No.10/CAM signing in the January window

luke511

Mate there's a thread like this just 4 or 5 posts down
This is addressing the need for one ASAP, as in this transfer window. There's never been a greater need for a signing, Lingard Mata and Pereira all Championship quality, it's an absolute joke.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Solskjaer gave us a total of 8 minutes to see what Pogba looks like in that position before bringing Mata on. We played our best football in those 8 minutes, genius tactics.
We changed tactics when Mata came on. He was put on next to Fred with more freedom to go forward as we were chasing. Pogba was still a #10, he just likes to drift to the left, always has.

I'd rather we had Pogba playing there to be honest and got another CM in. Pogba in CM just isn't the right player at the right time for this club.

If Pogba leaves (likely, imo) then absolutely. Then again even if he stays maybe try a shrewd signing a la Minamino or whatever.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need a new 8 to play in a double 8 with Pogba. We probably need a new 6 to play behind them too.

Josep Dowling

Not gunna happen. It’s a joke how Ole hasn’t been identifying midfielders. We had no targets in the summer and seamingly he’s no prioritising a striker.

As a club we do ignore such blatant weaknesses in squad.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Think this is an accurate thread, minus the '.'

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why do we want a number 10? I don't think that we need one and I don't think that its perfect for McTominay and Pogba, a deep lying playmaker seems to be the most obvious option.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Solskjaer gave us a total of 8 minutes to see what Pogba looks like in that position before bringing Mata on. We played our best football in those 8 minutes, genius tactics.
Funny thing is that I’d most like to see Pogba either as a 10 or a midfielder with a bit of freedom on the side of 4-3-3, but I bet he gets stuck in a 4-2-3-1 double pivot and Scott or Fred are back on the bench. That’s what Ole did last season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Why do we want a number 10? I don't think that we need one and I don't think that its perfect for McTominay and Pogba, a deep lying playmaker seems to be the most obvious option.
A 10 is a silly idea. And McTominay needs to be improved upon too tbh. Saul would be perfect.

luke511

Seriously? We've been playing with a no.10 all season, with either Lingard, Mata or Pereira occupying the position.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Seriously? We've been playing with a no.10 all season, with either Lingard, Mata or Pereira occupying the position.
Yes, seriously. It's not as if we have been good in 4231 or if it gives us any sort of balance on paper. The beauty of not having a competent first eleven is that we don't have to limit our options to certain roles for the sake of it. Also the fact that we changed our system several times in order to match an opponent or today with the inclusion of Pogba shows that we don't have to simply look at a 10 as if it was the only alternative.

Walters_19_MuFc

We need a new 8 to play in a double 8 with Pogba. We probably need a new 6 to play behind them too.
That's if Ole wants to play a 433, but he's been playing a 4231 for the majority of the season.

If he sticks with a 4231, then in the games where we dominate, Pogba should continue to play as an 8. Just look at some of the passing he showed from deep in the 20 minutes he was on today. His long range passing is ridiculous.

At the 10 position, we could do with someone who's short game is good. Someone who is good in tight spaces and has the vision to unlock defences.

Eriksen is creative, but he's just a passer of the ball. I feel we need more than that. An all round 10 that can do everything. Pass, dribble, run in behind, shoot - the lot. A young Rooney would be nice.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's if Ole wants to play a 433, but he's been playing a 4231 for the majority of the season.

If he sticks with a 4231, then in the games where we dominate, Pogba should continue to play as an 8. Just look at some of the passing he showed from deep in the 20 minutes he was on today. His long range passing is ridiculous.

At the 10 position, we could do with someone who's short game is good. Someone who is good in tight spaces and has the vision to unlock defences.

Eriksen is creative, but he's just a passer of the ball. I feel we need more than that. An all round 10 that can do everything. Pass, dribble, run in behind, shoot - the lot. A young Rooney would be nice.
433 is our best system I think. Suits what we have most, and suits our best player most, so provided he wants to stay here, I think a 433 is the best role. At least in that formation, we definitely have one player good enough in his strongest role. In a 4231, we arguably have no current midfielder good enough in any of those roles, given that Pogba isn’t an ideal 10 or double pivot player, and Fred and McTominay are not really top class players.

A new class 8 would consolidate what we have, and Fred and Scott could manage the 6 between them I think, until we can upgrade that role too.

Rocknrolla69er

Glaring lack of a player who can dictate possession and also another one who can create chances repeatedly.

Wait for the statements the market is too hard at the moment, or were waiting for the right players to come along

Seriously who statistically in Europe world football are the biggest creators of chances per game

Walters_19_MuFc

433 is our best system I think. Suits what we have most, and suits our best player most, so provided he wants to stay here, I think a 433 is the best role. At least in that formation, we definitely have one player good enough in his strongest role. In a 4231, we arguably have no current midfielder good enough in any of those roles, given that Pogba isn’t an ideal 10 or double pivot player, and Fred and McTominay are not really top class players.

A new class 8 would consolidate what we have, and Fred and Scott could manage the 6 between them I think, until we can upgrade that role too.
I tend to agree, but we're not the managers, and as I said, Ole has stuck to a 4231 for most of the season. Even when Pogba was fit at the start of the season, he played him in a double pivot, which I feel he can play and does so well for France and in his first seaosn for United. Where he struggles is having the quality ahead of him like he does for France.

If we can get a top class number 10, then Pogba will shine in the box to box 8 role, in my opinion, especially against teams we dominate against.

Martial
Rashford - Number 10 - Right Winger
Fred/McT - Pogba
Then in the bigger games, we can possibly move Pogba into the 10 role and put a more defence minded player deeper.

Martial
Rashford Pogba Right Winger
Fred McT​

Walters_19_MuFc

Glaring lack of a player who can dictate possession and also another one who can create chances repeatedly.

Wait for the statements the market is too hard at the moment, or were waiting for the right players to come along

Seriously who statistically in Europe world football are the biggest creators of chances per game
At number 10 or furthest of a three.

Payet - 4.3 - 3 assists
De Bruyne - 4.1 - 10 assists
Luis Alberto - 3.1 - 11 assists
Odegaard - 2.8 - 5 assists
Buendia - 2.8 - 5 assists
Grealish - 2.8 - 4 assists
Maddison - 2.6 - 3 assists

https://www.whoscored.com/Statistics

BlueHaze

I tend to agree, but we're not the managers, and as I said, Ole has stuck to a 4231 for most of the season. Even when Pogba was fit at the start of the season, he played him in a double pivot, which I feel he can play and does so well for France and in his first seaosn for United. Where he struggles is having the quality ahead of him like he does for France.

If we can get a top class number 10, then Pogba will shine in the box to box 8 role, in my opinion, especially against teams we dominate against.

Martial
Fred/McT - Pogba
Then in the bigger games, we can possibly move Pogba into the 10 role and put a more defence minded player deeper.

Martial
Fred McT​
Midfield of Fred and Scott will never be good enough. I agree with getting in a 10 and a RW 100% but with Martial as the 9 we won't win anything let alone challenge for 4th. The lads never scored more than 11 league goals and is incredibly inconsistent so I would add a 9 too and even a CM as well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Martial
Fred/McT - Pogba

Martial
Fred McT​
I don’t think we will be benching this top class 10 for the bigger games, not will he want to accept that.

Rocknrolla69er

At number 10 or furthest of a three.

Payet - 4.3 - 3 assists
De Bruyne - 4.1 - 10 assists
Luis Alberto - 3.1 - 11 assists
Odegaard - 2.8 - 5 assists
Buendia - 2.8 - 5 assists
Grealish - 2.8 - 4 assists
Maddison - 2.6 - 3 assists

https://www.whoscored.com/Statistics
certainly for competition and depth for the right wing position, Buendia would be an interesting one, he's a good age, plays in a good attacking system, obviously creates a lot of chances in the premiership, what's not too like. I'd wonder what he's valued at.

Grealish is another interesting one, seems to have the swagger and X factor you'd associate with a pre Woodward United signing, I wonder what his best position is, certainly posting good creative stats, could he take over Pogbas role as the new poster boy of United. Does he have good team ethic and desire.

I don't think both would be bad signings at all, they'd certainly up our creativity and depth in a big way, still think we d need a midfielder who can keep possession or could Grealish be that player as well as carry on creating,

What would people make of signing the following
Grealish
Buendia
Phillips

luke511

Yes, seriously. It's not as if we have been good in 4231 or if it gives us any sort of balance on paper. The beauty of not having a competent first eleven is that we don't have to limit our options to certain roles for the sake of it. Also the fact that we changed our system several times in order to match an opponent or today with the inclusion of Pogba shows that we don't have to simply look at a 10 as if it was the only alternative.
We need a player that replaces Lingard, Mata and Pereira in one swoop, no matter what formation we decide to play. It could be a no.10, it could be a CAM, it doesn't matter, we just desperately need one. The downfall of the 4231 has been the no.10 more times than not, against teams that sit back and don't give you any time on the ball. If we had a very talented no.10 in the middle of our attack in games like today we'd have a lot better luck.

Xaviboy

Watching Pogba play 25 mins today and with his range of passing and creativity we really could do with someone else in there with him. 2 quality passes over the top today for Rashford and Greenwood. No one else can do that. I would like to see Ericksen come in as I think he could do the same. Games like today showed how bad we are against teams that have some shape and our organised defensivley, we struggle big time. I think for what's available in January we should try our luck and get Ericksen in.

Josep Dowling

Martial
Fred/McT - Pogba

Martial
Fred McT​
I don’t like Pogba in the midfield two. I just think he doesn’t do his defensive duties which exposes our defence. I think he needs the protection of two players behind him.

There are quite a few examples where he’s lost the ball in midfield and the opposite countered and scored. It happened with Palace this season. At least McSauce and Fred would be behind him.

If Pogba wants to stay I believe we should be looking for a holding midfielder to the ilk of Matic but has actually got legs. I would love Allan from Napoli.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A 10 is a silly idea. And McTominay needs to be improved upon too tbh. Saul would be perfect.
If Pogba is staying then we must go 4-3-3. It was the same systen that got Ole the job in the the first place.

Pogba as the advanced creative player. Saul or Soumare as the box to box #8. And a #6 who covers ground/wins the ball and can distribute to a good level. That to me would be the way forward and would provide the balance/quality in midfield.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If Pogba is staying then we must go 4-3-3. It was the same systen that got Ole the job in the the first place.

Pogba as the advanced creative player. Saul or Soumare as the box to box #8. And a #6 who covers ground/wins the ball and can distribute to a good level. That to me would be the way forward and would provide the balance/quality in midfield.
Indeed. I am conscious we need to manage our budget. I’d get Saul if there is a chance. If we can pick up Longstaff Snr for a sensible price rather than the nonsense we were quoted in the summer, I’d get him in too, which would be a cheaper option. Has energy and can pass a ball long and short.

jamesjimmybyrondean

So we get an attacking midfielder and then limit Pogba's ability by playing him as a DM? We already have one of the best advanced midfielders in the world and his agent is right, we need to support him. A DM should be priority at this point. A deep lying playmaker to be specific.

Go back to 4-3-3 with Pogba in his favorite free role on the left Mcctominay/Fred as the ball winning CM on the right and a deep lying playmaker to support Pogba creatively

POF

There was no change in system when Ole brought on Mata. United changed to 4-3-3 when Pogba came on. Fred deep, McTominay right, Pogba left.

Mata replaced McTominay on the right of the 3 when he came on.

Pogba isn't good as a 10 and the whole midfield formation changed to accommodate him. Unfortunately, neither Fred nor McTominay are good in a more advanced midfield position.

Ole will struggle to get them into a functioning 3-man midfield.

Rocknrolla69er

Reading a few of the posts since mine last night, say Pogba does decide he wants to stay then great play him as the attacking midfield can't deny he creates and scores, I'd say we need an alternative for when he has dips in form, Injurys etc. I still think signing Grealish to provide that depth would be a clever move, as well as the other two mentioned Buendia and Phillips for right wing depth and base of midfield depth too.

..................martial
Rashford...Pogba..James
..........Phillips..Mctom......

makes a lot of sense to me