No midfield reinforcements

Eric's Seagull

I could be wrong, but I think people overrate Lukakus scoring abilities.
He went nearly a thousand minutes without a goal at old Trafford last season.
He went 2 and a half months without scoring which is not good enough. Didn't realise it was nearly 1000 minutes which is dread awful for a striker for a top team.

SAFMUTD

We are one injury away to have a middle table midfield. This is going to be a disaster.

The Uncle of All Uncles

I hope to see an improvement by Fred this year as he really has been a shocking let-down to date. £50m was spent on him and that's a huge figure, even in today's bloated transfer market. He has to be used correctly according to his strengths, and also be coached to minimize mistakes and gel with the team around him.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

:( Go forbid Pogba gets injured as this is our midfield going into the new season.

0le

You said we have Lukaku’s replacement in Greenwood. Whatever you may think of Lukaku he is a 20 goal a season striker. There is very little chance Greenwood will get anywhere near those figures at this stage in his career.
Feck sake, what a tool you are, you are putting words into peoples mouths and then talking shit about said words..

Greenwood was promoted. It doesn't mean I think he will score 20 goals.

Josep Dowling

Feck sake, what a tool you are, you are putting words into peoples mouths and then talking shit about said words..

Greenwood was promoted. It doesn't mean I think he will score 20 goals.
You said Lukaku has been replace by Greenwood. You’re the fecking tool if you think that’s a decent swap.

Fer

Eriksen for 60m would have been a big improvement in our midfield.

Does anyone have an idea how much is earning Eriksen per week and how much is earning Fred?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Where did I say I thought Greenwood would get 20 goals? You have written several sentences arguing a point which basically no one has disagreed with.
You said that Greenwood was Lukaku's replacement. Replacement means doing what Lukaku did and that's score a number of goals.

meninred

All the players that i see seem to me like Watford midfielders.

SCJY

You said that Greenwood was Lukaku's replacement. Replacement means doing what Lukaku did and that's score a number of goals.
In fairness, no it doesn't. You can't just do an apple for apple replacement like that, but Greenwood brings a hell of a lot more to the team in other ways than goal, such as mobility and movement, contributing to attacks, making space and creating chances for other attackers. Lukaku is a flat track bully and never once scored against a top-6 team. He was shite.

He might have been top scorer in the team while he was here, but I think he was expected to score at least twice as many goals as his record and transfer fee suggests, so by almost every account, he was an abysmal failure here. Thank God he is gone.

0le

You said Lukaku has been replace by Greenwood. You’re the fecking tool if you think that’s a decent swap.
Let me break it down for you two.

When a player is replaced by another player, it does not necessarily mean the new player must fulfil all the functions of the outgoing player. Did anyone expect Valencia, who effectively replaced Ronaldo, to score 30+ goals a season? Do you think Fergie expected this? Its just means he fills a position in the first team vacated by the outgoing player. To replace the goals lost by Lukaku, you either buy/promote someone who can score those twenty goals, or you change the way you play, or you change tactics and expect other plays to improve their goal scoring return. It seems Ole has done the latter. In other words, Ole has changed how United play, Ole will probably expect 5 goals from Greenwood, and he will expect Martial and Rashford to contribute more goals.

Snow

In fairness, no it doesn't. You can't just do an apple for apple replacement like that, but Greenwood brings a hell of a lot more to the team in other ways than goal, such as mobility and movement, contributing to attacks, making space and creating chances for other attackers. Lukaku is a flat track bully and never once scored against a top-6 team. He was shite.

He might have been top scorer in the team while he was here, but I think he was expected to score at least twice as many goals as his record and transfer fee suggests, so by almost every account, he was an abysmal failure here. Thank God he is gone.
Read what I wrote. I didn't say I expected him to score Lukaku's tally. I expected him to replace some goals (assuming I'd count him as a replacement). He won't, i.e. he won't be a replacement.

RooneyLegend

Who cares. Pogba does neither and is our best midfielder by a country mile. De Gea does neither and is probably the best goalkeeper out there. You think just because someone is foreign and cares more about his own wellbeing than about Manchester United he won't perform? You think Ronaldo cared for us, Madrid or Juventus more than about himself? I couldn't give a rats about that. Just because we were unlucky with Di Maria it doesn't mean this happens all the time. Sanchez failed because he is finished not because he is a mercenary.
Its absolute madness for people to think signing inexperienced gambles is the way forward cause they care or some stupid nonsense. I wonder how City got this good signing mercenaries who dont care for their club.

We only have 4 midfielders how are we supposed to stretch that over 4 competitions? I'm worried.

Eric's Seagull

I hope to see an improvement by Fred this year as he really has been a shocking let-down to date. £50m was spent on him and that's a huge figure, even in today's bloated transfer market. He has to be used correctly according to his strengths, and also be coached to minimize mistakes and gel with the team around him.
We need a good season out of Fred. He has no excuses now. He has to do it this year or he can leave next summer as well.

Snow

Let me break it down for you two.

When a player is replaced by another player, it does not necessarily mean the new player must fulfil all the functions of the outgoing player. Did anyone expect Valencia, who effectively replaced Ronaldo, to score 30+ goals a season? Do you think Fergie expected this? Its just means he fills a position in the first team vacated by the outgoing player. To replace the goals lost by Lukaku, you either buy/promote someone who can score those twenty goals, or you change the way you play, or you change tactics and expect other plays to improve their goal scoring return. It seems Ole has done the latter.
Try to town down on being so patronizing.

Replacing the nr. 1 goalscorer means bringing in a player that is expected to score a lot of goals. It's not like replacing Ronaldo, a player that played several positions over his course here. By selling Lukaku we need to bring in a player that supplements those goals. You said Greenwood was his replacement which suggests that you expect Greenwood to bring in goals.

Instead of responding with such behavior try and be more clear to begin with than suggesting a 17 year old with no experience is in any way a replacement for one of our and the world's most expensive players ever.

Roboc7

It’s hard to understand how or why this has been allowed to happen. I suspect we will spend all season rotating and changing formation to try and find something that works.

The Mata, Pogba and Mctominay lineup from preseason will be exposed straight away and we’ll get outplayed in midfield in a very high percentage of games.

nyanza

It's ok, we're keeping Rojo so far so the DM is sorted.

Edit: Offers shouldn't even be considered but can you actually imagine the state of that midfield with Pogba leaving? It will genuinely be bottom half stuff.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
We only have 4 midfielders how are we supposed to stretch that over 4 competitions? I'm worried.
well by the looks of it, we are planning on playing 4231 and we have 5 centre midfielders likely to be in the first team squad Matic, Pogba, Mctominay, Fred and Pereira. Plus we have Garner who we probably want to start giving game time.

So just in numbers 6 players for two positions, or even 3 is completely fine. you can argue quality, but numbers wise where ok.

Canagel

Especially if we play 4-3-3. The 4-2-3-1 is not sustainable because the number 10 (Mata/Lingard) won't score and create enough goals and it's probably going to be ditched immediately. We needed someone like Fernandes, Dybala or Eriksen to play with the double pivot and 10.

0le

Try to town down on being so patronizing.

Replacing the nr. 1 goalscorer means bringing in a player that is expected to score a lot of goals. It's not like replacing Ronaldo, a player that played several positions over his course here. By selling Lukaku we need to bring in a player that supplements those goals. You said Greenwood was his replacement which suggests that you expect Greenwood to bring in goals.

Instead of responding with such behavior try and be more clear to begin with than suggesting a 17 year old with no experience is in any way a replacement for one of our and the world's most expensive players ever.
No, its your expectation. Other people may not share that expectation.

Water Melon

Really praying for Fred to step it up big time. Is Garner still extremely raw?

Revan

Assumptionman
Pogba, McTominay, Pereira, Fred and Matic. I guess there are 5.

We need to play a midfield two with this collection of midfielders.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Mods should add an option not to mute someone, but to flag them so that you know they should be ignored/abused

Not because of the points OP’s raising, mind, but because of the level of whinging. It’s just pathetic. We’ve bought who we’ve bought and we have a better squad than we did last season, just shut up. Glazers and Woodward need to go but how many threads man?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Mods should add an option not to mute someone, but to flag them so that you know they should be ignored/abused

Not because of the points OP’s raising, mind, but because of the level of whinging. It’s just pathetic. We’ve bought who we’ve bought and we have a better squad than we did last season, just shut up. Glazers and Woodward need to go but how many threads man?

This is so wrong Considering we’ve lost our main goal scorer threat in Lukaku and not replaced Herrera I’d say we are much weaker.

A couple of injuries to key players and our squad is bottom half of table standard.at this point we are just hoping that rashford and martial can actually step up.

JMack1234

Shocking.

If/when Pogba gets an injury we're in massive trouble come what may.

Then, we're relying on Fred to come good for us, Mctominay to step up and become a top DM, Andreas to find consistency and fill when we need it. Oh and then Gomes to come good for us and push into the first team squad.

If any of these don't happen we've had it.

BlueHaze

Heard multiple times Thomas Partey has a £40m clause and we didn't try.

Dread Devil

This is the most worrisome part of the team and it has been for years...It could be our biggest problem this year.

I am happy with defense and attack (not too worried about not replacing Lukaku, he is a very good striker but not a great footballer). I am much more worried about Pereira and Fred...I think Pereira is good at deadball situations / shooting and could be very effective but not convinced.. one injury or a massive bid for Pogba and we will be in big trouble...

Last edited:

Water Melon

I find it unusual that we signed a midfielder for £50M who scored 17 goals in 7 years.
I do not care about the number of goals he scored. I am just hooing that he can be a solid functional #6 or #8. Ironically, I am more confident in McT rather than Fred.