No.10/CAM signing in the January window

sherrinford

Ziyech from Ajax stands out. I think he'll be significantly cheaper than Grealish and is also a better player.
Not convinced he’s a better player, excels from the right though which would be a novelty here. Ziyech has an absolutely wonderful left foot but physically Grealish is on another level. Both creative risk-takers and players who have enough about them to not be frustrating in that regard. £45m seems to be the price for Grealish - hasn’t Ziyech’s rumoured release clause been removed from his contract? I think we would do well to get him significantly cheaper than that.

JMack1234

Put in a decent bid for Eriksen and see if we can tempt Levy.

If not lets play Pogba at no.10 and see what happens.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not convinced he’s a better player, excels from the right though which would be a novelty here. Ziyech has an absolutely wonderful left foot but physically Grealish is on another level. Both creative risk-takers and players who have enough about them to not be frustrating in that regard. £45m seems to be the price for Grealish - hasn’t Ziyech’s rumoured release clause been removed from his contract? I think we would do well to get him significantly cheaper than that.
@Dante did post refuting the legitimacy of a £45m clause in Grealish's contract. And if true, he will likely go for over £60m imo.

Ziyech is a proven performer at UCL level. He's also at a club where the hierarchy genuinely seem to care about the players wishes and therefor set a reasonable price for potential suitors as seen with De Ligt and De Jong. If a big club offers Ajax around €30m, I do believe they'll consider it for Ziyech.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Grealish is definitely a player that need to be watched on. Honestly, he’s probably the most realistic option as well for this 2020 summer whether we will get CL or no. He’s younger than Ziyech & Eriksen, probably require less time than Ziyech to adapt with the league & what impress me the most is that he has transformed his attitude to be a good character as a player which is why he’s the captain of the club. I remember last season saw a clip when opposition fans hit him from behind and he didn’t try to fight back and remained calm.

Quality player with good potential and on for corner as well. 5 goals & 5 assists so far this season, not a bad number, the number is better than Maddison & Mount’s. I don’t think he has that 45m release clause. Too good to be true. Impossible to get him in January unless if the club accept our offer, can’t see the player push for a move in mid season, why? Just my 2 cent for his character as a captain of the club.

beingshe7don

Grealish is no doubt a good player but what's his ceiling as far as potential goes?

ArjenIsM3

We don't necessarily need a AM in January IMO. I feel we should revert back to 4-3-3 and sign Boubakary Soumare as the box to box #8.
Yeah fair enough. Don't really see it with Soumare though. Said in another thread he's big, strong, fast, good tackler but his passing isn't that good and he tends to take 4 or 5 touches before passing. Not sure if that's ideal for us as it slows down play.

Lynty

Nobody available in Jan. Erikson maybe, but I think that bird has flown.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Big clubs in England and Europe will rarely sell their top established players. If you want someone that would be guaranteed a game at City or Liverpool you would need to be signing Mbappe or his equivalent. The alternative is to do what Liverpool did, which was to buy Mane from Southampton (many people laughed that they had overpaid) and buy Salah (who had failed at Chelsea). You develop them and try to make them better. Then when that works Van Dijk sees the potential in the team and chooses Liverpool over other big clubs, as does Allison.
Absolutely. Nail on the head.

dev1l

Big clubs in England and Europe will rarely sell their top established players. If you want someone that would be guaranteed a game at City or Liverpool you would need to be signing Mbappe or his equivalent. The alternative is to do what Liverpool did, which was to buy Mane from Southampton (many people laughed that they had overpaid) and buy Salah (who had failed at Chelsea). You develop them and try to make them better. Then when that works Van Dijk sees the potential in the team and chooses Liverpool over other big clubs, as does Allison.
Spot on. Usually the only ones available are those who already started deteriorating -eg Sanchez etc.
In the last few years, Chelsea have become experts in making money out of this - they managed to get good money for Mata, Matic, Hazard after they had already peaked. I would stay away from someone like kante if they tell me he s available...

sherrinford

@Dante did post refuting the legitimacy of a £45m clause in Grealish's contract. And if true, he will likely go for over £60m imo.

Ziyech is a proven performer at UCL level. He's also at a club where the hierarchy genuinely seem to care about the players wishes and therefor set a reasonable price for potential suitors as seen with De Ligt and De Jong. If a big club offers Ajax around €30m, I do believe they'll consider it for Ziyech.
Yeah, quoting his manager. If I remember correctly though, Dean Smith did not dismiss reports of a buyout clause in Grealish’s contract at the end of last season when asked about it. I agree they would most likely be looking for more than that if there is no clause, and £60m has also been reported as the buyout figure.

I would have thought Ajax would be looking for €40m+ for Ziyech, if they have indeed taken the steps to remove a €25m clause in his contract.

Obviously none of us really know. I’m just not sure it’s a given that Grealish would cost considerably more than Ziyech.

Being proven at a higher level doesn’t automatically make you a better player.

Kag

This a crucial signing going forward. We’ve played all season with Pereira and Lingard at #10 and people wonder why we sit around the top six. Our midfield trio has been bottom half material.

CM10

Eze is a more skilful player imo and seems to have more potential than Grealish as a AM/#10. Eze would also cost alot less but would be a better investment in the longrun.
Eze is a bit of a luxury player and games can often pass him by, even in the Championship. I'm not sure he's ready for a Premier League move yet, never mind Manchester United.

Deuterium

I took the time to watch “highlight” videos for both Dani Olmo and Jack Grealish and I have to say that Olmo looks like a much better player all around, especially technically (which is needed in locking up tight defenses) than Grealish. I do hope we take a closer look at him as I only want the best for Man Utd.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Even if our targets Maddison and Grealish won't be available in January then why not get a Daniel James type of signing for now. Low cost and low risk but in a position we need. Matheus Pereira and Eberechi Eze fall in that category and they have the ability to improve our squad right now.

We can still go ahead and sign Maddison in the summer and Eze or Pereira becomes solid squad depth. Even if they flop then they didn't cost much anyways at least we tried to improve our season

Rocknrolla69er

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/carlo-ancelotti-lorenzo-insigne-everton-transfer-napoli

Rumours Insigne fancies a crack at the premiership, i think he d be ideal for the number 10 spot, creates plenty, scores a few, has leadership qualitys, is brilliant at set pieces, can unlock defences.

Surely we can out muscle Everton, seems Insigne has fallen out with Napolis owner as have a few it seems. While id love Grealish here due to the stats hes currently posting i also think this guy would be a shrewd signing too.

Bestietom

Think the new No 10 will be Maddison, but not until the summer. We will probably bring someone in on loan like Emre Can and maybe a forward also.

United Pro

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/carlo-ancelotti-lorenzo-insigne-everton-transfer-napoli

Rumours Insigne fancies a crack at the premiership, i think he d be ideal for the number 10 spot, creates plenty, scores a few, has leadership qualitys, is brilliant at set pieces, can unlock defences.

Surely we can out muscle Everton, seems Insigne has fallen out with Napolis owner as have a few it seems. While id love Grealish here due to the stats hes currently posting i also think this guy would be a shrewd signing too.

If we are targeting a player like Insigne, we should have just kept Sanchez. Arguably, Sanchez is more explosive and is proven in the league.

enurs

Get Hwang from Satzburg. He can play as nr 10 and nr 9.
Brilliant player, 23 years and can play many roles.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Nobody available in Jan. Erikson maybe, but I think that bird has flown.
If we looked hard enough, or really wanted one, I'm sure we could find one.

For example, I bet we could sign one of the most creative players in the world in Luis Alberto if we wanted. Especially as Lazio have been knocked out of the Europa. It's just we probably won't consider him at all.

Get Hwang from Satzburg. He can play as nr 10 and nr 9.
Brilliant player, 23 years and can play many roles.
Looks like he's nailed on to join Wolves.

Lynty

If we looked hard enough, or really wanted one, I'm sure we could find one.

For example, I bet we could sign one of the most creative players in the world in Luis Alberto if we wanted. Especially as Lazio have been knocked out of the Europa. It's just we probably won't consider him at all.
Good shout. But I think you're being a bit naive to think we wouldn't have considered him. He has sixth most assist in Europe this season. I'm sure he's been considered and discussed. Unless we have any Lazio fans on here, someone in our scouting department has seen more of Alberto than anyone on the Caf. It's literally their job.

Rocknrolla69er

If we are targeting a player like Insigne, we should have just kept Sanchez. Arguably, Sanchez is more explosive and is proven in the league.
The Sanchez with an attitude problem and no motivation?
Come on you cant use that Sanchez as an example, lets face it we 'd love the Arsenal version of Sanchez in the team now

United Pro

The Sanchez with an attitude problem and no motivation?
Come on you cant use that Sanchez as an example, lets face it we 'd love the Arsenal version of Sanchez in the team now
I'm comparing the players in terms of play style and how Sanchez plays in a similar fashion to Insigne in that they're both small, right footed left wingers who can also play centrally and do well in tight spaces. So, my original point suggested that if we are looking at Insigne as the profile of signing for a CAM, then we probably would have been better off keeping Sanchez rather than spending £50m on Insigne. My post wasn't to go after Insigne, as I rate him as a player but more that he's probably not the profile of signing we're currently looking at.

Rocknrolla69er

I'm comparing the players in terms of play style and how Sanchez plays in a similar fashion to Insigne in that they're both small, right footed left wingers who can also play centrally and do well in tight spaces. So, my original point suggested that if we are looking at Insigne as the profile of signing for a CAM, then we probably would have been better off keeping Sanchez rather than spending £50m on Insigne. My post wasn't to go after Insigne, as I rate him as a player but more that he's probably not the profile of signing we're currently looking at.
I think we would of kept Sanchez and he d be now playing if he had the right attitude and application, unfortunatley he didnt, which doesnt mean Isigne wouldnt be a good signing.

Releasing a player for having a poor attitude, doesnt mean you dont sign players who have a similar style. Bit of an odd way of looking at it

United Pro

I think we would of kept Sanchez and he d be now playing if he had the right attitude and application, unfortunatley he didnt, which doesnt mean Isigne wouldnt be a good signing.

Releasing a player for having a poor attitude, doesnt mean you dont sign players who have a similar style. Bit of an odd way of looking at it
I'm not sure it was just application that was the problem with Sanchez. He was imo already declining when we bought him, plus it didn't help that we were quite dysfunctional as an attacking unit.

Besides talking about bad attitude, Insigne is a player who's been accused of having this by De Laurentiis after having a bust up with Ancelloti- “Insigne’s an excellent sportsman, but he must stay calm, change his attitude and lay off certain things, he’s always had an attitude of discomfort in Naples."

The point I was making was that we seem to be targeting younger play makers as opposed to older left wingers to play as a number 10. Insigne may well be a cracking signing for us if we were to buy him though.

M16Red

Matheus Pereira

10 assets and 5 goals for West Brom. Number 10 left food and can play on the right

Rocknrolla69er

I'm not sure it was just application that was the problem with Sanchez. He was imo already declining when we bought him, plus it didn't help that we were quite dysfunctional as an attacking unit.

Besides talking about bad attitude, Insigne is a player who's been accused of having this by De Laurentiis after having a bust up with Ancelloti- “Insigne’s an excellent sportsman, but he must stay calm, change his attitude and lay off certain things, he’s always had an attitude of discomfort in Naples."

The point I was making was that we seem to be targeting younger play makers as opposed to older left wingers to play as a number 10. Insigne may well be a cracking signing for us if we were to buy him though.
Could be onto something if thats the case with regards to his falling out, maybe hes restless and ready for another challenege who knows, personally i think a more senior signing wouldnt go amiss, as we seem to lack leaders. Well liverpool also seem interested and we know their recruitment isnt too shabby lately........

Mr Smith

Have you been watching us the last 18 months? There are miles between Insinge and Sanchez...

I think Insinge would be a great signing, but I'd want to be 100% sure he wants to be here and isn't just another player for a poorer foreign club looking for his last big paycheck.

DarkRed

Have you been watching us the last 18 months? There are miles between Insinge and Sanchez...

I think Insinge would be a great signing, but I'd want to be 100% sure he wants to be here and isn't just another player for a poorer foreign club looking for his last big paycheck.
Player agent: Mino Raiola
Not sure we want to do business with him...

Le Red

Jack Grealish is the real deal. Some people say he's unconvincing, but they are probably the same people who mocked Mané when we were linked to him.

Le Red

Good shout. But I think you're being a bit naive to think we wouldn't have considered him. He has sixth most assist in Europe this season. I'm sure he's been considered and discussed. Unless we have any Lazio fans on here, someone in our scouting department has seen more of Alberto than anyone on the Caf. It's literally their job.
The same scouts who said Bruno Fernandes wasn't good enough for us because of some bullshit passing statistic?
These guys more often than not use spreadsheets to do their jobs, at the expense of spending time watching the player and finding out the reasons beyond such stats.
You seem to expect everyone is very professional and does their job very well. Elite football is surprisingly amateurish in many ways.