No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
De Gea has not been THAT bad, has he? Maybe not as god-like as he was a few years ago but do his performances really justify getting dropped/sold?

Also, not being rude but who on earth would take him that could afford his wages? Real don't need him anymore, maybe Juve?

SAFMUTD

Ideally we would give Henderson a run to see if he's the one or we should be looking for a new keeper in the summer, De Gea is clearly past it and its currently a liability.

But if the tweet is true then I think we'll sell Henderson, there's no way we can ship out De Gea easily nor I think Ole has the guts to do it.

Denis' cuff

Matter of opinion really. I think Henderson is being remarkably overrated.

Of course he isn’t being instructed who to play.
we’ll never know if he isn’t given the chance

you cannot know that with any certainty but it is a distinct possibility.

Cardozo

De Gea has not been THAT bad, has he? Maybe not as god-like as he was a few years ago but do his performances really justify getting dropped/sold?

Also, not being rude but who on earth would take him that could afford his wages? Real don't need him anymore, maybe Juve?
I agree. I also think it's a bit fickle to demand players are ousted like this. Just look at the rave reviews Shaw and Fred are getting now.

DeGea is still one of the best keepers in the league and we're just not as defensively solid as we should be.

I do however think it's mad we've ended up with him on these wages. Ederson is the only keeper that can justify that with his ability to play as a midfielder...

acnumber9

we’ll never know if he isn’t given the chance

you cannot know that with any certainty but it is a distinct possibility.
I can’t know with any certainty that there aren’t a civilianisation of lizard people living under the sea. I just apply my common sense to that.

acnumber9

His form has dropped considerably from his peak but there’s fans now that are actively concocting reasons to blame him for goals. Apparently he should’ve come out for the cross yesterday that Maguire didn’t clear properly and shouldn’t have conceded the corner that led to the goal in the first place.

GMoore23

Donnarumma- Raiola client
Oblak- Release clause of 120m
Also, Oblak is only 6ft 2. I haven't seen much of him but as he's quite short for a keeper, could he struggle with set pieces in a more physical league. The main thing I want from our next keeper is that he has total command of his area and good communication with his cb's.

dinostar77

Henderson will ask for a transfer if he isnt given a proper run in first team by next season. Ole has said hes not the most patient of personalities. Unfortunately we have no-one who will match De Gea wages. We are stuck with him. Ole just needs to be more ruthless with De Gea and give him a proper kick up the bum.

GMoore23

I think we need to give Henderson the job for the remainder of this season to work out whether he can be trusted for next season, or we need to buy a new keeper.

Ole needs to have the balls to do it because we need to see what Hendo is like week in, week out under big pressure and not just sporadic games here and there.
This, no point in starting De Gea every game if we're planning on selling him. We need to know if Henderson is up to the task first.

bsCallout

This is what I don’t get. He’s shown no more than Nick Pope and I doubt many would want him starting for United. This forum has gone overboard on De Gea. Last season most were convincing themselves Romero was a Premier League quality goalkeeper and yet he’s still at United as fourth choice keeper because nobody wants him.

We’re at a stage where replacing De Gea is something we have to be considering. Stating Henderson is already, definitely a better keeper? I’d love to have that level of positivity. Where it not more based on negativity on De Gea.
Yes. I would want Nick Pope starting over DDG. Any day of the week.

DDG has to be replaced and we have a keeper with the potential to play at the top level. You give him that chance.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't think we can move forward with De Gea as our first choice goalkeeper and expect to win titles. That has become clear. Whether we should be selling him and giving Henderson a go next season (which I'd prefer) or buy someone else is difficult to answer. A goalkeeper that is clearly better than Henderson would cost £60m+ and I don't even know who we could go for at this point. Oblak is out of question IMO due to his penalty record, basically if you take him and go far in CL you cannot under any circumstances let the game go to penalties because he's guaranteed to let every single one in. Also in the league I'd prefer someone who was at least slightly capable of saving one. I also don't think a new goalkeeper should be priority next year, we have more urgent issues elsewhere and a new GK taking half of our transfer budget is not ideal.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Is this even a debate? De Gea is a club legend, but past his best. Henderson should definitely be number one right now.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

De Gea cost us top four with his form at the end of 18/19. That was his worst form of all and he was pretty much Kepa level bad there for the final month or two. Last season if I remember correctly he cost us in two of the three semi-finals that we lost, plus he was just poor to average in general. This season he started the season looking a bit better but seems to have dropped right off again. Just in the last month he was at least somewhat at fault for two goals for Everton in the 3:3 match, the goal for West Brom in the 1:1 and at least one (arguably both if you wanted to be harsh) in the 2:1 loss against Sheffield United. His cowardice (no other word for it) on Leipzig's third goal probably knocked us out of the CL this season where he turned his back and made himself small because he didn't want to risk being hurt, and then repeated that action in the 95th minute of the match against Everton to hand them a draw with the last kick of the match. A lot of these aren't not making saves that he should be making, it's more than he refuses to come out and deal with balls that he should be clearing that then gives the opposition the chance to score. He's also lost the incredible shot-stopping ability that he did have (I believe he's got something like the second worst save percentage in the league this season).

He hasn't been Kepa bad (except maybe at the end of 18/19) but he's been poor now for two and a half seasons. He absolutely should be getting dropped.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Let Henderson start the next 6 or 7 matches and then we might have a clear answer. I'm surprised Henderson didn't start on Sunday. Ole is staying with DDG and Martial far too long.

NFM

If Henerson was the answer , we would all know by now as he would be picked as no1. He hasn't, so he isn't.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
DeGea is still one of the best keepers in the league and we're just not as defensively solid as we should be.
He's not. He's one of the worst.

There some stat sheet flying around the caf showing that he's like no 18-19 or something of the PL keepers. He's crap even at shot stopping.

Doracle

Matter of opinion really. I think Henderson is being remarkably overrated.

Of course he isn’t being instructed who to play.
What are you basing your views on of him being overrated though? I obviously didn’t watch all Sheff United’s games last season but when I did he was extremely impressive. If you look at a list of the top premier league keepers last season he’d be in pretty much all the lists. He’s also looked very good in recent matches for us.

Most people (including me) aren’t saying we know he will succeed. However, we are saying that he’s done enough to get a greater share of matches compared to an underperforming DDG, so he can be properly judged. I don’t see any basis on which anyone can currently confidently say he is being overrated.

captain666

Persisting with DDG unsettles our entire back line as evidenced by the crazy goals we have given away this season,time to give Henderson a run of at least 10 league games to before forming an opinion one way or the other.DDG is not the answer and should leave this summer,in an ideal world!

The Oracle

De Gea cost us top four with his form at the end of 18/19. That was his worst form of all and he was pretty much Kepa level bad there for the final month or two. Last season if I remember correctly he cost us in two of the three semi-finals that we lost, plus he was just poor to average in general. This season he started the season looking a bit better but seems to have dropped right off again. Just in the last month he was at least somewhat at fault for two goals for Everton in the 3:3 match, the goal for West Brom in the 1:1 and at least one (arguably both if you wanted to be harsh) in the 2:1 loss against Sheffield United. His cowardice (no other word for it) on Leipzig's third goal probably knocked us out of the CL this season where he turned his back and made himself small because he didn't want to risk being hurt, and then repeated that action in the 95th minute of the match against Everton to hand them a draw with the last kick of the match. A lot of these aren't not making saves that he should be making, it's more than he refuses to come out and deal with balls that he should be clearing that then gives the opposition the chance to score. He's also lost the incredible shot-stopping ability that he did have (I believe he's got something like the second worst save percentage in the league this season).

He hasn't been Kepa bad (except maybe at the end of 18/19) but he's been poor now for two and a half seasons. He absolutely should be getting dropped.
Absolutely spot on with everything you have said.

He's the highest paid goalkeeper in World football, yet he is a coward... he never puts his body on the line for the cause because he is absolutely terrified of being clattered by a player.

We literally have a meek pussycat as our No.1 goalkeeper.

David De Gea inspires zero confidence in our defenders, and it's time he moved on.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

He hasn't been disastrously bad in the way he was at times in the last couple of seasons but he has been fairly mediocre. Which on the wages he's paid isn't really good enough.

And the fact is we do have Henderson just sitting there, also on big wages, looking for starts. Somethings gotta give at some point so it makes sense that people want to actually see what Henderson can do.

Coxy

For me Henderson should be number 1. De Gea is the highest paid keeper in the world isn't he? He's nowhere near the best now sadly though. We need to sell and use the wages elsewhere.

Will always be grateful to him for when he single-handedly kept us performing a few years back - but he's not that player anymore.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
For me Henderson should be number 1. De Gea is the highest paid keeper in the world isn't he? He's nowhere near the best now sadly though. We need to sell and use the wages elsewhere.

Will always be grateful to him for when he single-handedly kept us performing a few years back - but he's not that player anymore.
Who do you think you could sell him to that (a) he would want to move to and (b) could afford his wages and transfer fee?

Silverman

Echoing what a lot are saying. Give Henderson the #1 spot for the rest of the season now to see if we can see enough to show he is good enough to be the long term number 1.
We have a cushion over the other teams around us so we shouldn't be worried about dropping out of the top 4. The teams around us are at least the same or more inconsistent than us.

acnumber9

What are you basing your views on of him being overrated though? I obviously didn’t watch all Sheff United’s games last season but when I did he was extremely impressive. If you look at a list of the top premier league keepers last season he’d be in pretty much all the lists. He’s also looked very good in recent matches for us.

Most people (including me) aren’t saying we know he will succeed. However, we are saying that he’s done enough to get a greater share of matches compared to an underperforming DDG, so he can be properly judged. I don’t see any basis on which anyone can currently confidently say he is being overrated.
From when I’ve watched him. Even these recent matches that he’s supposedly been really good in, he let in a shot to Salah that De Gea would save in his sleep. The last league game he started he gifted the opposition a goal in the first few minutes. Like I’ve said before, he’s benefitting from not being De Gea in peoples eyes. Like when people fooled themselves that Romero was a top class keeper.

I’m not ruling out that Henderson will be a very good keeper and eventually be our number one. I’m just far from certain and not convinced that he should definitely be number one between the two. My prediction is that we’ll need better than either in the near future unless De Gea can recapture his best form.

Eire Red United

This is what I don’t get. He’s shown no more than Nick Pope and I doubt many would want him starting for United. This forum has gone overboard on De Gea. Last season most were convincing themselves Romero was a Premier League quality goalkeeper and yet he’s still at United as fourth choice keeper because nobody wants him.

We’re at a stage where replacing De Gea is something we have to be considering. Stating Henderson is already, definitely a better keeper? I’d love to have that level of positivity. Where it not more based on negativity on De Gea.
Romero and Henderson are more than good enough to start for most premier league teams

Castia

Henderson will go out on loan

Nobody is paying De Gea 300k a week.

Eire Red United

From when I’ve watched him. Even these recent matches that he’s supposedly been really good in, he let in a shot to Salah that De Gea would save in his sleep. The last league game he started he gifted the opposition a goal in the first few minutes. Like I’ve said before, he’s benefitting from not being De Gea in peoples eyes. Like when people fooled themselves that Romero was a top class keeper.

I’m not ruling out that Henderson will be a very good keeper and eventually be our number one. I’m just far from certain and not convinced that he should definitely be number one between the two. My prediction is that we’ll need better than either in the near future unless De Gea can recapture his best form.
Whereas De Gea has let in shots this season that most Sunday League keepers would save.

Zen86

I don't quite think Henderson's ready, but I've completely lost faith in DDG now. He's just not the same keeper he was a few years ago and we desperately need someone more commanding back there to sort out our lapses in defence. I think Henderson has that in him.

SAFMUTD

Echoing what a lot are saying. Give Henderson the #1 spot for the rest of the season now to see if we can see enough to show he is good enough to be the long term number 1.
We have a cushion over the other teams around us so we shouldn't be worried about dropping out of the top 4. The teams around us are at least the same or more inconsistent than us.
Cushion? We have a 4 point advantage, hardly a cushion.

Okey

Apparently Donnarumma, if you listen to the gossip columns.

spiriticon

There is no shot that De Gea would save in his sleep right now because he's dropped a level since 3 years ago, and most certainly no ball that he can catch when he's fully awake either.

Also, we fecked Romero over with his move to Everton, it's not his fault he has no football this season.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
Persisting with DDG unsettles our entire back line as evidenced by the crazy goals we have given away this season,time to give Henderson a run of at least 10 league games to before forming an opinion one way or the other.DDG is not the answer and should leave this summer,in an ideal world!
IMO you should give Henderson at least the rest of the season.
My reasoning is that your team’s presently set up to try to play further forward but with consideration for what DDG can and can’t do.
With Henderson in net you’ll be able to play in a more contemporary manner and push further up the field with confidence, but that will take time to develop because the outfield players will need to change what they do to make most benefit from the skill set that Henderson brings.

My opinion re DDG is contrary to most of what I read in here. He’s constantly slated for going downhill but I think that his troubles are virtue of the changing nature of the game and Ole pushing you up as much as he dare, with a static keeper, and thus putting DDG on the very edge of his comfort zone.
It’s an odd middle ground approach that pushes you up the field but not enough to be as effective as you could be against low block defences.
However, the fact that you actually do play further forward is leaving DDG more exposed than he’s comfortable with and that’s knocking his confidence.
If we could wind back football strategies by 4 or 5 years then DDG would still be playing in an environment that he’d excel in and he’d still be being lavished with praise by the sporting media. But that’s not going to happen so I recon that dropping him to allow the whole team to play a more modern game is the way forward.
Benching the best paid keeper in christendom or putting him on loan with you meeting most of his wages or paying him a king’s ransom to get him to walk away may sound like 3 unbearable options but sometimes you’ve got to grasp the nettle.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

There aren't many people saying that Henderson will definitely be good enough to be #1. The point is that he's likely, although not certain, to be better than De Gea right now (who started the season looking more solid but has been downright poor for the last month or two again), and we won't know whether Henderson is good enough to be our longterm #1 until he gets a run of games. There's no better time to give him that run than right now.

gza the genius

Henderson. Not even a question. Get rid of DDGs wages.

Henderson will either sink or swim but we don't want to be trying to offload two goalkeepers in one window after next season.
This. Henderson may not be good enough next season but De Gea isn't good enough now either. Give Henderson his chance or else what was the point on giving him a new contract.

spiriticon

Whether De Gea is still good or not for another season is another argument. The key point is that we need to know the size of Henderson's shoulders because Tim Howard, Ben Foster and even Tomasz Kusczak are examples of quality keepers who have crumbled under the weight of the United #1. That shirt is a different gravy.

De Gea is reaching the end here, if not next season, certainly within the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm quite glad that ex players like Scholes are starting to publicly question De Gea.

Rather than it effecting De Gea himself - it's more to get in to Ole's head that we can see that a player should be considered dropping.

Red_toad

Donnarumma, in on a free and taking Dave's massive wages. Bloke is a tank, commands his area and is only going to get better.

Failing that I'd expect Hendo to get a decent run at staking a claim, this season it hasn't mattered how poor Dave's been, he's the main man.