No chance of top 4 after incompetently handled transfer window ft 1000000% more tears and drama

OLLY ORANGE

Fourth will be a decent season.
The youth are gonna have to step up big time this season.
At least seven existing players needed selling and at least three needed to be bought in on top of what we purchased.
Two injuries to two key players in this campaign and we'll be in big trouble this season.
A shocking attempt at rebuilding a club in a key window. This squad will not be capable of competing for the major honors again.
Our board and management have got a lot of explaining.
Fans have been taken for a ride for the sake of the debt and lining the Glazers pockets again.
Deceit and another false dawn comes to mind.

NWRed

What a brilliant time and money saving idea.

I think it's how the PL table should be decided every year, just let fans vote at the end of the transfer window on who has signed the best players or who's chairman is the best negotiator or whatever and save us all the inconvenience of turning up/tuning in every Saturday.

pauldyson1uk

Feck this club dude, I'm done. No point even getting upset anymore, us being a fecking joke is expected now and has been for some time. Every season I hope it'll change, but we just have clueless cnuts running the club. It's not even down to a lack of investment, they're spending money. They're just doing so fecking terribly, their recruitment is fecking rubbish and the choice of managers/dinosaur footballing structure has completely fecked this club.

This window has exposed the fact that top players just don't want to come here anymore and the top players we do have are dying to get out. Once we lose Pogba this summer or next, it's going to be a long road I feel.
bye then , you sound like the muppets on Facebook, who think the job can be done in one window.
Not having CL football has hurt, but we have improved and I have faith in the players we have.
Admittedly not replacing Lukaku could come back and hurt us, but lets wait and see , but seems you have made you mind up already.

Devil may care

We've been fortunate in Chelsea having a transfer ban as they lack a striker, otherwise I'd 100% agree with the OP. Having said that I could see a team like Everton, Leicester or Wolves sneak passed us and Arsenal as both sets of players are fairly gutless.

Our defense looks solid on paper but lets not kid ourselves, Maguire isn't a truly top CB and AWB only has half of a modern fullback's game at the moment. The midfield and attack are jokes, Pogba is the only quality we have in midfield and he doesn't even want to be here, Matic is utterly done and Fred's an erratic waste of time. Up top we've got a choice of two overpaid, overrated forwards who constantly go missing for long periods, two complete has-beens, two children and a Championship winger, it'll only be Arsenal's ability to be Arsenal that will see us get top 4, nothing to do with this mediocre side we've got.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
4th place is between us, Wolves, Arsenal and Chelsea.

ash_86

We'll make top 4 defiantly. We're one of the best defenses in the league and our attackers (Martial, Rashford, Pogba) are coming back from having their best league tallies last season. Now we have set pieces threat in Maguire too. I cannot see us not making top 4 seriously.

Piyush

I think that in this window, we have strengthened our defence. Fred, Mctomnay were not playing regularly.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Feck this club dude, I'm done. No point even getting upset anymore, us being a fecking joke is expected now and has been for some time. Every season I hope it'll change, but we just have clueless cnuts running the club. It's not even down to a lack of investment, they're spending money. They're just doing so fecking terribly, their recruitment is fecking rubbish and the choice of managers/dinosaur footballing structure has completely fecked this club.

This window has exposed the fact that top players just don't want to come here anymore and the top players we do have are dying to get out. Once we lose Pogba this summer or next, it's going to be a long road I feel.
The owners are not clueless, they are money men who have jumped on United like a bunch of mosquitoes on a topless drunk sleeper on the beach, we need to shake the fcukers off and start swatting.

Ranchero

Can't see Gomes and Greenwood starting against Chelsea and they probably shouldn't. I would expect we will go with a starting front 4 of Rashford up top with Martial left, Lingard through the middle and Greenwood or James on the right in front of Pogba and McTominay. We need to up their minutes through the season but playing a major rival in the season opener might be expecting too much of them and experienced heads will be needed.

As for the original post. I think we have much the same chance as last year which is a fighting chance but it could have been so much better with a couple of decent midfield signings or a top striker. Chelsea have clearly been weakened in this window and although Arsenal have had a flurry they still have a dreadful backline and are relying an awful lot on Pepe hitting the ground running so this was a great chance to jump over them and we have failed. Spurs look to have had the best window but RB is going to be an issue and Sessegnon is a long way off being ready to hold down a first team spot. We will know more once the continental window shuts because if Eriksen and to a lesser extent Rose stay then it has been a great window but if they lose Eriksen then it is pretty much a wash for me and they have stood still.
I agree. I think that will be what happen. The same failed combination. We are doomed. DOOMED.

TheReligion

Abusive

I'm sorry but bet you've never set foot in Old Trafford with an attitude like that.

By all means be critical but feck the club? So offensive.

Maguire and AWB are great signings. James is also exciting. It's where we are at currently and we have to make do. If we had got CL we might have done more when it comes to signing overseas players and yes we are two players short this time around IMO but this is a long term project and we are profiling and getting in the right players. We've also began offloading the rest.

Comet49

Can’t believe Lukaku has gone with no replacement, I like the look of Greenwood but he should be given time to develop before too much pressure is placed on him.

RedCurry

It is incompetent. Not just the fact that we didn't land players or couldn't get rid of players. But the fact that we let out so many silly leaks about whether we want to buy or sell a certain player.

Now we're going into the next season with some players undoubtedly demoralized about the club's ability to attract top players as well as with the knowledge that the club would have replaced them if the decision makers could. This is maybe even worse than not being able to sign top players.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The doom and gloom of some of our supporters is hilarious. Not only will we be in the top 4 this year, but we will put up a title challenge. But go on, try and convince me that my optimism is misplaced and that I should be a negative Nancy like the rest of you...

RobbieBerns

It’s a dog fight with Chelsea and Arsenal for 4th. I think if our back line clicks off the bat we’re going to be a really difficult team to score against. I’m as worried as the next guy about lack of additions up top and in midfield, but improved seasons from McTominay, Fred, and Pereira coupled with the introduction of Gomes and Greenwood to the first team should have us better off in those departments than last year.

Arsenal are quite weak defensively and throughout the spine of their team, even in comparison to recent Arsenal sides. Chelsea will struggle to score goals even if Pulisic hits the ground running, and that’s being generous.

I’m not saying you can write our name down in pen for a top 4 finish, but to rule us out completely is nonsense.

Ranchero

The doom and gloom of some of our supporters is hilarious. Not only will we be in the top 4 this year, but we will put up a title challenge. But go on, try and convince me that my optimism is misplaced and that I should be a negative Nancy like the rest of you...
Look there's a head-shaped hole in the sand. Hoorah.

El-Manos

All this moaning won't help the team one bit. They need confidence and you are just knocking them down further with "we are not good enough" crap.

Did Leicester win the league previously by signing in superstars like Dybala, Erikson, etc? No, they did so with a bunch of unknown, so how can you say that we can't compete with our recent additions?

Window is closed. Deals done. Now, get behind the team or go support Spurs or Arsenal since they've impressed you so much.
No because he doesn't exist.

NWRed

Some perspective:

We've strengthened our weakest area with 2 excellent signings and have signed a lightning fast winger with big potential who could make an immediate impact, we've also kept hold of our main creative force.

We have gaps in the first team to play our youngsters, 2 of which look like future world class players.

The team have looked sharp and fit in an excellent pre season.

We've sold an unfit and unhappy forward for a big fee and we still have 3 weeks to sell some other players unlikely to feature much.

The football starts again this weekend so all this bullshit is over and we can get back to watching football again.

Reactions: Gandalf Greyhame

OverratedOpinion

I personally don't think Arsenal are particularly great and Chelsea with a new manager and no Hazard looks quite ordinary but I think both will finish just ahead of us. I feel like it might be one of those seasons where it is almost who wants it least.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Another farcical, disgraceful, incompetently handled transfer window, which will result in another statement about pulling in a director of football, that won't happen.

I mean what club knowing Lukaku is going waits till the day before the window closes to get a replacement. You think that's bull?

Well Lyon has confirmed that we tried to get Moussa Dembele... and Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has trolled the club saying: “It is not a question of money, it is a question of ambition.“

“Moussa Dembele will not leave,” he said.

“The model was made for him. We recruited according to him.

“He becomes centre number one, which he was not totally last season.

“It is not a question of money, it is a question of ambition.“

“Moussa is part of the project just like Juninho or others,” he added.

“We want him to succeed and to reach the France team from his club which is Lyon.

“We have a great deal of confidence in its capabilities and potential.”

Defenders were needed, but they won't make the difference at the top half of the table. Right now we are fighting Everton and Wolves for sixth place. We have NO chance of top four.

The fact we think our midfield is good enough shows that there is something dreadfully wrong within our club.

But surely the club knows our midfield is not good enough, hence the last minute dalliance with Eriksen.

Meanwhile the midfielder-rich Spurs bring in not one but two central midfielders of quality.

It has been said many times before, but I don't think I am alone in thinking that enough is enough.

Woodward out. Glazers out.
Why Woodward and glazers out? We should have spend more wisely.

Ranchero

It is incompetent. Not just the fact that we didn't land players or couldn't get rid of players. But the fact that we let out so many silly leaks about whether we want to buy or sell a certain player.

Now we're going into the next season with some players undoubtedly demoralized about the club's ability to attract top players as well as with the knowledge that the club would have replaced them if the decision makers could. This is maybe even worse than not being able to sign top players.
What odds Pogba going in the next month. Actually zero odds. He is staying for at least this season, but he will moan and flirt with other clubs both himself and his agent and the nonsense from the tail end of last season will continue for another year.

If we sell up in the next month after he agitates, that really turn a disaster into a catastrophe. Is a catastrophe worse than a disaster? Hmmm. Anyway, you get my drift.

Jacob

Need I remind you that Leicester won the league.

Stop being such drama queens, you're grown men... Either watch United or don't.

As I said before, our first priority was to plug the leak in defense. We did that with two promising British players.

Nobody wants our high paid deadwood, which means we'd only add to the wages if we signed more players. Ultimately it'd be a recipe for disaster to increase the squad without culling first/simultaneously. We should not contract more wages than we save for the next two windows or so.

Jonno

A massive split between we should make top 4 and we’re never going to make the top 4

The squad has been improved, drastically. AWB and Maguire have improved us massively,

Chelsea’s has been weakened, Arsenal’s has stayed the same (Pepe for Ramsey), Leicester’s has been weakened (no Maguire replacement)

We nearly fell into top 4 by tripping over last season. No Mourinho meltdown and sacking this season, we should have enough for top 4.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think I’ll rather wait for the football to start personally. And does every thread need to be a toy-throwing exercise?

I can’t wait for the football to start.

hobbers

I'm done hoping for success.

Now all I hope is that when Ole is inevitably sacked, Ed follows him out the door as far as the football side of things goes.

Ranchero

Why Woodward and glazers out? We should have spend more wisely.

ONLY NET SPEND is of any importance. Our net spend is £65m. £65m during a window when we were supposed to see a rejuvenation and proper investment in new players.

redshaw

We have a chance but we're only going for 4th probably. Hard to see Spurs doing as bad as last season with the new signings. Seems a nailed on top 3.

A lot will hinge on Arsenal's defence and can we get about 65-75 goals.

I have faith we'll keep the goals out. Martial and Rashford will have to take the responsibility and we can use some of the younger players like Greenwood and Gomes. I suspect Lingard will be fired up looking to vastly improve upon last season.

It is a shame about the transfer window. Maguire and Bissaka are really good signings. It feels like a good job half done.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I think wolves, everton and even west ham Will be a threat to our position next season. Nevermind top 4 we will struggle for top 6.

vidic blood & sand

--------------DDG-----------------

AWB---Maguire--Lindelof---Shaw

-----------McTominay-------------

------Fred--------Pogba----------

Rashford----Martial------Sanchez

Subs Chong, Greenwood, Gomes, James, Mata

Matic can be used as well when we want to slow things down.

This is not a useless team that is destined for mid table this season.

Ranchero

Saying no chance of a top 4 finish is ridiculous. You really think Arsenal, Chelsea & Wolves have a better squad than us. Some people really have to have a word with themselves. Why should they finish higher than us? What have they done this window to really cement a higher finish?

We aren’t going to get rid of everyone we’d like in one window, granted an extra midfielder would have been a great window but let’s give the lads a chance before writing the whole season off. I think the below looks a good team and we’ll surprise everyone writing us off;

De Gea
Wan Bissaka Maguire Lindelof Shaw
Matic McTominay
Pogba
James Martial Rashford

Only 2 positions that really need an upgrade are Matic and possibly James. Rotating Matic would be a good start so he isn’t run into the ground again.

Most people want to give Rashford & Martial a proper go so let’s see what they can do.
Yes, Arsenal, Chelsea and Wolves have a better squad than us.

Piyush

I think with the current squad, we can achieve top 4. I am optimist and won't stop supporting my team based on 1 transfer window.

OLLY ORANGE

The best squad will decide who wins the premier league and ours won't be any where near it again.
With the signings, departures and areas strengthened from youth players stepping up are we in a stronger position than last year in closing a large points gap to the title contenders?

Irrational.

The problem is, Ole is too much of a Yes Man and a nice guy to kick up any kind of fuss - whilst Jose was the complete opposite and an asshole. Ole is Ed Woodward and Glazers' wet dream.

If anything Poch has shown this transfer window that he has the right temperament to manage a top club. His club were doing feck all until he tactfully made them spring into action, whilst Ole is apparently 'happy' going into a season with two new first teamers in a bloated squad that completely capitulated at the arse end of last season and deadwood galore. "Some players have played their last game for this team", yeah right. :lol:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
ONLY NET SPEND is of any importance. Our net spend is £65m. £65m during a window when we were supposed to see a rejuvenation and proper investment in new players.
We spent the most out of any club and we got a decent fee for a player who wasn’t even a starter at United:confused:. Things could have been worse if Glazers gave us fewer to spend. We were backed, but I guess you wanted us to outspend twice of what our nearest rivals spent to be satisfied.

Ranchero

--------------DDG-----------------

AWB---Maguire--Lindelof---Shaw

-----------McTominay-------------

------Fred--------Pogba----------

Rashford----Martial------Sanchez

Subs Chong, Greenwood, Gomes, James, Mata

Matic can be used as well when we want to slow things down.

This is not a useless team that is destined for mid table this season.
Would McTominay and Fred get into the teams of City, Liverpool, Spurs, Wolves, Arsenal or Chelsea? Even Everton and Leicester. The answer is most definitely NO.