No right winger

Jev

Nani's contribution to the club is being criminally underrated by many on here. The guy had at least a couple of season where he was one of the three best wingers in the league.

That said, apart from the obvious candidates (Mahrez, Mane, Bale etc.), I think Deulofeu could be worth a look. Barkley and Lukaku are taking all the plaudits because they're scoring all the goals but in many games Deulofeu has been Everton's most dangerous player. To think they didn't even pay 5 million for him this summer.

jem

To be honest sounds like the opposite is true, people forget that Nani wasn't very good and was regularly torn apart on the Caf and rightly so.
So you're telling me he wasnt very good in the second half of 2009-10, that he wasnt arguably our best player in our title-winning team the following season, and that he wasnt good the following season?

diarm

How many great right wingers are out there? It seems to me like the whole football world is more left leaning these days. Left backs and left sided attackers are far more plentiful than on the right.

Blackwidow

How many great right wingers are out there? It seems to me like the whole football world is more left leaning these days. Left backs and left sided attackers are far more plentiful than on the right.
It is because inside wingers got fashion with the 433 or when teams gave up 2 striker systems. And there is less leftfoots for the right.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Hard to find good inverted right-wingers. The left wing is stocked with inverted wingers like Neymar, Hazard, Reus, Sanchez, Ronaldo, Ribery, Martial(?). All of them can cut in with their right foot. Mané could probably play that left wing too although I'm not sure if Southampton uses him that way. The ultimate inverted right-winger is Robben. Then you have Mahrez, Messi, Bale(?). Douglas Costa by the way has been doing great on the left wing when he played there so 'classic wingers' aren't necessarily dead but there are very few of them.

diarm

It is because inside wingers got fashion with the 433 or when teams gave up 2 striker systems. And there is less leftfoots for the right.
That makes sense. We need to see a couple of those little lefty geniuses from the old days again. When I was growing up it felt like every side had one - a small tricky fella with a rocket of a left foot on him.

Alfie092

Who here thinks playing an inverted winger on the left (Memphis if we stick with him or another quality signing if we made one like a Reus, Ribery, Neymar - not saying we will get them) and playing a 'traditional' winger on the right like Mane would work out?

Seems to have worked with Bayern but the thing is playing a right footed player on the right means they are pretty much limited to what they could do, hence why inverted wingers are in fashion as they are able to be more involved in the game. So you need a traditional winger with pinpoint crossing ability and pace to stretch defences. May I also add being fairly strong with their left foot would also be very important IMO, as they would be able to cut inside and spray some passes cross-field and maybe even have a pop on goal once in a while. I cannot think of any player in the world off the top of my head who can do all that though :confused: so maybe I'm asking for too much!

Valencia was pretty damn effective in his first 2-3 seasons at United on the right wing, even without his left foot :lol: he had very good crosses, mainly the drilled cross and had pace and strength to beat his man. He even chipped in with 6/7 goals a season, which is not the greatest but not the worst, combined with the fact he has good defensive workrate.

RikRuud

Unfortunately top class wingers seem to be a dying breed. I loved watching Vicente and Joaquin flying down the wing for Valencia in their prime. I think the main factor to why we don't see these kind of players much anymore is the fact that most top teams have moved away from 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 to the 4-2-3-1 formation. We have seen a huge influx of the #10 player and top teams seem to be full of them and more often than not rely on the fullbacks fOr width.

stevoc

We have Young who is right footed and a winger. Problem solved.

Sylar

Young or Lingard.

Im still adamant Januzaj has had his best (most productive) games starting from the left for us.

Our big problem is the lack of balance, if were playing 433, we kinda need the two helping out the striker to be Robben/Duff types who can contribute goals. If its 4231, we need the 3 to be able to float and interchange. If its 442, we need the 2 wingers to be able to cross / beat a man. I honestly have no idea what were going for right now.

Fer

We have 2 fantastic left wingers/left wide forwards (Memphis-Martial). We need this talent on the right wing...
So which right winger would you sign?

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
We have 2 fantastic left wingers/left wide forwards (Memphis-Martial). We need this talent on the right wing...
Easy now. Memphis is far from a fantastic left winger right now. He destroyed a shit side and he was quite sensational vs Brugge too. Credit for that but nothing more at this point.

Brightonian

Memphis - not a winger on any side as he can't beat a man.
Hindsighting you like this is very bad form and totally unfair, and of course ripping apart one very inferior team doesn't prove anything... but this just caught my eye. Today he basically couldn't not beat his man.

bugmat

Hindsighting you like this is very bad form and totally unfair, and of course ripping apart one very inferior team doesn't prove anything... but this just caught my eye. Today he basically couldn't not beat his man.
Well he finally remembered how to..or speaking to Giggs is working!

RedDevil@84

We dont have 2 fantastic LW.. Memphis is a so-so player for us till date. One match here and there doesn't make him awesome.

Fer

Is there a better right winger than Mahrez that we could sign?

NoPace

Is there a better right winger than Mahrez that we could sign?
My guess is Citeh will sign one of Mahrez or Sane from Schalke and they'll have CL football, Guardiola and higher wages to offer. If Griezmann moves he's a 3rd promising option, though I wonder if he he'll have a better mid to late 20s playing centrally, because losing a yard would make playing out wide tough.

There's certainly more options out there, but Sane and Mahrez look like the safest bets based on age and production.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
To have a player like Lingard on the right wing is criminal and Mata is not a right winger (question is if he should even start games). We need someone new badly

Fer

To have a player like Lingard on the right wing is criminal and Mata is not a right winger (question is if he should even start games). We need someone new badly
Totally agree. We definitely need a quality right winger next season. I hope LVG rotates Januzaj with Lingard for the remaining of the season.

NJM78

I'd be playing Januzaj over Lingard personally (obviously cup tied in Europa), he may think he wants to be a number 10 but for me he always looks most impressive on either flank, just like he did in his breakthrough season. Lingard is poor and Mata an even worse option there.

Long term I really want Mahrez but I believe he will stay with Leicester and play in the CL before moving on the following year.

stevoc

Yeah to have played most of this season with Mata and Lingard at RW is a joke.

I only wish we had had a few decent wingers on the books last year like i don't know Di Maria or Nani.. if only.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He was very good at times but not first choice United good the majority of it, and that was the problem. We still need to keep our standards as high. No pun intended.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'd be playing Januzaj over Lingard personally (obviously cup tied in Europa), he may think he wants to be a number 10 but for me he always looks most impressive on either flank, just like he did in his breakthrough season. Lingard is poor and Mata an even worse option there.

Long term I really want Mahrez but I believe he will stay with Leicester and play in the CL before moving on the following year.
I'm really liking Lingaard. Obviously he is not in the same calibre as previous great United wingers, and not a traditional winger in any sense, but I'm still liking him a lot.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If rumours are to believed we have already agreed a deal with Felipe Anderson who is a very talented right winger who would work very well with an atacking full back.

Thisistheone

Sane, Mane, Mahrez, Anderson are the usual names but i've seen us linked with Bernarderschi from Fiorentina. It'll probably be someone none of us have even thought of, similar to the Martial signing.

stevoc

could we even sign Mahrez - I imagine he will be getting big money offers from lots of clubs and many of them with CL football and probably better climates as well.
He will be getting a load of offers no doubt, but for the time being at least there are only 2-3 clubs in europe who could match the salary we could offer.

And 9 times out of 10 that is a major deciding factor.

stubie

Are we supposed to be looking at Rafa Silva from Braga?

Is he any good?

NJM78

From the extensive 2 minutes of the 5 minute trailer I watched he looks great. Plus anyone who still has Rafael Silva names on their old tops will be pleased.

AltiUn

Should try and get Silva from Monaco, he's mint, would cost a pretty penny though.

GloryHunter07

I wouldn't agree that Lingard is poor, but i would like to see Januzaj get a few opportunities on the wing.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
If rumours are to believed we have already agreed a deal with Felipe Anderson who is a very talented right winger who would work very well with an atacking full back.
I honestly don't rate him at all, so I'm hoping we aim much higher than that, especially for the prices being quoted for him.

Salah, who has been mentioned a few times on here, is a far superior player for instance.

Mahrez is quality too, but doubt we'd cough up the cash for him.

NJM78

I wouldn't agree that Lingard is poor, but i would like to see Januzaj get a few opportunities on the wing.
He's poor for me, got a goal in him though which is a plus and of course in our current state he is doing ok for us but I don't want to see him near our first team next season.

I'd put more stock in Januzaj as he has the obvious talent just not the application our attitude right now, it seems, although I do see him becoming a very good player.

AltiUn

He's poor for me, got a goal in him though which is a plus and of course in our current state he is doing ok for us but I don't want to see him near our first team next season.

I'd put more stock in Januzaj as he has the obvious talent just not the application our attitude right now, it seems, although I do see him becoming a very good player.
Think Januzaj would have had game time but every time he gets close he gets injured and he's back to square one in the reserves again which I feel is hindering him the most.