No title bid expected for 3 years

fergiesarmy1

Yet Ed takes a 60% pay increase last year, confirmation that football is secondary to the owners and board.

Raw

So it'll be 9 years since we last won the title to the point where we might fight for the title. That's depressing. Could easily be 10+ years.

romufc

Why are we even talking about this, we can barely even manager 2 consecutive PL wins let alone the title.

How many years before we challenge top 4?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I assume the ESPN source was the canteen lady or something?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's fair if you assume Pep and Klopp will dominate the next 2-3 years. The chance for us and anyone else will be right after their cycle. Its defeatist for the club to admit it but it is the truth. We have a young squad with potential, but its built right now on a lot of younger players. 3 years is maybe excessive, as if we do things properly then I could see a realistic title challenge in 21/22 (which would be the 3rd year from now). Definitely 22/23. 19/20 and 20/21 will definitely be too soon though, and that's just because we have a lot of young players as part of the squad who need to improve to a level where they will be important players.

dove

Of course. We will most likely still fight for top 4.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
And in thinking regular CL is pushing it in the next 3 years time. But then hey, Leicester did it. So.. Yea. Why not, eddy.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Manchester United's owners, the Glazer family, have sanctioned a three-year plan to restore the club's on-field fortunes, with sources having told ESPN FC there is now an acceptance the team is unlikely to challenge for the Premier League until the 2021-22 season at the earliest.
Nonsense. How can any club give up on title challenge for x number of years, it's as if everything will go as planned.

Just one more article pulled out of his arse by Ogden.

Lee565

That's bollocks and is once again a ploy by the glazers to keep rinsing the fans for as long as possible

Chelsea managed to go from just about managing to get champions league football to dominating champions in the space of 12 months. City were the same but over a 24 month period, it can be done when the ambition is there but we have the glazers so I dont expect a title challenge all the time they are here.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Unicorn fairy dust time! It is of course possible but it would take investment, great management and luck! All of which we seem short of right now.

PoTMS

Man United - "we won't be challenging for at least 3 years"
Liverpool - "we're back on our perch"

Feck this shit. We deserve this.

meamth

3 years, minimum 2 times Liverpool will be champions...

Our perch is taken back. :nervous:

Ekeke

I think its ridiculous to talk like this. As if Leicester or Spurs planned it out before they were in the title picture. They just did the business on the pitch and you can improve your team very fast with good business just like Liverpool did. We just need to suck less with our transfer business

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Arsenal also had a plan about 10 years ago and they'll be lucky to win it in 2035.

Glazers and Woodward just buying more time by sacking manager after manager. That's the real plan.

Gandalf

Not a big fan of 3 year plans or 5 year plans or whatever. You assess your goals season by season based on where you are at and the business you do. It is fair enough coming in to this season to say that we would not be title challengers this year, only the most deluded fan boy would think otherwise considering the relative strength of our team to our rivals, but I am not writing off next season yet.

Two transfer windows for us to improve so potentially another 5 players or so and if we make good choices and get the little bit of luck that everyone needs we could be up there. This stuff about City and Liverpool dominating. Nothing is certain but the certainty of change, nobody would have believed you if you had told them the Arsenal unbeatables team would never win another title but that is exactly what happened so no I don't want to hear about how we can't compete for at least 3 years. Defeatist rubbish.

DSG

I hate to see that headline, because it absolves the current players of responsibility to challenge for the title.

Let’s be honest, we have failed to continue our success after SAF retired. We have tried to buy stars, buy experience, buy top managers, institute manager philosophies, be practical, etc.

None of these short term fixes have worked. I believe the club has decided to rebuild from the bottom up. I agree that, although painful, this is the best course of action. We may fail in execution, but the haphazard way we have tried to get back on top isn’t working.

Irwin99

A good plan is what is needed but I really don't have any faith in the people putting that plan together. I expect another relatively low net spend next summer that will probably be funded by the Pogba sale. The whole sudden emphasis on youth development looks to be just an excuse for glazernomics. Developing youth prospects is fantastic and we all like to see it happen but the reality is that we haven't really produced world class players since the class of 92 and even some of the most talented players that come along (Rossi, Morrison) sometimes don't make it. This squad need massive investment that's intelligently planned and not just buying any player that City is linked with (Suarez, Fred).

marktan

As long as the Glazers and Ed are in charge, were not winning a title any time in the 2020s.

And I would put good money on that.

Any man that gives an interim manager the job after 10 games whilst looking for a new top level manager and a DOF, after having given the previous manager a large contract and then sacking him the same year at the cost of £20m, and then deciding a DOF isn't needed..

Really they don't have a clue. They see the financial figures doing well and they're content. Our net spend this year was £70m. People talk about youngsters, but it's all air and smoke. The likes of Rooney and Ronaldo had Giggs and Scholars etc to play off of, this current batch are nowhere near that level and our regulars are the likes of Lingard and Mata.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Sounds like bullshit to me. Why would the club publicly say something like that and essentially tell our players they aren't going to invest enough for us to be title contenders in the next three years? May as well tell Pogba to pack his bags.

Eric7C

I hate to see that headline, because it absolves the current players of responsibility to challenge for the title.

Let’s be honest, we have failed to continue our success after SAF retired. We have tried to buy stars, buy experience, buy top managers, institute manager philosophies, be practical, etc.

None of these short term fixes have worked. I believe the club has decided to rebuild from the bottom up. I agree that, although painful, this is the best course of action. We may fail in execution, but the haphazard way we have tried to get back on top isn’t working.
What does that mean? Selling experienced players and not replacing them, hoping that youth players are able to fill their roles? That doesn't sound like a plan but more like just hoping things will work out. A director of football has still not been appointed; in fact, the club now thinks one is not required because apparently the three players we have bought are considered a success already after a month of league football.

It seems to me that the club is not rebuilding from the bottom up but simply making it up as we go along.

manunited1919

Right now if we were to descend to the Championship level, we wouldn’t even win that title.

Beagle

feck the title and feck all the trophies. There's on an average 1 or 2 matches each week and you wait all week, get hyped up despite how poor the last game was and inevitably it's the same boring, unwatchable shit. Doesn't matter if United win or lose, the performance is usually woeful and it's a chore to sit through the whole thing.

I can't believe it's this difficult for so many managers and coaches to get the team playing in an effective way. It doesn't even have to be a gung ho, all out attacking mentality but anything that works well is good to watch, even well planned defensive teams. It's so hard to believe that there is nothing at all that suits this group of players despite a string of managers and staff trying their hand.

This is the first step to start playing football in a way that works. The rest is a pipe dream at the moment. This is a team that can't string a few wins together. Noone needs telling that they won't be challenging for the title.

buckooo1978

3 years sounds about right if we manage to sign as well or better than we did this Summer

4 players next year and we should be a strong top 4 outfit

3/4 the following year and we should challenge

invariably we will sign players who dont excel, we will lose talented players and we will have unforeseen issues

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Yet Ed takes a 60% pay increase last year, confirmation that football is secondary to the owners and board.
The thing is, is that Woodward is a good business person. He has been a key figure in helping to grow our brand and bring in a lot of money to the club. The problem is, he is not a football guy. I have no problem with Ed being in the club taking care of the off field business. But we need a director of football. Perhaps Ole is the guy to manage us in the long term, and perhaps he isn't. But I like his vision. Perhaps he's the DOF we've been looking for and all we need is the right manager to come in and help turn these young and hungry players into proper footballers...

Hawks2008

Standards are well and truly gone. Defeatist bullshit.

These fecking seppos are detestable and so is this cronie Woodward.

DSG

What does that mean? Selling experienced players who are shite and not replacing them, hoping that youth players are able to fill their roles? That doesn't sound like a plan but more like just hoping things will work out. A director of football has still not been appointed; in fact, the club now thinks one is not required because apparently the three players we have bought are considered a success already after a month of league football.

It seems to me that the club is not rebuilding from the bottom up but simply making it up as we go along.
All the reports I’ve read is that they are still looking for a DoF. The bit in the statement that the scouting and recruiting department employees have been with the club for a decade was a bit worrying. Clearly, the last seven years have been really poor.

Let’s see, who left after last season...

Darmian
Lukaku
Herrera
Valencia
Wilson

And loan

Sanchez
Smalling

With the possible exception of Ander Herrera, all of those were welcome subtractions. How many times did we scream obscenities while watching Lukaku miss a golden chance in big moments? He’s not a top striker.

You’re out there calling for experience when you don’t realize that experience is expensive, both in wages and transfer fees. Which means less money spent on the rebuild with up and coming younger players. A 29 year old Toni Kroos for 60m and 300k per week? No thanks.

Secondly, experienced players would need to want to come to play for United. We aren’t in the CL. That crosses off 75-80% of the players that would meet our lofty standards. In fact, we are having a hard time keeping the players we’ve got.

It took Klopp 3 years to turn around Liverpool. He couldn’t buy superstars because no one of note wanted to go there.

I want trophies as much as you do, but I think the average fan has a very simple perspective, when in actuality, the situation is much more complex and nuanced than one might think.

fergiesarmy1

The thing is, is that Woodward is a good business person. He has been a key figure in helping to grow our brand and bring in a lot of money to the club. The problem is, he is not a football guy. I have no problem with Ed being in the club taking care of the off field business. But we need a director of football. Perhaps Ole is the guy to manage us in the long term, and perhaps he isn't. But I like his vision. Perhaps he's the DOF we've been looking for and all we need is the right manager to come in and help turn these young and hungry players into proper footballers...
Everyone keeps saying what a great businessman he is due to the sponsorship deals mainly, certainly can’t be due to his transfer negotiations where he seems to end up paying what was wanted or more in some cases, certainly can’t be contract negotiations as most of our players are overpaid beyond the point of parody now.

A lot of people would also say it’s relatively easy to get sponsors for the so called biggest club in the world that was winning trophies nearly every season till Ed took over also and most of the deals don’t look that good in retrospect.

DSG

Also, the 60% pay increase could have been part of his contract incentives if he hit certain targets or milestones (presumably financial, given the product on the pitch was dire).

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
In 3 years time a Manchester United team lead by Ole would probably win the championship

fergiesarmy1

Also, the 60% pay increase could have been part of his contract incentives if he hit certain targets or milestones (presumably financial, given the product on the pitch was dire).
No doubt which also brings about a conflict if it’s purely financial, he doesn’t care as long as he hits increasing revenues.

Aouer-United

What does that mean? Selling experienced players and not replacing them, hoping that youth players are able to fill their roles? That doesn't sound like a plan but more like just hoping things will work out. A director of football has still not been appointed; in fact, the club now thinks one is not required because apparently the three players we have bought are considered a success already after a month of league football.

That means many of our player who has been at the club for a long time, we couldn't win the league with them or challenging under different three managers. On other hands, we have many average players in our squad and we can't add more many quality to our squad according to the PL rule we cannot exceed the limit as we only have to register 25 players over 21 years old max with many of our younger players is turning 21+ in few years.

We are trying to trim down the squad to the point we will have a small squad so we can add more quality player to the squad and better depth.

Contact expiring next summer - Young - 34, Matic with the option of another year - 31, Fosu-Mensah, Bailly 25.

Smalling won't accept a bench role, he'll look to play elsewhere he can get playing time and be first choice. Rojo was heading for the exit last summer, it is increasingly likely he'll leave.

Rashford, Shaw, Martial, AWB would be in prime form at age of 24-26 by 2022.

For United to have any chance at the title, United must have success signing of at least 75%, say 3 signing successful, 1 flop for next 3 summer transfer window, we cannot afford to have a lower success rate by having more average signing than successful signing who improve us.

Alabaster Codify7

As our squad stands, and the fact Pogba will likely be gone in the summer, I wouldn't expect a top 4 challenge for 3yrs, let alone a title challenge. We're circling the drain.

Judas

Open to offers
I wouldn't be shocked if we go ten years since our last league title win to be honest. We'd need such deep changes throughout the club for me to reconsider. Probably at this point it might take a takeover.