No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

RikRuud

Could come down to which Goalkeeper traits Ole wants the most. World class shot stopper VS a more area commanding goalkeeper. I have my doubts over Henderson's shot stopping ability. If De Gea is tempted by Madrid i'd try absolutely everything to get Oblak in some sort of swap plus cash.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
Not De Gea, he makes too many mistakes, don't know if Henderson is the number 1 or the goalkeeper that comes in.

davidmichael

Could come down to which Goalkeeper traits Ole wants the most. World class shot stopper VS a more area commanding goalkeeper. I have my doubts over Henderson's shot stopping ability. If De Gea is tempted by Madrid i'd try absolutely everything to get Oblak in some sort of swap plus cash.
Problem is De Gea is no longer a world class shot stopper anymore either, he’s still really good at times but has Casillas syndrome in that he peaked young in his career and reflexes are going early for a goalkeeper.

When Real let Casillas go no one other than Porto came in for him despite him being the best shot stopper around and world class only a few years before, unlike Real though we seem to place far too much sentiment with players instead of being ruthless and moving them on.

Last season Henderson was one of the best keepers in the league but the main difference was he was having to show how good he was much more due to Sheffield United being relegation candidates, for us he may not have anything to do for 80 minutes so has to make sure he stays alert at all times which is what made De Gea so great as his reflexes and instincts were the best around.

At 24 years old and having been good enough to oust De Gea as number one I think Henderson should be given at least all of next season as undisputed number one, we look far better at the back with Henderson as he’s vocal and much more commanding of his area but best of all he’s only going to get better with experience and being a local lad he’s never going to want to leave.

SwedishFish

Question is who do we get as a backup GK?

Romero understandably is gone as he wants out.

De Gea can't possibly stay on for much longer if the situation stays like this.

Lentwood

Henderson has had the best save percentage in the league two season running now hasn't he? I don't see how there can be doubts about his shot-stopping based on what we have seen so far.

Neither. This is going to be another Schmeichel replacement saga with a number of keepers coming in who just aren't good enough.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Guys can we calm down. He's only 24 in his first full season with us. He's going to make mistakes here and there ans he's still settling in to his number one role.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Guys can we calm down. He's only 24 in his first full season with us. He's going to make mistakes here and there ans he's still settling in to his number one role.
You aren’t allowed to say this

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you want a goalkeeper who comes out and tries to sweep/claim more then you have to live with the fact that he will also occasionally misjudge it. Just as if you preferred a goalkeeper who was more conservative you have to live with the idea that chances will occur that another keeper would prevent.

baskinginthesun

If you want a goalkeeper who comes out and tries to sweep/claim more then you have to live with the fact that he will also occasionally misjudge it. Just as if you preferred a goalkeeper who was more conservative you have to live with the idea that chances will occur that another keeper would prevent.
Exactly.

What I like about Henderson is coming off his line to sweep up or collect the ball at the edge of the area. It completely relieves the center backs of any pressure and allows the team to regroup. If he stays on his line or hesitates the CBs are forced to defend and allows the pressure to build from the other team.

RedMarcus

For me I think Henderson deserves his chance. De Gea still has a role to play and may come back in if Henderson's performance dips but its Dean's shirt for now.

lysglimt

Scout
Yes but you cant have a goalkeeper who mistakes 2 mistakes like that in one game - that is the kind of mistakes you are allowed to make once or twice a season. Henderson is simply not good enough to be a United-regular if we are going to win the league.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Question is who do we get as a backup GK?

Romero understandably is gone as he wants out.

De Gea can't possibly stay on for much longer if the situation stays like this.
I like the idea of bringing Sam Johnstone back, I'm sure he'd sacrifice first team football in the Championship to being our number 2

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Henderson's decision making was off today, but he will learn from it. He should have been out to punch the goal and he should have stayed on his line for a couple he came out for. In the end, it didn't cost us. The key to making mistakes is learning from them. What we don't need is knee jerk reactions but I know that's a lot to ask around here...

OhGee

Exactly.

What I like about Henderson is coming off his line to sweep up or collect the ball at the edge of the area. It completely relieves the center backs of any pressure and allows the team to regroup. If he stays on his line or hesitates the CBs are forced to defend and allows the pressure to build from the other team.
His decision making today was poor - came out twice, one resulting in a goal which was marginally offside and another clattering into Lindelof when the ball was in our possession. Then he stayed grounded for the goal when he should have come out for it...reminds me too much of a lesser Pickford version to warrant being our number. Just another overhyped English player...

AKDevil

I’m listening to Keane’s comments even closer after what he said about Kane. Mentioned presence in the goal today. Hmmm

I like the idea of bringing Sam Johnstone back, I'm sure he'd sacrifice first team football in the Championship to being our number 2
i disagree.

he’s only about 28. He’s got another decade of football. If he was 5 years older, then sure - but he can easily mix it in the lower half of the PL, either with WBA or another club over the next couple of yess.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
i disagree.

he’s only about 28. He’s got another decade of football. If he was 5 years older, then sure - but he can easily mix it in the lower half of the PL, either with WBA or another club over the next couple of yess.
But West Brom won't be a lower half PL team next season, they'll be in the championship. You think he'd turn down a move if we came calling? I disagree

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
His decision making today was poor - came out twice, one resulting in a goal which was marginally offside and another clattering into Lindelof when the ball was in our possession. Then he stayed grounded for the goal when he should have come out for it...reminds me too much of a lesser Pickford version to warrant being our number. Just another overhyped English player...
The guy has literally made a single mistake after breaking through and he is deemed not good enough :lol:

Our fans are a level below and it simply makes me laugh.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Kovar looks the real deal. If Henderson is number 1, Kovar will learn. Only problem is if Henderson gets injured, then bringing on Kovar would fill me with something akin to panic going so young. But what experienced goalkeepe would join us to stay on the bench?

But West Brom won't be a lower half PL team next season, they'll be in the championship. You think he'd turn down a move if we came calling? I disagree
not to be a no 2. Stay at WBA and try to get straight back up, or move to a team in the bottom half of the PL as a no 1 or at the very least competing for the shirt. That won’t be the case at United. I don’t think that an attractive proposition at all, even if it is United.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Good post here except for the ‘only 24.’ He’s a multi-year PL player / starter, using ‘he’s only 24’ isn’t an excuse or reason. That really isn’t valid anymore.

He brings a bit more to the team than DDG, he made glaring errors today, just like DDG, &
should continue as a starter for the remainder of the year to judge him.

But don’t chalk it up to him being young.

Dve

Henderson for me, mostly because of his passing quality which helps us playing out from the back and keeping possession. He´s still young, though, and while he last week received a lot of praise for rushing out, and maybe because of that, he went too far with it today. His mistakes today will only make him better.

roseguy64

The guy has literally made a single mistake after breaking through and he is deemed not good enough :lol:

Our fans are a level below and it simply makes me laugh.
He's made more than one mistake this season has Henderson. Today, against Sheffield United and that Europa match against Milan off the top of my head.

RkkMan

Yes but you cant have a goalkeeper who mistakes 2 mistakes like that in one game - that is the kind of mistakes you are allowed to make once or twice a season. Henderson is simply not good enough to be a United-regular if we are going to win the league.
You clearly havent watched Ederson/Alisson this season if you think sweeper GKs only make "one or two mistakes per season". Sweepers high risk high reward GKs they will misjudge a few situations but their benefits outweigh their flaws. And Henderson was still solid today collected some very crucial high balls and his distribution was once again top class

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
He's made more than one mistake this season has Henderson. Today, against Sheffield United and that Europa match against Milan off the top of my head.
To be fair, he was used to passing to a striped shirt for a couple of years so cut him some slack.

lysglimt

Scout
You clearly havent watched Ederson/Alisson this season if you think sweeper GKs only make "one or two mistakes per season". Sweepers high risk high reward GKs they will misjudge a few situations but their benefits outweigh their flaws. And Henderson was still solid today collected some very crucial high balls and his distribution was once again top class
If your definition of solid is almost granting the opposition 2 goals - then yes he was solid. To misjudge a corner or two - yes that can happen. But to come rushing 12-13 meters out of the box and miss the ball is simply awful goalkeeping. Only a huge amount of luck saved Henderson from costing us the win today.

Allisson has been awful this season - but the number of mistakes he made last season was probably as many as Henderson made today. He is just not top-class goalkeeper. He is too small, he is not commanding enough in the box and he doesn't have the reflexes like DDG has.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
If your definition of solid is almost granting the opposition 2 goals - then yes he was solid. To misjudge a corner or two - yes that can happen. But to come rushing 12-13 meters out of the box and miss the ball is simply awful goalkeeping. Only a huge amount of luck saved Henderson from costing us the win today.

Allisson has been awful this season - but the number of mistakes he made last season was probably as many as Henderson made today. He is just not top-class goalkeeper. He is too small, he is not commanding enough in the box and he doesn't have the reflexes like DDG has.
How old is Allisson?

joedirt87

When's the last time you saw a United goal keeper wear a hat during a game (I don't remember De Gea or VDS ever wearing one) . De Gea over Henderson just for that.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
There are some parts of Hendersons game I like and there are some areas he needs to work on. Some say he's better hen De Gea. I think saving and how you save is important. Hold on to the ball or parry it as wide as possible. Hendersons been lucky that he's got away with quite a few mistakes where others got punished nearly every time. Goalkeepers aren't footballers. They're goalkeepers. Needs to iron out his game and work hard because he's not number one yet. He's a very lucky boy that his mistakes haven't hurt us because we all know people have short memories and no loyalty these days...

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
When's the last time you saw a United goal keeper wear a hat during a game (I don't remember De Gea or VDS ever wearing one) . De Gea over Henderson just for that.
I was curious about keepers wearing hats and a quick google search shows one of your own Harry Gregg wearing a cap. I think more keepers should wear them if the sun is an issue for them.

OrcaFat

Good post here except for the ‘only 24.’ He’s a multi-year PL player / starter, using ‘he’s only 24’ isn’t an excuse or reason. That really isn’t valid anymore.

He brings a bit more to the team than DDG, he made glaring errors today, just like DDG, &
should continue as a starter for the remainder of the year to judge him.

But don’t chalk it up to him being young.
Keepers don’t get any better after the age of 24, now? The world’s gone mad.