lovely. 3 studio albums and still such a strong legacy.

I've been enjoying School of late.

Ali Dia

Lovely. 3 studio albums and still such a strong legacy.

I've been enjoying School of late.
school is a banger! :drool:

There was a live bootleg album called Nirvana Roma recoded the night he collapsed after and it’s a crazy good performance. He sang his heart out. I had tickets to go see them in Dublin and I was 11 and my parents were going to let me go and try and get in with older kids from our school because they like music too and they knew how much I loved them. He flew home shortly after Rome and went into rehab and the rest is history…

caid

they are so Beatles-y which I never really twigged at the time

Just what i was thinking about All Apologies.

amolbhatia50k

Just what i was thinking about All Apologies.
About a girl was actually written after Kurt was on a Beatles binge. He was a big fan and and song is as Beatles as it gets.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
“Side 2” of Nevermind once you got tired of the hits. Always hits the spot
Like you, it was also my favorite band. Flags, posters, search for unpublished songs and an exhaustive monitoring of his musical biography.
Being coupled with so many memories makes me too nostalgic (in addition to being sad music in itself).
In general It depresses me so I haven't heard it in years(only negative creep if I need some energy), and that side 2 has several of those like something in the way

amolbhatia50k

school is a banger! :drool:

There was a live bootleg album called Nirvana Roma recoded the night he collapsed after and it’s a crazy good performance. He sang his heart out. I had tickets to go see them in Dublin and I was 11 and my parents were going to let me go and try and get in with older kids from our school because they like music too and they knew how much I loved them. He flew home shortly after Rome and went into rehab and the rest is history…
Oh man. That would have been some experience.

Ali Dia

Like you, it was also my favorite band. Flags, posters, search for unpublished songs and an exhaustive monitoring of his musical biography.
Being coupled with so many memories makes me too nostalgic (in addition to being sad music in itself).
In general It depresses me so I haven't heard it in years(only negative creep if I need some energy), and that side 2 has several of those like something in the way
Yeah it’s depressing in a way. I’d say live it was rowdy as hell though! So many bangers. I know Cobain felt like they attracted a really boisterous jock kind of crowd as they got more famous that he was conflicted about. The kind of kids that used to kick his ass and mock him as he said. he supposedly wanted to start making more laid back poppy acoustic. Like REM I remember reading. He’d have been putting out hooky profound music whatever he was doing. Rumour has it he wrote most of Holes live through this album too and that’s pure class. He 100% was a genius.

This is totally a Cobain number

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah it’s depressing in a way. I’d say live it was rowdy as hell though! So many bangers. I know Cobain felt like they attracted a really boisterous jock kind of crowd as they got more famous that he was conflicted about. The kind of kids that used to kick his ass and mock him as he said. he supposedly wanted to start making more laid back poppy acoustic. Like REM I remember reading. He’d have been putting out hooky profound music whatever he was doing. Rumour has it he wrote most of Holes live through this album too and that’s pure class. He 100% was a genius.

I did not know it, very good. Actually it fits perfectly into something that Cobain would do

Bratt

They’re amazing!
Together with Alice in Chains they are my absolute favourite band of all time. It’s one of those rare bands where you can make a playlist of all of their songs, and never feel the urge to skip a song.

Irwin99

My all time favourite album is In Utero. Just such a weird and wonderful album with bruising production.

The drums on Radio Friendly Unit Shifter :drool:

amolbhatia50k

The lead singer from REM gave such a lovely tribute to the band and expecially Kurt while inducting them to the Rock N Roll ball of fame.

amolbhatia50k

Was listening to the Unplugged set and while I knew that many songs were covers I didn't know the originals. They're such good covers and perfect choices really. His voice is actually brilliantly suited to acoustic as his regular low pitch is very effortless effortless the louder parts are pure emotion.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
This thread bump made me revisit Nirvana with St. Vincent on vocals singing „Lithium“ at the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's hard to explain the impact that Nirvana had on an entire generation of teenagers who weren't aware of alternative rock, so had only heard the naff 80s pop that they'd lived through.

I honestly think that the sudden, game-changing explosion Nirvana had is similar to how previous generations must've felt about Elvis and The Beatles.

It genuinely was a 'so this is what proper music can do' moment. Kurt Cobain's scream was the sound of total liberation from what had gone before. Like punk distilled in one man's voice.

And it'll never happen again.

amolbhatia50k

I didn't realize what good tunes "Opinion" and "Old Age" were when I was crazy about Nirvana growing up.

This girl does wonderful covers of the band even though she doesn't really really have the kind of voice that would usually go with their music.

Dan

Listened to From the Muddy Banks of the Wiskah yesterday, it’s a good compilation of live tracks.

MiceOnMeth

One of my favourite bands as a teen. I feel their music has held up the least though compared to my other favourites: GnR, Metallica and Linkin Park

Fingeredmouse

I've always had a conflicted relationship with Nirvana. They were absolutely a band I listened to and liked. I saw them live at the QMU. I do remember buying Nevermind on release day from Fopp on Byer's Road...the shop staff were playing it on loop and everyone was leaving the shop with a copy.

They were nowhere near my favourite of the late 80s and early 90s quiet bit loud bit guitar bands (they're from the same general soup as the Pixies not Guns n' Roses) and the absolute explosion in their popularity turned me off from them entirely to the extent that I largely had no interest in In Utero by the time it came out.

I have since returned to them and find them to be the fine band I listened to in the early 90s and I do enjoy the fact they are now part of the cultural furniture, to such an extent that pastiche tribute acts like Elvarna exist, but it still doesn't sit right with me that they have become the sort of band whose Tshirt you'll find at every shitty market between Bob Marley and fecking Metallica. Poor Kurt.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I never really liked them when I was younger, don't mind some of their songs now. Definitely made a mistake brushing them off as shit when I was younger though.