Gaming No Man's Sky | 25th May New FREE Update: Leviathan

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I tried it at the lunch but it felt very incomplete. How is it now? is it still goalless? Multiplayer works?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Been playing again for the first time in about 18 months, and it's back to being addictive. They've added a lot of good stuff.

Shark

@NotShark
VR is coming to NMS. This was the game I was waiting for to invest. :drool:

Ainu

VR is coming to NMS. This was the game I was waiting for to invest. :drool:

Free PSVR update, on top of the coming online multiplayer update, on top of all the updates they've already done. These guys were slaughtered at launch but fair play to them for their ongoing support. If there's anything that could get me into the game again, it's playing all of it in VR. It's probably the one thing I wanted the most in this game.

As far as I'm concerned, they've more than made up for their initial broken promises.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Free PSVR update, on top of the coming online multiplayer update, on top of all the updates they've already done. These guys were slaughtered at launch but fair play to them for their ongoing support. If there's anything that could get me into the game again, it's playing all of it in VR. It's probably the one thing I wanted the most in this game.

As far as I'm concerned, they've more than made up for their initial broken promises.
While that's true, it should have been how the game launched. So many rushed titles these days it really ruins great potential games. I doubt 10% of the people who bought it originally will still play it.

I wish studios/publishers would stop forcing games out early when it's clearly nowhere near ready or at it's full potential. Patches to fix things later isn't the answer.

Shark

@NotShark
Is there a large grind?
Only if you're into the base building side of things and want to upgrade your ship, suit ect. If you choose not to, you can completely ignore the resource gathering element and concentrate on exploration. It really is a wonderful game these days for just that, this game is made for VR.

Last edited:

Ainu

It sounds like it could be awesome, but is it really?
All hands-on previews I've seen or read were very positive, saying the sense of scale makes it an essential VR title. I have a PSVR at home and No Man's Sky sitting in my library so I can't wait to find out.

afrocentricity

Bump thread with VR impressions please. Can't play until this evening...

Shark

@NotShark
Haven't bought a PSVR headset set, but this is the game that will have me buy it if impressions are good.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So I've not followed this game at all since its release... Is this now a completely different game to the one that was crucified when it was launched?

Ainu

Yes and no, I would say. If you didn't enjoy the main gameplay loop of going system to system, exploring planets and mining stuff to craft a bunch of other stuff, I think you're still not going to enjoy the game. But it's far more feature-rich, including online multiplayer with missions, improvements to base-building (itself added in one of the earlier updates) and loads of qualiy-of-life changes. The same gameplay loop as in the original release is still there but all of these additional features give it more purpose.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Anyone play this? Been considering getting it for a while, especially in light of all the updates. I kind of get the impression it's more fun to play with mates though?

afrocentricity

Right so I posted around for an hour or so in VR last night.... Graphics are rough. Anyone who had a PSVR will know what I mean. The VR implementation itself is top notch. Controls are fine, UI is good. If you want to know whether the VR version is good enough, it is that....

Taking off, leaving the atmospherea etc in VR is as great as you'd expect. But don't be expecting Farpoint graphics, and Blood and Truth gunplay. This is still NMS.

Great game to amble around in while half baked....

SmashedHombre

Just picked this up for £20 on Kinguin. Looks pretty cool so far. Wanted to drop in on a multiplayer session though but there didn't seem to be any in the list. Is that normal? I assumed there's be loads.

Shark

@NotShark
Right so I posted around for an hour or so in VR last night.... Graphics are rough. Anyone who had a PSVR will know what I mean. The VR implementation itself is top notch. Controls are fine, UI is good. If you want to know whether the VR version is good enough, it is that....

Taking off, leaving the atmospherea etc in VR is as great as you'd expect. But don't be expecting Farpoint graphics, and Blood and Truth gunplay. This is still NMS.

Great game to amble around in while half baked....
I've read enough posts like this one and watched enough videos to decide I'll probably wait until either I get a high end PC/or PS5 to jump into VR. A game like this should really be blowing people away in VR, but it just doesn't seem to be there yet?

afrocentricity

I've read enough posts like this one and watched enough videos to decide I'll probably wait until either I get a high end PC/or PS5 to jump into VR. A game like this should really be blowing people away in VR, but it just doesn't seem to be there yet?
No it's blowing people away. Try it it's only 16 quid at the moment. The VR is next level.... believe me. But.....

It's still NMS so not for everyone,
And the shortcomings are that much more obvious in the face of what we have and the possibilities...

Apparently there's no pro patch yet, and they are patching it frequently. I love it though, after playing with it further.

Tip: DS4 for vehicles and Moves for everything else.

Shark

@NotShark
No it's blowing people away. Try it it's only 16 quid at the moment. The VR is next level.... believe me. But.....

It's still NMS so not for everyone,
And the shortcomings are that much more obvious in the face of what we have and the possibilities...

Apparently there's no pro patch yet, and they are patching it frequently. I love it though, after playing with it further.

Tip: DS4 for vehicles and Moves for everything else.
Yeah I have the game and really like it, it’s the PSVR that I’ll need to invest in and I’ve only the base PS4. So it’s worth investing then? They’re currently going at €160 2nd hand, at Gamestop.

afrocentricity

Yeah I have the game and really like it, it’s the PSVR that I’ll need to invest in and I’ve only the base PS4. So it’s worth investing then? They’re currently going at €160 2nd hand, at Gamestop.
I'm always gonna say yes.... best gaming purchase since ps1 (for me). Ask around though....

Kaos

Really interested in the VR, but I’d be getting in on PC. Trouble is I don’t want to have to remortgage my house to buy one of the better pc VR headsets (my eyesight is shite and I personally don’t want to bother with low res VR).

afrocentricity

Really interested in the VR, but I’d be getting in on PC. Trouble is I don’t want to have to remortgage my house to buy one of the better pc VR headsets (my eyesight is shite and I personally don’t want to bother with low res VR).
Well res is gonna be low across the board with these headsets so maybe try them out? Won't be seeing high res VR for a few years.

Valve Index and Vive Pro seem to be at the top of the pile though. A grand give or take...

Ainu

They really nailed the Move controls in VR. Opening a holographic menu on your left wrist and then pointing at the different options with your right controller just feels so perfectly sci-fi. It turns inventory management, usually one of the most tedious things in video games, into something that feels completely natural.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Those Destiny raids back in the day would have been crazy in VR. Those jumping puzzles ;)
Ugh. Going up against Crota would have been great though.

They really nailed the Move controls in VR. Opening a holographic menu on your left wrist and then pointing at the different options with your right controller just feels so perfectly sci-fi. It turns inventory management, usually one of the most tedious things in video games, into something that feels completely natural.
Sounds cool but heard there's no option to change it so it is the other way around for those who are left handed. Hopefully they'll implement that at some point.

Kaos

Well res is gonna be low across the board with these headsets so maybe try them out? Won't be seeing high res VR for a few years.

Valve Index and Vive Pro seem to be at the top of the pile though. A grand give or take...
Yeah that’s the thing, I don’t feel like forking out for something the price of a gaming PC, especially as there aren’t any other titles on VR that excite me.

Maybe when/if Star Citizen is eventually released.

SmashedHombre

I have no idea what I'm doing or what I'm supposed to do in this game.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Have been interested in this game for ages but have yet to buy it - might actually get it once i get paid if it's well discounted.