Gaming No Man's Sky | 25th May New FREE Update: Leviathan

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I just literally meander from place to place doing whatever I feel like. I have a few quests on the go but honestly the free form nature of this game lends itself well to VR. I do wonder how impressed I'd be if I only played it in normal mode... Who knows...

Think I've already said it, but playing this baked with Spotify going is bliss. Shame I don't have more time...

Yeah that’s the thing, I don’t feel like forking out for something the price of a gaming PC, especially as there aren’t any other titles on VR that excite me.

Maybe when/if Star Citizen is eventually released.
I hear ya. If you have a PS4 just grab PSVR, play all the good stuff and then sell it.... Hell of a lot more affordable (not as good obv) and good enough for now, imo.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I play alone, I don't have VR and I'm not interested in the online version.
Mainly focused on exploring and wandering and a bit disappointed with the latest version.
The planets/systems/galactic regions remain basically the same.
You see a cold planet and you see them all, and the same with the flora and landscape of one radiated or suffocating.
If I have to spend hours and hours doing a base I prefer to play Minecraft.
The crafting system, the amount of materials, formulas, etc. remains equally cumbersome
and interactions with other races equally tedious.
Once you cultivate and get a good ship, it makes little sense to mine the planets or trade/accumulate gek relics

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Have you fixed your ship, or are you just generally stuck for things to do?
I've repaired my ship. That's about all I've done. I tried to go to a new planet but got destroyed by an enemy fleet. Haven't picked it up since tbh.

Shark

@NotShark
Holy shit, what a redemption story this truly is. I think this is the update they've been working on in the backround since launch.

Ainu

These guys are insane, those patch notes! Time to give it another go, but I'm sure I'll just get overwhelmed.

Shark

@NotShark
These guys are insane, those patch notes! Time to give it another go, but I'm sure I'll just get overwhelmed.
Seeing as the first planet you land on may have a giant worm coming out of the ground or volcanoes, I think we're all going to be!

afrocentricity

Platinum'd this the other day as well, guess I'm going back in....

afrocentricity

I've got the Plat but missing these three for the hundo

Yeah that last one is gonna be tough, I was trying to make my way to the center in survival last time I played. Visit one of my bases for the first one mate.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Yeah that last one is gonna be tough, I was trying to make my way to the center in survival last time I played. Visit one of my bases for the first one mate.
Thanks. I'll hit you up next time we're both on PS4 (got a feeling I need to redownload the game as I might have had to reformat everything since due to accidentally turning the power off without shutting the console down first).

At least with the latest changes things should be even more fun (if harder due to damn sandworms and shit).

Irwin99

I ignored this game at launch as I listened to everyone saying how bad it was and I didn't fancy taking a 40 pound chance on it but it appears now they've patched a lot of good things into the game? What were the core problems at launch that have been fixed? All I remember is people saying how grindy it was.

afrocentricity

Thanks. I'll hit you up next time we're both on PS4 (got a feeling I need to redownload the game as I might have had to reformat everything since due to accidentally turning the power off without shutting the console down first).

At least with the latest changes things should be even more fun (if harder due to damn sandworms and shit).
Yeah holla at me. Suppose it'll be huge update to download as well....

Shark

@NotShark
I ignored this game at launch as I listened to everyone saying how bad it was and I didn't fancy taking a 40 pound chance on it but it appears now they've patched a lot of good things into the game? What were the core problems at launch that have been fixed? All I remember is people saying how grindy it was.
They've pretty much delivered on everything now and they're not close to being finished. You may need to grind a tad bit at the beggining to get exploring the universe but once you're past that you don't need to grind unless you want to install some new equipment or craft a giant walking robot :) This latest update adds planetary diversity that's been long needed, must be the biggest one yet.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
They've pretty much delivered on everything now and they're not close to being finished. You may need to grind a tad bit at the beggining to get exploring the universe but once you're past that you don't need to grind unless you want to install some new equipment or craft a giant walking robot :) This latest update adds planetary diversity that's been long needed, must be the biggest one yet.
This could be the thing to get me back into it, the repetitive worlds just got tiring after a while. Just did the Outer Wilds though and it's got me back in the mood for some planet hopping.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Nice! its always good to jump back into this to find there are a whole load of changes & updates.

Irwin99

Thanks for the info. I'm very tempted to get it now and it's pretty cheap too. I'm hoping this will be another Total War Rome 2 where game is panned on release and i play it six years after everyone else for the first time and think it's great because of all the patches :D . Guess there's a lot to be said with just waiting a bit for some games these days.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Have to say they've done a remarkable job with this game considering the bad press it got on launch. Really turned out around.

Question though, I'm still not overly sure what the whole point of the game is? Like do you just to a planet and walk around a bit/collect stuff?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Played it a bit last night. Immediately was plonked on some radiation planet and died a few times before I knew wtf was going on. Slowly got to grips with it though but also having the same thoughts as AN! Not sure what the point is but I guess until I get bored of exploring planets that's not too much of an issue.

Hammerfell

Have to say they've done a remarkable job with this game considering the bad press it got on launch. Really turned out around.

Question though, I'm still not overly sure what the whole point of the game is? Like do you just to a planet and walk around a bit/collect stuff?
Yes.

Shark

@NotShark

The great thing about the game is you can create your own purpose and do pretty much anything at your own pace. Great game to play after a stressful day at work or whatnot.

Shark

@NotShark
Played it a bit last night. Immediately was plonked on some radiation planet and died a few times before I knew wtf was going on. Slowly got to grips with it though but also having the same thoughts as AN! Not sure what the point is but I guess until I get bored of exploring planets that's not too much of an issue.
You'll be addicted before ya know it.

Damien

Staff
Yeah, you can choose whether you want to settle on a planet and build a massive base, or just go from place to place constantly upgrading ships and head towards the centre of the universe.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah, you can choose whether you want to settle on a planet and build a massive base, or just go from place to place constantly upgrading ships and head towards the centre of the universe.
I'm a sucker for base building. Is it good?

Some games make it too hard like The Forest and others make it too simple where you just pick a style and plonk it somewhere.

Damien

Staff
I'm a sucker for base building. Is it good?

Some games make it too hard like The Forest and others make it too simple where you just pick a style and plonk it somewhere.
Been ages since I last played so don't know if stuff has changed but I thought it was good. Not played The Forest so can't compare it but there are loads of options. You can have parking for your ship, areas for traders, lights, walls (metal, wood etc), generators, portals, tables, plants, vault to store materials in etc. Obviously you have to get the materials first to build stuff.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just purchased it.

Really interested to play this through. I love the art design. Colourful and not so ultra-realistic, has that Syd Mead, Rob Cobb (RIP) and Chris Foss style about it ,which has always intrigued me, but I was initially put off by the underwhelming reviews and the unfinished feeling surrounding the game.

Good to see the development team continue in their determination and aspirations in getting this game to look and play how they initially wanted it to be.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So I’ve just found out that its random and nobody else starts on the same radiation hellhole planet that I’ve started on? :lol:

I have a base now and I’ve gotten to the space station but man trying to get far enough exploring the planet without dying has been tough. Now I hear some people start on completely normal planets with nothing trying to kill them :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also how do I only use a certain amount of a material? I want to charge my biofuel reactor but only for like a minute or so. Only option seems to be to add all 146 of my carbon.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Also how do I only use a certain amount of a material? I want to charge my biofuel reactor but only for like a minute or so. Only option seems to be to add all 146 of my carbon.
I've still not played the newest update so it might have changed, but carbon's a very easy resource to get - just laser any plant life, the bigger the better. 146 isn't a lot.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
So I’ve just found out that its random and nobody else starts on the same radiation hellhole planet that I’ve started on? :lol:

I have a base now and I’ve gotten to the space station but man trying to get far enough exploring the planet without dying has been tough. Now I hear some people start on completely normal planets with nothing trying to kill them :lol:
I started on a radiation planet too. Had to build up my ship again.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So I’ve settled for now on a planet called Yarasil R16.

It’s first I’ve found that’s even slightly habitable. It has grass and water but is a bit overgrown and mountainous. Currently trying to upgrade my inventory but struggling to find the things needed to fix the machine. I left the exo suit machine to go back to my base and put metals through the refiner but then I didn’t have the way marker to go back? Is there not a way to pin things to return to them at a later time? What are those things where it says area discovered? I can never seem to find a planet map.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There was the overview scanner thing I did on my first mission (repairing my ship) which I cant seem to do now.

Overall this game is far more involved than I thought it was.
I have to use my brain on this one.