Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

FattyFooty

Please do not compare Haaland's big game ability with Mbappe's. At least not yet. Only if he helps to win City the CL this season does that even become a discussion. I think he can do it but we've got to see it first. Apart from his World Cup heroics, Mbappe has scored at every major stadium in Europe during his career thus far.
Look post above. Haaland scores against everyone. Both big and small. So do Mbappe. Its just that Haaland is better at it. :)

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Cant we say City players are ugly anymore? Remember how we used to talk about Tevez?

fck

Supports
Bayern
What's the biggest game Haaland has played in so far in his career?
Probably Round of 16 vs PSG in 19/20. The upcoming quarterfinal vs Bayern will be the biggest games so far in his career which is quite telling. Mbappe has featured in a lot more big games so at the moment they are not remotely comparable in that regard. Of course Mbappe plays for France but still.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Probably Round of 16 vs PSG in 19/20. The upcoming quarterfinal vs Bayern will be the biggest games so far in his career which is quite telling. Mbappe has featured in a lot more big games so at the moment they are not remotely comparable in that regard. Of course Mbappe plays for France but still.
Exactly my point. Not saying that Haaland can't do it but we haven't seen it yet. The closest we've seen so far is some big games in the PL in which he didn't score. I'd back him to be the difference for City in the CL this season.

KeanoMagicHat

Exactly my point. Not saying that Haaland can't do it but we haven't seen it yet. The closest we've seen so far is some big games in the PL in which he didn't score. I'd back him to be the difference for City in the CL this season.
He scored a hat trick against United and a goal against Arsenal. Didn’t score in the return against United. 4 in 3 games against the top 3 so far is pretty good.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
He scored a hat trick against United and a goal against Arsenal. Didn’t score in the return against United. 4 in 3 games against the top 3 so far is pretty good.
A hattrick against United early on when the team was floundering and nothing in the return once they had improved. A goal against Arsenal, let's see what happens in the return. Nothing against Liverpool back when everyone thought Liverpool were going to be City's main rivals again and City were supposedly seeking a bit of revenge for the Community Shield loss.

Again, none of this means anything if he helps City bring home the bacon in the CL. But we haven't seen it yet. We haven't seen him in a huge game at the business end of a massive competition where everyone is looking to him to be the difference. We've seen that with Mbappe.

FattyFooty

A hattrick against United early on when the team was floundering and nothing in the return once they had improved. A goal against Arsenal, let's see what happens in the return. Nothing against Liverpool back when everyone thought Liverpool were going to be City's main rivals again and City were supposedly seeking a bit of revenge for the Community Shield loss.

Again, none of this means anything if he helps City bring home the bacon in the CL. But we haven't seen it yet. We haven't seen him in a huge game at the business end of a massive competition where everyone is looking to him to be the difference. We've seen that with Mbappe.
Yes. And the last time we saw Mbappe he could not be a factor in a huge game. Vs Bayern. I have a feeling Haaland will be a factor...

The reason why we havent seen Haaland in many huge games is since this is hes first season with a big club.

However he has met many big teams: Bayern, PSG, Liverpool, United, Arsenal and he scored against all of them.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Yes. And the last time we saw Mbappe he could not be a factor in a huge game. Vs Bayern. I have a feeling Haaland will be a factor...

The reason why we havent seen Haaland in many huge games is since this is hes first season with a big club.

However he has met many big teams: Bayern, PSG, Liverpool, United, Arsenal and he scored against all of them.
Mbappe has more goals in the World Cup final than any player in history. That's literally the biggest game in football by a long long way. His big game capability is sealed.

Haaland obviously doesn't have that option so the best he can do is the CL. I also believe he can be the difference for City this season.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
No one scores in every big game, just cause either dont kill it in the cl knockouts every season doesnt mean they arent big game players.

fck

Supports
Bayern

Mbappe was not a factor in the Bayern tie that's true but in many different big games he was. Look if you expect any player, no matter how good, to deliver any time in any big game you will be in for a surprise. Haaland will be a nonfactor in several big times throughout his career as well.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Please do not compare Haaland's big game ability with Mbappe's. At least not yet. Only if he helps to win City the CL this season does that even become a discussion. I think he can do it but we've got to see it first. Apart from his World Cup heroics, Mbappe has scored at every major stadium in Europe during his career thus far.
I mean so has Haaland.
He's just had lesser opportunities to doo so while at Dortmund.
The only time these two players faced Haaland scored a brace and Mbappe didn't do anything.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I mean so has Haaland.
He's just had lesser opportunities to doo so while at Dortmund.
The only time these two players faced Haaland scored a brace and Mbappe didn't do anything.
False. Firstly, that was a 2-legged tie which PSG won. Secondly, Mbappe assisted Neymar's away goal in the first leg with a great piece of play. PSG lost the leg 2-1 thanks to EH's brace. However, that was Dortmund's home leg. In the away leg, Mbappe only came on as a sub but was still more involved than Haaland, who actually did nothing all game. This is reflective also of this season when he has been far more dominant at home. Nearly 2 thirds of his goals have been at the Etihad. Meanwhile Mbappe has already scored away at Camp Nou, the Bernabeu, Old Trafford, Anfield, the Etihad, the Allianz Arena, the Juventus Stadium and Signal Iduna Park. I mean, Haaland plays in England now and he still hasn't scored a goal at Anfield or Old Trafford as far as I'm aware. And with Mbappe it's not just to do with playing for PSG because he scored some of those goals with Monaco and a lot of those Monaco goals were in the KO rounds as well.

Again, I'm not saying Haaland can't do it, that would be churlish. I'm saying he has to prove it on the biggest stage. Now he's got the best chance that he's had so far.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
No one scores in every big game, just cause either dont kill it in the cl knockouts every season doesnt mean they arent big game players.
Yes but Mbappe is more proven as a big game player than Haaland thus far, which is my point. That can change, I've never said it can't.

However Mbappe is a better player (though not as prolific a goalscorer), and i sincerely hope that even Haaland superfans would not debate that.

troylocker

Provide the figures and the sources
Haaland since he moved to Austria:
Salzburg 56 min/goal
Dortmund 84 min/goal
Man City 68 min/goal
total over those 4 seasons: 75 min/goal

R9 from he went to Europe to his injury in 99 (same age as Haaland is now)
PSV 87 min/goal
Barca 90 min/goal
Inter 127 min/goal
total over those 4,5 seasons: 101 min/goal

Messi peak seasons :
11/12 (73 goals) 72 min/goal
12/13 68 min/goal

Source transfermarkt

HisNameIsEarl

Is Haaland vs. Mbappe the new Messi vs. Ronaldo? Disgusting.

Seems I'll have to avoid those threads in the future to prevent their fanboys from creating a comparable annoyance for the players.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Haaland since he moved to Austria:
Salzburg 56 min/goal
Dortmund 84 min/goal
Man City 68 min/goal
total over those 4 seasons: 75 min/goal

R9 from he went to Europe to his injury in 99 (same age as Haaland is now)
PSV 87 min/goal
Barca 90 min/goal
Inter 127 min/goal
total over those 4,5 seasons: 101 min/goal

Messi peak seasons :
11/12 (73 goals) 72 min/goal
12/13 68 min/goal

Source transfermarkt
A) Extreme cherry picking here. Why have you excluded Ronaldo's figures in Brazil? That was a higher standard than contemporary Austria I'd argue. Also, Ronaldo's overall figure is expanded by Italy, which was far more defensive at the time than anything Haaland has faced.

B) As stated above, there are contextual reasons for the differences in mins per goal. Overall it seems pretty similar for all three.

RuudTom83

Haaland is ridiculously efficient, yes he doesn’t play the beautiful game, but no one scores goals as easy as he does!

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Haaland's career average is higher than Ronaldo's best season ever.
There is no cherrypicking this.
As a goalscorer he's the most natural one.

No other player in modern football was as fast while being as big he is and as good of a finisher
His career average including 50 goals scored in Norway and Austria whilst excluding Ronaldo's goals scored in Brazil. I'd say there's plenty of cherry picking going on there.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

His career average including 50 goals scored in Norway and Austria whilst excluding Ronaldo's goals scored in Brazil. I'd say there's plenty of cherry picking going on there.
His career average actually improves if you only take into account his goals for Dortmund and City ...
By the way I'm talking about Cristiano's peak season not R9's ...

justsomebloke

Firstly, including his scoring in Norway takes his average down, not up. That's the only part of his career where he scored well below 1 per game. Secondly, you can pick this whatever way you want, it's not going to bring Ronaldo up to the same average.

Tiber

When we signed Wout I sarcastically said that Haaland would score more hatricks this season than Wout would manage total goals. But at this stage who on earth would suggest otherwise?

I knew he would be fantastic at City, but his goal tally is remarlable, especially when you consider the team hasn't really been built around him yet

justsomebloke

Is Haaland vs. Mbappe the new Messi vs. Ronaldo? Disgusting.

Seems I'll have to avoid those threads in the future to prevent their fanboys from creating a comparable annoyance for the players.
God, I hope not. They would be similar in being a) fundamentally pointless and b) insufferable.

FattyFooty

Mbappe was not a factor in the Bayern tie that's true but in many different big games he was. Look if you expect any player, no matter how good, to deliver any time in any big game you will be in for a surprise. Haaland will be a nonfactor in several big times throughout his career as well.
Yeah.

But the CL is the best to compare. And now Haaland is going on 2 games against Bayern.

CL is the best to compare them. Haaland will never win the WC with Norway.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
His career average actually improves if you only take into account his goals for Dortmund and City ...
By the way I'm talking about Cristiano's peak season not R9's ...
Yes I noticed that. Haaland's first 180 appearances: 153 goals

Ronaldo's first 153 appearances: 145 goals.

People can try as much as they like to say that we've never seen what Haaland is doing before but the reality is that we have. Obviously Ronaldo is streets better as a player but we're not talking about that, simply numbers.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Firstly, including his scoring in Norway takes his average down, not up. That's the only part of his career where he scored well below 1 per game. Secondly, you can pick this whatever way you want, it's not going to bring Ronaldo up to the same average.
Already addressed this

Handré1990

A) Extreme cherry picking here. Why have you excluded Ronaldo's figures in Brazil? That was a higher standard than contemporary Austria I'd argue. Also, Ronaldo's overall figure is expanded by Italy, which was far more defensive at the time than anything Haaland has faced.

B) As stated above, there are contextual reasons for the differences in mins per goal. Overall it seems pretty similar for all three.
You did so well until now:/

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
You did so well until now:/
That is a fact. Brazilian teams were extremely competitive in the Intercontinental/Club World Cup in the 90s and early 2000s. Romario's Vasco destroyed treble winning United for example. The football there was definitely better than Austria or Norway is now. Obviously contemporary Brazilian football is much weaker than it was then so people make the mistake of thinking it's always been like that.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
If my count is correct then these are his numbers for City and Dortmund only (no Molde, Salzburg or national team stats included):

Games: 126
Goals: 128
Assists: 28

These are preposterous numbers at the highest level. Especially considering his age.

Halftrack

Weird how invested some are in convincing others that Haaland can not be counted among the greats because he doesn't do stepovers or whatever.

troylocker

So take national team, top 5 league and champions league averages then. They are all best ever at his age too