No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd sell DDG. He's been class over the years but is starting to get error prone, doesn't command his area enough and doesn't play sweeper keeper. This hurts us playing a higher line.

Whether Henderson will be the answer is hard to say right now, but I think he deserves a shot. Give him the number 1 next season, and if he's not looking solid we can try to buy the next big thing.

bsCallout

This is Manchester United, standards should be extremely high, they haven’t been for many years. We handed out the manager role basically to a fan winning a raffle, let’s not continue doing so with the playing staff as well. Henderson has shown absolutely nothing to warrant the spot for himself, he doesn’t have the x-factor, the special something that screams winner. He is a fairly decent shotstopper in the Premier League, but nothing else catches the eye, there are a lot of those goalkeepers in the history of the PL. Probably great for a team like West Ham or Brighton, but not for a team wanting to win the Champions League.

So that’s my long answer for; if not de Gea, then certainly not Henderson. I still hold onto DDG’s true ability and hope he will once again discover his former selv. If he doesn’t do that next season, I’m obviously willing to talk. The so-called errors haven’t been plentiful this season, but I remember a lot of good, match-winning saves. He’s been more than okay this season in my opinion, least of our problems, and most importantly, he’s been better than last year.
Credit for coming up with two large paragraphs of nonsense.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Ole is handling this very badly. He needs to let Dean sink or swim with a proper run of games. DDG hasn't been good enough this season.
How is he handling it badly? What is there to even handle? There's nothing wrong with what Ole is doing, letting Hendo play the cup games to prove his worth and then in time letting him play in the prem? Anything to hit Ole with......why does everyone hate the manager so much in this place?

I'd make Henderson #1 right now. De Gea's form has been nowhere near his best for over 2 years now. It's certainly not a blip. at his best, his strongest attributes masked his weaknesses. He doesn't have those match-winning performances anymore, and now his lack of aerial ability, organisation of the backline, as well as constantly being rooted to his line are now being highlighted much more than before.

Henderson might not be good enough to be #1 long term, but giving him the rest of the season to show what he's made of will be good for both parties, and will help the club assess whether or not he is. He was one of the best keepers in the league last season, and he's looked good for us when he's played for the most part, bar one or two iffy moments. He's made huge strides in his career so far, I'd hope he can make a few more.
There's been a lot of calls to give Hendo a run of games between now and the end of the season. The most important run of games we've had all season to cement our top 4 position and you guys want to give it to an untested Henderson?

Say we do do that and we miss out on Top 4, who's to blame then Ole or Henderson? You blame Ole for not giving Hendo a chance, if it were up to you, you'd give Hendo a chance. But then we may miss out on Top 4, then you'd say sack Ole for making such a stupid decision and he should've stuck with the experienced De Gea.

Henderson is good but he isn't tested yet and De Gea hasn't been THAT bad that he deserves to be dropped. In time Henderson will get his chance.

Henderson is untested in a club where he doesn't have too much to do, in a Sheffield team he had shots raining down on him all game so he looks good, yes. But can he keep up his concentration for 90mins?

One other BIG thing is he cannot defend corners. Look at the Sheffield game back in December. The kid cannot defend corners. Everytime they lifted the ball over the top and behind him, he was saved a couple times his defence before they had a corner right the death and McGoldrick scored his 2nd. He is a liability at corners if he was #1 we'd leak goals on corners.

bsCallout

How is he handling it badly? What is there to even handle? There's nothing wrong with what Ole is doing, letting Hendo play the cup games to prove his worth and then in time letting him play in the prem? Anything to hit Ole with......why does everyone hate the manager so much in this place?

There's been a lot of calls to give Hendo a run of games between now and the end of the season. The most important run of games we've had all season to cement our top 4 position and you guys want to give it to an untested Henderson?

Say we do do that and we miss out on Top 4, who's to blame then Ole or Henderson? You blame Ole for not giving Hendo a chance, if it were up to you, you'd give Hendo a chance. But then we may miss out on Top 4, then you'd say sack Ole for making such a stupid decision and he should've stuck with the experienced De Gea.

Henderson is good but he isn't tested yet and De Gea hasn't been THAT bad that he deserves to be dropped. In time Henderson will get his chance.

Henderson is untested in a club where he doesn't have too much to do, in a Sheffield team he had shots raining down on him all game so he looks good, yes. But can he keep up his concentration for 90mins?

One other BIG thing is he cannot defend corners. Look at the Sheffield game back in December. The kid cannot defend corners. Everytime they lifted the ball over the top and behind him, he was saved a couple times his defence before they had a corner right the death and McGoldrick scored his 2nd. He is a liability at corners if he was #1 we'd leak goals on corners.
All of this goes out the window with the simple fact DDG has already cost us for 2 or 3 seasons. Why are you arguing that Henderson MIGHT when we know DDG likely will?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
All of this goes out the window with the simple fact DDG has already cost us for 2 or 3 seasons. Why are you arguing that Henderson MIGHT when we know DDG likely will?
Because De Gea is still our best goalie, regardless of his mistakes, he has hardly put a foot wrong this season.

Henderson I fear has the tendency to be over confident and make mistakes. If you say to him now, you got until the end of the season to prove your worth he'll be overconfident and f*ck it up. I like his confidence I really do, and I hope he becomes number 1 but I fear he will be over confident, maybe even a little arrogant and cost us. Let him play pre-season and start the season strong, then we can talk about challenging for #1 spot.

edgecutter

I think we need to give Henderson a run in the team to see if he can cement the role of being our No.1, but the main issue we have is De Gea and his wages. Very few clubs are going to take on his demands and it will be highly likely to get him off our wage book we may have to let him go on a free like we did with Sanchez.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I haven't seen enough yet from Henderson to make me think we should promote him. De Gea hasn't deteriorated further like I feared he would, he's just tapered off at a level or 3 below where he used to be and I can live with that for now.

romufc

The problem with DDG is he does not command his 6 yard box. It could be a reason our defence drops so far because they know the goal keeper is glued to the line.

I would give Henderson game time in the PL to see what he can do.

Daonico

I am inclined to give henderson a run of games to see what he can do... but let's remember than the manager and the coaches see him in training all the time... there might be a reason for him not getting a better chance, we might not know if he is good enough, but the coaches probably do.

I feel Henderson is getting a bit of "the less he plays the better he is" syndrome.

wolvored

Whoever goes in goal cannot win. If De Gea fecks up we should have played Henderson because he had a good game against.....
If Henderson fecks up we should have stuck with the more experienced De Gea.
Personally I would give Henderson a chance, but will be slagged off the first mistake he makes.

Foxbatt

If you don't try you won't know. In EL its different. We need a couple of games to see if he can handle it in the PL better than DeGea now. If not we may lose Hendo. He is too good a keeper to be number 2 to DeGea.

redrobed

Henderson’s good, given that we let Romero go I’d keep him on as backup. De Gea cut losses at this point and pay someone like an Arsenal to take him. Get someone in - even the young Milan keeper on a free. Invest elsewhere while solving this problem

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think Ole has not given up on the PL just yet and doesn't want to drop De Gea to make more mistakes than already is being made.

I'm not saying De Gea doesnt make mistakes and that Henderson will make more mistakes - its more that if he brings Henderson in to the first team and he struggles to settle in with consistency (as seen with many younger GK's) then he will get pointed at for causing us to drop further down the league.

I think Ole will find out where we end up - if City have won the PL and we have nothing longer to play for early on the season then he will give Henderson the rest of the season as number 1 on top of his Europa league and cup games.

Maybe I'm just finding Ole's fear of De Gea, not sure.

Scholsey2004

IMO we should keep Henderson and sell De Gea. Unfortunately it looks like the opposite is more likely for the simple reason that Henderson is more attractive to buyers. De Gea's wages and form are both disincentives to prospective buyers and of course hes older than Henderson. I suspect the club will sell whichever they get a decent offer for and thatll almost certainly be Henderson.

dinostar77

What would definitely give us an answer is De Gea was out for a period of 10 games or so. Not wishing injuries to any Utd players but henderson needs a run of games to see if he can handle the pressure. Im sure he can. So many clubs rate him and would bite our hand off to get his signature. Shame Utd have treated Romero so badly. Henderson as no1 and Romero as a no2 would be a strong combo.

This is where our lack of a DoF hurts us. A DoF could be working on a deal with Psg/Juventus/Bayern to get De Gea transferred. Just accept a lower transfer fee so De Gea can get the wages he wants at another club. I think hes gotta complacent and stale at Utd. Needs a change of scenery and he'll rediscover his mojo.

De Gea has not been THAT bad, has he? Maybe not as god-like as he was a few years ago but do his performances really justify getting dropped/sold?

Also, not being rude but who on earth would take him that could afford his wages? Real don't need him anymore, maybe Juve?
He’s been awful. Costing us points on points and in big games (Barcelona CL QF 18/19, Chelsea Top 4 game in 18/19, Chelsea FA Cup Semi, Everton) ever since the World Cup in 2018. Consistently one of the lowest save percentages in the league over the past 3 seasons. It’s time for change.

GBBQ

I'd like to keep both but next season have them switch roles; Henderson league keeper, De Gea cup keeper. Ole wants competition in all places and I think Henderson would do better knowing he has De Gea gunning for his place too. Its also some security in case Henderson fluffs his lines. Ultimately the best keeper will play from then in, once henderson has a chance to prove he's capable.

The thing is, De Gea is only 30 which means he could still have 5-10 years at premier league level depending on how well he looks after himself. I don't think its a given that Ole sees him as done and I think it does open up the possibility that if Henderson says play me or sell me that Ole might well sell, especially if someone like Donarumma was brought in to challenge for number 1 instead.

romufc

Donnarumma is on a free this summer and we are paying 3 keepers we aren’t even sure about 700k a week. This sort of stuff is why we need a DOF.
How many AC Milan games have you watched over the last few years?

He is on approx £200k a week wages as well btw, so his next move his agent Raiola will want him to get 250k at least.

So is he that much better than Henderson?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
How many AC Milan games have you watched over the last few years?

He is on approx £200k a week wages as well btw, so his next move his agent Raiola will want him to get 250k at least.

So is he that much better than Henderson?
I don’t watch anything beyond European games but he looks like a potential world class player and no fee. I’d rather the undisputed best player as our keeper rather than hoarding a few names and spending heaps on nothing in the end

Bobade

I don't feel that I have watched Hendo play enough to make a full evaluation. I like how he comes off his line more than De Gea, and is more vocal and marshalls the defence more.

De Gea is still a great shot stopper, I just don't feel he is brave enough. The only thing I will say is that I hope we do not go into next season with the club being unsure whether or not Henderson can be our no.1.

This season, it makes sense to blood him in the cups and see what he can do. However, if he doesn't get enough minutes to show his capability, then we will be in exactly the same quandary next season. This season should be used to test him, with the ideal scenario being that he proves to be the real deal. Then we can sell De Gea with thanks for his good service and have a keeper that more closely matches our play style and personnel.

bsCallout

I don’t watch anything beyond European games but he looks like a potential world class player and no fee. I’d rather the undisputed best player as our keeper rather than hoarding a few names and spending heaps on nothing in the end
So you've not watched him really and he's got WC potential and is no fee. Sounds like Henderson.

jem

The problem with Henderson is I don't think he's really done enough (as much due to lack of opportunity as anything else) to show that he should be our #1. Yes De Gea has been iffy at times, but he does have a proven track record of top-class performances. With Henderson, it seems to be a bit of a leap of faith. Yes, he was good with Sheffield United (I'll admit I rarely got the chance to see him play there), but then again, wasn't Pickford also pretty impressive with Sunderland?

All scenarios seem risky, but I'd be inclined to sell Henderson, use the funds to help address our glaring CM/CDM issues and see if De Gea, who is still not that old, can revert to something close to his best.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
To all those people who think we should sign Donnarumma (I would think because he's on a free), please watch some of his 'highlights' and the AC Milan matches on YouTube. You may change your mind.
He doesn't appear very good on crosses, most shots that come to him he slaps away, very often into the danger zone, and seems to enjoy staying on his line. Very much why some posters criticise De Gea.
For my ten penneth, I think Henderson deserves a run of a few games as first choice, same with Tuanzebe, or we'll never really know.

romufc

So you would sign a player you have hardly watched play because he is dubbed a world class player?

Can you even name 3 attributes that he is good at?

Henderson hasn't even been given a chance and you are willing to write him off?

Spending heaps is what we will be doing signing Donnarumma, he is a Railoa player, so if you think free means not paying any agent fees and high wages you are mistaken.

romufc

To all those people who think we should sign Donnarumma (I would think because he's on a free), please watch some of his 'highlights' and the AC Milan matches on YouTube. You may change your mind.
He doesn't appear very good on crosses, most shots that come to him he slaps away, very often into the danger zone, and seems to enjoy staying on his line. Very much why some posters criticise De Gea.
For my ten penneth, I think Henderson deserves a run of a few games as first choice, same with Tuanzebe, or we'll never really know.
It is frustrating to see fans name him as the keeper they want to see yet have never watched him play for more than 3 games.

He may become world class but you cannot judge a player on youtube, you have to watch how he commands his back line, his penalty area and the areas where DDG is not good at.

Why not give Henderson a chance and see how well he does, I mean what's to say he isn't good enough?

largelyworried

I pointed this out earlier, but his stats this season are very good, not sure why people think otherwise. He's been good on crosses and among the best in Europe at shot stopping over the course of the season so far. Only average at coming out of his box decisively though. Plus he's consistent, posting pretty similar stats three seasons in a row now, which is impressive for a 22 yo (lots of keepers have one good season then drop back).

https://fbref.com/en/comps/Big5/keepersadv/players/Big-5-European-Leagues-Stats

Not that I particularly have a view about Donnarumma for United, but he's decent. Not the best, but certainly above average.

Ali Dia

So you would sign a player you have hardly watched play because he is dubbed a world class player?

Can you even name 3 attributes that he is good at?

Henderson hasn't even been given a chance and you are willing to write him off?

Spending heaps is what we will be doing signing Donnarumma, he is a Railoa player, so if you think free means not paying any agent fees and high wages you are mistaken.
we may need the agent on haaland and if we resign Pogba anyway so while I don’t like Mino that may be a way we end up having to go, donnarumma or not.

Henderson looks a good keeper and he’s passionate about working here. I’m not disputing that but he needs a run of games. Without that run of games the more expensive donnarumma wages and no fee/shitty agent still currently looks like a safer bet

romufc

we may need the agent on haaland and if we resign Pogba anyway so while I don’t like Mino that may be a way we end up having to go, donnarumma or not.

Henderson looks a good keeper and he’s passionate about working here. I’m not disputing that but he needs a run of games. Without that run of games the more expensive donnarumma wages and no fee/shitty agent still currently looks like a safer bet
Safer bet for what?

What can Donnarumma do that Henderson can't?

Or is it you want him to be signed because you have read somewhere he has world class potential?

Ali Dia

Thats madness :lol::nervous:
painful. We could have donnarumma on a free AND Henderson for about the same/a little more then DDG is making.

Regardless of who’s better between donarumma or Henderson that’s the real elephant in the room. we have the highest paid keeper in the league/world and he’s not very good. Our backups make as much as first team players at other big clubs. Of course it’s going to cause problems.

Last edited:

SplitzMagic

I hope not.
Just watched highlights of a few AC Milan games, and his ability at crosses is atrocious, and he very rarely catches the ball, most of the time he pats it out into dangerous areas. He looks ok at penalty saves, but even then one of his saves goes back out into the area. So no thank you, I wouldn't want him at OT.
Same, he's a raiola client too. I don't think he's suited for us and if anyone does think he is suited it's because he's an 85 on fifa :lol: