No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

izec

Doesnt make sense to keep De Gea and sell Henderson, only to buy another GK in a year or two. We wont get the best anyway and we wont spend a fortune on one. It will be a headache and cost a lot of money to get a good one in (look at the prices for decent keepers nowadays) and Henderson is already that

PoTMS

Out of the two, Henderson is already the better keeper. So Henderson.

Relfy

I love DDG, he's been a great servant to us and has been a brilliant keeper over the years, but he is in decline and has been for a few years now. We can't be too sentimental, Fergie was a master at knowing when to move someone on from the club. If we can find a buyer then we should shift him and promote Henderson. I'd imagine maybe PSG could be looking, they're rumoured to be sniffing around Lloris as it is, so it appears they could be in the market.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Said last summer we should have sold both and that's where I still am now

Last summer though we still had the best number 2 ever in Romero now he'll be gone as well
Why wouldn’t you give Henderson a chance. Shall we sell Greenwood to fund Mbappe?

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

The first is a much easier ball to catch. The trajectory of the first is still moving towards the keeper.
Doesn’t mean the second shouldn’t be bread and butter for a decent keeper. There’s a massive lowing of standards happening with De Gea. He can do no wrong to many.

TrustInJanuzaj

I don't think De Gea has been as bad this season as many like to portray, however he isn't what he was and I think the squad would benefit from a change. For me it's important players don't feel like they are a starter regardless of performance level, and a big part of management is knowing when to move players on.

I worry that Ole is a bit cowardly in this regard and stays with the same players out of loyalty.
I mean he quite literally hasn’t done this in his whole time here, but sure keep peddling the same myths.

Becks00

This is Manchester United, standards should be extremely high, they haven’t been for many years. We handed out the manager role basically to a fan winning a raffle, let’s not continue doing so with the playing staff as well. Henderson has shown absolutely nothing to warrant the spot for himself, he doesn’t have the x-factor, the special something that screams winner. He is a fairly decent shotstopper in the Premier League, but nothing else catches the eye, there are a lot of those goalkeepers in the history of the PL. Probably great for a team like West Ham or Brighton, but not for a team wanting to win the Champions League.

So that’s my long answer for; if not de Gea, then certainly not Henderson. I still hold onto DDG’s true ability and hope he will once again discover his former selv. If he doesn’t do that next season, I’m obviously willing to talk. The so-called errors haven’t been plentiful this season, but I remember a lot of good, match-winning saves. He’s been more than okay this season in my opinion, least of our problems, and most importantly, he’s been better than last year.
You must be joking, De gea has cost us 5 points against Everton and Sheffield just recently, played a big part in us losing at Leipzig and crashing out of the champions league and those are just the ones I can recollect now.

For those who keep saying, Hendo is not up to the job what evidence do you lot have apart from is Sheffield loan where he was pretty damn impressive.

acnumber9

Doesn’t mean the second shouldn’t be bread and butter for a decent keeper. There’s a massive lowing of standards happening with De Gea. He can do no wrong to many.
Show me these many people saying he’s doing no wrong.

Cloud7

Without a doubt, De Gea should not be our number 1 next season. He should be sold this summer, whether that will be possible or not is left to be seen, but the money spent on him has already been spent. Even if we can’t shift him we shouldn’t persist with playing him just because he’s on a big contract.

The bigger question for me is on Henderson. Is he good enough to be the league winning keeper that we need? I haven’t seen enough of him to say definitively either way, but De Gea is actively costing us points, so there’s little to lose in giving Henderson a chance. I trust the coaches and Ole to have a better assessment of his ability than I do.

There isn’t really an attainable keeper who meets the requirements that we need, as far as I can see. If there was, I would say sign them. As it is, I’d say let Henderson have the number one spot next season, and see how things go.

CM

Media nonsense. There is no way either of those teams can "lead" anything on a player who has 4+ years on his deal.
True, unfortunately this is what also makes me think we won't take a decision on it this summer though. The club is in no hurry and won't make a move until one of De Gea or Henderson forces their hand.

Walters_19_MuFc

Thing is, if Ole is thinking about making Hendo our number 1 next season, then unless he plays him more this season, he'll have little evidence on his ability, despite having a good season at Sheff Utd.

Then of course, if De Gea does go, we need to be looking for a solid number 2 like Romero.

Denis' cuff

This is Manchester United, standards should be extremely high, they haven’t been for many years. We handed out the manager role basically to a fan winning a raffle, let’s not continue doing so with the playing staff as well. Henderson has shown absolutely nothing to warrant the spot for himself, he doesn’t have the x-factor, the special something that screams winner. He is a fairly decent shotstopper in the Premier League, but nothing else catches the eye, there are a lot of those goalkeepers in the history of the PL. Probably great for a team like West Ham or Brighton, but not for a team wanting to win the Champions League.

So that’s my long answer for; if not de Gea, then certainly not Henderson. I still hold onto DDG’s true ability and hope he will once again discover his former selv. If he doesn’t do that next season, I’m obviously willing to talk. The so-called errors haven’t been plentiful this season, but I remember a lot of good, match-winning saves. He’s been more than okay this season in my opinion, least of our problems, and most importantly, he’s been better than last year.
wum

OleGunnar20

Makes too much sense to move Henderson into the #1 role, but ole's obviously a pragmatist and slow moving when it comes to dropping his favourites, rightly or wrongly.

We speak about Martials horrible form (and it has been atrocious this season), but De Gea has been costing us for what, 2 or 3 seasons now at least?

Henderson looks talented, has proven himself at PL level and looks to have a solid mentality. Why hes not our first choice yet I dont know but he absolutely has to get a proper run before seasons end. Otherwise we'll just be going dark into an season where neither keeper knows where they stand.

saivet

True, unfortunately this is what also makes me think we won't take a decision on it this summer though. The club is in no hurry and won't make a move until one of De Gea or Henderson forces their hand.
The wages would surely become an issue, even if they were both happy to be no.2. There's not much point in having a player earning £350k or £100k a week sat on the bench for a few years.

peridigm

Makes too much sense to move Henderson into the #1 role, but ole's obviously a pragmatist and slow moving when it comes to dropping his favourites, rightly or wrongly.

We speak about Martials horrible form (and it has been atrocious this season), but De Gea has been costing us for what, 2 or 3 seasons now at least?

Henderson looks talented, has proven himself at PL level and looks to have a solid mentality. Why hes not our first choice yet I dont know but he absolutely has to get a proper run before seasons end. Otherwise we'll just be going dark into an season where neither keeper knows where they stand.
I think we’d see more of Henderson if we had a solid CB pair. For all of DDG’s faults, he has experience and that is probably why Ole sticks with him. Not agreeing, just my perspective. If we sign a new CB, Ole may be more comfortable going with Henderson into next season. If that is the plan, he should be getting more time now. DDG has cost us a lot of points this season.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

After three years of being substandard its more likely alien monkeys climb out of my ass with a ready made cure for cancer, covid and genital warts and have a ready stockpile to distribute to the whole world in a week then DDG being a decent keeper again.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I’m not arguing De Gea is playing well. I’m arguing as to whether Henderson is good enough to instantly be number one. I’m yet to be convinced and I don’t think he’s done enough to show otherwise.
But in that case surely he should be playing regular football somewhere else? I see no point keeping him as no2 at the club if he's considered as not good enough for next season.

acnumber9

But in that case surely he should be playing regular football somewhere else? I see no point keeping him as no2 at the club if he's considered as not good enough for next season.
He might. Or we may just be waiting to give him a chance next season. My bet at the moment would be is we’ll give him the chance next season if De Gea doesn’t end this season well.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Ddg to Real Madrid, bring in Gianluigi Donnaruma.. Hendo out for 70 and we need a 2nd backup gk if Romero has already left

TrustInJanuzaj

Show me these many people saying he’s doing no wrong.
There’s many posters saying he’s not poor or not the main problem. Lots of others are deflecting by pretending that people claim Henderson will come out and win every cross when that’s not the case. We just want a keeper who isn’t a wet piece of lettuce.

acnumber9

There’s many posters saying he’s not poor or not the main problem. Lots of others are deflecting by pretending that people claim Henderson will come out and win every cross when that’s not the case. We just want a keeper who isn’t a wet piece of lettuce.
So nobody’s saying it then? Thought so.

Lemon Moon

Who would a) buy him for presumably a high fee and b) pay his wages
I don't think we would get a high fee for him right now, 40M/50M maybe?

There are lots of clubs out there that you would think would be interested, most clubs in Spain, although maybe only 2 or 3 could afford to pay his current salary. (Madrid teams & Barca)

In Italy, probably Juve, Napoli, Inter & Roma you would think could afford to pay him a decent wage.

In France, PSG & Lyon maybe? But who would want to play in that league? Unless you go to PSG to aim for the Champions league.

In Germany, Dortmund would be a team that DDG would improve imo. They would also be able to pay him decent wages, of course there is Bayern Munich too, their best keeper is 34 i think now Neuer? Do they have decent backup in this department? I honestly don't know.
If they were to improve on this position you would think they would try to get Ter Stegen which would make a potential opening at David's native Barcelona?

You also have Shalke in Germany who are likely able to offer him a good wage.

And if money is his thing, there's always USA & China. They pay crazy money over there.

The one thing that we need to address is who do we get to replace him? Or replace our no. 2?

largelyworried

There are lots of clubs out there that you would think would be interested, most clubs in Spain, although maybe only 2 or 3 could afford to pay his current salary. (Madrid teams & Barca)

In Italy, probably Juve, Napoli, Inter & Roma you would think could afford to pay him a decent wage.

In France, PSG & Lyon maybe? But who would want to play in that league? Unless you go to PSG to aim for the Champions league.

In Germany, Dortmund would be a team that DDG would improve imo. They would also be able to pay him decent wages, of course there is Bayern Munich too, their best keeper is 34 i think now Neuer? Do they have decent backup in this department? I honestly don't know.
If they were to improve on this position you would think they would try to get Ter Stegen which would make a potential opening at David's native Barcelona?

And if money is his thing, there's always USA & China. They pay crazy money over there.

The one thing that we need to address is who do we get to replace him? Or replace our no. 2?
I think £40M+ is extremely optimistic. The reality is that not many of those clubs you name even need a keeper, most of them already have keepers performing at a higher level than De Gea. Courtois, Ter Stegen and Oblak in Spain are far better than De Gea right now. Plus money's tight there anyway. Likewise Navas at PSG, Neuer at Bayern, & Szczesny at Juve are having decent seasons. Certainly he's not going to an English club. So that's all the Champions League big guns out of the picture.

Dortmund has a pretty meh keeper. Reina is doing well at Napoli but he's 38 so they'll need a replacement soon, so there's a couple of options around. But clubs like that are unlikely to make a goalkeeper their top earner, never mind one who hasn't been at his best for a while. They can get more bang for the buck just getting a solid mid-table keeper and spending the extra salary in other positions. Irrespective of his merits as a player, there's little market for a £40M goalkeeper at £350K per week. If United want to move him on, we'll be lucky just to avoid subsidising his exit somehow.

Maticmaker

In one sense the dilemma (if that's what it is) is surely every managers dream, two top class players competing for the same place?
De Gea's form has been patchy lately he has definitely lost us points, Henderson should now get a run in the first team until his form dips, then David's back in again.

If players are 'taking turns' in any position its bad for them, the manager, and the club and that's why I have never believed in the swopping keepers for cup matches idea. Outfield players get changed, because of opposition, or because they need a rest, keepers should only be changed either because of injury (obviously) or loss of form. Remember Fergie swapping a keeper (Jim Leighton)at half time, in a Cup final I think it was!

David De Gea has, almost single-handedly, won us matches in last two seasons and for a few seasons before that, but this season he has lost us games, certainly lost us the share of points. Henderson is a good keeper, its debatable whether all round he can be better than De Gea, but he has lots of strengths David doesn't... coming off his line and defending his area, are second nature to him... with David its always a problem, will he ,won't he, and the nervousness transmits to the defenders. You only have to watch the opposition at corners and set pieces to see what pressures they put on De Gea.

Two top class goalkeepers, make use of both of them Ole!

Rojofiam

Schalke have 1 win and 9 points from 22 Bundesliga games this season, they're going to be relegated..not sure that's a realistic destination for DDG :lol:

Strelok

None.

DDG is past it and so weak in the air. Dean is better in the air but too clumsy with the ball at his feet for us to play out from the back.

We need a new keeper if we're serious for a title.

passing-wind

Ole is in a catch 22. He sells Henderson and De Gea continues to be a hindrance he will be criticised. He promotes Henderson and he doesn't hit the ground running he will get criticised.

The benefit with Henderson is he provides more assurances for raising his game compared to the hope that De Gea will become an elite goalkeeper again because none of us have witnessed Jordans heightened capacity. He was one of the best in the league statistically for Sheff United.

I understand the difference between the two clubs (last season) but I feel this is somewhat overstated. We are not title challengers, Henderson doesn't have to do handstands and backflips to perform his task. We just need consistentcy among the basics so with a more quality defender there's less pressure on the keeper / backline. Henderson + Romero save the funds and get a quality centre half.

JMack1234

All being well..

Henderson is going to get an opportunity every Thursday to make his case to our number 1. If he impresses, then he Ole has to reverse the roles next year.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I'm hearing we've agreed terms with Donnarumma to join this summer. Weird.
I hope not.
Just watched highlights of a few AC Milan games, and his ability at crosses is atrocious, and he very rarely catches the ball, most of the time he pats it out into dangerous areas. He looks ok at penalty saves, but even then one of his saves goes back out into the area. So no thank you, I wouldn't want him at OT.

AFC NimbleThumb

After three years of being substandard its more likely alien monkeys climb out of my ass with a ready made cure for cancer, covid and genital warts and have a ready stockpile to distribute to the whole world in a week then DDG being a decent keeper again.
:lol:

Dearg hÉireann

Henderson probably won't stick around for next season and I wouldn't blame him one bit. DDG has been an absolute liability for ages, if
Henderson can't get a run of games now then I don't see him ever being trusted by Solskjaer.

Essentially Ole has bottled the whole thing, he's just hoping that De Gea rediscovers his old self but it's just weak management.

Water Melon

Man, I do really hope that De Gea rediscovers his top form, so that the whole world is finally cleared of both cancer and covid. Hopefully, neither your backside nor the monkey are seriously hurt.

On a serious note, I agree that Deano deserves to be our number 1 from now on.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Lindelof, De Gea, Maguire, Rashford and Martial have all had periods where they could and probably should have been dropped.
Dropped for who though? You need other players who are available and doing better.

Bailly can't play two games without getting injured (the only time he was able to put a run together he started 5 out of 6 PL games) and Tuanzebe was injured and then has been very poor in almost every match since PSG. That means we don't have the option to drop Maguire and Lindelof.

We didn't have any real option to drop Rashford and Martial for most of the season either. Cavani hadn't played in ages so was eased into it, then picked up an injury and then was suspended. Once all that was over he started 6 out of the 8 PL games before getting injured again. Greenwood was arguably even worse than the other two for most of the season, and it's only been the last month he's started looking better. James and Mata struggled to show anything when they played, although James has had a good couple of matches lately. Once we actually had the options (Cavani being available, Greenwood starting to look better, maybe now James being a proper option) Martial was largely dropped, as he's only started 4 of the last 9 games. If not for Cavani's injury I expect he'd get even less starts in the next few weeks.

De Gea is really the only one where we do have a proper alternative who might do better, but we don't know because he hasn't been given the chance. My hope is that that will change now, as Henderson has had a bit of a run with 3 games out of the last 5 (if he starts the second leg tomorrow as I expect) and if Ole is ever going to make the change it will be now.

largelyworried

I hope not.
Just watched highlights of a few AC Milan games, and his ability at crosses is atrocious, and he very rarely catches the ball, most of the time he pats it out into dangerous areas. He looks ok at penalty saves, but even then one of his saves goes back out into the area. So no thank you, I wouldn't want him at OT.
Not sure the stats really back that up. He's doing well in terms of numbers of catches (18th most in Europe) and success rate (23rd in Europe). Thats out of about 109 keepers total. So its not a massive strength but he's towards the top of the pile. His main weakness seems to be sweeping, he's only a marginal improvement on De Gea in that respect.