No.1 for next season - De Gea or Henderson?

No.1 for next season

• De Gea

Votes: 264 37.0%
  • Henderson

Votes: 309 43.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 99 13.9%
  • Play both

Votes: 42 5.9%

• Total voters

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Henderson has seen more clean sheets in half the amount of games. So surely he's better at something?
Are you serious here? We've just seen a demonstration how the goalie has little or no control over clean sheets when the defence is in shambles and you've coming up with this dumb clean sheets stat? I give up.

De Gea is not the answer.

Henderson is not the answer.

A new proven keeper is the answer.
I actually tend to agree. We should have sold Henderson and created a long-term plan for a new goalie to replace De Gea. But short-term, it's DdG all the way.

Oranges038

Are you serious here? We've just seen a demonstration how the goalie has little or no control over clean sheets when the defence is in shambles and you've coming up with this dumb clean sheets stat? I give up.
He has no little or no control over keeping the ball out of the net at all? What's the point in having a keeper then?

De Gea is finished. Henderson might not be the answer but right now, he is a better keeper for the team as a whole than De Gea.

Fooza

No way is Hendo the GK for us, unfortunately we are united and never ruthless to get rid quickly. Hopefully it doesnt bite us for seasons to come.

De Gea for now please Ole.

spiriticon

Well the clean sheet stat is important for a keeper though isn't it?

No point making 10 good saves when you still concede 3 and lose the match.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Even excellent goalkeeper have bad games so I wouldn't rush to judgement just yet. He really hasn't played that much for us that we can make hard calls.

The issue for Henderson is that a really high standard is demanded in his position. By which I mean the likes of Howard and Foster were good enough to have long PL careers with individual seasons in which they were rightly praised (think Howard made it into the PFA team of the year at one point), but still weren't cut out to be United #1s.

I've seen enough of Henderson to have no doubt he'll be a very good PL-level goalkeeper. Probably an England #1 too. Whether he can be more than that I'm far less sure and he really will need to be more than that.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
The penny is finally dropping I see.

Edit: By that, I mean the penny being that the sunshine does not come out of Henderson's anus. He may still be a good 'keeper, but he is not Jesus reincarnate, and its not clear-cut that he starts over DDG.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Even excellent goalkeeper have bad games so I wouldn't rush to judgement just yet. He really hasn't played that much for us that we can make hard calls.

The issue for Henderson is that a really high standard is demanded in his position. By which I mean the likes of Howard and Foster were good enough to have long PL careers with individual seasons in which they were rightly praised (think Howard made it into the PFA team of the year at one point), but still weren't cut out to be United #1s.

I've seen enough of Henderson to have no doubt he'll be a very good PL-level goalkeeper. Probably an England #1 too. Whether he can be more than that I'm far less sure and he really will need to be more than that.
Spot on. People seem to think an England no.1 is the level required for a United no.1. It's not, we're (still, I think) a level above that.

MU655

Henderson actually has the highest save percentage in the league. Not sure if it so after tonight, but he wouldn't have dropped much.

He can get better at things, but that will come with experience. Signing a goalkeeper would be pointless.

It was poor night from the team. Defence was poor. We have plenty of clean sheets with him in goal. I would stick with him next season as he seems to have a good understanding with the defence most of the time.

roseguy64

We have a GK problem for next season don't we? Neither are good enough for a title winning side.

De Gea concedes 4 against fecking Roma, Henderson concedes feck knows how many against Leicester and Liverpool
Are you blaming De Gea for conceding 4 against Roma? Really? He's the only reason it wasn't more goals conceded.

roseguy64

Henderson is a good keeper and better at being a sweeper keeper/coming out but De Gea is still the better overall keeper.

meamth

De Gea will always have some technique to parry the ball away. Henson was just poor, trying to catch whatever shot coming at him.

De Gea has more experience, we should've started with him today.

hubbuh

Both have massive glaring issues and probably aren't good enough for what we're aspiring to.

The Oracle

I honestly believe Martínez is the answer.

Guaranteed Champions League football could very well convince him to sign for us.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Imagine Dean Henderson is not from England.

He would never be considered as number one.

Ben Foster was, for some time, but he wasn't a serious candidate.

Nikelesh Reddy

I am not going to be overly critical of him for last nights error,like you said,even the best make mistakes.But based on what I have seen of him this season,I can safely say that he’s not good enough to be our number 1.He’s in the same mould as Tim Howard and Ben Foster,a very good PL keeper,but not good enough for Man united.

He never looks like he’s in control of his box,he’s always flappy and erratic from set pieces....He has the tendency to needlessly get involved in the play...All in all,he’s not the real deal....

Devil81

I honestly believe Martínez is the answer.

Guaranteed Champions League football could very well convince him to sign for us.
I second this, he is a monster of a keeper.

I'm sure Villa would do a deal if we included Henderson the other way.

Lentwood

The question of whether Henderson is good enough still needs to be answered.

The question of whether De Gea is (still) good enough has been answered and it’s a “no”.

It’s not “Henderson or De Gea?” it’s “Henderson or who do we sign?”

sugar_kane

Henderson makes me think of Joe Hart a bit - a cocky, loud English keeper who is okay but not all that.

If the club had any sense they'd have been doing everything they can to coach all the missing elements into De Gea's game, and working with him on his confidence when it comes to coming off his line and dominating his box.

Sadly I think it's probably too late on in his career to start completely trying to change De Gea's game.

Go with Henderson into next year if needed, but sign someone world class asap.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

The question of whether De Gea is (still) good enough has been answered and it’s a “no”.

Exactly.

There are definite questions about Henderson. He may be good enough to be our long term #1. He may be better than De Gea is now but still not good enough. He may be about the same level as De Gea is now. He may be worse than De Gea is.

Any fan saying one of those answers is definitely true is being ridiculous. The sample size is too small, which is why this transition should have happened earlier in the season so we could have given ourselves longer to make that decision. It would have been nice to know for certain before next season if we had to try to sign a new keeper (although obviously the coaching team has seen more of him than we have).

Judas

Open to offers

This is where I am. De Gea has strengths clearly, so does Henderson. But both of them have issues.

I just hope the club are on the same page, because there's no need to put all our eggs in either of these baskets long term, other goalkeepers exist.

Jaxa

Henderson is a good keeper and better at being a sweeper keeper/coming out but De Gea is still the better overall keeper.
You summed it up, If De Gea had the ability and confidence to come and sweep balls up there wouldn't even be a discussion imo,

De Gea is the superior keeper in most areas however he is allergic to sweeping and it's an important attribute to have for a modern day goalkeeper.

phenry

Hopefully the time on the sidelines will spur de Gea on to up his game. Similarly the time he had as no. 1 will be a great learning curve for deano

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The stats I saw earlier in the season suggest that Henderson prevents approx 1 extra goal every 12 games through his sweeping and 1 goal every 7 through his superior claiming as compared to De Gea.

Really the question is a) if Henderson is sustainably that much better in those departments than De Gea over a larger sample size and b) if De Gea is better enough in other areas to compensate.

spiriticon

Are you blaming De Gea for conceding 4 against Roma? Really? He's the only reason it wasn't more goals conceded.
I think he has to take the fair share of the blame for conceding feck loads of goals, yes. He made a lot of saves in the second leg but one has to question why the Roma attackers were allowed to pummel his goal with shots.

You can blame the defence of course, just like you can blame the Maguire-less defence for Henderson conceding 6 in his last 2 matches. End of the day, the defence works as a unit and the goalkeeper is part of it.

Revan

Assumptionman
I do not see how this is close. Even a declines De Gea is far better than Henderson, who is as average as some keeper can get.

Literally you can randomly select a bottom 10 team, switch the keepers, and you would get around the same quality as in Henderson who does not excel in anything at all, and has many weaknesses.

I actually think that Romero is comfortably better than Henderson.

Eugenius

Spending £50m+ on a top level GK isn't going to happen though. Probably 4th or 5th in the priority list.

If DDG proves himself the better keeper of the two, and Henderson isn't good enough to be our long term #1, why would we not play him?

Lentwood

Spending £50m+ on a top level GK isn't going to happen though. Probably 4th or 5th in the priority list.

If DDG proves himself the better keeper of the two, and Henderson isn't good enough to be our long term #1, why would we not play him?
Well because in my opinion, De Gea has struggled badly for two seasons now at least.

I wouldn’t say Henderson has “struggled”, it’s just the jury is out on whether he’s got the extra bit of class needed

LuckyScout78

Swap Henderson with premier best goalkeeper this season in Martinez from Villa. 28 and at his peak. Not sure who worth more. But clearly Martinez was really good for Arsenal in the end of last season and helped them to win FA cup and consistent really good whole season for Villa.

About De Gea he is still good. But De Gea vs Martinez. I easily pick Martinez any day of the week.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Swap Henderson with premier best goalkeeper this season in Martinez from Villa. 28 and at his peak. Not sure who worth more. But clearly Martinez was really good for Arsenal in the end of last season and helped them to win FA cup and consistent really good whole season for Villa.

About De Gea he is still good. But De Gea vs Martinez. I easily pick Martinez any day of the week.
You're taking Heaton from us and want our number one aswell....righto. :lol:

We'd want 50m + for him given his impact this season, what we signed him for and length of time left on his contract.

MU655

I don't think De Gea would want to stay, anyway, so the conversation is pointless. You have to remember he has a kid now; he probably wants to go back to Spain.

Henderson next season is fine. Goalkeeper is not the reason we are not winning the league.

yamo123x

The salah goal last night was very poor goalkeeping, firminho 2nd likewise and the first one i would argue he should have gone with his hands not feet....he has been pretty solid other than that... not convinced by either of our GK's tbh, or our back 4 bar Shaw, or our central midfielders.... huge changes needed

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Not that I've read this whole thread, but does Henderson remind anyone of Hart /Pickford in terms of hype vs actual ability?

He has made a couple of vital saves during his consistent run, I'll give him that, but these have typically been point blank saves where it requires bravery and timing, not lightning quick reactions from a corner-aimed shot where I feel the skill and talent truly lie in top goalies.

Henderson has been bigged up by a lot of the caf for having "more of a presence aerially in the box". I think from last night's showing that was certainly not the case, as well as a prime example against Burnley when he let in a headed goal from Woods outside the box in the 1st minute (very fortunately called offside).

I dont see any superiority of Henderson's attributes compared to De Gea. We would not be in the EL final were he between the sticks; that is a very real scenario. De Gea has been rocky for sure, but I woulr say he was one of the biggest reasons we went through that night.

Stick de Gea in for rest of season, secure 2nd and give us a chance of a trophy for 2021

Dante

Average bang
The fact DDG is starting today makes me think that Ole wants to give him a send off with the fans in the stadium.