No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Another nice clean sheet for Deanooooo but De Gea will start on the weekend because he is De Gea.

laughtersassassin

I don’t see Henderson as this commanding keeper like everyone says. Watching this match today and I don’t see him coming out and collecting crosses, similar to DeGea. Might just be me but I don’t see him dominating his area like everyone thinks.
He does it a thousand times more than De Gea is the point

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If De Gea HAS TO PLAY, then it would make sense to swap them. Dave in EL (where he is less exposed to high balls and crosses) and Hendo in EPL (to test him until the end of the season).

Judas

Open to offers
I don’t see Henderson as this commanding keeper like everyone says. Watching this match today and I don’t see him coming out and collecting crosses, similar to DeGea. Might just be me but I don’t see him dominating his area like everyone thinks.
He's not this all conquering coming for everything keeper, but he comfortably does it more than De Gea, which makes it a lot more noticeable thus he seems a lot more commanding.

To be fair he had nothing to do last night, but did what he needed to perfectly well.

laughtersassassin

We don't have a great sample size, but I'm sure we've conceded from a corner with Henderson is net this season.
I was exaggerating. Just a commentary on the every game conceeding we do from them with De Gea in goal.

Henderson leaving his line is very helpful is all.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's not this all conquering coming for everything keeper, but he comfortably does it more than De Gea, which makes it a lot more noticeable thus he seems a lot more commanding.

To be fair he had nothing to do last night, but did what he needed to perfectly well.
he took 1 cross out of the air in the 2nd half that DDG would never have come for. Just completely killed the situation that usually our defenders would be having to stretch for and probably knock it back down into the box.

Simple things like that make such a difference.

owlo

Let's put it like this: Had we sold DDG for 20M last summer and not bought DVB, that's Sancho money. Are we a stronger squad with DDG and DVB, or with Sancho?

Assuming our funds are finite, I'd just get rid to fund a more needed position. Even if Henderson isn't pulling up trees, he'll be fine for a year and won't screw us over any more than DDG does. (I still feel Romero is probably our best keeper, but OGS has shown him zero respect, so that's a non starter.)

Eire Red United

It was 125k a week and an extra player. Why can nobody just admit they’re wrong about something?
It doesn’t matter whether it’s 500k or 5 million it’s still far too much. Henderson and Romero should be number 1 and 2. De Gea should be sold.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Henderson has been quite good when he played and i haven't seen him make the (sometimes) funny mistales that de Gea did.

I think he should have a run as first team keeper but Ole will not do that.

Rolaholic

I can't blame him given how Dave has looked the last 2-3 seasons...

Just hope we manage to keep him

Giggsy13

With the way De Gea has played at points the past few seasons, he may not even notice that he’s been replaced as our no. 1 keeper.

bsCallout

And he releases the ball so much better and quicker because he is a little more on the front foot than DDG. With our style of play he would help massively.

Giggsy13

And he releases the ball so much better and quicker because he is a little more on the front foot than DDG. With our style of play he would help massively.
Henderson’s distribution and clearances are superior to De Gea, which could help with our build up play. Henderson is more of a modern day GK in comparison to De Gea and Ole would be foolish to persist with keeping him as the back up when clubs may be lining up for him this summer.

Cantonagotmehere

I'd give it to Henderson, it is time. I love Dave but I think the move to the young keeper makes sense. He commands the box so much better and can own the position for long time like Dave.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Im resigned to think we are stuck with DDG until he decided he wants to move on.
He will pull out a fantastic save from time to time but with him we have a structural problem in defense. To make it work we need full bucks to block all crosses or center back to win all headers.

laughtersassassin

If we lose him to keep De Gea we are mugs.

We know De Geba isnt good enough. He hasn't been for years. It's no longer a blip.

Deano might be good enough.

Luke1995

It depends on what kind of goalkeeper you want.

De Gea has never been a leader in the box. His shot-stopping ability when one on one has always been brilliant but catching crosses isn't his strongest point.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
De Gea was good again today.

With 2 years minimum left of his insane wage contract, I think next season we'll see a very similar arrangement to this one.
Probably giving Henderson 15-20 games, mostly in cups.

RashyForPM

Forget next season, surely it’s a unanimous opinion that Dean has to be promoted to main goalkeeper as of right now. His distribution and command of the box in terms of organising defenders and claiming crosses are streets ahead of De Gea, he makes less mistakes, he’s a better shot stopper imo and he’s generally been the better goalkeeper for 2 seasons now (3 if you count the Championship). No matter how much you like De Gea, which I actually do (I’m one of those people who think he’s a club legend), you can’t disagree with anything I’ve said bar the shot stopping bit.

Ole set the team up magnificently today, but he can’t bottle it and start De Gea after the international break. Dean shows game by game that’s he is simply the better goalkeeper at this moment. There will also be a future benefit if we promote Dean now, as he is our goalkeeper for the next 15 years.

Last edited:

MU655

I don't think there is any benefit to really continuing with De Gea. I don't think he is a goalkeeper that will be useful into his thirties. He lacks some of the most important aspects of a highly experienced goalkeeper: leadership, organisation, calming presence, dealing with crosses and freekicks etc.

I would see a switch to Henderson myself for the remainder of the season to see if he is good enough.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As I've just been saying in the Henderson thread, we need to see him get a run of games to judge.

A clean sheet against City is great. But even during his poor spells De Gea was also able to get clean sheets against top sides, because the team as a whole is good at that. In and of itself it doesn't tell you a lot.

We need a bigger sample size to judge him on, which is why his lack of chances this season has been frustrating. Even if he makes mistakes in the next couple of games, we have to stick with him to see how he copes.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
There are 2 types of people. Those who say that he's better than ddg and also the others who say that he's on par with ddg or that there isn't really much difference.

So if he's either the same or better, what is the point of staying with ddg

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Just like with Ole, wait till the end of the season and then decide. Time is usually good judge.

el3mel

I think Henderson is making a case for himself very well. Let's see what will happen for the rest of the season. I hope we give him a good run so that we can evaluate properly.

He looks very commanding in the box and gets on the majority of the crosses and air balls which is great to see. Him starting the second goal was also great.

He's a bit similar to VDS in the sense that you may think he's not doing much because not many saves and stuff but the reality is he's controlling his own box very well to barely any chance on him. VDS used to be like this.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I like what Henderson brings to the team in terms of commanding his area and being on the front foot. DeGea is second only to Schmeichel in terms of his performance levels over a long period in his time at the club, and it isn’t close after those two, but he’s lost it and has been poor for years.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The tweet in the OP and the others up this page make no sense. Henderson signed a new deal 6 months ago and under contract for 4 years, we’re not going to lose him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd prefer to still just see Henderson in the cups and that really says it all (I have more confidence of us actually winning something with him in goal) but I can see De Gea becoming the cup keeper for the rest of the season

Next season Henderson starts as number 1

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Henderson for me. He just oozes confidence. And the more he plays the better is will get.
But most importantly, he gives the defenders the calm assurance and they look more safe with him behind them.

Jonno

I remember 3 months ago some horrific criticism on here for Hendo purely based on short sighted results and outcomes.

I remember thinking it was naive criticism at the time and I stand by it now

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He has half a dozen games to prove he should be starting for us. If he gives us another solid few games then I see no reason to drop him when DDG comes back.

JMack1234

You can tell the Henderson is still a little inexperienced.

However, he looks every inch the number 1. He looked calm, competent, confident and commanding and next season Ole should make Henderson our number 1 and make DDG our cup goalkeeper.

Falcow

Forget next season, surely it’s a unanimous opinion that Dean has to be promoted to main goalkeeper as of right now. His distribution and command of the box in terms of organising defenders are streets ahead of De Gea, he makes less mistakes, he’s a better shot stopper imo and he’s generally been the better goalkeeper for 2 seasons now (3 if you count the Championship). No matter how much you like De Gea, which I actually do (I’m one of those people who think he’s a club legend), you can’t disagree with anything I’ve said bar the shot stopping bit.

Ole set the team up magnificently today, but he can’t bottle it and start De Gea after the international break. Dean shows game by game that’s he is simply the better goalkeeper at this moment. There will also be a future benefit if we promote Dean now, as he is our goalkeeper for the next 15 years.
Agree with all of this. We are more assured with him I feel. Better command of his box and decent kicking.

Saw rumours of PSG interest in De Gea today, doubt its true but we should be looking to move him on at this point if it were true given he is the highest paid player in the league but not performing at that level any longer.