No chance of top 4 after incompetently handled transfer window ft 1000000% more tears and drama

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Agreed.

A real mixed bag of a window. Really happy we went ahead and got 2 long standing positions sorted and after a long time, there seems to be some method to the madness. The United of previous years would have panic bought Dybala who didn't want to be here for insane wages for instance. As you said, we have a structure to the team now and I think we'll get additions to the forward line and CM next summer. Can't help but be bitterly dissappointed that we didn't fix the obvious holes in CM and attack but I'm excited for what the season holds.
I have been bitter about it too but even though I believe that we overpaid for both Wan Bissaka and Maguire, I genuinely like both players and even if we offered what they were worth we wouldn't have signed them and the extra money available wouldn't have been enough to purchase very good long term players.

My disappointment is with the lack of loans, if they were interested James, Bale or even matuidi would have been interesting loans.

joedirt87

Agree about the domestic cups, but I think we need to give the Europa League a good go - it’s our back door into UCL next season.

First two games will start to define our season though. Two very good tests.
Don’t even care if we make it past the group stage. If we do it should be on the back of rotational players and youngsters. Ole wants a fitter, harder working team, and I think the best way to do that this season is to focus on the prem only. Early in the season yeah it’s doable but then the December/Jan fixture pile up happens and if we make it past the group stage it’s those awful thurs/fri night games with only a day or two of rest in between.

Womp

idiot
He went to Inter cause Ole doesnt fancy him. Lets not make things up.
He would have got more than enough game time throughout the season. We have two inexperienced strikers as our options, which is why we were in panic mode trying to get an experienced striker over the line towards the end of the window.

He's also fecking rubbish, so fair point.

Nori-

Don't forget we had an awful first few months last season when the players practically stopped playing for Jose. That alone cost us at least 10 points, plus we've made big changes to our defense this year, which could claw back another maybe 10-15 points. Going by that we should comfortably get into the top 4 this year

Actually challenging for the title is unrealistic I think. If the club went in hard this summer there might have been a chance, but at 5pm today it was confirmed that wont be happening.

TheReligion

Abusive
Dybala told us to effectively get fecked, not reducing his wages, Eriksen told us to get fecked because he's holding out hope for a club that doesn't even seem interested in him. Pogba is telling us to get fecked and looking to move, going as far as speaking publicly, getting his agent to do so and getting Zlatan to as well.

As shite as Lukaku is, he saw Inter as a more appealing prospect. This is one this window alone. A window where we supposedly weren't even pursuing top targets.
Lukaku has left cause the club wanted rid!

Spurs couldn't agree with Dybala nor could we. Eriksen wants a new challenge overseas and won't stay in England. Pogba said maybe it's time for a new challenge but had done nothing to push for a move.

Let's not make things up.

Lack of CL has made us less appealing but you're being far too dramatic and making things up which aren't even accurate!

I'd rather players that really want to be here anyway and by all accounts so would the club. Our new signings fit the bill and will bleed red. Shame that can't be said about some of our fans eh...

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I know everyone is saying it but it’s true Woodward is beyond incompetent. Club is going to the dogs under him.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Ole on July 16 before the Maguire signing and after the Wan Bassaka capture: "We are still looking at one or two options, yeah, but it depends on outgoings as well. It might be more, because suddenly, if two or three go, then you have to replace players."

Quite clear. So what happened?

Lukaku, Herrera gone. Not replaced.
Did two or three go? Is Lukaku now the equivalent of 2 or 3 players now?

Ban

He would have got more than enough game time throughout the season. We have two inexperienced strikers as our options, which is why we were in panic mode trying to get an experienced striker over the line towards the end of the window.

He's also fecking rubbish, so fair point.
He didnt want to fight for the spot and looked for an easy way out.

MrSingh2002

Give over, Fellaini was useless and offered nothing, Lukaku wastes more than he puts away and ruins most quick attacks that goes through him and Herrera, as much as I’d rather we kept him, let’s not pretend he did anything more than block and tackle.
Let's see how the season goes.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I have realized that the best thing for my own mental health is to just believe that we are the 6th best team and that is pretty much the club's ambition. Anything above that is a great season but if we finish 6th then everyone at the club will be satisfied and we should be the same

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I hate to be this pessimistic and think like this, but we've got a hard start to the season. Imagine we have a terrible start to the season, how bad is it going to be! Imagine continuing the form from the end of last season...it makes me scared because i don't know where the answers may lie anymore or who we can turn to. Where's the leadership? The inspiration? The guy that grabs us vital goals when our backs against the wall?

It's so important that we get behind the team this season and try to keep confidence and belief up because I'm worried how far we'll sink if the shit hits the fan.

Ranchero

I disagree with “incompetently handled”. I don’t think it’s incompetence as such. I’d say it’s probable that we’ve done a decent job in the window given the resources allowed to the football side of the business. The defense is strengthened and the manager seems to at least have a plan for the type of players he wanted for the type of football he wants to play.

However I think you have to come to the conclusion that the real aim of Manchester United now isn’t to be as successful as possible at football. We’re not a sporting club aimed at sporting success anymore. We’re a business whose main aim is to make money for the owners. Challenging for top four seems to be enough to keep the money rolling in. Long term even that strategy will probably run its course but it’s working for them at the moment. It’s disgraceful but there you go.
It was incompetently handle in many ways. To name a few... we try to sign a replacement (Moussa Dembele) for Lukaku the day before he leaves and then get trolled by the Lyon chief for doing so. Then there was the briefing on Eriksen interest that quickly became no interest. And we don't have any issues with quality in midfield?

We have Ole saying:"We are still looking at one or two options, yeah, but it depends on outgoings as well. It might be more, because suddenly, if two or three go, then you have to replace players."

You have to replace players.

And we don't replace players. Herrera replaced by ...? Lukaku replaced by...? Fellaini in the last window replace by? Nobody.

We got Wan Bassaka and Maguire in. But we dithered on Maguire so much and ended up paying what they wanted anyway, almost leaving it open for City to pinch him from us. Is he worth it? No. We could have got Diop from West Ham cheaper, but that is a moot point.

As for Lukaku we were adamant we wanted £80m and ended up caving in to Inter on transfer window day (unlike Inter over Perisic last season who quibbled over a few mill).

He joined United from Everton for £75m plus £15m in add-ons in July 2017. We sold him for £74m - £6m short of what we wanted.

Womp

idiot
Lukaku has left cause the club wanted rid!

Spurs couldn't agree with Dybala nor could we. Eriksen wants a new challenge overseas and won't stay in England. Pogba said maybe it's time for a new challenge but had done nothing to push for a move.

Let's not make things up.

Lack of CL has made us less appealing but you're being far too dramatic and making things up which aren't even accurate!

I'd rather players that really want to be here anyway and by all accounts so would the club. Our new signings fit the bill and will bleed red. Shame that can't be said about some of our fans eh...
As I said above - Lukaku would have got more than enough game time. Why else would we have been desperately searching for an experienced striker with his qualities to replace him so late in the window?

The fact that you're even comparing us to Spurs shows how far we have fallen. Spurs had less time, Spurs have less money, Spurs have less history and going by reports, he was far more inclined to join them then he was to us. Eriksen may well want a new challenge, but that does nothing for your argument. The argument here is that these players don't want to play for us. Explaining why they don't want to play for us doesn't change that fact. I can almost guarantee had City been in for Eriksen, he wouldn't have the same reservations.

Pogba not pushing to leave doesn't change the fact that he's looking elsewhere. He got his agent and his fellow clients to come out and speak publicly about his desire to leave.

Also 'bleeding red' is fecking laughable, doesn't mean you have to cover your eyes to the shit show that is the management of this club. We got rid of two midfielders, one being arguably our second best and replaced them with no-one. We got rid of our only experienced striker and desperately tried to replace him in the last few days of the window. Maguire and AWB are great signings, but we are a Pogba and Mctominay injury/fatigue away from playing Fred/Pereira/Matic.

Whatever though, it's done now and nothing is going to change so it's a moot argument. Hopefully the kids get a chance and impress.

Ranchero

I hate to be this pessimistic and think like this, but we've got a hard start to the season. Imagine we have a terrible start to the season, how bad is it going to be! Imagine continuing the form from the end of last season...it makes me scared because i don't know where the answers may lie anymore or who we can turn to. Where's the leadership? The inspiration? The guy that grabs us vital goals when our backs against the wall?

It's so important that we get behind the team this season and try to keep confidence and belief up.
It is. We will all, well I will, put my fundamental concerns about our transfer policy, not just based on this window, and cheer the team on... but everyone will have all this in the back of their mind. It will always be there.

Lmarco

Well, next summer will be interesting because Matic will be out of contract (unless the bonus year is activated) and Pogba will just have one year left which could trigger a transfer. Basically, the midfield could need a complete revolution with just Fred, McTominay and Pereira left as "senior" players, surrounded by the likes of Gomes and Gartner. Selling Pogba for a high price could be vital for the midfield rebuilding. Then there will be much work with the hoped offloading of Sanchez still under contract untill 2022 for an estimated £450,000 a week package.

Darmian, Young, Fosuh Mensah and Bailly will be out of contract, with Rojo having just one year left. At least this could finally enable the club to clean up the defensive players with Dalot, Jones, Smalling and Tuanzebe as back up options. Maybe selling one defender to upgrade even more.

fps

Wan Bissaka and Maguire when assessed individually are very good signings. When you take into account the fact that an injury to Pogba is going to have us playing Pereira as our creative midfielder, it's not enough. If we had no fecking intention of strengthening the midfield and attack, why did we sell Herrera, Fellaini and Lukaku? Pogba and Mctominay will get injured/need to be rested throughout the season, which will result in Matic, Pereira and Fred. Gomes and Garner are far too young/lack the experience to be relied on consistently throughout the season, although I hope to be wrong.
Nah, Fred will be the creative midfielder.

Ranchero

Did two or three go? Is Lukaku now the equivalent of 2 or 3 players now?
His point was that if players go, you have to replace them. Herrera joined PSG 12 days before he said that. He had to be replaced. He was not. Fellaini was another non-replacement from the January window.

Ranchero

Well, next summer will be interesting because Matic will be out of contract (unless the bonus year is activated) and Pogba will just have one year left which could trigger a transfer. Basically, the midfield could need a complete revolution with just Fred, McTominay and Pereira left as "senior" players, surrounded by the likes of Gomes and Gartner. Selling Pogba for a high price could be vital for the midfield rebuilding. Then there will be much work with the hoped offloading of Sanchez still under contract untill 2022 for an estimated £450,000 a week package.

Darmian, Young, Fosuh Mensah and Bailly will be out of contract, with Rojo having just one year left. At least this could finally enable the club to clean up the defensive players with Dalot, Jones, Smalling and Tuanzebe as back up options. Maybe selling one defender to upgrade even more.
Pogba effectively has three years because we hold the option to trigger a further 12 month extension.

Womp

idiot

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see a fair few of them get extensions.

TheReligion

Abusive
As I said above - Lukaku would have got more than enough game time. Why else would we have been desperately searching for an experienced striker with his qualities to replace him so late in the window?

The fact that you're even comparing us to Spurs shows how far we have fallen. Spurs had less time, Spurs have less money, Spurs have less history and going by reports, he was far more inclined to join them then he was to us. Eriksen may well want a new challenge, but that does nothing for your argument. The argument here is that these players don't want to play for us. Explaining why they don't want to play for us doesn't change that fact. I can almost guarantee had City been in for Eriksen, he wouldn't have the same reservations.

Pogba not pushing to leave doesn't change the fact that he's looking elsewhere. He got his agent and his fellow clients to come out and speak publicly about his desire to leave.

Also 'bleeding red' is fecking laughable, doesn't mean you have to cover your eyes to the shit show that is the management of this club. We got rid of two midfielders, one being arguably our second best and replaced them with no-one. We got rid of our only experienced striker and desperately tried to replace him in the last few days of the window.

Whatever though, it's done now and nothing is going to change so it's a moot argument. Hopefully the kids get a chance and impress.
Lukaku doesn't fit how we are looking to play so he wouldn't get game time and wouldn't help build a different side. United didn't want him anymore so he's left. That's a fact.

I'm sorry but you're just making things up. No one could agree terms with Dybala. That's a fact. It's mostly to do with his image rights if you actually read up on it. Spurs had the same problem and couldn't over come it.

Eriksen doesn't want to stay in England. It's been reported he gave his word to Poch and Levy he'd not sign for another English club and wants to go to Spain. That fits in with his quotes. Not made up opinion of yours.

I have no issue accepting this has been an average window but I also feel it's the first building block of a squad transformation. It will take a few windows but I hope we stick with it. Let's not forget it took Klopp a while to build something and despite all of the money spent Pep's first season wasn't great.

We need to get a philosophy and stick with it. Yes we need more work but early signs are there we won't just buy for the sake of it and will only invest in a certain profile of player. My argument will come if we don't give youth a chance.

WensleyMU

I think we're favourites for 4th tbh. Chelsea are the worst of the top 6 imo, and Arsenal bought a lot, but nothing that makes you think they've sorted out their many many issues.

Obviously the done thing right now is to panic, the more hysterical the better. But if you stop for a moment, were better placed than last season and most importantly, the players are more positive.

Eric's Seagull

We'll make top 4 defiantly. We're one of the best defenses in the league and our attackers (Martial, Rashford, Pogba) are coming back from having their best league tallies last season. Now we have set pieces threat in Maguire too. I cannot see us not making top 4 seriously.
We are going to need them to improve significantly on their best tallies, as I think 10 goals each from Martial and Rashford is poor statistically. I expect them both get at least 15 in league each or we will be nowhere near good enough to get into to top 4.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
His stature and tackling ability make him a little more defensive. He has similarities to big Norman Whiteside, although Whiteside used to be more attacking. McTominay goes in fearlessly to win the ball and get the attack started, but we don't often realise his significance because there's little creativity in the rest of the midfield.

He has promise for sure and his energy levels make him more valuable for me than just sitting in front of the backline. Whatever reduces Matic game time works for me.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
His point was that if players go, you have to replace them. Herrera joined PSG 12 days before he said that. He had to be replaced. He was not. Fellaini was another non-replacement from the January window.
No by that point it was obvious that Lukaku was going, so he was saying if another one or two on top were to leave then we would need replacements. Hence he said two or three and didn’t go with “if anyone leaves, of course they’ll be replaced”

You’re full of shit, if you’re that sure that we’ll finish 7th behind fecking wolves, take this bet with me. If we finish above 7th you take a permanent ban and if we finish 7th of below I’ll take a permanent ban?
Why are you dodging this bet? You’re so confident we’re finishing 7th right? Take the bet and we’ll get a mod to make sure that the ban is enforced?

Womp

idiot
Lukaku doesn't fit how we are looking to play so he wouldn't get game time and wouldn't help build a different side. United didn't want him anymore so he's left. That's a fact.

I'm sorry but you're just making things up. No one could agree terms with Dybala. That's a fact. It's mostly to do with his image rights if you actually read up on it. Spurs had the same problem and couldn't over come it.

Eriksen doesn't want to stay in England. It's been reported he gave his word to Poch and Levy he'd not sign for another English club and wants to go to Spain. That fits in with his quotes. Not made up opinion of yours.

I have no issue accepting this has been an average window but I also feel it's the first building block of a squad transformation. It will take a few windows but I hope we stick with it. Let's not forget it took Klopp a while to build something and despite all of the money spent Pep's first season wasn't great.

We need to get a philosophy and stick with it. Yes we need more work but early signs are there we won't just buy for the sake of it and will only invest in a certain profile of player. My argument will come if we don't give youth a chance.
Lukaku doesn't fit what we were going for and wouldn't have got game time, yet we were desperately trying to replace him with strikers that possess similar qualities to him in Llorente, Mandzukic etc.

Dybala could have overcame his image rights if he reduced his wages. For someone who is so intent on using the media as his source, you're overlooking the fact that United briefed that we dropped interest because Dybala didn't want to join. You can't pick and choose what reports you want to use pal. How about other reports that despite Juventus telling him to get fecked, he was still desperate to stay at Juventus, even when we were the only team interested? Or other reports about how he wants to go to the big two in Spain or PSG? We aren't an attractive proposition for this calibre of player. Why would we be?

It's convenient you are only using the reports you want to, overlooking the rest.

There has been no direct quotes of Eriksen saying as such. As I also said, if City come in for him, he's gone.

I admire your positivity but I don't agree. This isn't the first building block of our squad transformation. This rebuild has been going on for like 7 years now mate.

I agree we need to stick to a philosophy. Do you honestly see it happening though? When Ole inevitably struggles and gets the sack and we start from square one again, with a manage who probably has a completely different identity, we go again.

Like I said though, I digress, this won't change anything and what's done is done. If the kids get a chance, I think we'll be okay as this is a very good crop of players coming up from the youth team. We'll see what happens.

Marrakesh

My main concern is where goals are going to come from this season. Martial and Marcus got 10 each last season, and were as inconsistent as feck. We haven't signed anyone who assists prolifically so I don't see what can possibly change to the level we need it to.

We looked great during that 2 month spell when Ole first took over, but there is no chance in hell that we'll maintain that for anything like a whole season. Our squad is thin as feck and when we inevitably lose 1,2+ players, playing that style/system, we just don't have the quality to step up, aside from (potentially) Gomes and Greenwood.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
The home support will have a massive role to play this year. If they get on the players and managers (and Boards) back when things inevitably start turning to diarrhea, a place somewhere between 6-10 is inevitable.

BlueHaze

£590m made in revenue last year and we only spend £70m net two seasons in a row. We were promised a rebuild and only bought 3 players with 2 of them being defenders. Our midfield and attack was in dire need of reinforcements and we let someone like Pepe go to Arsenal. I'm beyond giving a shit at this point. 5th, 6th, 7th hell if I care anymore.

Sing you a song

Last season we scored 30 lge goals less than the champions ( City )
The season before 38 goals less than the the champions ( City )
The season before that 34 goals less than the champions ( chelsea )
The season before that 19 goals less than the champions ( Leicester)

Our goalscoring record for years has been abysmal . I was never a fan of Lukaku and am glad to see the back of him but to sell him and not replace him is nothing short of disgraceful we have to make up for Lukaku’s goals as well as an average 25/30 goals a season general shortfall.
Martial and Rashford have never been prolific and it’s unfair to put expectations on a raw 17 year old to make the difference.
We only have one midfield player capable of 10 plus a season and that is Pogba and let’s face it he is hardly reliable.
For me the blame lies squarely at Woodward’s door, but it will inevitably be Ole who will pay the price .
Once again we start the season with one foot tied behind our backs .
We need to pray that Arsenal concede far more than us because they will definitely out score us .
Can’t put into words how disappointed I am with this window.

ash_86

We are going to need them to improve significantly on their best tallies, as I think 10 goals each from Martial and Rashford is poor statistically. I expect them both get at least 15 in league each or we will be nowhere near good enough to get into to top 4.
Yes , thats what i was going for. They can defiantly do it given the extra playing time.

Shiva87

Ole on July 16 before the Maguire signing and after the Wan Bassaka capture: "We are still looking at one or two options, yeah, but it depends on outgoings as well. It might be more, because suddenly, if two or three go, then you have to replace players."

Quite clear. So what happened?

Lukaku, Herrera gone. Not replaced.
Herrera was gone much before July 16. Your comment doesn’t makes sense then, does it?

We signed one, and sold one.

Al-T

A little of what we hoped for has come to fruition but much remains to be done. Defence will be better for Maguire and a proper RB in Obi Wan. We are, however, overstocked with defensive inadequates; Rojo, Bailley, Jones, Darmian. No team that might be in the market for them can afford them. There's no value in extending their contracts, just an ongoing liability. Let them go when their contracts expire. Sadly, we had the chance to punt Jones and didn't take it.

Midfield looks short of options and underwhelming. It's almost beyond belief that we have failed to recruit here.

Attack likewise. Rashford, Martial and the White Elephant that is Sanchez look well short of the quality and depth required for top 4.

Have to hope the youngsters step up but we can't throw them under the bus when they have inevitable off days.

Solskjaer has been here eight months. He'll have said what he wants and needed. Woodward is the Lord Charles to the parasitic Glazer's Ray Allen so let's be in no doubt who is responsible for where this club now stands.

Not optimistic.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I want to wait and see what happens but things could ugly very quickly. Either these kids hit the ground running or we're in for another waste of 12 months, and frankly, it's really annoying to watch another year go by without any joy from football.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not sure why the club didn't bring in another attacker. When Lukaku was actually doing his job in 17/18, Utd ended 2nd in the league. Then he turned to absolute shit and Utd lost out on top 4. Not a coincidence.

United really needed an extra goalscorer IMO to share the responsibility with Martial, Rashford and Lingard.

MS4

So .. we were hyped when there was Dybala and Bruno in the room and now we are here.
Feel demotivated

wolvored

As someone else said you cant predict the top 3rd-6th until the new year. Anyone who thinks negative before a ball is even kicked, go and watch snooker instead. We could be anywhere from 3rd to 6th imo. we definitely wont finish lower than 6th. Even last season there was still a big gap points wise between 6th and 7th, us and the Wanderers. Come on lets have some positivity instead!