No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

saivet

Unsurprisingly it seems we will have a decision to make in the summer regarding our goalkeeping situation. Having two keepers on big wages was never going to be sustainable over a long period of time. How do you think we should manage the situation?

I think we should sell De Gea and give have Henderson as the no.1 next season, however I think the club could go the other way as it will be easier (and we'll get more money) if we sell Henderson.

Kaos

Neither, get Donnarumma or Oblak in.

De Gea should be sold. I'd keep Henderson as no.2 if he's happy.

The answer is to see what happens between now and the end of the season.

it’s not a decision we need to rush or to think about until we have finished the season.

bsCallout

Henderson. Not even a question. Get rid of DDGs wages.

Henderson will either sink or swim but we don't want to be trying to offload two goalkeepers in one window after next season.

spiriticon

I think we need to give Henderson the job for the remainder of this season to work out whether he can be trusted for next season, or we need to buy a new keeper.

Ole needs to have the balls to do it because we need to see what Hendo is like week in, week out under big pressure and not just sporadic games here and there.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Henderson needs a run in the first team for at least a dozen games. We know that de gea isn’t long term first choice but we don’t know if Henderson is the answer and there is only one way to find out.

Kag

I think we need to give Henderson the job for the remainder of this season to work out whether he can be trusted for next season, or we need to buy a new keeper.

Ole needs to have the balls to do it because we need to see what Hendo is like week in, week out under big pressure and not just sporadic games here and there.
This.

Henderson looks good but dragging this out does him no favours. Make the change now and if he’s up to it then press ahead with him at #1. De Gea is finished and should be shipped out as soon as possible.

I’d also like to see the club repair its relationship with Romero so that he can support Henderson as a reliable back up.

gajender

it’s not a decision we need to rush or to think about until we have finished the season.
Actually it's a decision we need to make now atleast part of it ,I believe De Gea is no longer good enough what we need to determine is whether Henderson is or not time to slowly integrate him as our no 1 in the league this season itself if he is good enough we don't have to buy another keeper just sell De Gea otherwise sell them both next season if possible.

red_de_pologne

Problem is Henderson plays so little we won't be able to properly asses him to make that big a decision (of having him as No1).
Plus who would buy De Gea on his wages.

Kaos

Donnarumma- Raiola client
Oblak- Release clause of 120m
I agree neither are likely to happen, but I don't think United would consider the Raiola factor a dealbreaker. Sir Alex probably would have, but I get the impression this current management couldn't care less.

Delano

Having been a massive DDG fan it's becoming increasingly obvious that it can't be him.

My gut instinct says neither.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Nobody will pay those wages to De Gea. It will be another Sanchez scenario where we'll be paying to get rid.

RkkMan

Problem is Henderson plays so little we won't be able to properly asses him to make that big a decision (of having him as No1).
Plus who would buy De Gea on his wages.
We had similar complaints about Rooney and Alexis we still found buyers for them. If we`re serious(and willing to accept little to no fee for DDG) we`ll find someone

The Urban Goose

Exactly this. But we won't. We'll lose Henderson and then moan when he becomes one of the best in the world at somewhere like Arsenal.

Eternitiy

This season: Henderson
Next season: Henderson

If Henderson is sold and de Gea remains at the club, and I will be very distraught. This would be a perhaps the worst decision ever made by the club in recent memory.

Member 101269

So Lee Grant signed a new contract? Was it just in case one or the other has a hissy fit. The Donnarumma rumours start? sounds like a power struggle for #1

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
De Gea needs to be binned no matter what. Honestly find it baffling that we aren't giving Deano the shirt now that the title is gone. How the feck are we going to find out if he sinks or swims if he's playing 2-3 games per month?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I can understand Henderson's frustrations (even if I thought it was pretty clear De Gea would be #1 this season). At the same time, the idea that he should assured of being #1 next year also rankles.

The key point is that he has to be given more gametime this season to see what he's made of. At that point it's on him to earn the #1 spot rather than expect to be given it.

acnumber9

Exactly this. But we won't. We'll lose Henderson and then moan when he becomes one of the best in the world at somewhere like Arsenal.
Henderson wouldn’t start for Arsenal. If Henderson leaves United it will be for a club like West Ham. That for me says it’s De Gea or somebody else. Henderson’s reputation is growing on this forum just for not being De Gea. Reminds me a little of when people tried to fool themselves into thinking Darmian or Varela were going to be great just because they’re weren’t Valencia.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Absolutely disagree. We NEED to make this decision now, unless we think De Gea will magically improve to a required standard which is very unlikely. We need to know if Henderson can be trusted as #1 or we need another keeper.

Now is the best time to get Henderson a run, results in EPL don't make much of a difference as long as we stay top 4 and have the answer what to do with GK position at the end of the season.

SirAF

Ageist
Henderson. He might not perform better than de Gea long term, but there is only one way to find it out.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I think we should give Henderson a run of games in the league to properly assess where he is. I don't expect us to challenge for the title now, but hopefully we'll have wrapped up top 4 with a good few games to go. Maybe then it would make sense to bring him in.

No matter what the decision, it's important to remember we're in a fortunate situation that we're talking about two very good goalkeepers here. One who was world-class (and still can be at times) and another with potential to match those heights.

It's very hard for me to say no to DDG given everything, but if I'm honest, I can't see him hitting the form he had under LVG and Jose, nor can I see him ending his career here regardless of the decision with Henderson.

Henderson is certainly one for the future, and we could really regret passing him on. Plus we'd be able to complete our wage re-structuring with DDG off the books.

Tough one. Good arguments for both. Maybe worth doing as it would mean fecking Phil Jones would be the sole survivor from the Fergie years :lol:

spiriticon

Now is absolutely the best time to test Henderson because the league is gone so no pressure there and we are in a good position for the top 4.

If Henderson can't put in performances worthy of a top 4 team, he'll have failed to achieve the bare minimum standard.

RkkMan

Henderson wouldn’t start for Arsenal. If Henderson leaves United it will be for a club like West Ham. That for me says it’s De Gea or somebody else. Henderson’s reputation is growing on this forum just for not being De Gea. Reminds me a little of when people tried to fool themselves into thinking Darmian or Varela were going to be great just because they’re weren’t Valencia.
You wont know until you actually GIVE HIM A CHANCE though right? Henderson has been going from strength to strength since he was on loan at Shrewsburry last season he was one of the best GKs in the league you can clearly see how Sheffield miss having him in goal. Attribute wise he`s MILES better on the ball than De Gea, a very good shot stopper(not as good as prime De Gea but more than good enough for most top level clubs) and more brave in coming out for balls or coming out of his line. There`s aspects he can improve on but he`s still just 23 he has room for growth he`s worth giving a proper shot to before unfairly putting him in the same category as Darmian/Varela who`ve never shown an eighth of Henderson`s ability

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'd like to see Henderson given a chance this year to see if he's ready to wear the #1 next year. Problem is, who is going to buy De Gea? His decline will scare off most buyers and his wages will price most out...

King Eric 7

DDG in goal is basically self-sabotage at this point. I don't know if the answer is Henderson but I do know that the answer is not DDG. Wouldn't mind giving Henderson the no 1 spot until the end of the season to figure out if he can do the job.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If you want Henderson to be the #1 next season, you need to start bedding him in now. That way you can make alternate plans if he isn't the part.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Has to be Henderson, De Gea is an average at best keeper these days, is a United legend but it's time to move on before we potentially miss out on Henderson. Henderson looks solid, might not be world class but he needs the chance to show what he can do for a full season.

CM10

Agree with this.

I think the West Brom/Newcastle games would've been the perfect opportunity to introduce him if he was going to do it anytime soon though. I don't envisage Solskjaer changing the goalkeeper now when we've got Chelsea and City in our next 3 league games.

acnumber9

You wont know until you actually GIVE HIM A CHANCE though right? Henderson has been going from strength to strength since he was on loan at Shrewsburry last season he was one of the best GKs in the league you can clearly see how Sheffield miss having him in goal. Attribute wise he`s MILES better on the ball than De Gea, a very good shot stopper(not as good as prime De Gea but more than good enough for most top level clubs) and more brave in coming out for balls or coming out of his line. There`s aspects he can improve on but he`s still just 23 he has room for growth he`s worth giving a proper shot to before unfairly putting him in the same category as Darmian/Varela who`ve never shown an eighth of Henderson`s ability
But the manager doesn’t want to give him more of a chance. It’s not like Solskjaer hasn’t shown the balls to drop big name players before. He did it sharply with Lukaku and has dropped Pogba many times. Henderson has started one league game this season and he dropped as big a clanger as De Gea has all season. I don’t really see it in Henderson. The manager doesn’t seem to either.

Polar

Neither, get Donnarumma or Oblak in.

De Gea should be sold. I'd keep Henderson as no.2 if he's happy.
Agree De Gea should be sold, but I think Henderson is more than good enough to be our nr.1 GK, and he only will become better.

Gopher Brown

I don’t think any of us can judge whether Henderson is up to the task yet.

I know we urgent need to replace de Gea though - his kicking and passing is very poor, he rarely catches anything and he is no longer able to make the saves he did a few years ago.

red_de_pologne

Now is absolutely the best time to test Henderson because the league is gone so no pressure there and we are in a good position for the top 4.

If Henderson can't put in performances worthy of a top 4 team, he'll have failed to achieve the bare minimum standard.
We're still very much in a tight fight for top 4