No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

Gandalf

If we can find a loan for DDG that would be great but even that may be a struggle, our best hope honestly is that Oblak leaves and we can work something out with Athletico as DDG may be willing to take a pay cut to move home. I understand the reports about Dean wanting to be number 1 but honestly he doesn't have the leverage here, he signed an extension and if we tell him to wait another year or two he does not have any choice, downing tools or kicking up a fuss would not end well for him. I guess we are just going to have to cross our fingers that reputation is enough to tempt someone to make an offer regardless of recent form but I just can't see who would be interested.

RkkMan

If we can find a loan for DDG that would be great but even that may be a struggle, our best hope honestly is that Oblak leaves and we can work something out with Athletico as DDG may be willing to take a pay cut to move home. I understand the reports about Dean wanting to be number 1 but honestly he doesn't have the leverage here, he signed an extension and if we tell him to wait another year or two he does not have any choice, downing tools or kicking up a fuss would not end well for him. I guess we are just going to have to cross our fingers that reputation is enough to tempt someone to make an offer regardless of recent form but I just can't see who would be interested.
We found someone for Rooney and Alexis despite their past it ability we'll find someone for De Gea and if Henderson works hard to keep his No1 slot it would be completely unfair to undermine all his hard work for the sake of accommodating a GK who's frankly past his best. Despite the difficulties that will come with offloading DDG if we do decide to get rid something will have to be done. Even though it's not the easier option it's the best option for the club and both GKs

AaronRedDevil

We are very lucky for these 2. Going to be hard to see De Gea go, but Henderson is nearly giving me confidence that he can take over if De Gea leaves.

We found someone for Rooney and Alexis despite their past it ability we'll find someone for De Gea and if Henderson works hard to keep his No1 slot it would be completely unfair to undermine all his hard work for the sake of accommodating a GK who's frankly past his best. Despite the difficulties that will come with offloading DDG if we do decide to get rid something will have to be done. Even though it's not the easier option it's the best option for the club and both GKs
DDG could easily have 6-7 years as the top level left. Rooney was on his last legs, and certainly Sanchez looked it. No idea (and don’t care), how he’s doing at Inter.

he may not be the goalkeeper that he was, but he’s still currently no 1 for United - he can more than do a job in the top leagues. As long as he still wants to be a number 1 - we won’t have a problem moving him on. That desire to play is important, because he will clearly need to take a far lower salary.

SAFMUTD

We really shoot ourselves in the foot with that De Gea contract, many of us knew and said it was a huge mistake to give such ridicule high wages to him specially after there were clear signs of him heavily declining.

Now we have another Alexis Sanchez situation in our hands, a tremendously overpaid player that we will need to subsidy his wages in order to get him to move.

I dont think we can get money for him at all, well be lucky if we can send him on loan with someone stupid enough to pay his full wages and if he does a good job then take him for free.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Neither. Both are average keepers. We need a top keeper like Oblak.

RashyForPM

I see this type of post a lot, but Henderson was the best goalkeeper in the league last season (backed up by stats, he had the best expected goals conceded to goals conceded ratio of any keeper). Also, he’s only 24 now. Give him time, and he could be our keeper for the next dozen years.

Tallis

If there is someone who can pay his wages, i think the right thing to do is to leave DDG leave. Between him and Romero, it’s almost £500K / week of expense we bear which can be avoided. If we can get rid of Martial, that would be another £250K and would create some financial capacity to bring in better players. Add Mata and Jones, we are saving £50-60mm a year which is basically what you get from playing in the champions league in terms of prize money.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
His wife and baby likely to stay in Spain. That's not going to work is it? He's obviously going to want to move back there.

Can't imagine any club will pay him even half of what he earns here though but maybe he's alright with that.

AkaAkuma

I don't think a pay off will be a problem or substantial. He clearly would like to go back to spain to be with his family. Max 12m isn't bad business considering it's timed with Henderson taking his place. So we've not had to do a big outlay to replace somebody we're paying off.

Marcus

I need to see more of Henderson. His shot-stoppping does not fill me with confidence yet. Other aspects of his game, I like. Claiming high balls in his area and starting counter-attacks, for instance.

If there is someone who can pay his wages, i think the right thing to do is to leave DDG leave. Between him and Romero, it’s almost £500K / week of expense we bear which can be avoided. If we can get rid of Martial, that would be another £250K and would create some financial capacity to bring in better players. Add Mata and Jones, we are saving £50-60mm a year which is basically what you get from playing in the champions league in terms of prize money.
forgot about bloody Romero.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s sad to think DDG is going to leave with no fanfare, more of a good riddance, but that’s how far he’s fallen since that infamous fax.

He’d already be gone if anyone still wanted him.

RkkMan

To who?

No one is gonna buy a past his best keeper who so happens to best paid in his position. We're stuck with him for better or worse.
I mean we found buyers for Rooney/Alexis if we're serious we can find someone for De Gea especially if it's true we'll pay off a chunk of his wages to make him affordable to others. It'll likely be loan first like Alexis then he goes permanently in a year he'll probably go back to some Spanish team like David Silva who's being paid handsomely at Sociedad. Selling him is difficult but not impossible and also the BEST decision

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

davidmichael

I’ve said this a lot and you also forgot Dalot, Lingard and Chong as well as De Gea, Romero, Jones and Mata although I don’t believe Martial will be going anywhere as Cavani is making noise of wanting to back to South America.

With the ones I’ve mentioned leaving though that’s around £1 million a week in wages and over £1 million a week if Cavani was to go so you’re talking £50-£55 million a year in wages alone being saved for player we don’t use and don’t need which is crazy.

It just goes to show how wasteful and over the top we’ve been with players and contracts over the past half a decade. We’ve got so many great prospects in Laird, Jurado, Mengi, Fernandez, Devine, Garner, Levitt, Mejbri, Shoretire, McNeil and Hugill that we don’t need to be so wasteful.

I think if we offered De Gea to clubs on a free transfer just to get him off the wage bill they’d be a lot of interest especially seeing as his wife would no doubt be on at him to go back to Spain even if it meant a pay cut, it wouldn’t be Real or Barca and definitely won’t be Atletico seeing as they have the best keeper in the world in Oblak BUT it would be any of the rest.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
To who?

No one is gonna buy a past his best keeper who so happens to best paid in his position. We're stuck with him for better or worse.
A goalkeeper is all about confidence. Lose that and he's in trouble. Now with his Mrs and baby daughter living in Madrid (for how long?) it could be he suffers even more. Best of all worlds would be we sign Obalak, De Gea goes back to Atlético feels more settled and starts to find form again. He'd probably (?) be willing to take a paycut just to be back home again with his family.

Judas

Open to offers
It’s sad to think DDG is going to leave with no fanfare, more of a good riddance, but that’s how far he’s fallen since that infamous fax.

He’d already be gone if anyone still wanted him.
That's a bit strong I think. Do many people on here have that sort of sentiment towards him? There's one thing thinking its time for a change, but I don't think there'll be sort of a "get in, he's gone!!!!" sort of feeling, maybe I'm wrong. Plus he was excellent well after the fax machine incident too.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Would PSG want him? They already have Navas who is equal to or better than DDG.

A goalkeeper is all about confidence. Lose that and he's in trouble. Now with his Mrs and baby daughter living in Madrid (for how long?) it could be he suffers even more. Best of all worlds would be we sign Obalak, De Gea goes back to Atlético feels more settled and starts to find form again. He'd probably (?) be willing to take a paycut just to be back home again with his family.
Oblak would be ideal, but all the talk coming out of the United camp is that Henderson will be number one next season. I hope that's not the case as I'm not remotely convinced that he's good enough for United.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I suppose if it is true then we should see Henderson continue in goal today? Whereas De Gea coming back into the team wouldn't seem to make sense if we've already chosen to let him go in the summer.

Not that Henderson playing will prove the mirror right but it would at least be in line with their claims.
We should see Henderson in net today. There’s an argument to be made for DDG to start if he had suffered an injury that kept him out, but he made a conscious choice to take a break. That alone should keep him on the bench today. Let DDG start Thursday & be our cup keeper. If Henderson screws up to any degree today, then DDG could take back over the PL games. But not today’s.

POF

I think they've already made the decision that Henderson will be number one next season.

But I get the impression that United will feel they can get more for David De Gea, United's number one, than David De Gea, dropped to the reserves in favour of an academy player.

So, they don't want De Gea to be seen as the reserve keeper before he leaves.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Would PSG want him? They already have Navas who is equal to or better than DDG.

Oblak would be ideal, but all the talk coming out of the United camp is that Henderson will be number one next season. I hope that's not the case as I'm not remotely convinced that he's good enough for United.
Probably too early to write Henderson off but I do have the same reservations. I watched De Gea a lot when he was at Atlético and I was more than impressed with him and was 100% sure that singing him was the right move for the club to take even though his tenure didn't start off too good. I just don't have the same feelings about Henderson.

It's obvious the club won't be looking for a GK this next season even if Obalak did come on the market so we'll have to hope the clubs faith in Henderson pays off because De Gea as much as I like(d) him as a player certainly isn't the answer.

Eugenius

We aren't going to let him go on a free. He should easily have another 5 years at the top, isn't a dressing room pariah like Sanchez and there is still a good goalkeeper in there especially in a less physical league.

Could see him getting loaned or maybe subsidise part of his wages. Having said that I think probably only at PSG or Juve would he be a meaningful upgrade on what they have currently. I'm sure he'd love to be back in Spain, but can't see any of the top 3 in for him there.

Castia

Let’s sell em both and sign Oblak!?

Typical United to 1) have a keeper on 350k a week for a start and 2) bench him to the backup keeper spot.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
DDG won't leave. He's on a ridiculous contract both in terms of salary and longevity.

kenzowloch

Can someone please help me understand why the papers are suggesting Utd would need to pay off DDG to move on?

Unless I am mistaken by entering into a new contract with a new club, Utd's current agreement with DDG is 'null and void' and therefore we are no longer obliged to pay him the rumoured £375k p/w.

Or... is it simply the case that DDG can refuse to budge to pastures new unless we give him a golden goodbye (as was the case with Alexis/Inter)? Surely 'rot in the reserves', albeit on £375k p/w, is incentive enough for him to move elsewhere on a lower wage?

Am I missing the point or just being plain stupid/naive!?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Can someone please help me understand why the papers are suggesting Utd would need to pay off DDG to move on?

Unless I am mistaken by entering into a new contract with a new club, Utd's current agreement with DDG is 'null and void' and therefore we are no longer obliged to pay him the rumoured £375k p/w.

Or... is it simply the case that DDG can refuse to budge to pastures new unless we give him a golden goodbye (as was the case with Alexis/Inter)? Surely 'rot in the reserves', albeit on £375k p/w, is incentive enough for him to move elsewhere on a lower wage?

If we want him to move he can either say no and sit out his contract or sign a much smaller one at a new club.

Presumably if we pay him off to leave he just gets his basic and it's cheaper than any add-ons for the team winning or loyalty bonuses he might accrue, even playing for the reserves. Plus he ain't lingering all bitter.

Castia

Nobody will offer him 200k let alone 375k so he either sits on his current contract at United or we give him a payment to find another club

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
As usual the club had messed up. We've got a first team GK whose decent but not great whose costing us more then 19m per year while our second choice keeper is on a looping 5.2m per year. Both are paid more then Liverpool's goalkeeper Alisson whose at 4.2m per year which is slightly more to our 3rd choice goalkeeper Romero whose on 3.64m per year. That's nearly 28m+ per year for 3 goalkeepers who are hardly WC. Its nearly as crazy as giving Jones a 5 year contract.

Thank god that we retained the brilliant minds behind such deal. Some might even got promoted as well. But hey don't dare criticising the structure of the club and its CEO else the hounds will come up running.

Don't Kill Bill

If we want him to move he can either say no and sit out his contract or sign a much smaller one at a new club.

Presumably if we pay him off to leave he just gets his basic and it's cheaper than any add-ons for the team winning or loyalty bonuses he might accrue, even playing for the reserves. Plus he ain't lingering all bitter.
If he sits on his contract he does so in England. His chances of playing for Spain gone.

If the manager decides he is No 2 next year he will ask for a transfer and take the best offer from Spain most likely. I wonder if AM might decide to cash in on Oblak.

We will have to buy a second goalie for the bench so paying him off to also add another keepers wages and transfer fee doesn't seem to make much sense.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
De Gea should take a pay cut to go back to Spain and be with his family. He would be well suited to going to a non-Barca/Madrid La Liga club where there would probably be a little less pressure so that he can enjoy the remainder of his career.

Someone like a Sevilla, Sociedad, Betis or Villareal would surely be interested.

If he refuses, tell him he will be on the bench next season. He won’t get picked for Spain, and after that, nobody is going to be offering him big money anyway.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Henderson has the best job in football. £100k a week, and every week he doesn't play he gets better in the eyes of the British press.

Wicked_Badger

Chuck him + cash at AM for Oblak and sell Henderson to Everton or someone to make up for the Oblak cash.

We get a great keeper, and avoid Henderson not being up to task. He gets to go home to AM & family in Spain.

Win for everyone.