No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

el3mel

People forget how unnervy the whole defence is when De Gea is in goal. Saw it last week in Roma, he's made all those saves becasue he's not organising things properly in front of him. People also forget how he's been throwing them in and been generally shit for the for the last two years.

Henderson had a poor one tonight, but he's still been better for the team overall this season than De Gea.
I'm pretty sure there was no organization today either, like at all. It was a full circus.

spiriticon

C'mon, City won the title with fecking Claudio Bravo in goal :lol: Both of them are good enough for a title winning side if we had a solid defence which we don't. De Gea is simply better than Henderson though.
Is De Gea that much better though? He comes on for the EL games and we still concede feck loads.

Drizzle

To add to the list of issues with him, his handling can be a bit untidy. Spills the ball a little bit too often.

Bosws87

People forget how unnervy the whole defence is when De Gea is in goal. Saw it last week in Roma, he's made all those saves becasue he's not organising things properly in front of him. People also forget how he's been throwing them in and been generally shit for the for the last two years.

Henderson had a poor one tonight, but he's still been better for the team overall this season than De Gea.
If Henderson is in net for the Roma game we might not of been in the final.

DavidDeSchmikes

C'mon, City won the title with fecking Claudio Bravo in goal :lol: Both of them are good enough for a title winning side if we had a solid defence which we don't. De Gea is simply better than Henderson though.
City won two league titles, but Bravo only played 3 league games in that time

Look-a-Hill

And let's not forget De Gea conceded 6 against Spurs.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

When excuses start then they are just better and better. What does that even mean? Gk must save actual shots. That is his prime job ffs.
And best part, you write this nonsense after defence was all over the place.

dove

Is De Gea that much better though? He comes on for the EL games and we still concede feck loads.
I think he is. We concede goals but I can't remember the last one that was his mistake. Against Roma we could have conceded 6 if not for him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Separate from Henderson's own performance, I would also say that today highlights the stupidity of those saying we wouldn't have conceded so many chances against Roma with Henderson in goal instead of De Gea.

A goalkeeper can help organise a defence. He can't do it on his own though and he certainly can't magically stop defenders from defending badly. We were missing one player from our first choice 11 today (as opposed to god knows how many against Roma) and our defence was a shambles, with feck all any goalkeeper was gonna do about it beyond playing well themselves.

Edit: Wrote that before I saw @Oranges038's post. It's like I'm psychic.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Without hyperbole, I think it's obvious Henderson still needs a year or two of more development before he's reliable as all out number 1 (if he ever becomes, I mean).

We absolutely can't afford to lose De Gea till this happens, even with all his flaws.

We need to keep both and keep rotating between them another year at least then re-evaluate the GK position.
He is 24!

VivaRonaldo85

Rotating two keepers has never worked at the highest level. One stays, one goes and we have a reserve keeper on standby and for league cup games etc. If the chosen keeper is not up to it next season, we must buy a top class keeper. Can’t be helpful for either having both keepers at the club. The problem is, who stays.... feck me

el3mel

He is 24!
Goalkeepers play well up to 35 and beyond. His age isn't a big deal.

He can definitely be much better when he hits 26. I think he has potential personally, he's not completely shit. This will be hyperbole. He's just not ready to be the undisputed number one.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Still Henderson for me.

No Maguire in the final might mean Henderson starts, but that would be harsh on DDG.

redshaw

Still not impressing that well. Romero would be doing better than both probably in the last year.

We need an imposing figure in the net, we get bullied on corners and freekicks. Henderson is too short and narrow build, he has some plus points but overall we need a VDS, Schmeichel build. You can argue for agility but you can have that while being bigger and not have the goal so gaping. Problem with both Henderson and De Gea, you just have to pack our box on set pieces and there's a good chance it's in, De Gea rooted, Hendo tries to be commanding but hasn't got the frame to do it and looks lost when it's back on the ground in the area.

I was begging we got VDS, we need that caliber if we're to get to a league title or CL final, we got to three CL finals with VDS, he's not the only reason but you can't have weak links. Our more barren years we had shite keepers and really only big success runs in 30 years was with Peter and VDS.

Henderson also likes to dive back at angle like Barthez and reduce their smaller frame even more, we'll see more goals like that flying in. Henderson is like a Pickford, Barthez kind of keeper so far.

Last edited:

Halftrack

I'm pretty sure there was no organization today either, like at all. It was a full circus.
Wan-Bissaka is positionally suspect at times, and Bailly is positionally suspect at all times. Throw in McFred having an absolute mare, and not even Schmeichel would have been able to get that defensive unit functioning.

e: that's not to say Henderson covered himself in glory, just that I don't think there's much any keeper could have done to prevent Liverpool from having a free run at goal. De Gea starting would probably have made us less likely to concede, by virtue of being a better shot-stopper than Henderson.

Oranges038

If Henderson is in net for the Roma game we might not of been in the final.
Might not have made the final. But he wouldn't have needed to make the saves because with him and Maguire in the defence has been better organised lately.

When excuses start then they are just better and better. What does that even mean? Gk must save actual shots. That is his prime job ffs.
And best part, you write this nonsense after defence was all over the place.
Eric Bailly.

He is 24!
Schmeichel was 27 when he joined. VDS was about 35.

el3mel

Wan-Bissaka is positionally suspect at times, and Bailly is positionally suspect at all times. Throw in McFred having an absolute mare, and not even Schmeichel would have been able to get that defensive unit functioning.
Then it wasn't De Gea's fault in Rome game either ? If we're going to throw excuses then throw it for both not just one ?

hobbers

Henderson is the sort of keeper who will make loads of saves that end up right back at the feet of an attacker and from there in the back of the net

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Goalkeepers play well up to 35 and beyond. His age isn't a big deal.

He can definitely be much better when he hits 26. I think he has potential personally, he's not completely shit. This will be hyperbole. He's just not ready to be the undisputed number one.
How the hell is Dave in "decline" with 30y then according to half of people here?
But i agree that gks can develop later but what is the part which Hendo can upgrade? He is average and stands out in anything. Especially in reflexes or actual saving shots :wenger:

Godfather

That has nothing to do with DDG but with a lack of coaching. We had zero organisation today either

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Well De Gea lost his place due to being not good enough, Henderson showing's he isn't good enough either so back to the square one. De Gea, please.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
For all those who say that he has potential, can you explain that? Where is that potential/ area which he can/will improve?

el3mel

How the hell is Dave in "decline" with 30y then according to half of people here?
But i agree that gks can develop later but what is the part which Hendo can upgrade? He is average and stands out in anything. Especially in reflexes or actual saving shots :wenger:
De Gea has declined last 2 years unfortunately, which is pretty weird for me because yeah he's still actually young for his position. He's still capable of great saves but the overall performance isn't the same as the De Gea we saw from 2014-2018.

Henderson's reflexes aren't great, not as good as De Gea at all, but shot stopping and positioning definitely can improve with proper GK coaching.

For the moment I think it's best for us to keep playing both next season then re-evaluate. It's clear Henderson can't be number one at the moment but we can't go next season with De Gea with no competition either.

spiriticon

I'm a bit torn. I think De Gea is past his peak and is on the slow trajectory downhill, though he's still ok. I think Henderson is...well also ok but that's it. The problem is I don't think 'ok' is gonna cut it in the long term.

I'd give the younger one (Hendo) more chances but the situation must be monitored closely

hobbers

We just witnessed all the defence (and the midfield) at 100% panic stations for the full 90 minutes under Henderson's watch...?

The Oracle

De Gea is not the answer.

Henderson is not the answer.

A new proven keeper is the answer.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

:lol: It's nothing to do with De Gea, it's all to do with our shaky CBs.

This nonsense Henderson is somehow good at organising is hilarious. So he's good at organising when we are not pressured but the moment we are, his organisational skills go out the window.

Some of you really like creating your own reality.

Judas

Open to offers
There's a strong possibility that neither are the answer. I still would be inclined to give Henderson more time, but we have to be prepared to see some shaky moments from him I think.

OrcaFat

De Gea has been pretty shit pretty often but he is a much better stopper than Henderson. God knows what Henderson was doing tonight. On the 4th one he just wasn’t there.

I don’t really like Henderson but he has some qualities. By the time he’s 30 he could become a pretty decent keeper but I don’t see him saving stuff that other keepers wouldn’t save. He’s at the top of mediocre.

Shame we can’t combine the two of them to make one good keeper, instead we have two keepers who aren’t good enough. If I must choose one it’s DDG.

Lemon Moon

They're both good ofcourse but the defence need consistency.

That being said I would mix it up between them to keep them pushing each other. But make them both agree on certain outcomes of scenarios with the defence so that the gk and cb's know what to expect, whoever is in the hole.

If that makes sense?

Oranges038

:lol: It's nothing to do with De Gea, it's all to do with our shaky CBs.

This nonsense Henderson is somehow good at organising is hilarious. So he's good at organising when we are not pressured but the moment we are, his organisational skills go out the window.

Some of you really like creating your own reality.

Henderson has seen more clean sheets in half the amount of games. So surely he's better at something?