Nordic Goal Yeti | Haaland at City

tenpoless

He celebrates goals of his City teammates like mad
I saw him react to a pass by KDB for Bernado's goal, and I just thought "what an awesome guy". He has no ego. That's why he can focus as well as he does
You mean like what other 10000 footballers would do when their team mate scores a goal.
Okay, he scores a lot of goals. But we shouldn't think whatever he does becomes special. Celebrating with team mates means you're an awesome guy and has no ego.... FFS thats so stupid.

Last edited:

Ladron de redcafe

Messi and Ronaldo were the only players in history (? - atleast recent memory) who were able to get close to 50 a season in the league.
If we are only talking about leagues goals, I agree that I don't see Haaland scoring 50 in a league season (but then again the only man to do it was Messi in 2011-12).
In all competitions Luis Suarez scored 59 goals in the 2015-16 season while having double digit assists. Lewandowski scored 55 goals in a season and 69 in a calendar year (only Messi's 91 tops that). Ibrahimovic has also scored 50 goals.

Lewandowski scored 40 goals in the Bundesliga which only has 34 matches in a season, making it much more difficult to top the marks that others reach at different leagues.

Last edited:

troylocker

This is exremely wrong. Luis Suarez scored 59 goals in the 2015-16 season while having double digit assists. Lewandowski scored 55 goals in a season and 69 in a calendar year (only Messi's 91 tops that). Ibrahimovic has also scored 50 goals.
Hence why he said league goals.

Suarez only had one season where he score 1+ goals per match, he reached 40 in the league.
Lewa has played in a 18 teams-league, so even tougher to get there, but if he had stayed injuryfree in the 20/21 season he could have done it. I guess we’ll see what he does this season, as it looks like he’ll have a serious go at it.
Ibra was never close either, reached 38 in his freak season.
Messi’s record is 50 while Ronnie’s is 48 league goals in single season.
I think Haaland can join that 50+ club if he avoids injuries. If not this season, then in at least one of the next 10-15 seasons. He still hasn’t had an injuryfree season, so let’s see.

Ladron de redcafe

Hence why he said league goals.

Suarez only had one season where he score 1+ goals per match, he reached 40 in the league.
Lewa has played in a 18 teams-league, so even tougher to get there, but if he had stayed injuryfree in the 20/21 season he could have done it. I guess we’ll see what he does this season, as it looks like he’ll have a serious go at it.
Ibra was never close either, reached 38 in his freak season.
Messi’s record is 50 while Ronnie’s is 48 league goals in single season.
I think Haaland can join that 50+ club if he avoids injuries. If not this season, then in at least one of the next 10-15 seasons. He still hasn’t had an injuryfree season, so let’s see.
See my edit. I agree with him that it won't happen and think 50 in all competition by someone playing in the English top flight would be a more interesting discussion. The premier league record is 32 goals. As great as Haaland is, I think that topping the existing mark by 18 goals is difficult. I'm not sure we can extrapolate his scoring average of the first 7 matches over 38.

Maybe I'm more cynical than you are, and I hope we do see strikers approach that 50 goals in a domestic league mark, but it's a high bar.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
See my edit. I agree with him that it won't happen and think 50 in all competition by someone playing in the English top flight would be a more interesting discussion. The premier league record is 32 goals. As great as Haaland is, I think that topping the existing mark by 18 goals is difficult. I'm not sure we can extrapolate his scoring average of the first 7 matches over 38.

Maybe I'm more cynical than you are, and I hope we do see strikers approach that 50 goals in a domestic league mark, but it's a high bar.
I doubt anyone will ever beat Dixie Deans record but goalscoring in that period was overall a bit mad.

Post WWII is a fair line to draw if we are comparing to guys like Messi and Ronaldo since they were breaking records from that period.

Jimmy Greaves scored 41 goals in a 42 game season. If haaland can score 38 I'd say that makes him the best league goalscorer in the post WWII era over a single season.

Handré1990

Most professional footballers can do most things around the box. But he's clearly an out and out poacher but an exceptional one. I'm not sure why people want to pretend he's a great footballer in his general play. The player himself said he dreams of scoring 5 goals with 5 touches in a game.
I never said he’s a great fotballer? I’m not going to bother going back and quoting myself, but pretty sure I’ve described him as efficient, even his clumsy looking technique is efficient somehow, and why I always found the Lukaku comparisons ridiculous.

For the record, I don’t think he’ll ever be a great alround player. He will be the best at the most important aspect in the game, though, putting the ball in the back of the net, which I celebrate as a Norwegian (maybe we can make our first int. tournament since 2000…). I still find him an insufferable cnut, and even more so after the way he answered questions about City’s owners.

Ladron de redcafe

I doubt anyone will ever beat Dixie Deans record but goalscoring in that period was overall a bit mad.

Post WWII is a fair line to draw if we are comparing to guys like Messi and Ronaldo since they were breaking records from that period.

Jimmy Greaves scored 41 goals in a 42 game season. If haaland can score 38 I'd say that makes him the best league goalscorer in the post WWII era over a single season.
I agree. Nobody is going to touch 60 goals in a league campaign ever again. But football back then featured some heavy scorelines.

As you pointed out, Greaves' 41 goals in the 1960-61 season is the current post-WW2 record for goals in an English top flight season, but that came in a 42 matches in a season format.

It will be interesting to see whether he can hit 38 goals in the league (which would top Greaves (1963) and Davies' (1967) for 2nd most since the war. At the very least, he can get 35 which would be the most in the premier league era.

wangyu

Name a player whose all round play has improved "ten fold". He's been the same as before in this regard this season - but scoring more goals. It's more a case of letting City players do what they do brilliantly i.e create chances for absolute fun and ensuring he puts away one or two in the box. Rather than suddenly arriving in the same galaxy as a Henry or Suarez in terms of his buildup play.

I actually think it's good that he knows what he excels at and focuses on that rather than over indulging and wanting to be something he's not. People do take the poacher thing as a huge insult as if it's terrible to classify him as such.
well ok maybe tenfold is an exaggeration but he should get better still. Everybody does and considering Haaland is very eager and hungry for more there should be a substantial growth coming. If it doesn’t happen then there is no harm either because at this level already he will win a ballon d’or.

He also has that extra quality that De Bruyne has, both of them scan the pitch constantly looking for spaces to work in when they don’t have the ball. This means they are often one step ahead of the opposition.

RkkMan

As I've been saying but people are refusing to believe Haaland isn't staying at City longer than 4/5yrs at an absolute stretch.

Marwood

As I've been saying but people are refusing to believe Haaland isn't staying at City longer than 4/5yrs at an absolute stretch.
And with every move a cut of the fee for yourself of course Alfie ;)

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
He should be living under a bridge bothering lost and weary travellers.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Seems poised to break the all time record which insanely impressive considering that 42 games a season was the norm back then.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It's only because it's world cup year that he's not certain to win the Ballon D'or.

slored1

He might be the best 22 year-old striker I have ever seen. Ridiculous. (Before anyone mentions R9, I'm not old enough to have watched him)

Nero

Yet again repeating the exact same comments as last week.

Theonas

Scout
He might be the best 22 year-old striker I have ever seen. Ridiculous. (Before anyone mentions R9, I'm not old enough to have watched him)
Ronaldo is the only that come to mind mainly because he had one thing over Haaland, he could dribble and beat players one on one much better. But in everything else, this dude is a freak, never seen anything like him.

LARulz

Ronaldo is the only that come to mind mainly because he had one thing over Haaland, he could dribble and beat players one on one much better. But in everything else, this dude is a freak, never seen anything like him.
Yep. Ronaldo was more an all round package (pun not intended) but Halaand is just a freak.

He reminds me of RvN in that you just know he will score. With the chances City create, he should be putting bonkers numbers up

marktan

As good as he is, it's KDB that really makes him and City special. The day that guy slows down will be a relief to every other team.