Film James Bond: No Time to Die

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Wait, didn't people say that about Captain Marvel though? That movie was going to flop because the main actress had some outspoken views on feminism and inclusion and people were going to boycott it. Couldn't go on YT without seeing dudes complaining about it. Made a shit ton of money at the box office nonetheless. A complete succes.
I watched CM but thought it was mediocre at best. A big part of that was because the lead character had all the charisma and personality of a brick. Similarly in the new Star Wars films, Rey is some ridiculously overpowered prodigy with zero weaknesses. Basically, it just seems like Hollywood is scared to make a female lead character with actual personality traits and flaws for fear of being branded sexist.

Going back to Bond 25, here are two of the snippets I have read;

there is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says “come in 007”, and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman
It’s a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he’s been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman
and

Bond, of course, is sexually attracted to the new female 007 and tries his usual seduction tricks, but is baffled when they don’t work on a brilliant, young black woman
Why do they need to specify in two of those quotes that she is black? Why is that relevant in the slightest?
These just do not make me optimistic for the premise at all. It sounds like it is going to be diversity rammed down your throat for the sake of diversity. It sounds like the new 007 is going to be another superwoman with no weaknesses and who dont need no man, just because they are too scared to write a realistic female character with weaknesses and vulnerabilities for fear of offending someone. I hope I am wrong.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
So at the start of BOND 25, Bond will be retired. This new 007 will replace him for a bit. Then Bond will be convinced to come back, again, and assume the role or something, again. Grand. Should have just ended with Skyfall - these movies have said everything they ever needed to.

edcunited1878

It's a bit confusing but more misleading...

James Bond isn't a female character, but as a few said, that's the catch for maximum reaction. 007 is a specific "00-agent" code name/reference which has always been identified previously as James Bond. But as we know, 00-agent classifications (i.e. 007) can be reused or someone can been 008, 0011, etc or retired.

So while James Bond is 'retired', his code name 007 is being re-assigned to a female character...which is totally fine, but it prompts confusion and misleading from those who don't know the details (which is important) and who don't know the exact reason/purpose (which is most of us for now until the movie or leaks become available).

edcunited1878

I watched CM but thought it was mediocre at best. A big part of that was because the lead character had all the charisma and personality of a brick. Similarly in the new Star Wars films, Rey is some ridiculously overpowered prodigy with zero weaknesses. Basically, it just seems like Hollywood is scared to make a female lead character with actual personality traits and flaws for fear of being branded sexist.

Going back to Bond 25, here are two of the snippets I have read;

and

Why do they need to specify in two of those quotes that she is black? Why is that relevant in the slightest?
These just do not make me optimistic for the premise at all. It sounds like it is going to be diversity rammed down your throat for the sake of diversity. It sounds like the new 007 is going to be another superwoman with no weaknesses and who dont need no man, just because they are too scared to write a realistic female character with weaknesses and vulnerabilities for fear of offending someone. I hope I am wrong.
All people, especially heroes, fictional or not always have flaws and weaknesses. It's how they overcome them or live with them and accept them for what they which makes them a hero amongst all else. Agree that if there are no flaws or weakness for the new 007 to overcome.

R'hllor

I dont know what Bond movie it was but watched it as a kid, it started with 006 or some other number being killed, since then always wondered about other 00s, wish they explored that part more, anybody could be 005/4 etc.

Ramos

I dont know what Bond movie it was but watched it as a kid, it started with 006 or some other number being killed, since then always wondered about other 00s, wish they explored that part more, anybody could be 005/4 etc.
That's Goldeneye.

Oldyella

Makes perfect sense to me as a plot point. Not sure why people are annoyed by this, always thought the 00 code names was an interesting plot point.

Problem comes if they make further movies after this. By asserting that Daniel Craig is James Bond(family home etc) it means that title cannot be a code name assigned to whoever is coded 007. Does this mean the next actor will just be the same name, similar to Jack Ryan for example?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Makes perfect sense to me as a plot point. Not sure why people are annoyed by this, always thought the 00 code names was an interesting plot point.

Problem comes if they make further movies after this. By asserting that Daniel Craig is James Bond(family home etc) it means that title cannot be a code name assigned to whoever is coded 007. Does this mean the next actor will just be the same name, similar to Jack Ryan for example?
Not really a problem considering that's what they've done 6 times already.

Oldyella

Not really a problem considering that's what they've done 6 times already.
Before Daniel Craig though, James Bond could easily have been the code name as much as 007. He just says thats his name and people believe him.

With these movies we have seen him earn the 00 classification, his family home, an old groundsman who recognised him etc.

They could just change it like Batman etc in same way as they have done previously, just wonder if they would need a reset, new M, Q etc, or would feel weird hes the only face that changes.

Oldyella

I'm not so sure about that. His dead wife (OHMSS) was alluded to numerous times throughout the series by various Bonds that came after.
Could all have just been really unlucky! :lol:

I didnt know that tbh. Invalidates my point.

SirAF

Ageist
Before Daniel Craig though, James Bond could easily have been the code name as much as 007. He just says thats his name and people believe him.

With these movies we have seen him earn the 00 classification, his family home, an old groundsman who recognised him etc.

They could just change it like Batman etc in same way as they have done previously, just wonder if they would need a reset, new M, Q etc, or would feel weird hes the only face that changes.
I think they’d most likely reboot after Craig.

No-one will watch anything new or interesting, so they need to piggy back on the intellectual property of something people already know. That said, I agree with you. In an ideal world, James Bond would stay as he is and people can watch that, and they’d make a new franchise with whoever they want and people can watch that too. I guess the issue is, they wouldn’t.
They did it with Jason Bourne and came up with something better than any Bond film. They just can't be bothered because Bond is a guaranteed cash cow and by shoehorning diversity into that they don't need to try as hard. They could write a new film with a female/black/whatever lead but it would have to stand on its own merits and Hollywood won't take that risk.

Personally i don't think it works because the audience knows it's too contrived with an all action female star.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
They did it with Jason Bourne and came up with something better than any Bond film. They just can't be bothered because Bond is a guaranteed cash cow and by shoehorning diversity into that they don't need to try as hard. They could write a new film with a female/black/whatever lead but it would have to stand on its own merits and Hollywood won't take that risk.

Personally i don't think it works because the audience knows it's too contrived with an all action female star.
I agree, Hollywood is very conservative and the last thing they’ll want to do is take a risk like that.

As for your second paragraph, it could well be that. It’s a little ridiculous watching 5 foot 2 women taking out numerous henchmen, but I think part of the issue comes with relatability. It’s almost as ridiculous watching Tom Cruise beating people up, but half the reason the male audience watch these films is, I would guess, to live through the main character vicariously. They want to imagine they are James Bond. A womanising secret agent who can take anyone on? Sounds great. I guess that doesn’t translate as well to women, who don’t necessarily fantasise about that, and therefore the audience see straight through it? I’m just speculating, but who knows?

Art Vandelay

They did it with Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde too, though I'm not sure how well that did. It was a pretty good film from what I remember, yet I don't think I've ever met anyone that's even heard of it. I'd watch a sequel.

It's all just utter bollocks at this point "LOOK A WOMAN!!" and screaming about "ists". What annoys me about it all is how the people crowing about breaking glass ceilings for women/minorities/whatever will wilfully ignore the characters that came before like they never existed. Especially in the sci fi genre, all this bollocks about Terminator is going to scare misogynists and people hate The Last Jedi because they couldn't handle a strong female lead and that's what Star Wars needs. They wilfully ignore that the people that love these franchises, the people they are trying to alienate and use as an excuse, the "straight white males" are the same people that grew up watching Ripley, Sarah Connor and Princess fecking Leia herself. The same people that will cheer when Carrie Fisher comes on screen. The "straight white males" that couldn't handle Captain Marvel were the same ones that flocked to see Wonder Woman. They probably went to see Tomb Raider back in the day.

Most people don't rally against female characters or minority characters(although obviously a small minority will). They turn on bad characters shoehorned in to score points in some mythical battle that's been invented by the people peddling this shite and Hollywood has latched onto this because 1. You can hide a bad film behind it and 2. It can score you so many points you might inexplicably get an OSCAR nomination for a fecking superhero film. It's all just wild nonsense. Shoehorning something in and then acting like you're fighting oppression is as see through as it gets and that's why they get the backlash.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Side note, but I watched Golden Eye for the first time earlier this year and I thought it was one of the most cringeworthy Bond films ever. The Russian accents in that movie were the faker than the shit in Austin Powers.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
They wilfully ignore that the people that love these franchises, the people they are trying to alienate and use as an excuse, the "straight white males" are the same people that grew up watching Ripley, Sarah Connor and Princess fecking Leia herself. The same people that will cheer when Carrie Fisher comes on screen. The "straight white males" that couldn't handle Captain Marvel were the same ones that flocked to see Wonder Woman. They probably went to see Tomb Raider back in the day.
These are weird examples to use. In one, the female 'lead' is not the lead of the movie, that was the jacked male action hero that was sent back in time to kill her and the whole point of the movie is that a second male character had to be sent to protect her otherwise she'd be fecked, and your other example is one where the only reason her character is even a thing that people care about is because they chained her up in a skimpy outfit and made her a literal slave and got a country of men lusting after her whilst she was a secondary character to the male leads.

These examples are not female leads, in the same vein as we're striving for today, and Wonder Woman which actually did it well was only released 2 years ago ffs. It was also set in a completely different time back in the world war and its attitudes towards women reflect the time like her being told what she can and can't wear, but she handles it well. This doesn't trigger the straight white males because it's easy to laugh at how backwards people were 80 years ago because hey, it wasn't us - right? In films like Captain Marvel, it reflects the actual attitude of people towards women today and that's what triggers the 'straight white males' who don't like hearing that the way they stereotypically behave is unacceptable. Its seen by them as an attack on them personally, because they don't want to think of themselves as abhorrent in how they behave.

2 man midfield

These are weird examples to use. In one, the female 'lead' is not the lead of the movie, that was the jacked male action hero that was sent back in time to kill her and the whole point of the movie is that a second male character had to be sent to protect her otherwise she'd be fecked, and your other example is one where the only reason her character is even a thing that people care about is because they chained her up in a skimpy outfit and made her a literal slave and got a country of men lusting after her whilst she was a secondary character to the male leads.
I think that’s doing her a disservice tbh.

As for your bit about Sarah Connor, isn’t that kind of her arc? That she starts off all meek and vulnerable and in the end becomes a badass?

Art Vandelay

These examples are not female leads, in the same vein as we're striving for today, and Wonder Woman which actually did it well was only released 2 years ago ffs. It was also set in a completely different time back in the world war and its attitudes towards women reflect the time like her being told what she can and can't wear, but she handles it well. This doesn't trigger the straight white males because it's easy to laugh at how backwards people were 80 years ago because hey, it wasn't us - right? In films like Captain Marvel, it reflects the actual attitude of people towards women today and that's what triggers the 'straight white males' who don't like hearing that the way they stereotypically behave is unacceptable. Its seen by them as an attack on them personally, because they don't want to think of themselves as abhorrent in how they behave.
Why do they need to be the lead? Why is that something to be strived for? Surely whatever sells should be what studios strive for? They aren't charities and they aren't here to improve humanity, they are there to sell films. This entire social justice angle is completely see through from them.

Leia was one of the leads and a huge character long before she was in the bikini, all you even saw of her skin in the first two films was her face and hands. People cheer Carrie Fisher now because she wore a bikini 30 years ago?

Oh Sarah Connor needed help against the scary robot man? Guess she's not a strong character then. It's not like she survived while Reese, everyone in the police station and everyone that met the Terminator died or then went through years of shit getting herself ready to essentially win a war by keeping John alive. All those men that tried to help her died while she survived. It's not like by the end of the film she's the only character left versus an animatronic robot which she killed, something everyone else failed to do. Characters needing help from men isn't a problem, it's not putting women down, by the end of T2 she had survived multiple Terminator attacks, kept John alive and ready for his future role, taken down Cyberdyne, gotten contacts in Mexico with weapons for the resistance and at the time had stopped the future threat. She's always going to be nothing but a ditzy waitress though, no character growth for Sarah. Should she have just used her sudden force powers to rescue herself? It was a sci fi horror she's supposed to be way out of her depth. It's called a story, just chucking someone in and having them do everything themselves is boring. That's when you end up with Rey, that's why people don't like Rey she's badly written. Imagine the indignity of playing second fiddle to one of the biggest action stars of all time in his most iconic role. Sarah Connor went from waitress to bad ass, no one complained, no one got threatened. People accepted the journey of the character. She remains a beloved character despite what they've done with the franchise.

Why does it only coming out 2 years ago mean anything? The people that grew up with all that other stuff grew up with the Wonder Woman tv show. If all of those "straight white men" that are so sexist avoided Wonder Woman then where did the sales come from? Everyone was ok with Wonder Woman because they had no guilt? Catch yourself on. Wonder Woman is a huge character and superheroes sell. She's one of the most popular and most powerful super heroes. The guilt of those bad white men has feck all to do with them going to see Wonder Woman.

What about Captain Marvel reflects how "straight white men" behave today? A single guy tries to chat her up badly and that justifies her stealing his motorbike and almost causing a traffic accident?

Throwing blanket statements over an entire race, gender and sexual preference isn't acceptable. Not only is it completely unfair on the people being villainised but it marginalizes the voices of anyone that didn't like the film who doesn't fit that bill.

Last edited:

Zarlak

Why do they need to be the lead? Why is that something to be strived for? Surely whatever sells should be what studios strive for? They aren't charities and they aren't here to improve humanity, they are there to sell films. This entire social justice angle is completely see through from them.

Leia was one of the leads and a huge character long before she was in the bikini, all you even saw of her skin in the first two films was her face and hands. People cheer Carrie Fisher now because she wore a bikini 30 years ago?

Oh Sarah Connor needed help against the scary robot man? Guess she's not a strong character then. It's not like she survived while Reese, everyone in the police station and everyone that met the Terminator died or then went through years of shit getting herself ready to essentially win a war by keeping John alive. All those men that tried to help her died while she survived. Characters needing help isn't a problem, it's not putting women down, by the end of T2 she had survived multiple Terminator attacks, kept John alive and ready for his future role, taken down Cyberdyne, gotten contacts in Mexico with weapons for the resistance and at the time had stopped the future threat. She's always going to be nothing but a ditzy waitress though, no character growth for Sarah. Should she have just used her sudden force powers to rescue herself? It was a sci fi horror she's supposed to be way out of her depth. It's called a story, just chucking someone in and having them do everything themselves is boring. That's when you end up with Rey, that's why people don't like Rey she's badly written. Imagine the indignity of playing second fiddle to one of the biggest action stars of all time in his most iconic role. Sarah Connor went from waitress to bad ass, no one complained, no one got threatened. People accepted the journey of the character. She remains a beloved character despite what they've done with the franchise.

Why does it only coming out 2 years ago mean anything? The people that grew up with all that other stuff grew up with the Wonder Woman tv show. If all of those "straight white men" that are so sexist avoided Wonder Woman then where did the sales come from? Everyone was ok with Wonder Woman because they had no guilt? Catch yourself on. Wonder Woman is a huge character and superheroes sell. She's one of the most popular and most powerful super heroes. The guilt of those bad white men has feck all to do with them going to see Wonder Woman.

What about Captain Marvel reflects how "straight white men" behave today? A single guy tries to chat her up badly and that justifies her stealing his motorbike and almost causing a traffic accident?

Throwing blanket statements over an entire race, gender and sexual preference isn't acceptable. Not only does is completely unfair on the people being villainised but it marginalizes the voices of anyone that didn't like the film who doesn't fit that bill.
You kind of just prove the point here. Why do men need to be the lead? That's a pointless question. Nobody 'needs' to be a lead, and so there's no reason why it always has to be men and why there has to be opposition to female leads. The fact that male dominated films where women fill gender stereotypes being something that sells doesn't mean it's right, it means that societies attitude need to change - hence the push in Hollywood to do so. Also the fact that it's been male dominated for so long, makes it even more baffling when people just want to see it evened out a bit and it's met with opposition and questions like 'why do women need to be leads?'

With regards to Leia, the first time you saw her she was a prisoner whose 'only hope' was an old white man halfway across the galaxy. She starts the film as a damsel in distress, a trope that the maiden needs rescuing by the prince. That's the extent of her initial involvement on screen in Star Wars, before the rest of A New Hope focuses on the actual lead of the film, Luke. Who then needs to rescue her from prison fulfilling the trope of the damsel in distress. She has a better role in the 2nd movie before she caused waves giving men across the globe a boner by being exhibited in a skimpy slave costume.

People cheer for her because she's part of the furniture, as they cheered Han and Chewie, and Luke when he was revealed. They're not cheering because she's a strong female lead, they're cheering because they fecking love Star Wars and the nostalgia of the original trilogy. They'd cheer an Ewok if one came on screen in the next film. It's a false equivalency.

With regards to Captain Marvel, it reflects how a lot of straight white dudes act today. A stereotypical dude bro acts like a total douchebag with a sense of entitlement that he deserves X, Y, Z just because he's being nice to a woman which unfortunately is a prevalent attitude today. I'm sorry if that offends you, maybe you're not one of those people but to deny that it exists is stupid. And I'm confused as to why you'd try to shoot down any attempt to portray that. Especially when the scene you're referencing to, is a copy and paste of another scene in a film you just referenced yourself where a male lead did the same thing and people loved it.

Art Vandelay

You kind of just prove the point here. Why do men need to be the lead? That's a pointless question. Nobody 'needs' to be a lead, and so there's no reason why it always has to be men and why there has to be opposition to female leads. The fact that male dominated films where women fill gender stereotypes being something that sells doesn't mean it's right, it means that societies attitude need to change - hence the push in Hollywood to do so. Also the fact that it's been male dominated for so long, makes it even more baffling when people just want to see it evened out a bit and it's met with opposition and questions like 'why do women need to be leads?'

With regards to Leia, the first time you saw her she was a prisoner whose 'only hope' was an old white man halfway across the galaxy. She starts the film as a damsel in distress, a trope that the maiden needs rescuing by the prince. That's the extent of her initial involvement on screen in Star Wars, before the rest of A New Hope focuses on the actual lead of the film, Luke. Who then needs to rescue her from prison fulfilling the trope of the damsel in distress. She has a better role in the 2nd movie before she caused waves giving men across the globe a boner by being exhibited in a skimpy slave costume.

People cheer for her because she's part of the furniture, as they cheered Han and Chewie, and Luke when he was revealed. They're not cheering because she's a strong female lead, they're cheering because they fecking love Star Wars and the nostalgia of the original trilogy. They'd cheer an Ewok if one came on screen in the next film. It's a false equivalency.

With regards to Captain Marvel, it reflects how a lot of straight white dudes act today. A stereotypical dude bro acts like a total douchebag with a sense of entitlement that he deserves X, Y, Z just because he's being nice to a woman which unfortunately is a prevalent attitude today. I'm sorry if that offends you, maybe you're not one of those people but to deny that it exists is stupid. And I'm confused as to why you'd try to shoot down any attempt to portray that. Especially when the scene you're referencing to, is a copy and paste of another scene in a film you just referenced yourself where a male lead did the same thing and people loved it.
At what point did I say they need to be male lead films? I asked why they need to be female lead and why is it something we strive for? I don't care who leads them personally, what I do care about is when it's agenda driven above being entertainment driven. I don't want my entertainment affected by politics I don't care about.

Leia was a damsel in distress? She was on a mission, yet despite her ship being boarded and about to be captured she still fulfils her mission before standing up the scariest dude in the galaxy right to his face and mouths off to Tarkin while she's at it. Which gets her tortured, which she then recovers from in time for her rescue. What happens during that rescue? They get themselves into shit and she gets them out of it, admittedly into different shit. She spends the majority of this taking charge, mouthing off and taking no shit from anyone. Does she need help? Yes because she's a character, not a sypher for a political movement. That's before we get into her taking charge of the rebels on Hoth and being the one to rescue the other damsel in distress, Han. Which is what lands her in the bikini, which again she rescues herself from. She's far, far more than a woman in a gold bikini and always was. People cheer because they loved her character and Carrie Fisher was awesome. It's doing a complete diservice to the character and the people that grew up with her, possibly too young to have appreciated the gold bikini. You've taken a scene from Friends and assumed it meant everyone.

No it doesn't. It reflects how people on TV sometimes act. I'm a straight white dude, I know a lot of straight white dudes, if one of us acted like that the others would have a word. Does it exist? Yes it does, is it a straight white dude thing? No it isn't, there's dickheads in every creed and culture. I had a boss grope me in the office once, I had a woman from work lick my crotch at a Christmas party in front of everyone, I had a gay guy refuse to take no for an answer one night until I had to offer him a punch in the face as an alternative, I've seen a lesbian woman aggressively groping and persuing a straight woman in front of her boyfriend knowing the boyfriend wouldn't hit her. All monumentally douchey behaviour, do I blame entire groups of people of any of these things? No, one was an alcoholic, one got drunk and made a tit of herself and two were drunk and being assholes. They aren't representative of their entire gender, ethnicity nor sexual preference. Most people aren't dicks. Every culture, race, sexual preference and Star Wars creature has douche bags amongst them, you can't say that this behaviour is mostly or all one group it's entirely unfair. How is stereotyping straight white men any different from doing it to Asians or black people?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
At what point did I say they need to be male lead films? I asked why they need to be female lead and why is it something we strive for? I don't care who leads them personally, what I do care about is when it's agenda driven above being entertainment driven. I don't want my entertainment affected by politics I don't care about.
Maybe females would like to see female leads what with them consisting of half the population? Maybe little girls would like to see Captain Marvel beating people up instead of yet another white guy? Maybe the basic idea that men and women are equally talented at acting suggests the huge inequality in lead roles is inevitably leading to a lower standard on screen? After all, if you want an actual meritocracy (the best people getting the best roles) then you would expect more minority actors in lead roles than we currently have. Unless you think white men are just better at acting or the best roles are white male roles. There's a whole well of talent not being utilised properly, which is reason enough for an attempt at correcting the balance.

Zarlak

Leia was a damsel in distress? She was on a mission, yet despite her ship being boarded and about to be captured she still fulfils her mission before standing up the scariest dude in the galaxy right to his face and mouths off to Tarkin while she's at it. Which gets her tortured, which she then recovers from in time for her rescue. What happens during that rescue? They get themselves into shit and she gets them out of it, admittedly into different shit. She spends the majority of this taking charge, mouthing off and taking no shit from anyone. Does she need help? Yes because she's a character, not a sypher for a political movement. That's before we get into her taking charge of the rebels on Hoth and being the one to rescue the other damsel in distress, Han. Which is what lands her in the bikini, which again she rescues herself from. She's far, far more than a woman in a gold bikini and always was. People cheer because they loved her character and Carrie Fisher was awesome. It's doing a complete diservice to the character and the people that grew up with her, possibly too young to have appreciated the gold bikini. You've taken a scene from Friends and assumed it meant everyone.

No it doesn't. It reflects how people on TV sometimes act. I'm a straight white dude, I know a lot of straight white dudes, if one of us acted like that the others would have a word. Does it exist? Yes it does, is it a straight white dude thing? No it isn't, there's dickheads in every creed and culture. I had a boss grope me in the office once, I had a woman from work lick my crotch at a Christmas party in front of everyone, I had a gay guy refuse to take no for an answer one night until I had to offer him a punch in the face as an alternative, I've seen a lesbian woman aggressively groping and persuing a straight woman in front of her boyfriend knowing the boyfriend wouldn't hit her. All monumentally douchey behaviour, do I blame entire groups of people of any of these things? No, one was an alcoholic, one got drunk and made a tit of herself and two were drunk and being assholes. They aren't representative of their entire gender, ethnicity nor sexual preference. Most people aren't dicks. Every culture, race, sexual preference and Star Wars creature has douche bags amongst them, you can't say that this behaviour is mostly or all one group it's entirely unfair. How is stereotyping straight white men any different from doing it to Asians or black people?
Can you point out where I said that you said they need to be male lead films? I don't believe I did.

I pointed out that asking why they need to be a female lead is a pointless question. It infers that either nobody requires a role as a lead, in which case there should be no opposition to female leads, case closed and no discussion necessary - or that this question only applies to females, in which case the point of the discussion becomes apparent.

I believe you were referring to the former, that it should be a none issue which I agree with - but unfortunately it's not. It's so far in one direction, that we're now seeing attempts to balance it out. Just because you don't want your entertainment affected by politics you don't care about, doesn't mean shit because there's millions of people out there that do want their entertainment affected by politics that they very much care about - like the issue of representation in all walks of life.

And yes she was a damsel in distress. The fact that she mouths off to Tarkin doesn't change the fact that she was introduced as a prisoner who had to rely on the male hero as her only hope and who had to be rescued from the predicament that she was in. That was her role, in spite of the fact that she was plucky and stuck up for herself. The fluff you bring up in addition to that, doesn't change this core concept that she was a damsel in distress who needed to be rescued from the first minute of the movie. Also it's laughable to say that the people who grew up with her were too young to appreciate the bikini.

With regards to you knowing straight white dudes, your anecdotal experience is completely irrelevant as all anecdotes are. Your whataboutism and experiences with the opposite sex is also irrelevant because you've seen a few examples of A and haven't witnessed the plethora of examples of B. If you want to be blind to it, go ahead. Or alternatively, take 5 mins to ask 10 random men on the street to list the amount of times they've witnessed this behaviour from women, and then take 5 mins to ask 10 random women on the street how many times they've witnessed this behaviour from men. Extrapolate it, and gather more examples until you feel like you have a meaningful sample size. Or do any amount of reading into the subject at all, it's been discussed and documented to death and it's clearly way way way disproportionate. You can't just pretend it isn't a real issue because you haven't seen it yourself. To say that this kind of behaviour from one gender to another isn't mostly related to men is simply garbage. The Me Too movement alone evidences that, let alone all the other mediums that we've come to understand this problem from. I'm really sorry, but saying that that biker scene doesn't reflect real life and just reflects 'how people on TV sometimes act' just shows that if you don't hold the views yourself and see nothing wrong with them, then you are at least completely naive and blind to the reality of what your average woman goes through on a regular basis when it comes to men.

That isn't necessarily inherently a bad thing. Hell, I'm naive myself about this, I couldn't pretend to understand the scope or the impact as much as a woman could even if I can see and accept that it's true, and that's partly exactly why people push to change things in Hollywood and in other mediums. I doubt those who experience this, who feel it every day and who are affected by these attitudes give 2 shits about what you want from your entertainment just because you don't see white men being douchebags to woman and once had a colleague grope you.

Sweet Square

Is there a attempt to correct the balance ? I don't think there's being any greater number of women in positions of power such as directing movies or being heads of studios, right ? It seems at best to be a great marketing tool because it creates a ton of Internet net buzz(Both bad and good)and a easy solution to sell a remake or another comic book movie.

If the Bond franchise is serious about better representation(Or actually just serious about making a good Bond movie) then they would simply give full control and a unlimited budget to the best British director of the past decade Steve McQueen.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Is there a attempt to correct the balance ? I don't think there's being any greater number of women in positions of power such as directing movies or being heads of studios, right ? It seems at best to begreat marketing tool because it creates a ton of Internet net buzz(Both bad and good)and a easy solution to sell a remake or other comic book movie.

If the Bond franchise is serious about better representation(Or actually just serious about making a good Bond movie) then they would simply give full control and a unlimited budget to the best British director of the past decade Steve McQueen.
This was touched on in a recent RLM video. Disney are smart enough to push the PC angle in front of the camera, but they don't back it up behind.

Sweet Square

This was touched on in a recent RLM video. Disney are smart enough to push the PC angle in front of the camera, but they don't back it up behind.
Yeah seem to remember that one. All the Star War films and Disney remakes are pretty much directed by the same nerdy middle aged white guy.

Sort of depressing they don't even have to put any effort in for people to buy into this idea. At least in mad men they had to really work in order to convince people that cigarettes didn't give them cancer.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Maybe females would like to see female leads what with them consisting of half the population? Maybe little girls would like to see Captain Marvel beating people up instead of yet another white guy? Maybe the basic idea that men and women are equally talented at acting suggests the huge inequality in lead roles is inevitably leading to a lower standard on screen? After all, if you want an actual meritocracy (the best people getting the best roles) then you would expect more minority actors in lead roles than we currently have. Unless you think white men are just better at acting or the best roles are white male roles. There's a whole well of talent not being utilised properly, which is reason enough for an attempt at correcting the balance.
I just find the use of the term "strive" in relation to this just odd. Like it's implying it absolutely must happen.

Should there be more female lead films? Yeah, there's absolutely no reason why not, but it's not a thing that absolutely has to happen or the world is fecked. It doesn't bother me, it bothers me when they're shit though and I've paid to see them just like any film that I found to be shit would. I get to voice my opinion on that. Which again is why I brought up the examples I did. I'm not saying don't make female lead films, I'm saying don't make crap like the new Star Wars films and then hide behind feminism and blame toxic white males when you made bad films/wrote bad characters. Don't dismiss the characters of the past that helped build the genre in order to give your new character a false step up. If you want to make films to give little girls something to look up to then that's great, do that, but do it right. Don't pump something out and when you get backlash for the poor quality cry bigotry and then talk about giving girls someone to look up to as an after thought.

I'm not arguing against diversity or anything like that. I'm arguing against the cynical way it's being used. It's all a deflection from creative bankruptcy and they've found a group of people they can blame for all their shortcomings.

Can you point out where I said that you said they need to be male lead films? I don't believe I did.

I pointed out that asking why they need to be a female lead is a pointless question. It infers that either nobody requires a role as a lead, in which case there should be no opposition to female leads, case closed and no discussion necessary - or that this question only applies to females, in which case the point of the discussion becomes apparent.

I believe you were referring to the former, that it should be a none issue which I agree with - but unfortunately it's not. It's so far in one direction, that we're now seeing attempts to balance it out. Just because you don't want your entertainment affected by politics you don't care about, doesn't mean shit because there's millions of people out there that do want their entertainment affected by politics that they very much care about - like the issue of representation in all walks of life.

And yes she was a damsel in distress. The fact that she mouths off to Tarkin doesn't change the fact that she was introduced as a prisoner who had to rely on the male hero as her only hope and who had to be rescued from the predicament that she was in. That was her role, in spite of the fact that she was plucky and stuck up for herself. The fluff you bring up in addition to that, doesn't change this core concept that she was a damsel in distress who needed to be rescued from the first minute of the movie. Also it's laughable to say that the people who grew up with her were too young to appreciate the bikini.

With regards to you knowing straight white dudes, your anecdotal experience is completely irrelevant as all anecdotes are. Your whataboutism and experiences with the opposite sex is also irrelevant because you've seen a few examples of A and haven't witnessed the plethora of examples of B. If you want to be blind to it, go ahead. Or alternatively, take 5 mins to ask 10 random men on the street to list the amount of times they've witnessed this behaviour from women, and then take 5 mins to ask 10 random women on the street how many times they've witnessed this behaviour from men. Extrapolate it, and gather more examples until you feel like you have a meaningful sample size. Or do any amount of reading into the subject at all, it's been discussed and documented to death and it's clearly way way way disproportionate. You can't just pretend it isn't a real issue because you haven't seen it yourself. To say that this kind of behaviour from one gender to another isn't mostly related to men is simply garbage. The Me Too movement alone evidences that, let alone all the other mediums that we've come to understand this problem from. I'm really sorry, but saying that that biker scene doesn't reflect real life and just reflects 'how people on TV sometimes act' just shows that if you don't hold the views yourself and see nothing wrong with them, then you are at least completely naive and blind to the reality of what your average woman goes through on a regular basis when it comes to men.

That isn't necessarily inherently a bad thing. Hell, I'm naive myself about this, I couldn't pretend to understand the scope or the impact as much as a woman could even if I can see and accept that it's true, and that's partly exactly why people push to change things in Hollywood and in other mediums. I doubt those who experience this, who feel it every day and who are affected by these attitudes give 2 shits about what you want from your entertainment just because you don't see white men being douchebags to woman and once had a colleague grope you.
Sorry that was my fault, I misread the way you asked why should there be a male lead and thought you were attributing that statement to me.

As I said in my response to Sully, the idea that it's something we should strive for just baffles me. Especially when the films that seem to be claiming this feminist angle the last few years really haven't been good and then biggotry is being used as a shield to deflect criticism. When a film starts firing out the political messaging now it feels like a warning sign that it's going to be crap and it's getting the defences ready. There's also millions of people out there who don't want their entertainment affected by politics they don't care about so it's all moot what anyone wants and at the end of the day Hollywood doesn't give a single feck if women or anyone is represented. It's all bluster and if it doesn't sell they won't make it. They aren't putting more Asians in Star Wars for representation, they are selling to the Asian market, it's the same with everything they do. You might care, millions might care, Hollywood only cares about money and PR and if the feminism thing isn't doing what it wants then it will get dropped like a stone. Having said all that, I'm not against female lead films in any way, I just prefer them to be good ones.

You're dismissing everything about her character to label her as a damsel in distress purely to reduce her to that role. She's a rebel that was on a mission, she pushed on with it despite it going horribly wrong, she then needed rescued so she could continue the next mission. What's wrong with needing rescued? Is it because men rescued her? This is one of the problems of letting a political agenda dictate entertainment. Women can't ever need help from men now? It's the same argument you used against Sarah Connor. There's a rabbit hole we're very close to going down. How is it laughable that people would be too young to appreciate the gold bikini? I was like 5 when I first saw it and I saw it dozens of times, if not more by the time I was a teenager. Not only that but it wasn't even that attractive, it's just a stupid bit from Friends. You've taken 3 films of character development, everything she did and boiled it down to she wore a gold bikini and she needed to be rescued. This strong female character that seems to be striven(strived? strove?) for is not a character. Characters have flaws, men have limitations, women have limitations, everyone needs help, characters need rescuing sometimes. Han was no worse for needing rescued by Leia and Leia was no worse for needing rescued by Han, Luke and Chewie. What exactly is wrong with starting out as a damsel in distress anyway? It doesn't mean that's their entire character. Luke didn't stay an ignorant farm boy.

I didn't pretend it wasn't a real issue and I didn't use those examples for whataboutism. I challenged your statement that it's "straight white dude" behaviour. Every race, gender and sexuality has people like that. Is it worse for women? I never said it wasn't, I'm pretty sure it is worse for them. How can you say the biker scene is a reflection of what the regular woman goes through on a daily basis though? You're not a regular woman so you don't know, you might be reading stories from people that things like that happened to, but at the same time there's not going to be people turning up to say "Well it never happened to me." You're hearing bad shit, then extrapolating that out to mean everyone is getting harrassed all the time and it's all these white dudes doing it. I don't mean this to sound like I'm dismissing anything that women go through or saying I actually know what it's like, because I really fecking don't. My point is in relation to attributing this behaviour purely to straight white men, you've labelled an entire group of people as the villain in this scenario.

Likewise, I don't give two shits what some screamer on Twitter wants from their films or what they think about the patriarchy. Bad shit happens in the world, yet it's got nothing to do with me paying to see a film and then being allowed to say that I don't like something about that film. They shouldn't get to use people's gender, race or sexuality to invalidate all criticism. I don't like Rey, I thought Captain Marvel was pretty pathetic and none of that means I'm a sexist or I hate women as much as Disney would like to pretend it does.

To try and cut down the long winded back and forth we've gotten into. A slightly simpler question I've been meaning to squeeze in here somewhere, because if this keeps going one of us is going to end up challenging the other to live as a woman for a week. If Sarah Connor and Leia are not two of the strong female characters that sci fi was built on and are just simply damsels in distress, then what are you expecting from this mythical strong female character they are searching for? Is it Rey? Someone utterly flawless that needs no help from men? What exactly is it? Because there needs to be a journey for the story, starting out awesome and continuing to get more awesome is boring. Is it Wonder Woman? Because she's been around for a very long time and that film really wasn't that good.

Last edited: