Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Rossa

That’s because Haaland scores virtually every game. Rashford doesn’t.

25 goals in 20 champions league games for Haaland is ridiculous.
No doubt, but my point is that slating Rashford for a statistically better game in all aspects while praising Haaland for his contributions is ridiculous.
Rashford: rubbish apart from the goals and the assist.
Haaland: two goals - brilliant

Haaland is a goal machine, but if he has a drought, I’m unsure as to how he contributes.

Chief123

No doubt, but my point is that slating Rashford for a statistically better game in all aspects while praising Haaland for his contributions is ridiculous.

Haaland is a goal machine, but if he has a drought, I’m unsure as to how he contributes.
I highly doubt people are praising Haaland just because of this one game. It’s praise based on the fact he’s doing this repetitively every game.

If Rashford did the same every game, he would get the same praise.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I highly doubt people are praising Haaland just because of this one game. It’s praise based on the fact he’s doing this repetitively every game.

If Rashford did the same every game, he would get the same praise.
Exactly, it is absolutely a valid question what Haaland contributes if he has a drought.

But he just hasn't one.

croadyman

So presume we are hoping he has a Villa/Newcastle type game when we go to Etihad where only manages to score one

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Was Rashford slated when he scored 2 goals in a game? Anyway as above Haaland has scored a goal a game for over 2 seasons now. Rashford is criticized for being really inconsistent.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I don't think Ronaldo gets anywhere near any GOAT conversation without his goals and high goalratio. He was the focal point in one of the best teams in the history of the game, and his goals and trophies are literally the only things that brings him into any GOAT discussion at all. It isn't his stepovers, passing or crossing.

We've never in the history of European football seen anyone at Haalands age scoring at the rate he is scoring now at the top level and he has some extreme and unique qualities the world hasn't seen on a football pitch before at all. And yet he looks so far from the finished article. The combination is mindblowing. Hence why this thread has 85 pages 4 weeks into the season, Haaland is trending on youtube, on social media and the majority of pundits are jizzing all over him these days.

Scoring goals is the hardest and most important thing to do on a football pitch, and Haaland seems determined to break every record and become the best ever at it.
At the rate he is scoring now he will have a shot at Messi's 92 goals for club and country in a year and will easily score 50 a season even with injuries.
In Messi's 11/12 and 12/13 season when he scored 118 goals in LaLiga (50 and 46 goals) and the CL alone, he scored a goal every 65 minutes he was on the pitch. Haaland so far this season has scored every 46 minutes he's been on the pitch. It's hard to wrap your head around how insane that actually is.

To put that into perspective: C. Ronaldo scored a goal every 99 minutes in his Golden shoe, Ballon d'or, CL and PL winning season with us....
...or: Michael Owen winning the Ballon d'or off the back of a season where Liverpool won the FA, Carabao (didn't play the final) and UEFA cup where he wasn't even topscorer in the PL (scoring 24 goals across all comps).

If he ends up breaking most of the standing goalscoring records and win a shitload of trophies along the way, he will obviously end up somewhere near the top on every GOAT list.
He's is only 22 and there is no guarantees in football, so lets see how it pans out.
I think both Haaland and Mbappe can get into the top 5 GOAT list if they avoid injuries or for some reason suddenly loses it.
I don’t think you realize how hard it will be for him or mbappe to crack the top 15 list let alone a top 5.

Ronaldo and Messi are their because of the sheer dominance and level they were playing at. Ronaldo is their not just because of his goals but his sheer dominance on the ball. The moment he picked up the ball on the wing for United or Madrid the whole opposition team is scrambling back because he will blow1-2 guys in an instant. He would unleash strikes from 35 yards out like they were penalties.

Ronaldo and Messi have both the sheer numbers and trophies. 5 CL titles, all the balond D or, all the golden boots etc.

Haaland is very one dimensional and to his defence he is fecking brilliant in the box but he can never impact a game or change the game in any other way besides the 6 yard box. He does not have the ability to make the opposition team lose their heads trying to get back because he picked up the ball 50 yards away from goal.

Haaland can score and score effectively one way.

Ronaldo left foo, right foot, headed,distance, freekick, you name it he was fecking unplayable (Messi as well).

Their is a reason what both of these guys were doing in their prime was so breath taking because nobody has ever done it before. They pushed each other to the limit which is why they both get compared to the only two other “gods” in football. That is an extremely hard level to get too.

Mbappe and Haaland don’t have the same level of natural ability that either Ronaldo or Messi had at their absolute best and that’s ok and completely natural. They have everything to be two of the greatest players in the game but it would be an absolute feat to just crack the top 15.

You should go look at a top 15 and see the players on their just to get an idea of how far off these guys are….

The level Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi reached was only ever attained by two other guys in 100 years of football history and you mean to tell me Haaland or Mbappe will get their right away after those two guys leave the game?

No chance.

I know these guys are about to retire and people only remember the last few years but, you have realize how absolutely glitchy and broken Ronaldo and Messi were.

They own nearly every record and in their prime they reached a level that Mbappe and Haaland simply don’t have in them. If they broke top 15 I would be very surprised.

Neymar had more ability then both of these young bloood and look at how far he was off compared to the other two freaks of nature. Their are levels to this.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
They own nearly every record and in their prime they reached a level that Mbappe and Haaland simply don’t have in them. If they broke top 15 I would be very surprised.
Except those owned by Haaland or Mbappe ;)

I'm not going to argue your general point, but their stats are excellent and record breaking and it doesn't look like they are slowing down.

SportingCP96

Supports
Except those owned by Haaland or Mbappe ;)

I'm not going to argue your general point, but their stats are excellent and record breaking and it doesn't look like they are slowing down.
I agree with that, they have been phenomenal and their is no denying that!

I just don’t think people realize how extremely hard it is to get to a top 15-10 level let along literally GOAT status.The percentages of getting their are so low.

cheers though mate! ;)

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don’t think you realize how hard it will be for him or mbappe to crack the top 15 list let alone a top 5.

Ronaldo and Messi are their because of the sheer dominance and level they were playing at. Ronaldo is their not just because of his goals but his sheer dominance on the ball. The moment he picked up the ball on the wing for United or Madrid the whole opposition team is scrambling back because he will blow1-2 guys in an instant. He would unleash strikes from 35 yards out like they were penalties.

Ronaldo and Messi have both the sheer numbers and trophies. 5 CL titles, all the balond D or, all the golden boots etc.

Haaland is very one dimensional and to his defence he is fecking brilliant in the box but he can never impact a game or change the game in any other way besides the 6 yard box. He does not have the ability to make the opposition team lose their heads trying to get back because he picked up the ball 50 yards away from goal.

Ronaldo left foo, right foot, headed,distance, freekick, you name it he was fecking unplayable (Messi as well).

Their is a reason what both of these guys were doing in their prime was so breath taking because nobody has ever done it before. They pushed each other to the limit which is why they both get compared to the only two other “gods” in football. That is an extremely hard level to get too.

Mbappe and Haaland don’t have the same level of natural ability that either Ronaldo or Messi had at their absolute best and that’s ok and completely natural. They have everything to be two of the greatest players in the game but it would be an absolute feat to just crack the top 15.

You should go look at a top 15 and see the players on their just to get an idea of how far off these guys are….

The level Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi reached was only ever attained by two other guys in 100 years of football history and you mean to tell me Haaland or Mbappe will get their right away after those two guys leave the game?

No chance.

I know these guys are about to retire and people only remember the last few years but, you have realize how absolutely glitchy and broken Ronaldo and Messi were.

Neymar had more ability then both of these young bloood and look at how far he was off compared to the other two freaks of nature. Their are levels to this.
Messi, I'll concede, he is an alien among men, but CR7? Both Haaland and Mbappe have plenty of natural ability compared to him and were putting up monster numbers across all fronts during their first few years of professional football long before he figured out where the back of the net was in his own career.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I don't think Ronaldo gets anywhere near any GOAT conversation without his goals and high goalratio. He was the focal point in one of the best teams in the history of the game, and his goals and trophies are literally the only things that brings him into any GOAT discussion at all. It isn't his stepovers, passing or crossing.

We've never in the history of European football seen anyone at Haalands age scoring at the rate he is scoring now at the top level and he has some extreme and unique qualities the world hasn't seen on a football pitch before at all. And yet he looks so far from the finished article. The combination is mindblowing. Hence why this thread has 85 pages 4 weeks into the season, Haaland is trending on youtube, on social media and the majority of pundits are jizzing all over him these days.

Scoring goals is the hardest and most important thing to do on a football pitch, and Haaland seems determined to break every record and become the best ever at it.
At the rate he is scoring now he will have a shot at Messi's 92 goals for club and country in a year and will easily score 50 a season even with injuries.
In Messi's 11/12 and 12/13 season when he scored 118 goals in LaLiga (50 and 46 goals) and the CL alone, he scored a goal every 65 minutes he was on the pitch. Haaland so far this season has scored every 46 minutes he's been on the pitch. It's hard to wrap your head around how insane that actually is.

To put that into perspective: C. Ronaldo scored a goal every 99 minutes in his Golden shoe, Ballon d'or, CL and PL winning season with us....
...or: Michael Owen winning the Ballon d'or off the back of a season where Liverpool won the FA, Carabao (didn't play the final) and UEFA cup where he wasn't even topscorer in the PL (scoring 24 goals across all comps).

If he ends up breaking most of the standing goalscoring records and win a shitload of trophies along the way, he will obviously end up somewhere near the top on every GOAT list.
He's is only 22 and there is no guarantees in football, so lets see how it pans out.
I think both Haaland and Mbappe can get into the top 5 GOAT list if they avoid injuries or for some reason suddenly loses it.

Without goalscoring or dominating impact, no one gets into the GOAT conversation, so youre absolutely right that a flair player like Ronaldo either scores the goals, or he is remembered as a really good player. CR7 is unique in the sense that he matured and refined his game as he got older, while still remaining as productive even to this day. He was the best player on MUFC, and he went on to be the best player on a Real Madrid team full of stars of the game. His absolutely insane production is what has catapulted him into the GOAT discussion, possessing key physical attributes the other GOAT does not possess.

Leo Messi however, is perhaps the most legendary player in the game. His entire career spent at FC Barcelona, and a good decade being the player on Barcelona that does everything by himself, using the tiki-taka as a tool for himself to play through opposition defenses by super quick one-twos, to just dribbling through entire teams on his own. Messis sheer otherwordly agility and football IQ stands tall above anyone else alive, and possibly even above Maradona. Where CR7s legacy is being extremely successful at any club he goes to, it does feel like the individual accolades is significantly more important to him than the teams achievements, without knowing for a fact how he actually views those things. Leo Messi would have stuck by Barcelona until the bitter end, had he not been forced out. I suppose that just builds on Messis legacy as the foundation on which modern Barcelona was built.

Erling Haaland is a somewhat new breed of superstar, in a age of social media where profile and money is exponentially increased even compared to the past decade, in a career where his moves have been engineered to both bolster his professional development and his take home purse every transfer, I dont belive we will view him as anything other than a extreme goalscorer without any particular club affiliation. Sure he will play for clubs, but I doubt he will be associated as much as a GOAT club player, as he will be remembered for (potentially) shattering goalscoring records, then moving to new teams eventually. Haaland lacks the versitable agility of Messi, the extremey physical endurance of Ronaldo and the ability to dribble past 5 defenders and put it top bins. What Haaland does have is his main attribute: pace, IQ and strenth. When he goes, generally, thats it. He is going to put it in the net. If the through ball passes the defender, Haaland gets to the ball first, and then he will score.

He will never be a GOAT in the sense that we talk about the greats that made their success from attacking midfield. He can however go down as the most prolific goalscorer and best pure striker in the games history, something that only the next decade can reveal.

SportingCP96

Supports
Messi, I'll concede, he is an alien among men, but CR7? Both Haaland and Mbappe have plenty of natural ability compared to him and were putting up monster numbers across all fronts during their first few years of professional football long before he figured out where the back of the net was in his own career.
They are nowhere near the talents Ronaldo was, not even remotely close.

You can’t say “ya only Messi” when he literally shared the stage with Ronaldo who bested him for multiple years (as did Messi to Ronaldo at one point) they equally split the stage for 15 years like has never been seen Before.

Thinking otherwise is pure ignorance and I won’t event begin to dive into that rabbit hole of nonsensical arguing.

Nogho

He’s a poacher. Has always been. He’s best at what he does. He’s this kind of human being that is at the exact right spot in life and managing to do the very best out of it. That is an achievement on it’s own. Why even arguing about or comparing him to players who doesn’t even play his position. He’s already done two hat-tricks in six games. Amazing. Sadly in the wrong side of town.

First Saudi money, then Pep and now him. The curse goes on. If he stays fit and keeps eating his super food - I wouldn’t be surprised if he score close to 50 goals in the PL alone. Madness.

Telsim

The best the other PL teams can hope for is he fecks off to Barcelona or Real Madrid in a few years. No one else will get a whiff of the title as long as City have him.

Mike Smalling

The best the other PL teams can hope for is he fecks off to Barcelona or Real Madrid in a few years. No one else will get a whiff of the title as long as City have him.
That's extremely hyperbolic. He's come into an already very, very good side and looks to have made them better, but if the quality around him drops, so will his goal tally. Let's start out by seeing what happens, when City no longer have Pep.

Telsim

That's extremely hyperbolic. He's come into an already very, very good side and looks to have made them better, but if the quality around him drops, so will his goal tally. Let's start out by seeing what happens, when City no longer have Pep.
Not really. City are the best ran club in the world and have a bottomless pit of money. They can find both the best talent and can pay for it. They will simply freshen the team around him as the current ones fall off and get sold.

troylocker

They are nowhere near the talents Ronaldo was, not even remotely close.

You can’t say “ya only Messi” when he literally shared the stage with Ronaldo who bested him for multiple years (as did Messi to Ronaldo at one point) they equally split the stage for 15 years like has never been seen Before.

Thinking otherwise is pure ignorance and I won’t event begin to dive into that rabbit hole of nonsensical arguing.
I think we'll know in 15 years, won't we? Numbers wise they are both ahead of the greats at the same age.
They are very different type of players with different type of qualities, so bastantly claiming that one is more talented than the other and that it is not even close so early in their career makes no sense really. I have never seen a player with the extreme tools Haaland has in his toolbox before. The physical dominance combined with his movement and understanding of space in the last third is simply the best I've seen. They have talents in different aspects of the game thats all. You like the dribbler type better and that's fine.

No chance.

Why did you edit out the part where you claimed Ronaldo could take shots from 35 yards + out like they were penalties? Made me smile.
How many of Ronaldo's shots from outside the 18 yard box found the back of the net in Ronaldo's career do you think? (I only have detailed data from league games from 14/15 to present) 20 of his last 233 league goals came from outside the penalty area. The rest are from, yes, inside the penalty area. Of his shots from outside the box in league games since 2014:
20 goals (8 freekicks), 7 hit the woodwork, 200-ish saved, 180-ish blocked, 200-ish missed. Thats 12 goals form open play outside the penalty area from more than 500 shots....

From how many soloraids from 50 yards+ out has he scored in his career? Once a season, maybe once every other season or maybe even not that often.

My point is that Ronaldo's bread and butter was scoring goals inside the box as well. He was just as dependent of service as every other striker most of the time, and had the best service available and has averaged 5,92 shots per game the last 10 seasons in league games. Still Haaland has a higher goals/90 rate than Ronaldo, despite averaging just 3,51 shots/90. Now Haaland has arrived at a club that provides the best service in the business, so expect records to be destroyed. I'll be very surprised if the PL record for most goals in a season doesn't belong to Haaland already early spring next year.

If you don't think Haaland imposes fear on defenders in the PL, think again.

Haaland is only 22 years old, and there is no guarantees in football, but it's not impossible that Haaland has won 5+ ballon d'ors, 4+ CL-titles, and 6+ LaLiga/PL titles in his career when the dust has settled. Who knows? If he avoids serious injuries anything is possible.

Mike Smalling

Not really. City are the best ran club in the world and have a bottomless pit of money. They can find both the best talent and can pay for it. They will simply freshen the team around him as the current ones fall off and get sold.
Yeah, I just don't think Haaland is a game changer in that sense. They have won 4 out of the last 5 Premier League titles and a load of domestic cups without him anyway. I don't really see him improving on that.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yeah, I just don't think Haaland is a game changer in that sense. They have won 4 out of the last 5 Premier League titles and a load of domestic cups without him anyway. I don't really see him improving on that.
CL is the benchmark, nothing else. If they won it, he'd be a success. If they keep failing, he will just be statpadding, nothing else.

erikcred

Of course they can improve. Two of these 4 titles were won by a single point. Basically a penalty here, a deflection there and we're having a completely different discussion. Haaland will wipe out even those small margins and ifs and buts. They'll comfortably finish 7-10 points ahead of 2nd every season.

SportingCP96

Supports
I think we'll know in 15 years, won't we? Numbers wise they are both ahead of the greats at the same age.
They are very different type of players with different type of qualities, so bastantly claiming that one is more talented than the other and that it is not even close so early in their career makes no sense really. I have never seen a player with the extreme tools Haaland has in his toolbox before. The physical dominance combined with his movement and understanding of space in the last third is simply the best I've seen. They have talents in different aspects of the game thats all. You like the dribbler type better and that's fine.

Why did you edit out the part where you claimed Ronaldo could take shots from 35 yards + out like they were penalties? Made me smile.
How many of Ronaldo's shots from outside the 18 yard box found the back of the net in Ronaldo's career do you think? (I only have detailed data from league games from 14/15 to present) 20 of his last 233 league goals came from outside the penalty area. The rest are from, yes, inside the penalty area. Of his shots from outside the box in league games since 2014:
20 goals (8 freekicks), 7 hit the woodwork, 200-ish saved, 180-ish blocked, 200-ish missed. Thats 12 goals form open play outside the penalty area from more than 500 shots....

From how many soloraids from 50 yards+ out has he scored in his career? Once a season, maybe once every other season or maybe even not that often.

My point is that Ronaldo's bread and butter was scoring goals inside the box as well. He was just as dependent of service as every other striker most of the time, and had the best service available and has averaged 5,92 shots per game the last 10 seasons in league games. Still Haaland has a higher goals/90 rate than Ronaldo, despite averaging just 3,51 shots/90. Now Haaland has arrived at a club that provides the best service in the business, so expect records to be destroyed. I'll be very surprised if the PL record for most goals in a season doesn't belong to Haaland already early spring next year.

If you don't think Haaland imposes fear on defenders in the PL, think again.

Haaland is only 22 years old, and there is no guarantees in football, but it's not impossible that Haaland has won 5+ ballon d'ors, 4+ CL-titles, and 6+ LaLiga/PL titles in his career when the dust has settled. Who knows? If he avoids serious injuries anything is possible.
Edit what out? That’s still on my post. And yes Ronaldo was always a danger from distance he could score goals from anywhere on the pitch and in any ways.

As for Haaland winning 5 Balon D or it’s very unlikely.

Before Ronaldo and Messi the highest number was 3.

So like I said it’s extremely hard to get to the level they both achieved.

Haaland and Mbappe sniffing the top 15 would be a hell of an achievement already and even that will be very hard for them .

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

Of course they can improve. Two of these 4 titles were won by a single point. Basically a penalty here, a deflection there and we're having a completely different discussion. Haaland will wipe out even those small margins and ifs and buts. They'll comfortably finish 7-10 points ahead of 2nd every season.
They've averaged 92 points over the last five seasons (including the season they didn't win the league). That's outrageous. Do you really think the arrival of Haaland will mean that they increase that average over the next five?

fallengt

United should sign Haaland's cousin. Tjaaland has amazing recover for teenager. it runs in the family

croadyman

The most terrifying thing for the rest of this league is he's not playing in World Cup so will be fresh for second half of season

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The kind of player there is zero point hating/wishing ill of because it’ll just drain and tire you mentally. Go into every game expecting great things is the only way to deal.

AaronRedDevil

It's a shame he's going to retire a City player. If he was a united player Real Madrid would be kicking down the door next summer. How do they always manage to keep the players.