Gaming No Man's Sky | 25th May New FREE Update: Leviathan

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This game deserves its own thread. A short description: "Developed by Hello Games, the indie studio behind PS3 hit Joe Danger, No Man's Sky is a science-fiction game without limits. If you see a mountain, you can trek there. If you see a planet hanging on the horizon, it's a real place, with its own rich ecology of creatures and vegetation. You can get in your ship, fly into space and it's yours to explore. Not just that, but every star in the sky is just the light of a sun, with its own solar system waiting for you to discover and adventure in."

The first trailer:

And the latest trailer, from E3:

It will launch first on PS4, but it's also coming of PC. It will be a procedurally generated universe, so everyone should see something different from the other players. Oh, and if you discover something first then it will named after you. It's a super small team working it, only four people! No news on a release date so far, but I assume it's been pushed back since their office got flooded last year and they lost some of the work.

Oh and:

That's right, it has perma-death!

Melvyn

prostate examiner

Looks great! Although I'm not sure if it will stay interesting after a couple of hours.

Sweet Square

Like the look of this one. It all depends how big the universe is and if you can anything more than just aimless walking around the planets.

Eriku

There's not even a ballpark estimate of when this'll be out. 2015 some time, I guess?

Looks great. I'll definitely be getting it.

stu_1992

Really looking forward to this, hadn't heard about it before E3 but it looks very cool. Shame there is no mention of a release window.

PlayerOne

Like I said, no release date because they lost everything in the flood. Sean, the guy who did the E3 presentation, did a blog for the Playstation:

Hello PlayStation Blog! My name is Sean Murray, and I’m part of an independent studio called Hello Games. You might know us from a game called Joe Danger. That’s the only time I’ve been on the blog before. Sony were incredibly supportive of us back then, when we were just starting out as four friends, making our first game.

Now Sony is putting our next game, called No Man’s Sky, on the biggest stage in the world of video games… and I’m feeling pretty sick with nerves.

I’m writing this during the rehearsals for Sony’s E3 keynote. I’ve never been before, just watched every year from home. It’s a lot bigger in real life.

No Man’s Sky is a science-fiction game, and it’s incredibly ambitious, set in a vast universe we have created.

It’s a game without limits. If you see a mountain, you can trek there. From that mountain, if you see another planet hanging on the horizon, that’s a real place, with its own ecology. You can get in your ship, fly into space and it’s yours to explore. Not just that, but every star in the sky is just the light of a sun, with its own solar system waiting for you to discover and adventure in.

To put together our demo for E3, I’ve just been flying around, looking for nice locations for screenshots. Normally as a developer, your game doesn’t often surprise you, but I’ve just been grinning ear to ear as I’ve explored. Getting into fights with pirates, attacking space stations, discovering life I never knew existed. I guess I’m biased, but there are moments where my jaw drops, just seeing unexpected results emerge from procedural systems we’ve created.

Going out on the stage at Sony’s E3 press conference will be the biggest thing our little studio has ever done. We’ve been planning this game for years, even knowing that Joe Danger was a stepping stone to get to this point. Four of us went into a little room last year and finally started prototyping it. We didn’t even know if what we wanted to do was possible.

Before we finally announced it at VGX we just had no idea how No Man’s Sky would be received, but the incredible reaction helped us get through some real difficult times in the months since, like when our studio flooded at Christmas, and we sort of lost everything.

We’ve all been working so hard for our E3 demo since then. We haven’t done any press, or talked to anyone really, we just wanted to make the game, and prove ourselves worthy of all the kind words we’ve had since the VGXs. In that time we’ve seen the universe explode as we’ve designed hundreds of new procedural systems that have led to new forms of life, new patterns of vegetation and amazing geological formations. Back at VGX, the game was so young. Now it’s much more complete.

I’ve flown out first, but the whole of Hello Games is joining me soon to sit in the audience. I can’t wait to see them – it’ll be our first E3 for everyone.

By the time you’re reading this, hopefully the show went off without a hitch and I didn’t vomit on-stage, or whatever (potentially I’m already some sort of animated gif meme embarrassment). But most of all, we hope you like what we’ve shown today.

Thanks for all your support!
Sean did a interview with IGN and he explained the game:

Nickosaur

Looks fecking brilliant. I love the style and the freedom. AND DINOSAURS.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The scope of this game sounds ridiculous for just 4 people to acheive! Could be amazing through - depends how interesting they can keep the exploration... and how big the universe will be.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Space. Dinosaurs. Space dinosaurs. :drool:

And those colours.

Please don't go the way of Spore, which promised a lot in WIP and trailers but delivered a watered down version in the final product.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
The scope of this game sounds ridiculous for just 4 people to acheive! Could be amazing through - depends how interesting they can keep the exploration... and how big the universe will be.
Big enough that no one person will ever get to explore it all.

This could be epic.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Well it's procedurally generated so it's impossible to explore it all.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Well it's procedurally generated so it's impossible to explore it all.
"procedurally generated" does make me a bit skeptical - though admitidally I don't know all that much about the technology/mechanics behind it... to me, it means we're less likely to get interesting environments/landscapes worth exploring if it's being generated... or is my skepticism totally misplaced?

JackXX

Like the art style a lot. What is the aim of the game though?

PlayerOne

Like the art style a lot. What is the aim of the game though?
If you watch the video interview with Sean then he pretty said you can do whatever you want. From what I understand then the whole idea is that people explore the game, but they did hint at a storyline.

Sean Murray was on Gamespot and he answered a lot of questions:

JackXX

If you watch the video interview with Sean then he pretty said you can do whatever you want. From what I understand then the whole idea is that people explore the game, but they did hint at a storyline.

Sean Murray was on Gamespot and he answered a lot of questions:

Thanks that makes sense.

Count Orduck

Looks so good. I want it now. If they can cultivate a sort of EVE-ish community / feel, where you get drawn back by the space elements, and the exploration just feeds into that, then it'll be something that hooks people.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Will you just fly around pointlessly or will you actually have things to do?

PlayerOne

New trailer, although it seems some of it seems to be from the E3 trailer.

Also, a user on Reddit explained how No Man's Sky works:

The short answer is: math.

The long answer:

So, let's start with space. Space is just that - space. Most of it is comprised of "emptiness" (hence the name, SPAAAAAACE) with the occasional planet, star, asteroid, or other astronomical body. So in order to make "space" the game just has to define some mathematical concepts. Your position in space is represented by 3 coordinates, X, Y, and Z. The game does not have to define the LIMITS of space, it only has to define the position of existing objects.

So you have a database or table that simply holds the X, Y, and Z values for every object in space. Planet 1 is located at the coordinates X:10, Y:-3, Z:40. The player flying their ship around moves them through space, and when they approach those coordinates, the game engine checks it database and says "hey, you're getting close to Planet 1, load up its data into memory".

So how does it do things like ships or asteroids? Same basic concept, only it uses spawn points instead of fixed positioning. When you approach the XYZ coords of a spawn point, the game determines if anything has recently spawned there or should spawn there when you approach. So let's say the game spawns a fleet of cargo ships. When spawned, those ships determine their destination, point themselves in that direction, and just start moving forward. When you fly away from those ships, they go from being whole ships with polygons and textures and AI routines to being something known as "tokens" - reducing them to numbers. When "tokenized" the ships simply exist as coordinates in space, so they take up almost no RAM or computational power. The ships move at a fixed rate, so assuming the ships move at a relatively fixed speed, the game uses a miniscule amount of processing power to track their movements until they reach their destination and de-spawn, or are destroyed.

Now apply this same concept to a universe of objects - asteroids, planets, hostile ships, and you ultimately still have a very small amount of data to process. The reason being that the universe is not processing everything at once, it's probably only processing things the player has seen or that are predetermined. So the game's creators might say "ok, we need to have approximately 1000 cargo ships flying around space at any given time, 500 hostile ships, and 10000 asteroids"

So each of these objects, being nothing more than a number when offscreen, gets its position updated once per second. That's 11500 objects, at 3 coordinates an object meaning 34,500 coordinate points to update per second. If you (rather generously) apply 32 bits to your coordinate values, you take (34,500 * 32) to get 1,104,000 bits. So tracking 11,500 independent objects in space takes up about ONE MEG(abit) of RAM.

Processing-wise, you've got an 8-core processor running at approximately 1.6ghz, rated at around 1.8 TFLOPS. In laymans terms, this means it can do about 1,800,000,000,000 operations per second.

So tracking even 11,500 independent objects through space uses less than ONE-THOUSANDTH of your processing capability. Combine this with not-that-difficult-to-make code that basically tells the game to try to keep the space around the player more interesting than remote space - in other words: make sure 70% of those 11,500 objects are "nearby" so that players run into them and so that space doesn't feel TOO empty.

PlayerOne

Ok so now that we've covered the basic concept and resource usage behind how the game knows where stuff is and what it's doing, let's look at making a planet.

Same basic concept as before, really. When you're in space, the game keeps track of a table of objects and their locations. So let's say you fly near Planet 1. When you're in space, the "space" database is what's loaded into memory. Planet 1 is here, Ship 1 is here, etc.

When you start to fly into Planet 1's atmosphere, the game engine says "hey, we're leaving space and entering Planet 1's atmosphere" - so the game probably unloads the "space database" and loads up the "Planet 1" database. If this is the first time you've ever flown into Planet 1, it generates this database from scratch either when you approach Planet 1, or possibly even just when you got near to Planet 1. Or maybe if you got a mission to go to Planet 1 it generated this when you got the mission, since Planet 1 may need to meet certain parameters (or the mission might need to fit with Planet 1's motif).

And in the end, it's all the same basic concept - the game just creates a variety of mathematical grids. Ok, first up - the terrain. Terrain is nothing more than a series of points, so each point has (surprise) an X, Y, and Z value. The only difference is that when drawing terrain the game engine uses math to actually fill in the gap between those two points.

This is exactly the reason the graphics in the game are "flat" like that - it's 100x easier to make good looking procedural content when you don't need to worry about texture details. This isn't to say that it will look ugly, but it's very hard to make a texture on the fly, and that requires a lot of storage. Whereas with just a flat color, you only need to store a single value for the terrain's texture - the color, and the rest is just handled on the fly by the graphics - shading, lighting, shadows, etc are all only relevant to the immediate moment, whereas things like rock texture, or grass, dirt, etc components of the ground all need to be stored for coherence the next time you return to a spot so that it looks the same.

So what about the trees, or the grass?

Well, same concept really. You fly into a planet and the game engine says "ok, this planet has grass that's between 0 and 1m tall" (when perhaps your maximum value on another planet could be as much as 3m tall...), so it starts paining the ground with grass spawns. A lot of math is done and the results are stored in memory, but the nuts and bolts are that the game figured out the coordinate boundaries for every patch of grass, and stored those. Then when you get near that patch of grass, it actually does the math to figure out exactly which piece of grass is where. The game doesn't need to store the location of every single blade of grass, just, say, 5 points for the "boundaries" of that particular patch of grass. So that's 15 coordinate values to store and calculate. Let's say for this example that grass is stored with 16-bit values instead of 32-bit

But there's a whole planet full of grass, right? Well yes, but you're still talking about points of data. Let's say your average grass patch on Earth covers about 30 square meters (total guess, but just go with me on this) The Earth has a land mass surface area of 150,000,000,000 square meters, approximately 1/5 of which is covered with grass. So divide 150,000,000,000 by 5 (surface area that has grass). Next, divide by 50 (average amount of square meters covered by a patch of grass) - and you get 600,000,000 square meters that you need to account for. Multiply by 5 (average number of data points per grass patch), then multiply by 16 (bits per data point) divide by 8 (bits to bytes) and you wind up with 6GB worth of data, and that's for a planet the size and approximate detail level of Earth. The planets in NMS won't be that large and detailed. Not even close.

So you scale all those numbers down (I'll let you do the math on that) and you wind up with something more like 6MB worth of data for a planet's grass, (if even that). Do this again for the other items per planet that need storing, then compress the result (so that you don't eat up a ton of HDD space) and each planet maybe takes up a 50 megs of storage, and a gig or two of RAM when active, if loaded into RAM as a whole, which probably is not the case - planets will likely be sliced into sections that load on the fly as you approach them (for comparison this is how Fallout/Skyrim work), and unloaded as you get far enough away.

In theory you wouldn't even need the planets to take up defined storage space. You could use algorithms to "seed" things and then just "re-generate" a planet from scratch every time the player gets near to it, all you'd need to do would be to store the seed value(s) and possibly any permanent changes the player made to the planet the last time they were there. Suddenly your planets don't take up megs, they take up bytes.

And THAT is how you could have a universe fit onto a floppy disc.

Ultimately you just apply these same concepts to EVERYTHING in the game. You give that thing a set of parameters and tell the game to make it and store its location. In a procedural game, EVERYTHING is just a bunch of coordinates and values. The reason we didn't see this concept done on consoles previously is mostly because previous consoles had amounts of RAM that didn't lend themselves well to storing a lot of coordinate points and doing math on them constantly. The PS3 had 512MB of RAM, for example. Regardless of how it looked, a planet's worth of grass on a PS3 game would have eaten up a much larger percentage of your overall (usable) RAM, and storage space was also at a premium - PS3s and their games had much heavier limitations on how much data they were allowed to store on the HDD, compared to the PS4, so keeping tracking of a universe by storing the values was impossible, and using seed values was difficult since you'd have to devote a large percentage of your resources to "re-generating" content constantly.

Not that this wouldn't have been possible on the PS3, but it would have looked much more generic, since cutting down the amount of coordinates stored means that environments would have been sparser, and more repetitive. The PS4/Xbox One have potentially crossed a hurdle in the creation of procedural games - we've reached a point where there's enough RAM to store VAST amounts of coordinate data, and give it more variety as well, and enough CPU power to quickly generate or re-generate content on the fly, so that it doesn't take up huge gobs of HDD space.

Think about it for a second: Minecraft is also procedurally generated, it's just not as pretty, and doesn't really scale upwards into space, but it's the same basic concept.

These concepts are actually not new - there is an FPS called .kkreiger that was made in 2004 which is entirely procedural. Its graphics are somewhere around Quake 3 level and the entire game was 96k. In other words, they made a game that looked better than Quake 3 that fits ON A FLOPPY DISC.

Computers are pretty amazing, aren't they? :)

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
A nice read there, can't wait to find out more about No Man's Sky and what the actual gameplay and objectives entail but so far it sounds fantastic.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Here's a few insightful interviews with the games creator's from Kotaku and Edge. Good reading, enjoy.

How A Seemingly Impossible Game Is Possible
Tina Amini
KOTAKU ONLINE
Yesterday 5:00pm

If there's one comment louder than all the praise that No Man's Sky has been getting, it's got to be something along the lines of, "Wow, how is that even possible?"

Questions like that confuse Sean Murray and David Ream, managing director/founder and creative director of No Man's Sky developer Hello Games, respectively. For them, it's a no-brainer. Their trailers aren't pre-rendered in a separate build of the game meant specifically to be demoed at E3, they told me in an interview at E3 last week.
Early gameplay footage of the game was accompanied by promises from the tiny Hello Games studio that everything you saw would be procedurally generated, meaning that it was in some way crafted at random by a computer in real time. That trailer was an instant hit.

"The trailer, that's real-time," Ream said. "In order for that trailer to exist as it is we captured from real time. Everything in the game, that is the game functioning. In order to build that trailer, all the systems that we've been talking about have to exist otherwise it would be nothing. From the outside you go, 'Wow, how can that be true?' From the inside, in order to show anything it has to be true."

"We did build prototypes," Murray said. "We built prototypes for those creatures. On the fly I can change all those dinosaurs to be completely different. We come out and people say, 'How can it be real?' and it's just a really weird question to be answering."

Those systems Ream mentioned are indeed real. Murray and Ream showed me their toolset to prove just how infinite the creatures and objects in their game are.

Ream pulls up a blue-ish menu with lines of code written across the screen and quickly clicks across it to pull up a very specific menu within their engine. Before I know it, he's selected an option for trees and I'm staring at one. There's a blueprint for a fairly standard-looking tree off on the right. He clicks a button that says "view variants." Dozens of new trees—of different shapes, sizes, and colors—pop up on the left.

"This is our toolset," Murray says as we scroll through the trees. "We built our own engine. It's super crappy, but it's kind of like Unity or something like that. We've written it all around procedural generation. And that's kind of what we spent the first year, when it was just four of us, what we spent our time doing. And then the last month before the VGXs we built the trailer using that."

Murray is simultaneously proud and humble throughout most of our interview.

"So, you know when we started off on that first planet and it was like a jungle? And you saw actually kind of
hundreds of different types of trees? All reasonably consistent within style and stuff," Murray asked me. "You know, say, Tony Hawk's—the analogy I was using this morning—you know 'Create A Skater' and you'd move all the sliders and just...height, weight, skin color, clothes, all that kind of thing? We kind of try and do that and the technologies to do that to everything. And so actually Grant [Duncan]—who was our only artist for the first year—everything in the VGX trailer is his. He would just build a tree like this but he wouldn't texture it or anything like that because that's procedurally generated. We build it out of voxels rather than polygons, which is how things are normally built."
We go through a few other objects that are procedurally generated in the game. Rhinos, space ships. Ream clicks "view variants" on all of them. And then he keeps clicking them and, sure enough, new variants keep showing up.

"He [Duncan] builds his prototype and you can click 'view variants' and it will generate, like, hundreds of variants. And you click it again, and it will generate more and more and more. And you can actually zoom around in here and see his version and prototype, and then see it from all different angles."

Ream clicks on a spaceship and drags the cursor around to move it in a 360 degree view. Some of these spaceships are drastically different from one another. It's not just colors. They have different wing shapes and windows and other details.

Murray talks about the ships. "So this is like one ship model, with a variety of different kind of basically what we call grammar which describes how a ship is built. Which is, like, it has a core structure, it has a middle, it has wings, it's symmetrical, things like that. We built the basic blueprint for that and then that's formed the...ok just click through a whole bunch of them." He let the magical "view variants" button take over from here.

"So you get kind of infinite ships. And all of these are instantly pilotable and they have their own properties," Murray said.

"You're building a blueprint," Murray said. "And that's true of everything in the game. So say one of our artists will build something and that will take say a week. But what they get from that is every possible variant of that. So if you build a cat, you also get a lion and a tiger and a panther and things that you've never seen—kind of mutations beyond that."

We skip back to creatures and Murray explains that their engine registers the skeleton of each creature and builds on top of it from there. So the scale of creatures will vary based all the usual options like color and size, but also on the muscular build that's placed on top. Front muscles, back muscles, etc. "But not only can we do that but we can have a male of the species, we can have it always be with a bunch of females, we can have little babies, we can have loads of different variation within that," Murray said. "In fact, something on that first planet that no one notices is that all the deer are slightly different color as they would be in real life, which is just a thing we get a kick out of."
"When I was saying that we don't know what's out there...every time I play through this I'm seeing something that's new and often I'm seeing something I've never seen before. And that's quite cool," Murray said.

Some people might interpret this to mean that everyone's game will be different. Not quite. While your experience will be different, everything in the game is consistent with everyone else's game. It's simply a matter of what side of it you end up on.

"Everyone gets the same universe," Murray said. "It's just a really big universe. It contains every possible variation but it is the universe and it's the same for everyone. None of this exists on the disc, none of it exists in the cloud. It's just generated on the fly. When you get there it's always generated the same way every time."
At some point during our interview Murray laughs. He's proud that they've created a system that would give them infinite variants of one creature. He muses that no other game would do that because "why would you bother, I suppose?"

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Ctd....

"So why do you guys bother?" I asked.

"It's easy with this technology," he replied. "We're not bound by content anymore. And that's really freeing."
"But it's because of the engine that you guys built that made this easy," I said. "So how difficult was it to build that engine?"
"It's a weird thing. It took time. To me, it's not difficult. But having said that, no one's ever done it before, so presumably it IS a bit difficult," Murray said. "I guess there's an element to which, and this might sound really cocky, we wanted to prove something, I think. To ourselves. We wanted to do something quite ambitious. I actually had a conversation where I was like...I grew up loving John Carmack and admiring that kind of thing, just being like, he's a great coder. And we had a discussion about Joe Danger and it was like, will I ever do something really interesting or valuable or whatever? Just push the boundary. What do we do next? A car racing game, a platforming game or whatever.
"There is this craft that goes into it and you can feel this warm feeling and that craft is being lost, I think, because of things like Unity and stuff like that. People don't really make custom games or custom technology. They make what they can make easily within Unity. Game designers are actually hampered by that, I think."

Given the ease with which Hello Games is able to create infinite variants of one rhino—both male and female and baby—I asked Murray if he had heard Ubisoft's recent statements about why they nixed female assassins in the upcoming chapter of the Assassin's Creed series. At the time of this interview, Ubisoft had reasoned that production costs and time were a considerable factor to this decision. (Ubisoft has since modified this explanation.)

"There's been this thing for ages: Content is king. Which is probably true," Murray said. "But, I actually think it's kind of everything that's wrong with...not that I'm not in love with games, but it's part of the problem with the industry at the moment. Assassin's Creed's gotta have like 800 people working on it. So, if you're going to have 800 people because you have to make all this content then everything's going to be built in blueprint. You need to have 800 people go in the same direction.

"And so you have to go with the tried and tested game format. And it's going to be so expensive to make that. You can't take any risks, you've gotta make it exactly the same as all the other games out there. And Ubisoft do take risks and things, but the broad spectrum is pretty risky for some games. And it's all because it's so expensive to try something and the bar is so high to do that that I think, and actually it's kind of an easy solution for developers to think 'we're going to make this big racer, we'll put so much money into content.' And that's what you see at E3, it looks amazing."

"But it's easy for you guys to do it," I wondered out loud to him.

"They leave that open for us, which we're glad of," Murray said. "Not using very many colors and things like that. They leave it all to us. The palette that we're using is, to me, the palette of, like, sci-fi book covers. And that's how the game looks. Like, when you look up at that dinosaur and there's a planet there and there's some birds flying past and stuff. It looks like a book cover and that's what we always set out for. We started out with four of us prototyping it. We actually covered all the walls with book covers and just sat there...it was almost depressive. But it was really good."

"It's really art-directed," Ream chimed in. "Some people think a lot of this procedural stuff is going to be boring and bland because it's not generated by people. And that's the whole difference here. Grant, the art director, he's recreating things that we love. Palette schemes, shapes and forms that he loves. Which means every creature here is interesting."

"The demo that we did was concept arted six months ago and then we looked at that concept art," Murray said. "So I described the overall flow of the demo from things that I knew could happen in the world. And then Grant concepted it up and then we looked at those concepts and said, these things don't exist in the world. Like caves or whatever. But also looking at them like how would the rock formations work, that kind of thing.
"And then we generate a system to make that and that system is making caves throughout the universe, following a set of rules and adding flowers at the base of trees across the universe, creating waterfalls or whatever it is. And then we built all those systems and then over the last month we've tried to find the place to stage it and stuff. And that's just totally different to the way I used to work. Like larger AAA studios you build a set of rooms. You know that we're building this exactly for E3 and this will make for a good demo and it will also be the first two minutes of our game.

"Why we're doing it is because it's interesting to us. My attitude has been, 'Let's just do something crazy and go bankrupt doing it.' That's what I've always said. But I don't wanna just make games at the same scale as Joe Danger and still be doing that in 10 years. I just want to try one big thing. So that was the attitude and that was really freeing. As a genuine thing, not like we went into it like, 'Sure! We'll try this and this with the mindset of and it will probably go horribly wrong but we'll go out with a bang,' which we still might."
Murray and the rest of Hello Games are trying to make a very different kind of game. When I asked Murray what string of various genres might come close to explaining their game, he said he hadn't even thought about it. He reminisced about old school games and how "wild and open-ended" they were, even if they did look terrible, according to him.

"People are just so used to that type of game that it becomes hard for them to go back to something that's a bit more free," Murray said. "For us, perhaps we're the generation who grew up with Mario and so we understand levels and missions and quests. So a lot of the questions we get from journalists are about that. How does the mission structure work? How does your rank work? That kind of thing.
"The main people that I talk to who are fans are often the generation that's grown up with Minecraft and they don't have those preconceptions. They don't ask any of those questions. They actually assume that it's just all gonna be there and have that freedom. It seems really outdated, almost, to get that question. How many levels? Or, how do quests work? Well, we won't have any quests."
http://kotaku.com/how-a-seemingly-impossible-game-is-possible-1592820595

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
EDGE Online
No Man's Sky: how a four-person team from Guildford strode forth to create an entire universe

Hello Games’ big reveal of No Man’s Sky almost didn’t happen. Whether you watched Spike’s VGX awards show live or caught up with it after the event, the reaction to the surprise announcement was impossible to miss online. Yet had the studio’s founder, Sean Murray, got his way, the two-minute teaser trailer that prompted such a rapturous response would never have been aired. “I showed the video to about ten people before we went live with the VGXs and eight of them told me to not show it, that it wasn’t good enough and that it was a very strange game that people wouldn’t understand,” he says. “And I agreed with them, and I was actually trying to get them to not show the video.”

In the end, an unlikely ally saved the day. “[VGX co-host] Geoff Keighley fought for us to have a place there, and really stood up for us and told us it was something we should show,” Murray says. Not that he was appeased by Keighley’s enthusiasm, explaining that his overwhelming emotion on the flight to the event was “complete dread”. Murray was convinced that the trailer didn’t look as good as he wanted it to look, and that it didn’t effectively convey how the game played. Admittedly, that was partly down to the response of a handful of members of the UK press who’d seen the footage. “They met it with complete silence, and then we had to go and get [our] flight,” he remembers. “We asked them what they thought and they just sat there and said, ‘We’re not really sure what to say.’ And we said, ‘Well, got to go!’ We sat in silence in the taxi, in silence on an 11-hour flight, and then we got up the next morning and went to the VGX [show]. The four of us were there, and I went on.”
That unveiling was a crucial turning point in a journey that began many years ago. Murray spends several minutes relaying the story in a room with his three co-workers. Enthusiastic, animated, and occasionally descending into a quiet, almost conspiratorial, whisper, he tells his tale to an audience in rapt silence. You can see how he was able to sell them on the idea.

“This is a game that’s been in my head for a very long time,” he says. “Not because I thought I was going to make it, but just because I thought, ‘Someone is going to make this game at some point.’ And my explanation coming to the guys was… I had a very strange upbringing and eccentric parents, and we moved around a lot. For a good part of my childhood, we lived in the Australian outback on a massive farm on a ranch that was a million-and-a-quarter acres, [with] seven air strips and a gold mine. And it basically meant that we were a few hundred miles from anyone else. As a kid, you would spend probably more time than most in the middle of nowhere, the true middle of nowhere, where if something went wrong you were told to just stay where you were and light a fire at an exact time every day, and hope that someone would find you, because you were so far from everywhere else.

“I think that a big part of that experience, when I think back, is that you get this amazing night sky. And when I say that, people picture the best night sky they’ve ever seen, but it feels close. I mean you can see absolutely everything – more stars than you’ve ever seen in your life and they’re there every night. As a kid, I spent an inordinate amount of time with my Amstrad CPC, playing computer games; [I was] starting to program at that stage and looking up… I always thought that’s where videogames would go, that we would create videogames that just contained the whole universe, and you’d be able to visit it all and it’d be amazing.” His eyes light up at the thought. When he says NMS is “the game we’ve always wanted to make”, we believe him.

That same sense of wonder, that yearning to head towards the stars rather than look up at them, is evident in the trailer. Yet it’s difficult to gauge from it exactly what No Man’s Sky is – how it’s structured, how it plays, how it feels. If at times Murray seems somewhat cagey and unwilling to expand on such details, it’s nothing to do with “playing a coy, clever PR game”. He’s adamant that he has no interest in that, and that his reticence is a case of not wanting to give too much away. “[The industry is] obsessed at the moment with parcelling everything up so you know everything about a game before it releases. And we want to allow people to make that decision on their own. When the game releases, people will put it up on the Net or whatever, but it’s their choice as to whether to discover all of that themselves.”

It’s an ethos that extends to the game’s design, too. No Man’s Sky will not have a tutorial. It stems from a desire to show, not tell, and while Murray expresses a distaste for the ’Minecraft in space’ tag that’s been attached to his game, Mojang’s phenomenon has been an inspiration in one sense. “One of the nicest things that’s happened over the last few years in terms of game design has been Minecraft not telling you the rules and formulae for crafting,” he says. “That was a really bold move, and it’s not something that happens very often. For me, it made the game – and when I think of Minecraft, that is what I think of as the game. It just wouldn’t have been the same without [that].”

The Minecraft comparison may be inaccurate, but it’s not an unreasonable one to draw, given the trailer. It soon becomes clear, however, that the cleverly edited teaser is far from the full story. “It has been really fascinating to see that people are just interested in exploring that universe, and we will probably make steps to accommodate that more,” Murray says. “But we aren’t making an ambient or passive experience. We will allow people who really want to have that to have that, so [the reaction] has shaped that side of things, but what would probably surprise people is that we are making a core gameplay experience, and that is where a quarter of our time has been focused at least.”

Hello Games is aiming for a more handcrafted feel than you might expect from a game in which, as the trailer’s intro text proudly states, every atom is procedural. As the studio’s artist, Grant Duncan, explains: “The procedural code to us is just a tool we use to try to create this interesting world, and Dave [Ream, gameplay programmer] deals entirely with how you interact with that world to make it feel good. That, to us, is way more interesting than all the stuff that we have to go through in making this a living, breathing world. That’s not the game.”
“There’s a misconception in terms of what people think of as procedural,” Murray adds. “They’re used to it meaning ‘random’. They’re used to the concept of [something that’s] like a lottery, so one in 100 skies will be blue, one in 100 skies will be red, or whatever. And then they probably picture tools that control that, [with a] percentage chance of this or that thing happening.”

Instead, the studio is building a base of layers, using simple systems that Ream affectionately calls “a magic black box of maths”. Random numbers are fed in, and the box makes sense of them before spitting out something that Murray claims “feels naturalistic”. There’s a strict set of rules underpinning it all, in other words, and the biggest self-imposed restriction is that any new rule that is introduced to the game has to be explicable in a single sentence of plain English. Not only does this lead to a more efficient codebase, but it also allows each of the three programmers to retain all that information. For a veteran like Murray, who worked at Criterion before setting up Hello in 2009, it’s one of the many benefits of working in a smaller group. “I’ve worked on games like Burnout and Black, where we had 100 people working on the team, and no one person even had one-tenth of that codebase in their heads. So when a bug would occur, it would actually be somebody’s job to track down whose fault it was before they could fix it.”

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Which isn’t to say that a project like this, with so many variables involved, hasn’t thrown up its fair share of strange bugs and glitches. “If you introduce a new AI behaviour for creatures, then suddenly that affects fish, birds and crazy squid creatures,” Murray explains. “It affects the ways fireflies work, and you find it also affects the way ships fly in space. It has this massive knock-on [effect]. If a lot of systems are sharing the same simple components, then the work that you do is kind of magnified as well. You can get yourself into horrible situations and horrible problems, but what we’re trying to do is to actually simplify the process in as many ways as possible.”

These problems might range from birds being found underground to the discovery of “some sort of cow animal trapped in a hole”, and yet scenarios naturally occur during testing that invite the three coders to attempt to reverse engineer them – to dig into the code and to create systems “that result in those scenarios happening in an emergent way”. Murray explains how he accidentally dropped a fish onto the shore of one planet and watched as birds began to flock around it. Unfortunately, the birds happened to pass over a large group of carnivorous plants, and a feathery bloodbath promptly ensued. As much as Hello Games is training its game to behave in certain ways, No Man’s Sky’s procedural universe also teaches its coders something new every day.

It is, Murray explains, all about creating individual stories for players; stories they can share with others. In that respect, he likens it to Dean Hall’s celebrated Arma II mod, DayZ. “I don’t think we’re similar to it, but it’s a good example of a game that delivers experiences that are unique, but when you experience them, they’re [also] very representative of what you might see in a zombie comic book or movie or TV show. The experience you have when you describe it out loud sounds like that kind of scenario. But it is emergent. And that’s the key to what we’re trying to do for science-fiction stories.”

Stories won’t be the only thing you’ll share with other players: while No Man’s Sky is predominantly a singleplayer game, it’s a universe you won’t be charting alone. You and all other players will start at its very edges, using planets as stepping stones as you steadily work your way inwards. There’s a reason for heading towards the centre of the universe, although Murray isn’t yet prepared to say what that might be. Again, he insists this isn’t about being wilfully secretive, but about deliberately keeping players asking and wondering.

Despite an element of interaction, No Man’s Sky is in no way a traditional multiplayer experience. “It would really hurt the [game] to have my most hated thing in the world: lobbies. And, ‘Oh, come and join me on my planet – it’s only 7,000 light years away,’ or whatever. We didn’t want to have that. But we still want people to really feel that they are playing together and that they are part of a community.”

To this end, certain significant things you do in that world will be persistent across everyone’s game. The first player to bring up his or her galactic map will see all the planets and the stars within No Man’s Sky’s universe, but they will all be tagged ’unknown’ or ’unexplored’. “And as you, or I, or anyone plays the game, we will discover certain things,” Murray says. “[Such as] space stations, resources, creatures, or whatever those planets hold, and we can choose whether or not to upload that information. So one person on their own will not be able to make a dent in terms of exploring that universe, but hopefully millions of people playing together will be able to start mapping this [space] out in such a way as to help each other along and make new discoveries, and that’s part of the excitement and the thrill of the game.”

We press Murray for examples of these shared significant events, and he sighs deeply before asking himself a rhetorical question: “What am I allowed to say?” He pauses, picking his words carefully. “In every solar system there is one core thing that you can do which is of great significance to that solar system. And that is shared among everyone, and fundamentally changes that solar system, and people can choose whether or not to do that. And there are a number of mechanisms like that, which create emergent gameplay.”

If No Man’s Sky’s planets are stepping stones, then what of the leaps between them? In a universe so vast, how will Hello Games keep the journeys interesting? Murray insists that space in the game is much busier than you might think, with space stations, pirates, NPCs and more to distract you, while your ship will be powerful enough from the outset to make interstellar travel more of a short hop than a trek. “If you’re on a planet and you see another on the horizon, it’s not a chore to get there,” Murray says, before wryly nodding to Wind Waker’s “hours of boat travel”. Realism is a secondary concern: “I don’t want a game where we are restricted by the speed of light and it takes days to travel between planets. It’s a process that should be very empowering for exploration.”

And yet at the same time you’re vulnerable: “We want [players] to be a speck, to be infinitesimal.” This is not, it seems, the time nor the place for thrilling heroics, although you will be able to assist others. How the game balances a feeling of empowerment with a sense of fragility will go a long way towards determining whether or not No Man’s Sky succeeds.

Empowered yet vulnerable: it’s a description that seems to fit Hello Games rather comfortably at the moment. Now the world knows of its plans, is the pressure beginning to tell? After all, three coders and an artist working in a modest Guildford studio have suddenly found themselves creating one of the most talked-about games in the entire industry. “I don’t think we believe it,” Ream says. “It’s a weird thing to say, because you can look and you can see all this evidence, but there’s not thousands of people just stood outside the office. That would definitely make you feel like, ‘Oh my God.’”

And yet the moment he left the VGX set, leaving behind Geoff Keighley and a faintly incredulous Joel McHale (“You’re just four people making this game?” may have been the Community star’s most honest contribution of the night), Sean Murray found himself in a room with several other developers, including Double Fine’s Tim Schafer, all congratulating him. “They were shaking my hand and patting me on the back, and then we came down and all had a hug, and it was like this big Mighty Ducks moment. Somebody shouted, ’You’re trending on Twitter!’ and we all said ’Yeah!’, and I really don’t remember much of the rest of the night.” It was then that the pressure really took hold.

“I’m ten times more nervous now,” Murray admits. “I feel much more comfortable being the underdog that no one expects to deliver.” So if he had his time over, would he show the trailer again, or would he redouble his efforts to get it pulled from the show? “The positivity has been amazing, but all I want to do right now is to go into a very tiny room or hide under my desk with my laptop and just get back to development and really deliver.”

Besides, it’s the scepticism the trailer provoked that inspires Hello Games more. Although Murray dislikes the word ‘ambition’ (“It always sounds driven by a commercial undertone. But a drive to create is something we absolutely have”), being told theirs is too large is having a galvanising effect on the team. “Every tenth comment is, ’I don’t think they can deliver on that,’ or ’It’s too ambitious.’ And I love that,” he admits. “All of us [do].”

“We’ve created a monster!” Ream cries in mock terror, laughing heartily. And it’s clear that while Hello Games may be feeling the weight of expectation, it’s also confident it can deliver on its brave, spectacular vision. The advent of a new generation of hardware has given this team the perfect opportunity to do so. “There is a feeling of elation at being this small team and having those constraints lifted from us of everything having to be hand built,” Murray explains. “Now we have the power to create something huge in size and really expansive.”
Clearly, there is plenty we still don’t know – how No Man’s Sky will be priced, for instance, Hello Games’ release plans, how the game really plays on a moment-to-moment basis, and, perhaps more crucially still, how it feels to spend time in this universe. But leaving it vague is part of the plan for now.

“We said we were going to make a game about exploration,” Murray says. “And I mean true exploration, real discovery, not just some breadcrumbs that a designer has laid down previously for you to discover. Something where even we don’t know the outcomes. And no one does until they begin playing the game.”

Isaac Asimov, an acknowledged influence on Murray and especially on No Man’s Sky, would approve. After all, as the sci-fi author once concluded, “The true delight is in the finding out, rather than in the knowing.”
http://www.edge-online.com/features/no-mans-sky-how-a-four-person-team-from-guildford-strode-forth-to-create-an-entire-universe/

NinjaZombie

Watching the stage demo interview and a question occurred to me. Would it be less interesting if I got the game later than most of the world? Everyone would have probably discovered most of the planets to be discovered by the time I get to exploring.

The idea of a shared big universe is one I can't wrap my head around.

PlayerOne

@ArmandTamzarian Thanks for posting that, it's a very good read.

Watching the stage demo interview and a question occurred to me. Would it be less interesting if I got the game later than most of the world? Everyone would have probably discovered most of the planets to be discovered by the time I get to exploring.

The idea of a shared big universe is one I can't wrap my head around.
Unless I have understood it wrong, then it's likely that your universe will have something unique, so there's always something to discover.

PlayerOne

This is the most ambitious game in the universe

'No Man's Sky' swaps fetch quests and missions for a living, breathing universe of infinite possibility

Summon up every great space-exploration fantasy of the past century — from mining exotic planets in uncharted space to watching attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion — and convert that compendium of awesome into a game of unprecedented size and scale. That, in rough terms, is the motivation behindNo Man’s Sky. This game doesn’t just aim for the moon or the stars; it wants to deliver an infinite universe filled with all types of celestial bodies and an endless variety of possible adventures. It’s one of the most ambitious projects in gaming today and it’s being created by a 10-person team working next door to a taxi company.

Founded in 2008 by a group of four friends leaving big game companies, Hello Games enjoyed success with its first title, 2010’s Joe Danger, before being thrust into the E3 spotlight this year with a gameplay demo of the refreshingly original No Man’s Sky. In a show overrun by predictable sequels and violent antics, its more peaceful exploration stirred up widespread acclaim and anticipation. This past week, fresh off his appearance on gaming’s biggest stage, Hello Games founder Sean Murray sat down with me to discuss the unique universe his company is trying to build and the challenge of doing so with a team small enough to fit into a single room. Plus, he let me try it out for myself.

"Games are incredibly bad at making the rare feel rare," says Murray. "Call of Duty is so worried about you not seeing an explosion every 15 seconds, that there’s never a quiet moment, there’s never a buildup. We’ve lost that ability to have even a feeling of ‘am I going the right way’ that we’re quite used to from real life."

No Man’s Sky spurns the conventional structures of pre-written narratives, set-piece action sequences, and discrete levels. There are no quests in this game. You don’t go planet-hopping to find a damsel or a merchant in distress and then fetch them three healing salves and four wolf pelts of varying colors. In fact, at the outset, you can’t hop very far at all. Each player is handed only the bare necessities for survival, dropped onto a planet on the rim of a galaxy, and left to his or her own devices. A basic life pod will putter you up to the nearest space station where you can begin to figure out how to get such devices, upgrade them, and do something useful or interesting with your life. Most people will start by either mining resources or trying their luck as a bounty hunter or freight security guard. What career paths lie beyond those basic professions is part of the exploration you’ll have to do.

PlayerOne

Continued:

MINE FOR RESOURCES OR MURDER FOR PROFIT — WHAT SORT OF SPACE CAPITALIST WILL YOU BE?
Having to come up with your own objectives and measures for success will be a bewildering premise for a generation of players habituated to receiving explicit directions followed by a pat on the back for every small achievement in a game. Mario jumps and a shiny gold coin pops into the air. The only thing that happens in No Man’s Sky when you jump is that you land back down. Manually piloting your spaceship from the ground to the nearest space station isn’t just the scenic route to leaving the planetary surface, it’s the only way into space. There’s a pervasive insistence on the plausible realism of space exploration that distinguishes this game from most in its genre.

A single universe will be shared by all players of No Man’s Sky, though they’ll be so distant from one another that coming across some other player-controlled spaceship will feel like a truly noteworthy event. As Murray explains, "people underestimate how vast our (in-game) universe is. If we were lucky enough to have a million players and started them all on one planet, they would still be really far apart." So the enormous cluster battles of EVE Online are unlikely to ever materialize in No Man's Sky.

The other name that No Man’s Sky inevitably brings to mind is Spore, the genre-bending game from SimCitycreator Will Wright that first introduced procedurally generated games — which dynamically create their worlds through algorithms rather than human design — to the mainstream. Murray describes that Maxis title as a millstone around his neck that gave games like the one he is building a bad name. It made everything fantastical. Every planet was lush, with a thriving ecosystem of spectacular and weird creatures. That’s what the trailer forNo Man’s Sky depicts too — with fluorescent dinosaurs grazing alongside space antelopes — but Murray says that will be a very uncommon sight in his game.

The developers have set themselves a 90–10 rule. 90 percent of all the planets will not be habitable and won’t have any life on them. Of the 10 percent that do, 90 percent of that life will be primitive and boring. The tiny fraction of garden worlds with more evolved life forms on them will thus be almost as rare in the game universe as they ought to be in the real one. This scarcity is part of the delicate balance that Hello Games is trying to strike between its idealistic commitment to the science of sci-fi and the inherent need to keep players entertained.

This is, after all, still a game, and there are a number of subversive ways in which players are nudged to keep going and exploring. While you can’t level up your hero, you can equip him or her with a jetpack to make those gravity-bound jumps last longer or buy a hyper drive to allow for interstellar travel. There’s an infinite diversity of spaceships you can obtain in the game, but you can’t build them yourself and can only buy the ones docked at space stations. To find the perfect one, you might well have to leave your solar system and see what else is out there.

Ultimately, whether acting as a peaceful trader or a marauding raider, every explorer begins to get drawn in to the center of the universe. Riskier and more lucrative opportunities await travelers of all creeds. Effective cooperation, says Murray, will then be important to achieving each individual’s goals. "The reality is we don’t know what people will do — will they create spokes of a wheel where they cooperate to try and get to the center, or will it be totally chaotic and everyone will go off in different directions?" The crowd dynamics of No Man’s Sky are as excitingly unknowable as the vast expanses of its universe. And Hello Games is as curious to find out where it all leads as the rest of us, with Murray admitting that "we don’t actually know everything that’s out there in this universe we are creating."

Hello Games works around the innate conflict between the scale of its new game and the small size of the team building it by using procedural generation. As Murray puts it, the heart of this game is "a big black box full of math that generates everything on the fly." Instead of having an artist draw every in-game asset or landscape, No Man’s Sky uses a library of base prototypes, randomizes their parameters along a set of rules for internal coherence, and produces a form of organized, infinitely diverse chaos. Those rules are crucial to making the universe believable, and the color, size, geology, and even moisture of each planet will be affected by its distance and relation to the nearest star.

No Man’s Sky already has the skeletal structure to be a cosmically sized playground that we all can share in. The game’s still in development, however, and numerous questions remain to be answered. There are buildings visible on some planets, but how much can the player build? And, on the other side of the same coin, how much will you be able to destroy? A Han Solo simulator can’t be complete without the possibility of a dimpled Death Star to fight against.

Or maybe it can. Sean Murray isn’t ready to promise anything he’s not certain he can deliver in the final game, but he’s okay with it seeming to lack features and options when it’s released. He sees a trend — borne of the success of open-world games like Minecraft and thebuggy but beloved DayZ — that shows people actively engaging with games before they are complete so as to provide their input and participate in their creation. Some gamers prefer to invent their own meaning and purpose, and No Man’s Sky wants to be the most epic canvas for their expression. Where the game’s development goes, what criteria are used to determine success within it, and the ultimate reason for its existence are all things that the players themselves will have to figure out.

Finally, before concluding my visit to the Hello Games studio, I was handed a PS4 controller and allowed to take my own tour of No Man’s Sky. Exploring the colorful planet from the company’s demo reel, I scanned a mossy cave for resources, scared away a few deer scampering about bright-orange underbrush, and got carried away with my jetpack. There wasn’t any point to it other than sheer curiosity, but nothing more was needed. The dreamy sci-fi ambience made the experience of exploring rewarding enough by itself. No Man’s Sky is not a game that you can win or lose, but it certainly won me over at the first attempt. Look for it on PC and the PS4 at an appropriately indeterminate point in the unexplored future.
The Verge

NinjaZombie

18 minutes of gameplay. Looks like I'll have to get a PS4.

Also, it's about time NPC were procedurally generated. I've always wondered why GTA, for example, never tried solving the problem of clones around the city with a solution similar to procedural generation.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

Looks truly staggering. I watched the video in the post above the other day, and my mind was blown by the end bit. Literally as endless as real space. And to think you can explore ANY of those solar systems whizzing by :eek::eek::eek:

Nobody has mentioned it yet in this thread, but 65daysofstatic are doing the music. And they're the perfect choice. Please do check them out if you've never heard of them. Epic, instrumental music.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Looks truly staggering. I watched the video in the post above the other day, and my mind was blown by the end bit. Literally as endless as real space. And to think you can explore ANY of those solar systems whizzing by :eek::eek::eek:

Nobody has mentioned it yet in this thread, but 65daysofstatic are doing the music. And they're the perfect choice. Please do check them out if you've never heard of them. Epic, instrumental music.
The bolded part got my interest so I had to watch that video. That is truly staggering. I've never seen anything like that before. Not even close.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

The bolded part got my interest so I had to watch that video. That is truly staggering. I've never seen anything like that before. Not even close.
Glad I got your attention! Definitely worth it :)

Raptori

Special needs
Looks great. I saw some of the shorter trailers, and thought it looked like the exact kind of game I'd want to play, but the problem with those videos was that you didn't really get any sense of anything other than the world generation and the variety it gives. From that video, it looks like it'll be a hell of a lot of fun to play too. With this, Rime and The Last Guardian coming we'll actually have enough reason to get a PS4... :drool:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Im enjoying Elite Dangerous - but looking forward to No Mans Sky and Star Citizen as well - all slightly different takes but its good to see the genre making a bit of a return

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Looks cool how many planets there are, but it seems the actual gameplay is quite hollow.

I can't imagine that there will be enough varied things to do to keep me interested enough to reach the 'end'.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Comfortably the most interesting thing in gaming in the foreseeable future for me. No pressure :D

Raptori

Special needs
Looks cool how many planets there are, but it seems the actual gameplay is quite hollow.

I can't imagine that there will be enough varied things to do to keep me interested enough to reach the 'end'.
Did you ever play Spore? I played the space section of that for countless hours, even though there were a load of flaws that irritated me about it. This looks like a better version of that same scenario, without the flaws and with much more detail and stuff to do. It's still really hard to tell based on the videos they've shown though.