No Beer!

JSParkgreat

Qatar stayed silent on beer in the stadiums until Sept - Said there would be beer at stadiums then changed their mind last minute. See fourth paragraph of the link below.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/18/football/qatar-world-cup-beer-stadium-spt-intl/index.html

A couple of mates waited until the announcement to spend a small fortune on their match tickets, hotel and flights. They’re getting lots of banter from me and other friends right now - but truth be told it’s obviously a pure bait and switch from the Qataris and pretty disappointing - I’m sure the Qataris knew attendance would be down if they announced this two years ago so they kept silent about for years then said there would beer and then reneged after they had everyone’s money.

They’re staying in Dubai and flying in and out of Doha for the games as there aren’t hotel rooms in Doha - so lots of people are flying and out from the UAE. The Qataris have un-mothballed an old airport to handle the day-trippers and set up lots of buses. Not sure I see the point of that as a fan but hopefully they have a good time anyway. Leaving all the other issues aside - One small city with a population of three? million people should never have been awarded the entire World Cup.

Last edited:

stw2022

Would have been a nothing issue if there are no other controversies with Qatar/FIFA.

Disagree I think it would have been much bigger as a standalone issue. Essentially FIFA and one of its biggest commercial sponsors have been lied to by the host country and it'll cost FIFA untold millions not only in relation to this deal but the fact it seriously undermines any future promises and terms it can offer future sponsors.

The value of sponsorship for future World Cups is undermined now it's established FIFA can't guarantee access/exposure along the lines that you've paid for.

The principle is that FIFA has been shown to be unable to guarantee agreed terms negotiated with sponsors will have far a reaching commercial impact than simply complaints about beer and that's why without all this human rights controversy, had this happened at any other World Cup, it would be a huge story.

Stactix

You've already made your mind up before the tournament has even begun?
Possibly due to uturns days before even If I agree with the decision. The fact that 220 billion has apparently been spent on this & the fan zone infrastructure is actually quite dangerous.

'Need a wristband to get water, where do you get wristbands? nearest shop is an hour away.. while sleeping in a tent/portacabin for £200 a night.'

Fans will be uneasy, what rules will they change next? Proven in the last weeks they're as reliable as Boris on a good day.

Chief123

I’m surprised there hasn’t been an uproar at the fact there will be no Full English breakfast available in the stadiums.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Are you able to give me an example of what constitutes a 'normal' person?

I really don't think you should be a staff member for this site.
There are billions of regular everyday normal people in the world.

If you have a problem with me being a staff member or Qatar hosting the WC you can choose to boycott both or alternatively address your complaints to FIFA, the Qatar royal embassy or the Redcafe executive board.

Please forward your complaint @noodlehair in a private message who is in charge of the complaints procedure.

UpWithRivers

The irony of all this is if Qatar actually just adhered to their own beliefs about alcohol then there probably wouldn't even be a problem and in fact they could do good in the world. If they said right at the beginning when they bid for the World cup that it will be an alcohol free tournament and no advertising or alcohol would be permitted. That it would be the first family friendly tournament and that it believes sport should be a representation of health etc.

Taking this stance would probably gain respect and shed light on the destructive nature of the very thing they oppose. But no. They have to be arseholes about it. Lie when they bid. Take money from alcohol companies. Then change it at the last minute. On top of it the hypocrisy of we oppose alcohol but you can have it in certain places. Why? Either stick to your beliefs or don't. You can't just half stick to your beliefs.

Stactix

The irony of all this is if Qatar actually just adhered to their own beliefs about alcohol then there probably wouldn't even be a problem and in fact they could do good in the world. If they said right at the beginning when they bid for the World cup that it will be an alcohol free tournament and no advertising or alcohol would be permitted. That it would be the first family friendly tournament and that it believes sport should be a representation of health etc.

Taking this stance would probably gain respect and shed light on the destructive nature of the very thing they oppose. But no. They have to be arseholes about it. Lie when they bid. Take money from alcohol companies. Then change it at the last minute. On top of it the hypocrisy of we oppose alcohol but you can have it in certain places. Why? Either stick to your beliefs or don't. You can't just half stick to your beliefs.
On top of all that, the rich feckers & Fifa w*nkers can still have it at the stadiums.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The irony of all this is if Quatar actually just adhered to their own beliefs about alcohol then there probably wouldn't even be a problem and in fact they could do good in the world. If they said right at the beginning when they bid for the World cup that it will be an alcohol free tournament and no advertising or alcohol would be permitted. That it would be the first family friendly tournament and that it believes sport should be a representation of health etc.

Either way Qatar can’t win, if they did what you said there would no doubt be criticism of how this is a World Cup which should cater to different countries customs. I think they hit the right balance of not allowing it in stadiums but in other places, obviously the way they have gone about it with the last minute u turn hasn’t been great.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It gets derailed because if you point out hypocrisy on one subject they don't have any legal or moral ground to stand on so they move to another and another. You start talking about beer and end up with but with they have rights to live in Quatar. Which is the only leg they have left to stand on
Mate, you’ve been one half of the most boring argument I’ve ever paid attention to. Perhaps don’t attempt a victory lap.

redcucumber

No alcohol in stadiums is fine. Its a family event during day for some. I bet the English cant handle that very well, but thats on the english. I enjoy going to stadiums without drunk people having tantrums
And where are you from that everyone is so pious? Some very odd comments from people about the English/the west at the moment.

UpWithRivers

Either way Qatar can’t win, if they did what you said there would no doubt be criticism of how this is a World Cup which should cater to different countries customs. I think they hit the right balance of not allowing it in stadiums but in other places, obviously the way they have gone about it with the last minute u turn hasn’t been great.
What lying? And as the poster said above it is allowed in stadiums - for the rich. Is your beliefs no alcohol. Or is it no alcohol unless you are rich or in a certain place? i.e. outside the stadium. Then its fine? Is lying acceptable but alcohol not?

And so what they would face criticism for not catering to different countries customs? Are your beliefs so fickle you change them to suit others? if the world cup was in Europe they wouldn't allow smoking weed because its allowed in some states in the US. They wouldn't allow beating women even if it was allowed elsewhere. They stick to their own beliefs, rule and law. Not allow it for vistors. Thats hypocrisy and shows you don't actually believe in it. Or you value cash more than your beliefs

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What lying? And as the poster said above it is allowed in stadiums - for the rich. Is your beliefs no alcohol. Or is it no alcohol unless you are rich or in a certain place? i.e. outside the stadium. Then its fine? Is lying acceptable but alcohol not?

And so what they would face criticism for not catering to different countries customs? Are your beliefs so fickle you change them to suit others? if the world cup was in Europe they wouldn't allow smoking weed because its allowed in some states in the US. They wouldn't allow beating women even if it was allowed elsewhere. They stick to their own beliefs, rule and law. Not allow it for vistors. Thats hypocrisy and shows you don't actually believe in it. Or you value cash more than your beliefs
I’m not from Qatar mate :lol: not sure why you are wound up about it, I believe in catering for all visitors in a multicultural event.

redcucumber

I’m surprised there hasn’t been an uproar at the fact there will be no Full English breakfast available in the stadiums.
Jesus Christ, if you still aren't getting the fact that this last minute bait and switch is inherently wrong and anti consumer then it's a bit concerning.

UpWithRivers

I’m not from Qatar mate :lol: not sure why you are wound up about it, I believe in catering for all visitors in a multicultural event.
I believe that if you have beliefs then you should stick by them. Multicultural events dont exist. If you go to a Western country event you adhere to their rules. They don't change their beliefs, rules and values for other countries that don't hold those same beliefs, rules and values.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I believe that if you have beliefs then you should stick by them. Multicultural events dont exist. If you go to a Western country event you adhere to their rules. They don't change their beliefs for other countries that don't hold those same beliefs.
No one is asking anyone to change their laws, beliefs etc. For a short event where fans accross the world will be congregating there is no harm in relaxing a few things to make it a better experience.

Sultan

I just don't think the WC should have been held in Qatar for many reasons.

One of course is the compromise of the host countries' religious beliefs on alcohol. You cannot simultaneously retain possession of your convictions and when it suits you make compromises. You stay true to your convictions. You can't have it both ways in the world or it's called hypocrisy or appeasement.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I just don't think the WC should have been held in Qatar for many reasons.

One of course is the compromise of the host countries' religious beliefs on alcohol. You cannot simultaneously retain possession of your convictions and when it suits you make compromises. You stay true to your convictions. You can't have it both ways in the world or it's called hypocrisy or appeasement.
Thing is Qatar has never outright banned alcohol, like their neighbours in the UAE it has been available at certain places .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
On top of it the hypocrisy of we oppose alcohol but you can have it in certain places. Why? Either stick to your beliefs or don't. You can't just half stick to your beliefs.
I was explaining this to a friend the other day as it hadn't dawned on him and he was going on about the irony that "expensive sportswashing was turning into PR disaster"

They don't care.

They couldn't care less what YOU think.

They live in contempt of you and any regular folk, particularly the vociferous type.

All they care about is access and acceptance or, more to the point, reducing the faux part of faux acceptance by the rich/famous/powerful of the Western world.

Everything else is white noise, so they get beer and you don't, simple.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Thing is Qatar has never outright banned alcohol, like their neighbours in the UAE it has been available at certain places .
Yea I'm surprised people think alcohol is banned in these middle eastern countries given how many rich expats live there. I think you're only not allowed to drink in public but can drink in restaurants and at home (not sure if it's only for non-muslims though).

Sultan

I'm talking religiously. If you profess to be a practising ruler of a Muslim country and go by its pure teachings of your faith then alcohol is not permissible in any form (drinking or selling). Basically, what I'm saying it is appeasement for profit or compromise. Basically, it's like adding alcohol to the menu in a restaurant or a shop due for the likelihood of attracting more customers.

If you believe something to be injurious or bad then to profit from such is also wrong.

Sultan

All they care about is access and acceptance or, more to the point, reducing the faux part of faux acceptance by the rich/famous/powerful of the Western world.
Brilliantly said. Absolutely this!

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I'm talking religiously. If you profess to be a practising ruler of a Muslim country and go by its pure teachings of your faith then alcohol is not permissible in any form (drinking or selling). Basically, what I'm saying it is appeasement for profit or compromise. Basically, it's like adding alcohol to the menu in a restaurant or a shop due to the likelihood of attracting more customers.

If you believe something to be injurious or bad then to profit from such is also wrong.
As always it's one rule for general people and one for the elite/ruling class.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
i think qatar has made a rod for its own back. without booze the fans will be forced to sit and talk about their feelings. this will awaken something in a fair few of them, turning a lot of the fan villages into gay orgies.

Sultan

As always it one rule for general people and one for the elite/ruling class.
I would think the thought process from the decision makers of banning alcohol on the terraces and letting the elite have their champagne in corporate boxes would be along the lines of "We can handle alcohol and behave. The plebs are a different breed that will cause trouble when drunk".

UpWithRivers

I was explaining this to a friend the other day as it hadn't dawned on him and he was going on about the irony that "expensive sportswashing was turning into PR disaster"

They don't care.

They couldn't care less what YOU think.

They live in contempt of you and any regular folk, particularly the vociferous type.

Everything else is white noise, so they get beer and you don't, simple.
Oh I get it. The sad thing is the people fighting to support them while they are laughing, enjoying their beers and fking over the very people who are supporting them.

Sultan

i think qatar has made a rod for its own back. without booze the fans will be forced to sit and talk about their feelings. this will awaken something in a fair few of them, turning a lot of the fan villages into gay orgies.
:lol:

tomaldinho1

Really wouldn’t be an issue if they’d just said this from the off AND weren’t letting the richer people drink in the stadiums. Very double standards.