No.10/CAM signing in the January window

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Doesn't Ole seem to favour hard working / pressing no.10's like Lingard / Pereira?
We wouldn’t know. One would hope to think that Lingard and Pereira are playing in his team out of necessity rather than design.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We wouldn’t know. One would hope to think that Lingard and Pereira are playing in his team out of necessity rather than design.
They are.

Even he can see that Lingard and Pereira don’t do anything particularly well. DM ;no chance. Press; no chance. Creativity ...I think we all get it now

Devil may care

Signng a #10 or the big Norwegian kid is all well and good but we really need CM's to compete/rotate with Fred and McTominay as they both looked tired to me yesterday and Matic and Pereria are not good enough to help out.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Has to be grealish because he can play both positions CM & CAM right?

Suvvernmanc

Has to be grealish because he can play both positions CM & CAM right?
With rumours this week claiming Villa need to sell to cover a potential ffp hit, getting Grealish or McGinn could be doable.

Both are different players though, with grealish having the higher ceiling of potential imo and as you said, can play a couple of positions. But would cost £70m I reckon. !

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
With rumours this week claiming Villa need to sell to cover a potential ffp hit, getting Grealish or McGinn could be doable.

Both are different players though, with grealish having the higher ceiling of potential imo and as you said, can play a couple of positions. But would cost £70m I reckon. !
The one thing that worries me though is -
I don't think Pogba will go & I want him to stay but - I also see that Pogba, Greilish and potentially even Fred being slightly better in that LCM position when they play their with some talking about their preference too.

We lack squad depth and quality so I want Grealish here but I still think we need a RCM to make that even out and give Mctomminay time to learn his game at his pace.

I really don't like the ideas of Can & ex Liverpool rejects. I'd say get Grealish for the CAM/CM role & get a DLP type player who can dictate tempo from a RCM role - we should be balanced from there.

Maddison seems like a player we go for when we are at the top like City and can rotate 3 top players in every position.

Suvvernmanc

The one thing that worries me though is -
I don't think Pogba will go & I want him to stay but - I also see that Pogba, Greilish and potentially even Fred being slightly better in that LCM position when they play their with some talking about their preference too.

We lack squad depth and quality so I want Grealish here but I still think we need a RCM to make that even out and give Mctomminay time to learn his game at his pace.

I really don't like the ideas of Can & ex Liverpool rejects. I'd say get Grealish for the CAM/CM role & get a DLP type player who can dictate tempo from a RCM role - we should be balanced from there.

Maddison seems like a player we go for when we are at the top like City and can rotate 3 top players in every position.
If we're to play with a #10 then Grealish and Pogba can still play together all though it would have to be against a team that would sit back. Pogba has proven with France that he can play in 2 man midfield. So a midfield like this could work.

Grealish
Pogba---Fred

Or

Pogba Mctominay Fred

We absolutely dont have the squad depth or quality to compete. Grealish, Pogba, Mctominay, Fred plus a more 'all rounder' type midfielder would be best. Matic and Andreas just aren't good enough. They will need replacing.

United Pro

Grealish has a £45m release clause according to the Times article below:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ause-in-jack-grealishs-new-contract-9h2zbxcqm

Getting him for that price would be solid business. Although, I suspect Grealist wouldn't want to leave mid-season given that Villa are currently fighting relegation.

Suvvernmanc

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ause-in-jack-grealishs-new-contract-9h2zbxcqm

Getting him for that price would be solid business. Although, I suspect Grealist wouldn't want to leave mid-season given that Villa are currently fighting relegation.
He would get some stick leaving mid season but it does happen with fan favourites, Mahrez comes to mind. He is ambitions so he might not be fussed what the villa fans think?.

If there is a ffp situation like some reports have said, the villa owners might be forced to sell. I've not looked into that too much so i cant say for sure when the books have to be balanced by but it could mean a fairly easy transaction. If not in january then the summer.

Lynty

We are signing one player max in Jan. It'll be Haaland.

Move on and dry your eyes.

crossy1686

career ending
I can't handle seeing Lingard start again for this club. Seriously, break the bank for any decent number 10 out there, money should be no object. Send him and his clothing line on loan to Sunderland.

dev1l

Agreed. Even if he wants to leave Villa, he won't leave in the middle of the season .
It also doesn't make sense for Villa to sell him now because it would make relegation more possible for them (relegation mat also mean more financial problems)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need an all-round CM with defensive and offensive competence. But a high level one, like really top one. I really think we missed a trick with Barella in the summer. He would have been the perfect all-round CM.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't think we really need a #10 signing. We have Pogba. What I would like to see with him is to be in a free role. If we sign a #10 we will see Pogba back in the 6/8. I don't want him to be holding or box to box. I would like his position to be undefined. Let him rome as long as there are two midfielders behind him (Fred and McTominay). So if Pogba wants to drop deep, he can drop deep. If he wants to drift wide, he can drift wide. If he wants to make a run, he can make a run. Take him off his shackles and build the team around him. So with that being said, I would rather see us sign a midfielder who can rotate in with Fred and McTominay. And if the summer comes and Pogba still wants to go, then we sign a #10. But the most important thing for me right now (besides a midfielder) is signing a striker to challenge Martial. Hallaand would top my Christmas wish list...

luke511

I don't think we really need a #10 signing. We have Pogba. What I would like to see with him is to be in a free role. If we sign a #10 we will see Pogba back in the 6/8. I don't want him to be holding or box to box. I would like his position to be undefined. Let him rome as long as there are two midfielders behind him (Fred and McTominay). So if Pogba wants to drop deep, he can drop deep. If he wants to drift wide, he can drift wide. If he wants to make a run, he can make a run. Take him off his shackles and build the team around him. So with that being said, I would rather see us sign a midfielder who can rotate in with Fred and McTominay. And if the summer comes and Pogba still wants to go, then we sign a #10. But the most important thing for me right now (besides a midfielder) is signing a striker to challenge Martial. Hallaand would top my Christmas wish list...
We need a new player in the squad who's best position is CAM/no.10, to replace the dross we've had playing there all season. Pogba can do a job there but that's not his most natural position historically, and when thinking long term having a back up plan to a Pogba-less United is essential. Bruno Fernandes is my most preferred option as he can play equally as good as an 8, and is good at pressing on top of his attacking qualities.

Last edited:

Tarrou

Why do we want a number 10? I don't think that we need one and I don't think that its perfect for McTominay and Pogba, a deep lying playmaker seems to be the most obvious option.
I agree with this

Though I wouldn't mind another option in the 10/wide player mould in an ideal world. If I had to chose one player to add to the midfield it would be a deep lying playmaker.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We need a new player in the squad who's best position is CAM/no.10, to replace the dross we've had playing there all season. Pogba can do a job there but that's not his most natural position historically, and when thinking long term having a back up plan to a Pogba-less United is essential. Bruno Fernandes is my most preferred option as he can play equally as good as an 8, and is good at pressing on top of his attacking qualities.
Did you even read my post or just the first line??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wing Attack Plan R

It all seems really obvious. We all pretty much agree: when you have a fit and firing Pogba, you play him in his best position. If we have squared the circle here, how come they can't seem to figure it out? It's mind boggling to see the repeated square pegs into round holes approach.

It's pointless to assign DM duties to Pogba, and I don't know why anyone would even try, but every time he is played in a midfield two or double pivot or however you want to describe it, it's like putting a ball and chain on him. Those two passes against Watford where he found Greenwood or Martial with like a 40 yard lofted ball - those were proof of how far above the other players he is.

I would say keep McTominay while moving on Fred, Pereira, Lingard, Matic, Mata (who I will always love), making Sanchez's move permanent, and moving heaven and earth to bring in the 2 or 3 players who will form a perfect partnership with Pogba.

And they need to do it in January.

sherrinford

It all seems really obvious. We all pretty much agree: when you have a fit and firing Pogba, you play him in his best position. If we have squared the circle here, how come they can't seem to figure it out? It's mind boggling to see the repeated square pegs into round holes approach.

It's pointless to assign DM duties to Pogba, and I don't know why anyone would even try, but every time he is played in a midfield two or double pivot or however you want to describe it, it's like putting a ball and chain on him. Those two passes against Watford where he found Greenwood or Martial with like a 40 yard lofted ball - those were proof of how far above the other players he is.

I would say keep McTominay while moving on Fred, Pereira, Lingard, Matic, Mata (who I will always love), making Sanchez's move permanent, and moving heaven and earth to bring in the 2 or 3 players who will form a perfect partnership with Pogba.

And they need to do it in January.
You insist Pogba can’t be played deeper in midfield, then provide his exemplary play from deep in midfield as evidence of how brainless it is. Strange...

poleglass red

United Pro

He would get some stick leaving mid season but it does happen with fan favourites, Mahrez comes to mind. He is ambitions so he might not be fussed what the villa fans think?.

If there is a ffp situation like some reports have said, the villa owners might be forced to sell. I've not looked into that too much so i cant say for sure when the books have to be balanced by but it could mean a fairly easy transaction. If not in january then the summer.
Yeah I think the potential FFP situation is the only real way Villa can justify selling their captain mid-season. I'm not sure about the validity of the situation though. I just can't see Grealish leaving in January otherwise.

Walters_19_MuFc

I don’t think we will be benching this top class 10 for the bigger games, not will he want to accept that.
True. Forget a right winger then!

Get Ziyech as our number 10, with James, Rashford and Greenwood as our winger options.

In big games, take James out, put Ziyech on the right and Pogba as part as a midfield three.

Defensive Sides

Martial/New Striker
Rashford Ziyech James/Greenwood
Fred/McT Pogba
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan-Bissaka
De Gea

Big Games

Martial/New Striker
Rashford Pogba Ziyech
Fred McTominay
De Gea​

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Solskjaer gave us a total of 8 minutes to see what Pogba looks like in that position before bringing Mata on. We played our best football in those 8 minutes, genius tactics.
Next time he’ll be there for 15 minutes, then 30, then a whole half. He’ll use that as a measure of progression. Genius 5-d chess level management.

For real though I really hope we keep Pogba in the 10 position. Mata should be his backup if need be.

luke511

Did you even read my post or just the first line??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
No I read all of it. My point is, as good as Pogba can be for us, it makes a lot of sense to be able to piece together a well balanced team that doesn't include Pogba.

Skåre Willoch

True. Forget a right winger then!

Get Ziyech as our number 10, with James, Rashford and Greenwood as our winger options.

In big games, take James out, put Ziyech on the right and Pogba as part as a midfield three.

Defensive Sides

Martial/New Striker
Rashford Ziyech James/Greenwood
Fred/McT Pogba
De Gea

Big Games

Martial/New Striker
Rashford Pogba Ziyech
Fred McTominay
De Gea​
I like this one a lot. It works just as well if you swap Ziyech for Grealish. Bit would be great january additions.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No I read all of it. My point is, as good as Pogba can be for us, it makes a lot of sense to be able to piece together a well balanced team that doesn't include Pogba.
Of course....which is why I question whether or not you read my post. Because if you did, I clearly said that if he wants to leave then we look for a #10 in the summer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rocknrolla69er

Pogbas best position is where Lingaard has been playing, with Madrid ruling out going for him in January why would you waste your recruitment time in a limited window that's notoriously difficult trying to sign a player for this role, surely you have to concentrate on adding players who are an upgrade on Peirera and Fred to add depth and forward passing ability. Grealish ticks all the boxes as well as being able to play further forward once Pogbas gone. Question is is it doable in January I don't think it is........

luke511

Of course....which is why I question whether or not you read my post. Because if you did, I clearly said that if he wants to leave then we look for a #10 in the summer :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your statement "And if the summer comes and Pogba still wants to go, then we sign a #10", I disagree with that and my replies answer why but you've missed the point twice. We need someone that replaces Lingard, Mata and Pereira in the squad as soon as possible, with or without Pogba.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Your statement "And if the summer comes and Pogba still wants to go, then we sign a #10", I disagree with that and my replies answer why but you've missed the point twice. We need someone that replaces Lingard, Mata and Pereira in the squad as soon as possible, with or without Pogba.
I completely agree that we shouldn't be starting any of those 3. That's where Pogba should be. With McTominay and Fred behind him. If we sign a #10 now then that puts Pogba back to the #6/8 position. I don't want him having that much defensive responsibility, because as we have seen over and over again, he doesn't put in the effort that is needed in that position. I want him to have a free role. A role in which he is free to express himself. So if he wants to drop deep, he can drop deep. If he wants to play off the striker, he can play off the striker. In this formation, Periera, Mata and Lingard don't see the field. However, it also means that McTominay and Fred need to start every match because there are no other options for their position other than Matic who is done or Garner who isn't ready yet. So I would rather see us line up like this, and bring in another #6/8 to give rotation in our midfield

-----------------------------------Romero (sorry De Gea)-------------------------------------
AWB----------------Lindeloff-----------Maguire---------------------------Shaw
--------------------------McTominay-----------Fred------------------------------
James--------------------------------Pogba-------------------------Rashford
-----------------------------------------Martial--------------------------------------

I would also like to see a striker brought in to challenge Martial. As stated, Hallaand would be top of my Christmas wish list and would most likely become our starting striker almost right away...

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Watched Grealish today and he really does standout, both technically and more importantly from a mentality standpoint.

We could definitely do worse, would much prefer him over an Ericksen, given where they are in their respective careers.

James Ward

Its sad times when people are saying we should move for Jack Grealish. He's decent but nowhere near a world beater. This is Manchester United. I thought we should be done buying mediocre players.

Seriously like. He would be a step up for Andrea in Lingard in fairness though who should be in the championship.

luke511

Slowly starting to look like Pogba's staying in that deeper role, with Pereira and Lingard getting time at CAM instead. New CAM signing is a must.

Suvvernmanc

Its sad times when people are saying we should move for Jack Grealish. He's decent but nowhere near a world beater. This is Manchester United. I thought we should be done buying mediocre players.

Seriously like. He would be a step up for Andrea in Lingard in fairness though who should be in the championship.
You obviously havent been watching Grealish. Hes been superb.

James Ward

You obviously havent been watching Grealish. Hes been superb.
He's no wear near a top player but better than Jesse and Andreas. Not good enough to be a regular starter. He's not world class. Any player we sign should be on par with City and Liverpool's players.

Not below them.

Suvvernmanc

He's no wear near a top player but better than Jesse and Andreas. Not good enough to be a regular starter. He's not world class. Any player we sign should be on par with City and Liverpool's players.

Not below them.
He is a top player. Not world class. No one would said he's world class. But to say he's a level above Lingard and Andreas is criminally under rating Grealish. He is playing to a level above or on par with Madison, Mount or Ali who are all top players in the same position.

He is a top number 8/10 who could play in an attacking setup at a top team. This is where Grealish is at the moment. There are only a few players in the PL who are above him at the moment. The Man city lot De Bruyne, D Silva, B Silva are better. But grealish is the next level down in my opinion and is on a course of progression. He could get even better. Thats why he should be a serious target for us.