No, pelanties are not lottery is not untrue

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's only luck if it doesn't go in

MuFc_1992

I don't know whether it's a lottery but if it goes deep into sudden death, I'd much rather have defenders like Ramos and Pique in my side instead of Jones and Smalling.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's like playing cards. Only amateur would think it's down to luck, to win or lose.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Are you serious right now? It's the comma that's bothering you? Or what? I seriously don't understand what's wrong with the original thread title. It was as clear as it gets. What if we have a conversation like this:

- Do you want to watch a film tonight?
- No, I don't.

Do you consider the answer a "bad sentence"? Should it just be "I don't?" Or "No. I don't."? Or what?
What are you on about?

Firstly, it says pelanties not penalties.

Secondly, why would you reverse the the phrase you’re disputing and then add a double negative after it?

He is questioning the correctness of the fact people say “penalties are a lottery”. Why then reverse that, saying “penalties are not a lottery” and then say that is not untrue?

The structure of the second part of the title doesn’t match the “No,” it starts with.

It’s a terrible thread title.

Not that I care, I can see English isn’t his first language so that’s fine and whatever. But you clearly speak English fine yet you’re coming out with this nonsense :lol:

Edit: it seems the title was edited. Now my mind is totally fecked :lol:

TheGodsInRed

It’s like poker part odds and part skill.

If a particular teams players have a 60% chance or each scoring their penalty based on the skill they have and mental conditioning. 5.4/1 chance of them all scoring.
Then the other team have a 55% chance per penalty of scoring, who wins? 6.4/1 chance of them all scoring.

If you’re a coach you have to try and maximise your teams odds of winning, but there is a good chance you will still lose.

buchansleftleg

For me the 50/50 thing is that a single shot from the penalty spot is a fairly binary thing, that does not need any particular talent to achieve. you either score or you don't

So if you are a massive underdog in a match you will hunker down, defend and hope for penalties as this represents more of a chance to win than if you went toe to toe with the opposition.

It would be interesting if we adopted something like the old Ice hockey one of picking the ball up at the base of the centre circle and running towards goal - something more like a "one-on one" situation. Then the skill level of the attacker and goalkeeper would be more to the fore.

I wonder if this would encourage underdog teams to play more in the match as players with a higher skill level would be better at this than penalties?

Alfie092

Majority of it is skill but there is some luck involved too. If a player has set his mind on going for the keepers top right hand corner with so much power and accuracy, majority of the time he would score if on target. But there could be a small chance that a keeper would set his mind on diving quickly enough to reach out to the very same top right hand corner before the penalty is even taken and save it. So the keeper 'guessed' the right way but then you can say the keeper did his research...

kthanksbye

I think it's called luck because even the best of the players can be feeling nervous or slip or mishit a shot, resulting in a penalty miss.
Becks was one of the best dead ball strikers in the world, yet he fluffed a couple of penalties in his career, would you say Becks has a bad technique? Did he get nervous, or did he just slip/fluff his shot? Perhaps just unlucky then. And given the fact that one miss could decide the outcome, I don't think it's far-fetched to say that there's a lot of luck involved.

Having said that, I do agree that there's nothing lucky about taking a good penalty.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There is a very good book on that matter — "Twelve Yards. The Art and Psychology of the Perfect Penalty Kick". And no, it's not a lottery. He even explains why England are so bad at penalties.

Eriku

There is a very good book on that matter — "Twelve Yards. The Art and Psychology of the Perfect Penalty Kick". And no, it's not a lottery. He even explains why England are so bad at penalties.
Would you care to summarise the book’s findings in a sentence?

ROFLUTION

It's for added emphasis. It's a perfectly good sentence. It conveys a slight exasperation with the idea that penalties are down to pure luck and strongly rejects it.
Its so perfect that I had to read it 4 times and clicked the thread to make some sense out of it :eek:

Edit: Was hoping for a Fontaine sort of drunken-post really :lol:

Siorac

Its so perfect that I had to read it 4 times and clicked the thread to make some sense out of it :eek:

Edit: Was hoping for a Fontaine sort of drunken-post really :lol:
Again, thread title has been edited since that post.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Some daft comments on here, penalties are a lottery to a certain extent. Before one is even taken pressure comes into it, then there is if the keeper goes the right way. Penalties are all in the keepers hands simply because he has to start his dive before the taker strikes the ball. If a keeper decides to go to a top corner there is very little a taker can do about it as the keeper is there before the ball is. I hate when people say when a player rolls the ball down the middle “oh that’s a cool penalty”. It’s bollocks if the keeper choose to just stand there people would be saying it was a shit penalty. Obviously the players who can accurately hit the inside side netting consistently have a particular skill and the lottery idea is removed but that’s not many players skill level.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
So if both teams keep hitting to the top corner, what happens then?
It’s a bollocks argument made up by people who think players can hit the exact place they want to hit in the goal, if hat was true strikers would have a 100% strike rate, in reality they don’t.

Jev

It's definitely less of a lottery than the completely arbitrary away goals rule, which should be scrapped as it makes no sense.

I love penalty shootouts. The tension and excitement is unparalleled. I don't know why they get such a bad rep. We've seen a team exit the WC this year because they had gotten more yellow cards than another team. And penalty shootouts are supposed to be unfair?

SirAF

Ageist
It's definitely less of a lottery than the completely arbitrary away goals rule, which should be scrapped as it makes no sense.

I love penalty shootouts. The tension and excitement is unparalleled. I don't know why they get such a bad rep. We've seen a team exit the WC this year because they had gotten more yellow cards than another team. And penalty shootouts are supposed to be unfair?
Completely agree! There’s no way that shootouts are unfair, that’s a load of bollocks.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Harry kane must be luckiest player in the world. 4 pens in a row. What are the odds?

Pagh Wraith

Am I only the one who finds it absolutely mind-boggling how professional teams at this stage approach penalties? Starting with Modric giving the first penalty to Russia (when historically 60% of the teams going first win for obvious reasons), his third terrible penalty in a row to the efforts of some of the others. Even Rakitic's was absolute garbage, he was just hoping the goalkeeper would go the other way. Hit it in the top left or right corner for Christ's sake. It's like they don't do any preparation.

alsabi

Am I only the one who finds it absolutely mind-boggling how professional teams at this stage approach penalties? Starting with Modric giving the first penalty to Russia (when historically 60% of the teams going first win for obvious reasons), his third terrible penalty in a row to the efforts of some of the others. Even Rakitic's was absolute garbage, he was just hoping the goalkeeper would go the other way. Hit it in the top left or right corner for Christ's sake. It's like they don't do any preparation.
Interestingly, in all four shootouts at this World Cup so far the team taking the first penalty has lost.

RedDevils23

Commentator here mentioned that every team that has taken a penalty first in this tournament, ended up losing. Maybe they knew that stat going into the shootout