Nordic Goal Yeti | Haaland at City

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Fair play, he's brilliant. Thank goodness he plays for them rather than Liverpool or Arsenal.

edcunited1878

Frightening? Good lord the hyperbole is insane. The entire league apparatus, pundits, fans are all jizzing over this guy. WHU were pushed up the pitch at 1-0 down and got caught on transition, no one talks about this when Vardy does it.
It's very impressive what he's doing. Hyperbole it is not and never was. And this comment was from the first match of the season. He was never a fluke coming from Dortmund and his European scoring up to that time forced a second look. And then just his first match in the league, it made you think...yeah, never have seen this before and it's crazy what could happen.

All the physical traits and putting him in a City team under Pep, but he's got pure striker instincts added on top of it. Genuine class movement, anticipation and feel around the box.

El Zoido

Imagine how many goals he’d have if Pep didn’t keep taking him off after an hour. I could genuinely see him scoring 7 or 8 goals in a game if he got the full 90.

Rojow

Imagine how many goals he’d have if Pep didn’t keep taking him off after an hour. I could genuinely see him scoring 7 or 8 goals in a game if he got the full 90.
And he will probably get an injury.

Infra-red

The best strikers in the world score a goal a game. This freak seems to score a goal every 10 minutes.

I'm increasingly convinced that he's some kind of AI-driven football robot.

Red Rash

Sickening that with a more competent ownership we could have signed him a couple of times. One of those players you would love at your club but otherwise has a massively punchable face.

Dempsey19

Sickening that with a more competent ownership we could have signed him a couple of times. One of those players you would love at your club but otherwise has a massively punchable face.
We sent our scout Tommy Moller Nielsen to watch him at Molde when he was 17, he scored 4 goals in 20 minutes I think.

He should of been signed there and then, before the match was even over.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
42 goals and 6 hat tricks already. Any debate about him to the negative is pointless.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
That's half Messi's total in the 2011/12 season.
In that season Messi scored 73 goals in 5,221 minutes. That's a goal every 72 minutes. Amazing.

So far Haaland has scored 42 goals in 2,871 minutes. That's a goal every 68 minutes....

Ludens the Red

He’s a robot, he must be, guys do you think he’s a robot? He’s a robot is Haaland. He’s not human, guys he’s not human is he? He’s a robot.

C'est Moi Cantona

Nice article on the Daily Mail website right now, saying Haaland might be great etc, but it's very hard to turn a blind eye to how City got to this point anymore given the investigation they are under.

A lot more of this moving forward from the media would be very nice.

Zen

He's actually scoring at just above par for the course really - historically 1 goal per game now up to about 1.13 due to City's ability to absolutely overwhelm.

What's actually impressive is that City have actually managed him tremendously well and he's almost certainly going to push past 50 games for the first time, since he's likely going to start almost every game left unless they truly fall out of PL contention, which would put at 52-56 games, when his previous highs for a club season were 40 and 41.

Pintu

In that season Messi scored 73 goals in 5,221 minutes. That's a goal every 72 minutes. Amazing.

So far Haaland has scored 42 goals in 2,868 minutes. That's a goal every 68 minutes....
I think the stats I'm looking at include internation football (Messi scored 9 for Argentina, including 6 in friendlies during that season). And they got Haaland at 40 (before today's goals). Also at 1 goal every 74 minutes... He has got to be at 68 with tonight. And even better ratio when you take away international football.

Skills

Snitch

So far Haaland has scored 42 goals in 2,871 minutes. That's a goal every 68 minutes....
In terms of production, Messi was even better the year after. In 12/13 - Messi scored 60 goals in 4,070 minutes - a goal every 67.8 minutes. He would've broken his record from the year before if he didn't get injured.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He's obviously great but I still don't think matches like Leipzig or Burnley prove the criticism wrong. Part of the truth is also that you could void 28 of his goals without changing one match outcome.

Player goals are no means in itself. It's fun seeing a player like this and thinking 'haha, he scored ANOTHER hattrick' in disbelieg to the point he almost becomes a meme but I still think people overlook the weaker aspects of his game because of it.

Anyway, hope he destroys Bayern next :D

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He's obviously great but I still don't think matches like Leipzig or Burnley prove the criticism wrong. Part of the truth is also that you could void 28 of his goals without changing one match outcome.

Player goals are no means in itself. It's fun seeing a player like this and thinking 'haha, he scored ANOTHER hattrick' in disbelieg to the point he almost becomes a meme but I still think people overlook the weaker aspects of his game because of it.

Anyway, hope he destroys Bayern next :D
In fairness, overlooking his weaknesses seem fair if he covers them in hattricks.

Guy is collecting matchballs to open his own ballpit

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I think the stats I'm looking at include internation football (Messi scored 9 for Argentina, including 6 in friendlies during that season). And they got Haaland at 40 (before today's goals). Also at 1 goal every 74 minutes... He has got to be at 68 with tonight. And even better ratio when you take away international football.
Ah right. Don't think the 40 would include Haaland's international goals this season though. Add them in and he's now on 48 (6 in 6 internationally). At any rate as a ratio he's keeping up with the best to ever do it having his best ever season.

76 games Messi played that season. Started in August, ended with a hat trick against Brazil in June. That's gotta be knackering. Unbelievable consistency.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It is not getting easier. 20 goals is still a good, it's just not a world beater number. Only 4 times in the history of the PL would 20 goals be enough to win you the golden boot, while 9 times you'd need 30+ and 18 times you'd need 25+ goals

Topscorers in the PL (The PL has never been better btw):

In the 90's:
92/93 - 22
93/94 - 34
94/95 - 34
95/96 - 31
96/97 - 25
97/98 - 18
98/99 - 18
99/00 - 30

In the 00's:
00/01 - 23
01/02 - 24
02/03 - 25
03/04 - 30
04/05 - 25
05/06 - 27
06/07 - 20
07/08 - 31
08/09 - 19
09/10 - 29

In the 10's
10/11 - 20
11/12 - 30
12/13 - 26
13/14 - 31
14/15 - 26
15/16 - 25
16/17 - 29
17/18 - 32

Since the PL started having 38 game seasons in the 95/96 season (42 before that) and up to the 17/18 season the average goals needed to win the golden boot was 26 goals.

Since then:
18/19 - 22
19/20 - 23
20/21 - 22
21/22 - 23

The PL has never been stronger compared to the rest of Europe than in this period, and never has the gap between the bottom 5 and the top 5 teams in the league been smaller.

Haaland is the only one who is scoring at this level in Europe. The rest are not breaking any records, quite the contrary actually. Here's the topscorers in all competitions for players in the top 5 leagues this season:
Haaland 39 (1,25 goals/90)
Mbappe 31 (1,08 goals/90) (5 of those goals came in a match against a level 6 amateur team in the French cup)
Lewandowski 25 (0,84 goals/90)
Rashford 25 (0,71 goals/90)
Osimhen 23 (0,94 goals/90)
Kane 22 (0,60 goals/90)
Salah 22 (0,60 goals/90)

The thing many seems to not fully understand is how extreme what he's doing really is He is scoring more than anyone to ever play the game in Europe at his age. He isn't just a really good young goalscorer, he is the best European football has ever seen. In his first 8 months in England he's already the fastest to score 10 goals, 15 goals, 20 goals, 25 goals, 2 hattricks, 3 hattricks , 4 hattricks in the PL ever. He is also the fastest to 10 goals, 15 goals, 20 goals, 25 goals and 30 goals ever in the CL. Just as he was in the Bundesliga. He has already beaten City's 94 year old record for most goals in all comps in a single season (we're still only in March), and he'll most likely break the all time PL record in his debut season. He has a mindblowing 33 goals in 1866 minutes of CL football and just reached double digits in the CL for the 3rd time. He has the record for most goals in WC match for U20s (9 goals against Honduras). etc....

He is standing out so strongly that it's getting ridiculous.
Plenty of strikers are more impressive when it comes to dribbling, ballcarrying and playmaking, but he is so much better than anyone else when it comes to movement, physique, finishing, spacial awareness, reactions and end product. Even R9 pre injury.
He has a unique skillset and I think if City learns how to play more to his strenghts, what we're seeing now is low numbers. City and Haaland are still work in progress. He scored 4 non penalty goals on Tuesday and none of them were from passes from teammates...

@Zehner might not be impressed by any of this, but he should be. Would you really rather have Kane if you could choose? He contributes in defence and by occupying and moving defenders around (often two) too btw.

Unique talent and I expect every goalscoring record in European football to be broken by this guy.
Sad he went for the sportswashers on the wrong side of town.
Please calm down

b20times

He's scored more goals himself than we have scored in the league. Gulp.

Dortmund need charging for selling him for 51m to city, what was they thinking!

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's scored more goals himself than we have scored in the league. Gulp.

Dortmund need charging for selling him for 51m to city, what was they thinking!
No choice cause of release clause and there's no way they could match loyalty and agent fees on a new contract

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
If he blanks twice against Bayern and they lose the league to Arsenal, the questions will still remain no matter how many he puts past Leipzig and Burnley.

Not that it matters anyway, it’s all for nowt when you haven’t followed the rules.

Skills

Snitch
I wonder if Guardiola will go for a more traditional winger in the summer to get even more out of him. He's not opposed to it and used Douglas Costa especially quite well when he had Lewandowski.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Ive never seen anything like this in the PL. Insane goalscorer!

edcunited1878

We sent our scout Tommy Moller Nielsen to watch him at Molde when he was 17, he scored 4 goals in 20 minutes I think.

He should of been signed there and then, before the match was even over.
Haaland had always had a plan to develop this way. He was never going to a big club after Molde. It was a methodical approach and it obviously paid off for everyone involved in all his transfers. United and everybody knew about him. Blaming Ole and the club is stupid. All the other big clubs who could afford him missed out too and were stupid to not sign him...but only blame United?