No chance of top 4 after incompetently handled transfer window ft 1000000% more tears and drama

Ranchero

Another farcical, disgraceful, incompetently handled transfer window, which will result in another statement about pulling in a director of football, that won't happen.

I mean what club knowing Lukaku is going waits till the day before the window closes to get a replacement. You think that's bull?

Well Lyon has confirmed that we tried to get Moussa Dembele... and Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has trolled the club saying: “It is not a question of money, it is a question of ambition.“

“Moussa Dembele will not leave,” he said.

“The model was made for him. We recruited according to him.

“He becomes centre number one, which he was not totally last season.

“It is not a question of money, it is a question of ambition.“

“Moussa is part of the project just like Juninho or others,” he added.

“We want him to succeed and to reach the France team from his club which is Lyon.

“We have a great deal of confidence in its capabilities and potential.”

Defenders were needed, but they won't make the difference at the top half of the table. Right now we are fighting Everton and Wolves for sixth place. We have NO chance of top four.

The fact we think our midfield is good enough shows that there is something dreadfully wrong within our club.

But surely the club knows our midfield is not good enough, hence the last minute dalliance with Eriksen.

Meanwhile the midfielder-rich Spurs bring in not one but two central midfielders of quality.

It has been said many times before, but I don't think I am alone in thinking that enough is enough.

Woodward out. Glazers out.

Last edited:

Roboc7

There’s a chance but we’re outsiders and the Europa league will cost us points.

I think we’ll finish 6th and will be first season where you can’t really complain about not finishing in top 4 because there are better teams. I’ve given up trying to work out what’s going on behind the scenes and caring as much. This is what the club is now just stumbling along hoping to make top 4 and repeating same mistakes over and over again. Utd as a top club that wants and can compete is dead until there is fundamental change.

Woodward and the owners are happy and until that changes we are stuck in this cycle. Woodward and Glazers out is meaningless and they’ll be pissing all over the fans for years to come yet.

Ranchero

There’s a chance but we’re outsiders and the Europa league will cost us points.

I think we’ll finish 6th and will be first season where you can’t really complain about not finishing in top 4 because there are better teams. I’ve given up trying to work out what’s going on behind the scenes and caring as much. This is what the club is now just stumbling along hoping to make top 4 and repeating same mistakes over and over again. Utd as a top club that wants and can compete is dead until there is fundamental change.

Woodward and the owners are happy and until that changes we are stuck in this cycle. Woodward and Glazers out is meaningless and they’ll be pissing all over the fans for years to come yet.
It is the first time I have said Glazers out... and it is more symbolic than anything else. Because they won't be going. I just want an end to the club being a laughing stock. Even Arsenal have invested wisely. Look at Wolves. Right now Wolves are a better side than us, no question. I think the best we will do, in all honestly is seventh.

1. City 2. Liverpool 3. Spurs 4. Arsenal 5. Chelsea 6. Wolves 7. Man Utd (maybe).

That's me being realistic.

Roboc7

It is the first time I have said Glazers out... and it is more symbolic than anything else. Because they won't be going. I just want an end to the club being a laughing stock. Even Arsenal have invested wisely. Look at Wolves. Right now Wolves are a better side than us, no question. I think the best we will do, in all honestly is seventh.

1. City 2. Liverpool 3. Spurs 4. Arsenal 5. Chelsea 6. Wolves 7. Man Utd (maybe).

It’s only going to get worse and worse and we’ll be more and more of a laughing stock. That’s the problem with Glazersout it’s just symbolic, they are here to stay unless no one renews their season ticket next season and that’s never happening.

We have to lap this up or find a new hobby that’s the reality. Like I said I think we’ll finish sixth but wouldn’t surprise me if it’s lower and either way that’s Ole gone and back to square one.

Ranchero

It’s only going to get worse and worse and we’ll be more and more of a laughing stock. That’s the problem with Glazersout it’s just symbolic, they are here to stay unless no one renews their season ticket next season and that’s never happening.

We have to lap this up or find a new hobby that’s the reality. Like I said I think we’ll finish sixth but wouldn’t surprise me if it’s lower and either way that’s Ole gone and back to square one.
I tell you what, when I am at the Stret end at Old Trafford on Sunday, I will find reasons to be optimistic. I mean a midfield three of Fred (DM) Gomes-Pogba and front three of Martial-Rashford-Greenwood does kind of makes me think hmmm.

The problem is we are relying on the untried except in pre-season doing it. I have no doubts about Greenwood. I think he is class. Gomes needs more game time, but now is the time.

My fear is Ole won't play the kids. Gomes and Greenwood have done enough in pre-season to start against Chelsea, in my view.

Hey, I am starting to feel quite positive.

If it works, it will be despite of rather than because of the club's hierarchy.

Womp

idiot
Feck this club dude, I'm done. No point even getting upset anymore, us being a fecking joke is expected now and has been for some time. Every season I hope it'll change, but we just have clueless cnuts running the club. It's not even down to a lack of investment, they're spending money. They're just doing so fecking terribly, their recruitment is fecking rubbish and the choice of managers/dinosaur footballing structure has completely fecked this club.

This window has exposed the fact that top players just don't want to come here anymore and the top players we do have are dying to get out. Once we lose Pogba this summer or next, it's going to be a long road I feel.

Gandalf

Can't see Gomes and Greenwood starting against Chelsea and they probably shouldn't. I would expect we will go with a starting front 4 of Rashford up top with Martial left, Lingard through the middle and Greenwood or James on the right in front of Pogba and McTominay. We need to up their minutes through the season but playing a major rival in the season opener might be expecting too much of them and experienced heads will be needed.

As for the original post. I think we have much the same chance as last year which is a fighting chance but it could have been so much better with a couple of decent midfield signings or a top striker. Chelsea have clearly been weakened in this window and although Arsenal have had a flurry they still have a dreadful backline and are relying an awful lot on Pepe hitting the ground running so this was a great chance to jump over them and we have failed. Spurs look to have had the best window but RB is going to be an issue and Sessegnon is a long way off being ready to hold down a first team spot. We will know more once the continental window shuts because if Eriksen and to a lesser extent Rose stay then it has been a great window but if they lose Eriksen then it is pretty much a wash for me and they have stood still.

passing-wind

The fact Solskjaer has identified Dembele as a replacement for a 80 million established front man is a joke in itself. Ole along with Woodward have made their beds already, the best thing the club can do from here on out is look who to bring it next both managers and DOF.

7 / 8 th place finish all but guaranteed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Massively improved back 4, defensive mid improved compared to last season (McTominay > Matic), full season of Pogba under Ole compared to just half a season (Ole is no genius, but let's not pretend like there wasnt a massive difference in Pogba in the 2 halves of last season).

No worse off in starting 11 with Martial/Rashford starting as LW/ST compared to Martial or Rashford with Lukaku top. Greenwood will be a massive improvement over any RW we had, plus James as an option.

Comparing our starting 11's, it's not even close for me. This season is much stronger. In terms of depth, midfield is the obvious concern as 1 injury and Matic plays, while I think we'll find that we're fine in the attack with Greenwood/Gomes/Chong and James essentially being added to the squad in bigger roles.

Arsenal have had a good window so I would have them favourites for 4th, maybe, but I keep flip flopping. Between United and Arsenal for 4/5th, Chelsea 6th. If things click for some key pieces for us, then I'm confident we'll get top 4 and have a good season. The biggest issue is the midfield we are relying on McTominay both making the step up, and staying fit.

fps

Massively improved back 4, defensive mid improved compared to last season (McTominay > Matic), full season of Pogba under Ole compared to just half a season (Ole is no genius, but let's not pretend like there wasnt a massive difference in Pogba in the 2 halves of last season).

No worse off in starting 11 with Martial/Rashford starting as LW/ST compared to Martial or Rashford with Lukaku top. Greenwood will be a massive improvement over any RW we had, plus James as an option.

Comparing our starting 11's, it's not even close for me. This season is much stronger. In terms of depth, midfield is the obvious concern as 1 injury and Matic plays, while I think we'll find that we're fine in the attack with Greenwood/Gomes/Chong and James essentially being added to the squad in bigger roles.

Arsenal have had a good window so I would have them favourites for 4th, maybe, but I keep flip flopping. Between United and Arsenal for 4/5th, Chelsea 6th. If things click for some key pieces for us, then I'm confident we'll get top 4 and have a good season. The biggest issue is the midfield we are relying on McTominay both making the step up, and staying fit.
Agree. Stronger first XI.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Get the feck outta here with your logic top red!

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Woodward and co weren’t suddenly going to stop being shit. They had to go. They’re still here.

AJ10

Quality of Daily mail articles is getting worse.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I am going to take joy in bumping all thirty of these miserable fecking threads you've made recently when we finish top four.

Greck

This no chance at top 4 thing is your opinion. Many of us don't buy it. Chelsea lost their best player and didn't replace him and Arsenal are Arsenal.

The_Midfielder

the first 6 games are crucial.. as we have games against teams like Leicester, Wolves, West Ham and Chelsea ..
if we win them, we will hit top 4.. the momentum, confidence and the buzz willl carry us ( barring injury to Pogba) , but if we falter in these games .. we will have another long season and might be around 8th..

Ollie Derbyshire

Saying no chance of a top 4 finish is ridiculous. You really think Arsenal, Chelsea & Wolves have a better squad than us. Some people really have to have a word with themselves. Why should they finish higher than us? What have they done this window to really cement a higher finish?

We aren’t going to get rid of everyone we’d like in one window, granted an extra midfielder would have been a great window but let’s give the lads a chance before writing the whole season off. I think the below looks a good team and we’ll surprise everyone writing us off;

De Gea
Wan Bissaka Maguire Lindelof Shaw
Matic McTominay
Pogba
James Martial Rashford

Only 2 positions that really need an upgrade are Matic and possibly James. Rotating Matic would be a good start so he isn’t run into the ground again.

Most people want to give Rashford & Martial a proper go so let’s see what they can do.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.

Wouldnt write off Everton and Leicester either.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Can't agree that we stand no chance.

Arsenal look good on paper, but they are Arsenal. They'll have a meltdown and a injury crisis just like us. They are thin in midfield and need to put together a new CB-pairing consisting of Holding, Sokratis or Luiz.

Chelsea lost their talisman in Hazard, and while i believe Pulisic & CHO will be a good pair for them, they don't have a proper striker and on top of that they don't have good backup (to my knowledge) for CB spots. Injuries in the backline could be terrible for them.

I think it's up in the air who will get more goals between us and Chelsea, but I also think we look better in defense than Arsenal (ignoring the midfield). We certainly would need some luck and the squad to perform well in order to get top 4, but again I can't agree with the notion that we have no chance.

I think the season as things stand now will end with:
1. City
2. Pool
3-4. Arsenal and Spurs
5. United
6. Chelsea

But injuries and form can certainly change everything from 3rd to 6th, maybe even 8th if Wolves and Everton are lucky.
If spurs lose Eriksen then they might fall down to 4th or 5th.

Ollie Derbyshire

the first 6 games are crucial.. as we have games against teams like Leicester, Wolves, West Ham and Chelsea ..
if we win them, we will hit top 4.. the momentum, confidence and the buzz willl carry us ( barring injury to Pogba) , but if we falter in these games .. we will have another long season and might be around 8th..
Seriously, you’re betting the whole season on the first 6 games?

Drawfull

Not enough pointless pics. We will piss top 4. We nearly pissed it eventually last season despite two-thirds of it being absolute wank. We lost Fellaini (hated here), Herrera (slated here) and Lukaku. No comment necessary.

ATXRedDevil

Honestly, I think the only thing we were missing was a CM, though that is a glaring omission.

Assuming we're playing a 4-2-3-1...

Our defense is sorted for a long time. We have a back four aged 21-26 that are all tied down to long term contracts including the best defensive RB in the league, arguably the best defensive LB in the league, the best English CB out there and Lindelof who's continuing to develop. We have plenty of depth, other than LB, but have a prospect in Laird who can play on the right or left and looks like he'll be a big time player in a few years.

Our attack is largely youth and promise, but Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are all exciting young players, none older than 23. James looks a great young prospect. Lingard offers versatility, even if he shouldn't be a starter. Mata has experience and creativity. Sanchez will never be the player of old, but I still think he has it in him to find some form and get double digit goals for us (which would be found gold at this point). Chong is still developing but shows promise and will get plenty of game time in the cups and EL to progress. And Gomes looks like he could be our starting #10 by the end of the season.

That leaves CM, where we're super thin. I think a pivot of Pogba and McTominay will do well, but we have Matic and Fred behind them? Two injuries and we'll have Jones (if he's not already injured) or maybe Garner who's still developing to come in if one goes down or needs a rest?

Essentially I put this window down to two huge gambles: 1) that the youngsters are ready to step up, and 2) that we will be relatively injury free in CM.

The gamble will either feck us or set us up for the next decade. If the injuries mount up this season and the youngsters don't deliver and we don't get top 4, we'd likely lose out on Sancho, lose Pogba and be recruiting for about 3 positions by offering (maybe) Europa League football for the second year in a row. If we can get top 4, I reckon we'll get Sancho next summer and our attack will be sorted for years with him, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and James. If Pogba leaves we'll need to replace him and sign another CM. That would be a 250m pound summer (though probably only around 100m net) and I think we'd be good to go for the foreseeable future if the youngsters develop.

If the gambles pay off, this could be our starting 11 for the next 5 years starting in 2020 (with a large chunk of money for those two midfield spots):

-------------De Gea----------
AWB-Maguire-Lindelof-Shaw
-------New CM----New CM/McTominay
-------------Gomes----------
Sancho-----Martial-----Rashford

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Exactly, the main issue is depth otherwise the defense is improved and the rest is the same with potential improvements from young players being older/more developed and two new options on the right.

Blind pew

It's impossible to make any accurate predictions about league position and probably will be until after Christmas. Maybe Halloween.

There's no point worrying about other clubs making this or that signing. What if they're rubbish or don't bed in etc? Besides, if United are the new Chelsea it sends the wrong message to the youths teams. ie they'll never a get a chance in the first team.

I hope the Dybala debacle showed United have changed tack and will not be dealing with such obvious mercenaries again, United shouldn't be seen as a soft touch gravy train any more.

Glazers ain't going anywhere. Forget them, United have to succeed in spite of them.

Last edited:

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I am not at all happy with our transfer window, however I still think we can get top 4.

I expect to see improvements from our key players and our defence looks really good on paper at least.

Revan

Assumptionman

Kind of agree with you. I think that the team is better than people are giving credit, and I think that we will get the fourth place.

If Pogba gets injured though, Lord help us all.

TrustInOle

I am going to take joy in bumping all thirty of these miserable fecking threads you've made recently when we finish top four.
Haha, I can't wait to see it!
You would think people like focusing on only the bad points of United these days.

The way i see it, we have a lot to be positive about. We finally have a manager that understands and wants to play the United way.
We have just sorted our defence out finally, which has been needed doing since Ferdinand and Vidic's legs went out! Thats 6/7 years ago, let that sink in.
We have, for the first time since probably 92, an outrageously talented group of kids, who just so happen to excell in all the areas people are crying out for.....Gomes-amc / Greenwood-ST/RW / Garner and Fosu-DMC / Tuanzebe-dc...... I could go on.

What im trying to get at is, with these talented youngster, along with a manager who will trust them, we have something to be excited about. Also worth noting, these kids will try harder than any foreign or home turf signing we could have made, and potentially have that for their whole careers, whilst not being tempted by the sun in spain. Just my 2 pennies.

Alabaster Codify7

Ole the patsy told us all, before the season had ended, that 6th place would be a battle this season, feck top 4.

We all heard his words, some of us preferred to ignore them or bury their heads in the sand. A battle to make top 6? Man fecking United? Biggest club in the world? Not a chance.

Well, here we are in a dogfight for top 6. And Wolves and Everton, and possibly Leicester, are well positioned to KO us in that fight.

cantonaldo

All this moaning won't help the team one bit. They need confidence and you are just knocking them down further with "we are not good enough" crap.

Did Leicester win the league previously by signing in superstars like Dybala, Erikson, etc? No, they did so with a bunch of unknown, so how can you say that we can't compete with our recent additions?

Window is closed. Deals done. Now, get behind the team or go support Spurs or Arsenal since they've impressed you so much.