Noel Clarke Allegations

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
What a strange way to interpret what I said.

In this specific context I think yes, they are likely to be treated more harshly (by public opinion, if not in the eye of the law).

In almost every other context you can think of I would say no, not at all.
Pogue it’s a really really weird comment to make that Noel might be alright after twenty sexual assault claims that he might be okay because he’s not a white middle aged male.

OL29

Not sure you need me to spell this out to you?

When it comes to trial by social media (which is where these things are usually concluded) the more privilege the accused has to begin with the more damning the verdict.

Noel Clarke does not have the same privilege as the likes of Harvey Weinstein so is unlikely to attract the same degree of visceral hatred from those who would get most angry about these sort of transgressions.

I’m not saying this is wrong or unfair but it’s a real phenomenon. Although, as I said, I doubt it’s enough to stop him getting cancelled.
That’s a really weird way of looking at it. For one, you said ‘white middle aged male’ in your original post, not privileged, as if they’re a widely oppressed demographic.
Secondly, being a person of colour didn’t help Russel Simmons, or other non white middle aged men who were subject to trial by media. Or Bill Cosby.

Weird take.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
That’s a really weird way of looking at it. For one, you said ‘white middle aged male’ in your original post, not privileged, as if they’re a widely oppressed demographic.
Secondly, being a person of colour didn’t help Russel Simmons, or other non white middle aged men who were subject to trial by media. Or Bill Cosby.

Weird take.
@Pogue Mahone was wrong to bring race into it but I think there tends to be a stronger feeling of disgust when it concerns age differences. It relates to the abuse of privilege, I guess.

Not saying there isn't disgust here.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Should the police not be involved?
No, this is sufficient punishment from the court of public opinion.

There is (rightly) a very high standard of proof required in the context of criminal trials that (rightly) doesn't apply to other contexts. And even in the context of criminal trials, the presumption of innocence isn't absolute.

The term doesn't mean someone needs to be proven guilty in a court of law before you can confidently form your own opinion of them or their actions. It also doesn't mean people aren't entitled to, say, decline to give him an industry awards, decline to work with him, decline to employ him, decline to associate with him or publicly criticise him without the allegations having been proven beyond doubt in court. In all those contexts people are allowed to draw their own very solid conclusions based on 20 different women accusing him of misconduct.
People are allowed to do whatever they want personally. Boycott his albums and what not, or whatever he makes. However when it's tantamount to blacklisting someone based on allegations that can't be proven or at least examined, then "yeah it's not an actual court so I can feel how I feel" isn't a sturdy defense. BAFTA had the original correct response, declining to act based on not being able to vet the veracity of these accusations.

And it's only when it comes to sexual accusations that the number of accusations (on different events mind, not 20 witnesses to one single crime) is sufficient for a block of the public to go, "yeah that's enough, ban him, but only ban him, don't trouble the police".

But meh, he'll go into hiding for a few months, come out on an "apology" tour, and life will go on.

hobbers

Don't worry he's come out again and said he's going to "seek professional help".

Seems even when he isn't acting he's cliche to the point of parody..

ZupZup

As a random aside, at the back end of February last year I had a knock on the door from a location scout working for Tiger Aspect on a new ITV drama called Viewpoint. He wanted to use my apartment to be the lead actor’s home in the show. In the end it never happened because they couldn’t film in the block with the whole Covid issue.

Quite glad now all this has come out. I’m all for innocent until proven guilty... but that many accusations? He’s clearly a total sleaze.

Hammerfell

What a strange way to interpret what I said.

In this specific context I think yes, they are likely to be treated more harshly (by public opinion, if not in the eye of the law).

In almost every other context you can think of I would say no, not at all.
It isn't, it was a strange thing for you to say.

But meh, he'll go into hiding for a few months, come out on an "apology" tour, and life will go on.
This is a B rated actor, who frankly most people couldn’t pick out of a lineup if you told them his name a few days ago. He won’t come back from this because there will be zero demand from anyone for him to do so. He’s not a big star.

lsd

The Oracle
Looks like he has gotten John Barrowman in bother as well

Ludens the Red

Point is, he’s supposed to be a great mate and are we led to believe that he didn’t know what Clarke is like?
Surely you know enough by now that these kind of people are master manipulators. Showing people a side of them only they want them to see.
This is why they get away with it for so long and usually then get a queue of people coming out saying “he was a lovely bloke”.
They’re conniving, manipulating, charming and very well skilled at their bastard ways.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Point is, he’s supposed to be a great mate and are we led to believe that he didn’t know what Clarke is like?
Is he expected to monitor his every move?

If any of my mates had stories like this come out they wouldn’t be mates anymore.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is he expected to monitor his every move?

If any of my mates had stories like this come out they wouldn’t be mates anymore.
I’m waiting for Elvis’ #MeToo moment

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
From Bradley Walsh, it’s the real reason the episode never aired.
:lol: I think you might be on to something there. I reckon thought he was going on stage for naked attraction.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Surely you know enough by now that these kind of people are master manipulators. Showing people a side of them only they want them to see.
This is why they get away with it for so long and usually then get a queue of people coming out saying “he was a lovely bloke”.
They’re conniving, manipulating, charming and very well skilled at their bastard ways.
And also narcissistic enough to reveal their actions to those that are complicit. Reading the article it seems like he felt he was untouchable or just bloody stupid. I will go with the former

Inigo Montoya

'I knew exactly what he was like but I chose to stay silent because it was good for my career. We all need to stop enabling people like him'
This. When Adam Deacon started to fall
Out with Clarke, his mental health ( bi polar)was questioned and used against him in court. Career over!

Inigo Montoya

Twitter is the worst website on the internet. Probably.
Well like a lot of unregulated social media it has attracted it’s fair share of crazies.
Personally I love the funny tweets. Go on the right show and it’s comedy gold

Ludens the Red

And also narcissistic enough to reveal their actions to those that are complicit. Reading the article it seems like he felt he was untouchable or just bloody stupid. I will go with the former
True, but what I would say is Ashley Walters is big enough to not feel the need to be complicit.

It’s probably more untouchable, it’s a shite reality but for every 20 women who his behaviour appalled, there are probably a number of women it didn’t, whom he “pursued” in such a way and was successful in that pursuit.