Nishan Burkart

as-95

Only applies from senior or u21 appearances, although I think it's the former iirc.
His mum is English
Article 18.1.a within the Fifa statutes outlines that any player who has represented their country in an official competition, at whatever level, would at that time need to have held a passport for the country they later wish to play for in order to be permitted to make the switch.

Just researched it. His mum is indeed English. But since he has played for Swiss U16's, I believe that he had to have a British passport at the time of playing for Swiss U16's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8961817.stm

Not sure how binding this rule is though as I can recall alot of Brazilian players playing for Portugal/Italy etc. They may have different rules to the FA though.

jb8521

He's fecking rapid
Yeah he has a real sprinters style of running where he looks to be on his toes all the time. Probably not surprising since both his parents were international sprinters.

Leonard17

Nice burst of pace from Burkart in yesterdays game

Expect him to be in starting 11 soon, especially with Dearnley out with another injury. He was a focal point when he came on, good work rate and movement on him too. Think he might get some joy this season, especially playing on the last defender.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Went to the game on Saturday morning and he looks very exciting. He plays right on the shoulder of the last defender and as a consequence stops the two central defenders having any time on the ball. His style of play allowed us to get back in the game albeit we couldn't get the equaliser.

We desperately need decent centre forwards at junior levels at the club so this is certainly a step in the right direction.

Leonard17

Went to the game on Saturday morning and he looks very exciting. He plays right on the shoulder of the last defender and as a consequence stops the two central defenders having any time on the ball. His style of play allowed us to get back in the game albeit we couldn't get the equaliser.

We desperately need decent centre forwards at junior levels at the club so this is certainly a step in the right direction.
Seems the club recognises that and are going for Knox?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Nishan is usually an Armenian name. Do we have another Mkhitaryan? :D

Leonard17

Both of them (Burkart and Knox) are still 16 so we would still have to suffer watching a no-forward U23s team for a whole season.
It is a seriously stupid situation to find ourselves in. Seems it's a problem within the academy, a shortage of strikers? If so, how has it been allowed to happen?

Mark Pawelek

It is a seriously stupid situation to find ourselves in. Seems it's a problem within the academy, a shortage of strikers? If so, how has it been allowed to happen?
By academy I hope you mean U-23s, and U-18s. Looks like the U-18s are well stocked with attacking players after this years recruitment.

There are just 7 players aged 19 here. One is on loan (CBJ). Another is Josh Doughty, a striker who I've never seen play! There are 10 players aged 18, but only 1 is a striker or winger!: Rashford. He's obviously with the 1st team. Totally unbalanced squad above 17. Why are were there only 7 players in that 19-year old age range and no special talents recruited that year?

Leonard17

By academy I hope you mean U-23s, and U-18s. Looks like the U-18s are well stocked with attacking players after this years recruitment.

There are just 7 players aged 19 here. One is on loan (CBJ). Another is Josh Doughty, a striker who I've never seen play! There are 10 players aged 18, but only 1 is a striker or winger!: Rashford. He's obviously with the 1st team. Totally unbalanced squad above 17. Why are were there only 7 players in that 19-year old age range and no special talents recruited that year?
I do mean both teams, but I mean strikers. Out and out strikers. We only have 1 of those that are natural to that position between the two teams (2 if you include doughty at a stretch). You're talking about the 13/14 intake, where Mitchell was seen as the outstanding talent of that group, or at least one of them. I don't think we recruited foreigners that year, until Fosu Mensah anyway. This is probably during the period in which the academy wasn't being funded enough and we fell behind in recruitment. Riley, McTominay, Henderson, Demi, CBJ and Redmond are still with the club, the rest have moved on from that class.

jb8521

2 members of staff made a mess of at least 3 different deals for fairly highly rated players who would be in this age group. 1 of them isn't at the club anymore and the other thankfully no longer has anything to do with the academy since the restructuring

Leonard17

2 members of staff made a mess of at least 3 different deals for fairly highly rated players who would be in this age group. 1 of them isn't at the club anymore and the other thankfully no longer has anything to do with the academy since the restructuring
Those players being oberlin, the Bulgarian defender and Muric?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm really looking forward to watching Burkhart this season. Looks a real explosive player that could become what Wenger thought Walcott could. Was superb against Liverpool and Everton.

forevrared

Thoroughly enjoyed your take on FullTimeDevils!

devips

Nishan is an Indian word meaning flag. But whether that had anything to do with Burkart's naming I wouldn't know.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Of course he's very young and I'm by no means writing him off, but he hasn't impressed me much at all since coming here. Hopefully that changes soon.

jb8521

Of course he's very young and I'm by no means writing him off, but he hasn't impressed me much at all since coming here. Hopefully that changes soon.
He's impressing the coaches anyway, he's already been training with the seniors

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's impressing the coaches anyway, he's already been training with the seniors
That's good to hear. Came very highly rated and very highly courted, I just haven't seen the raw ability I thought I would yet. Doesn't get into the game enough either I think, especially given how dominant his team is.

WhoDaGOAT

That's good to hear. Came very highly rated and very highly courted, I just haven't seen the raw ability I thought I would yet. Doesn't get into the game enough either I think, especially given how dominant his team is.
He's a goalscorer. It wouldn't make sense for him to drop off and link the play when we already have so many natural playmakers. It would be overkill.

By staying between the width of the goal posts, he is creating space for those behind him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's a goalscorer. It wouldn't make sense for him to drop off and link the play when we already have so many natural playmakers. It would be overkill.

By staying between the width of the goal posts, he is creating space for those behind him.
I thought this would be the response as I was typing it TBH, and I can understand this. He doesn't really need to drop off I don't think, but he needs to do more when he gets it. And he hasn't scored that many goals either from my recollection, and that is while leading the line for a very dominant and creative team.

Last edited:

khoazany

I thought this would be the response as I was typing it TBH, and I can understand this. He doesn't really need to drop off I don't think, but he needs to do more when he gets it. And he hasn't scored that many goals either from my recollection, and that is while leading the line for a very dominant and creative team.
I think the fact that most of our attacking options at that level can create and finish chances by themselves means less opportunities for Burkart and most of the time his job is just to provide an outlet for build-up play and create space. I agree that he needs to do more than that. What I like about him is he could finish very quick when he's in the right position which means that the goalkeeper and defenders had very little time to react.

Brightonian

I think the fact that most of our attacking options at that level can create and finish chances by themselves means less opportunities for Burkart and most of the time his job is just to provide an outlet for build-up play and create space. I agree that he needs to do more than that. What I like about him is he could finish very quick when he's in the right position which means that the goalkeeper and defenders had very little time to react.
Agreed. Look at Chong. He's as much a finisher as a creator, and he knows how effective it is at this level to just hazard the shot and finish your own chances rather than always looking for the pass. With bigger, more experienced keepers he'd be forced to look for the cut-back more often instead of shooting, and Burkart would probably have had a few more out of him. Similar things are true of Gomes, Boonen, Gribbin... so you've got to look at it as more of an attacking unit than creators and a striker.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Seems like a good lad, and I hope he will have a good season.

Also his english is excellent.
Aren't his parents English or something? And that has to go down as one of the most boring interviews ever.

Mr. Glue

He was injured today playing for Switzerland U19. It looked like his groin and he confirmed it when I spoke to him. I hope he has a speedy recovery

Edit: also Switzerland are making him fly to Switzerland this week for tactic training with the team rather than let him go back to United for recovery

Last edited:

jb8521

Just reading this thread back with these posts only months old. Interesting to see Oberlin already starring at Champions League level this season.
Yeah of course the other side of it being that if we'd signed him Rashford might never have ended up playing as a number 9

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah of course the other side of it being that if we'd signed him Rashford might never have ended up playing as a number 9
Indeed. Although that may simply be because he wasn't better than Oberlin.

Seems Rashford won't be playing much as a 9 going forward anyways.