No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Said last summer we should have sold both and that's where I still am now

Last summer though we still had the best number 2 ever in Romero now he'll be gone as well

GiddyUp

From when I’ve watched him. Even these recent matches that he’s supposedly been really good in, he let in a shot to Salah that De Gea would save in his sleep. The last league game he started he gifted the opposition a goal in the first few minutes. Like I’ve said before, he’s benefitting from not being De Gea in peoples eyes. Like when people fooled themselves that Romero was a top class keeper.

I’m not ruling out that Henderson will be a very good keeper and eventually be our number one. I’m just far from certain and not convinced that he should definitely be number one between the two. My prediction is that we’ll need better than either in the near future unless De Gea can recapture his best form.
He has also plucked crosses out of the sky and distributed the ball better than De Gea could even dream of. I find it unfair that you hold the Sheffield United goal against him as he has been solid in every opportunity he has received. What you saw happens to every keeper and he can be forgiven since it was his first proper run out against a side he excelled in last season.
Have you looked up De Gea's stats on his goalkeeping attributes in the other threads?

acnumber9

There is no shot that De Gea would save in his sleep right now because he's dropped a level since 3 years ago, and most certainly no ball that he can catch when he's fully awake either.

Also, we fecked Romero over with his move to Everton, it's not his fault he has no football this season.
His form has dropped but once again anyone saying that is talking complete shite.

Everton may have been interested but it would’ve been as backup keeper rather than the other clown they ended up with.

acnumber9

There aren't many people saying that Henderson will definitely be good enough to be #1. The point is that he's likely, although not certain, to be better than De Gea right now (who started the season looking more solid but has been downright poor for the last month or two again), and we won't know whether Henderson is good enough to be our longterm #1 until he gets a run of games. There's no better time to give him that run than right now.
There are plenty of people saying that Henderson is definitely better than De Gea. Which is what I mostly take issue with.

RedDevil@84

How can he "look to leave" when he has a contract which could be extended to 2025?
Yes, he could create a ruckus and leave. But it would create a very negative opinion about the player in the eyes of the clubs. And usually professional players try not to go there.

acnumber9

He has also plucked crosses out of the sky and distributed the ball better than De Gea could even dream of.
This again is an exaggeration. He’s slightly better at coming for crosses but it’s slight. Watch the Sheffield United game again and watch them barrage him on corners. This was a team that know all his strengths and weaknesses.

And his distribution is shite too.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I'd like to see Henderson given a good run (~10 games consecutively at least) to confirm, but he looks a better fit for our team's aspirations right now.

DdG has been a great servant to us, but his form has declined, substantially so, since the World Cup 2018. The issue is his wages will make him so difficult to move on.

RedDevil@84

There are plenty of people saying that Henderson is definitely better than De Gea. Which is what I mostly take issue with.
True. And there is an unrealistic moan that he should be saving 100% of the shots and catch every cross with his hands.

Anustart89

Well, it shouldn't be de Gea. I don't know if it's Henderson either, but the only way to find out is by playing him, starting ASAP.

If we just keep going with a guy who's definitely not the answer, the potential answer might leave. And we'll keep dropping points from de Gea and need to buy someone anyway two years down the line.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
So Lee Grant signed a new contract? Was it just in case one or the other has a hissy fit. The Donnarumma rumours start? sounds like a power struggle for #1
He's a dependable third option who will be the bench goalie if one of our goaltenders get injured. That's hit lot in life at this club. They've offered him a player/coaching contract, so he'll essentially become a goaltender coach that can play if he must.

Anustart89

Not a fan of the "If i'm not nr 1 i leave" - attitude.
Fight for the spot, DDG isn't in his best form, so it's just up to him to show he can do better.
How long is he supposed to sit on the bench and watch de Gea make mistakes, do you reckon? Should he be content going from being a starting goalkeeper at Sheffield United to sitting on the bench for the entirety of de Gea's contract, while the latter performs as poorly as he had over the past two years?

I mean, unless Henderson is being really, really poor in training, it's quite obvious that de Gea's name and contract is what's keeping him in the side. It sure as hell isn't his performance level, especially considering how poorly he fits the playing style that the manager supposedly wants from his team.

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
I think it'll be tough to shift De Gea, on those wages why would he move, and to where?
I'm not convinced on Henderson yet either.
He's been solid in the games he's played and I guess only an extended amount of games will give us a clue if he's the future or not.

Romero and Grant are obviously gone. I'm interested to see who our third keeper will be.

GiddyUp

This again is an exaggeration. He’s slightly better at coming for crosses but it’s slight. Watch the Sheffield United game again and watch them barrage him on corners. This was a team that know all his strengths and weaknesses.

And his distribution is shite too.
Are you serious??? He is vastly better than De Gea in commanding his area and distribution. De Gea ranks close to bottom in a lot of areas that make a competant keeper. His shot stopping isn't anything special either. Penalties against us are as good as goals too.
It's time for Henderson to be given a shot because no way is De Gea going to improve on what he has become.

acnumber9

Are you serious??? He is vastly better than De Gea in commanding his area and distribution. De Gea ranks close to bottom in a lot of areas that make a competant keeper. His shot stopping isn't anything special either. Penalties against us are as good as goals too.
It's time for Henderson to be given a shot because no way is De Gea going to improve on what he has become.
Where do the stats come from? Like I said, go and watch the last Premier League Henderson started and watch him struggle at corners.

Eire Red United

It comes down to this- if Henderson or Romero are starting, we won’t be wondering whether or not they’ll make a ridiculous error- with Dave it seems to be every other game now.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Whoever it is he needs to be in absolute command of the box in front of the goal. I want the first thing I see on my TV screen on a corner two long ass arms reaching for the ball, and catchng it.

Jezpeza

Henderson. DDG can be backup. If he doesnt like it we sell him.

gazbradley

Henderson for me, not fully convinced he’s the answer but he’s done enough to be given a chance. As good as de gea has been I just think he isn’t suited to how we want to play now, hes almost the Jose of gks, the game seems to be evolving past him. I think ole sticks with de gea though regardless

acnumber9

It’s a simple question I’ve asked. I tried looking for good sources and struggled. One had De Gea ranked 6th for save percentages last season and 8th overall for keepers this season. If you want to be a twat about it, knock yourself out.

Last edited:

GiddyUp

It’s a simple question I’ve asked. I tried looking for good sources and struggled. One had De Gea ranked 6th for save percentages and 8th for keepers this. If you want to be a twat about it, knock yourself out.
It’s a simple question I’ve asked. I tried looking for good sources and struggled. One had De Gea ranked 6th for save percentages and 8th for keepers this. If you want to be a twat about it, knock yourself out.
You seem to be a bit dim.

largelyworried

See the Advanced Player section towards the bottom. Some sections are hidden on mobile devices by default.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

The best stat for shot stopping is probably the Post Shot xG - Goals Allowed (PSxG +/-). Which is the difference between the goals an average keeper would have let in and the amount the specified keeper let in. So a figure of +2 means the keeper prevented two goals so far that an average keeper would have let in.

The fact it’s based on xG makes it much better than simple shots saved. Not perfect, but still very good.

Raveneye

My personal feel is that Henderson may be the better long-term fit for the club stylistically, but this is by no means set in stone. De Gea has been working on coming off his line a bit more and he's obviously put a lot of work into getting back towards his best.

Henderson is much more of a natural leader of and communicator with the backline than De Gea is, which is important because Maguire isn't very vocal either. Edwin van der Saar had the best backline in the world at one point, but he made them even better by letting them know how he wanted them to take care of business which in turn let VDS focus on the work he left for himself.

Plus, if both keepers are roughly of equal quality (debatable, I'd say DDG is still ahead right now) then DDG's wages become an issue.

acnumber9

See the Advanced Player section towards the bottom. Some sections are hidden on mobile devices by default.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

The best stat for shot stopping is probably the Post Shot xG - Goals Allowed (PSxG +/-). Which is the difference between the goals an average keeper would have let in and the amount the specified keeper let in. So a figure of +2 means the keeper prevented two goals so far that an average keeper would have let in.

The fact it’s based on xG makes it much better than simple shots saved. Not perfect, but still very good.
On the crosses tab what is stp for?

YouOnlyLiveTwice

It's not that easy as just giving the chance to Henderson imo. de Gea for all his flaws, still make saves that not many other gk's can do. Not to mention that not long ago he was our best player over several years.
Is it unimaginable that DDG gets back to his best form? I wouldn't rule it out. He must also hold some status in the dressing room. If he was suddently dropped from the first team, and Henderson takes over, it could become a bit of an issue in the squad i imagine.

Of course, at the end of the season the board and Ole can make a decision on who to bet on, or if none of them a new player from somewhere else. Doing it during a season is a bit more difficult i feel.

Finding a new club for DDG would be an issue as well, but shouldn't be part of the decision of course.

Dante

Average bang
I reckon DDG will remain no 1 until the end of the season in order to preserve his value. Then we'll sell.

Henderson will be no 1 next season and given a chance to prove himself. If he does, great. If he doesn't, we'll buy someone in summer 2022.

Whatever the case, I don't see us bringing in a starting goalkeeper this preseason.

passing-wind

Henderson deserves the chance at being number 1 I'm glad to hear that he's not fulfilled sitting on the bench especially with how inconsistent (2+ seasons) De Gea's form has been.

Interesting to see what Solskjaer has in mind, it will be his judgement called into question.

el3mel

I don't think Henderson is ready yet to be our main starter to be honest, so I'll keep De Gea for one more season before moving on.

davidmichael

The general consensus is that De Gea has rapidly declined over the past 3 years so it isn’t a question of De Gea or Henderson leaving but is Henderson good enough to be our first choice keeper ? The answer is we don’t know because Henderson hasn’t been given a proper run to show whether he is.

We’ve got two keepers on over £100K a week and both want/expect to be first choice so when you’ve got a choice like that the simplest thing to do is give both a chance to show who’s the better option, De Gea has had plenty of time and chances so let’s go with Henderson til the end of the season and then we’ll have our answer.

One real intriguing thing in all of this is Donnarumma is available on a free transfer at the end of the season, do we get rid of De Gea and Henderson then go with Donnarumma ? Do we get rid of De Gea and let Donnarumma and Henderson fight it out ? Do we keep Romero as second choice ? I think the one right we do know in this is that De Gea isn’t the answer short term or long term.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's not that easy as just giving the chance to Henderson imo. de Gea for all his flaws, still make saves that not many other gk's can do. Not to mention that not long ago he was our best player over several years.
Is it unimaginable that DDG gets back to his best form? I wouldn't rule it out. He must also hold some status in the dressing room. If he was suddently dropped from the first team, and Henderson takes over, it could become a bit of an issue in the squad i imagine.
With the bolded, I don't think that's the case anymore. To some extent he was still making a few great saves in the previous two seasons (although still nowhere near as many as he once did), but this season I remember only one or two times where he made a save I was seriously impressed with.

And after two and a half seasons of poor form, it's gone on long enough I highly doubt De Gea will get back to near his best. After one, maybe even two years, there's still hope, but he's coming up on three years now.

DoomSlayer

It’s a simple question I’ve asked. I tried looking for good sources and struggled. One had De Gea ranked 6th for save percentages last season and 8th overall for keepers this season. If you want to be a twat about it, knock yourself out.
https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepers/Premier-League-Stats#all_stats_keeper

On Performance, look at the stats. Just sort the table by "Save %" and find out that De Gea is in the bottom 3 of the more regular GKs used in the PL.

acnumber9