Northern Ireland Thread

acnumber9

Haven’t seen this mentioned much in the news but if you want a £100 free voucher for the high street which you are eligible for, you have to renew your voting registration..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58070740
I’ve received nothing through the post about re-registering. Are people being asked to do it online because that’s contrary to what they said last week?

Deery

Dreary
I’ve received nothing through the post about re-registering. Are people being asked to do it online because that’s contrary to what they said last week?
I never got anything about re-registering either it says on the article that they wiped the register in June 10. I just registered online there now only took a few minutes.

acnumber9

I never got anything about re-registering either it says on the article that they wiped the register in June 10. I just registered online there now only took a few minutes.
Same. Though it says they may contact you in the next ten days and I know in the past that they often want evidence of address etc. They’d have more take up if they actually bothered making it simple for people to register.

Deery

Dreary
Same. Though it says they may contact you in the next ten days and I know in the past that they often want evidence of address etc. They’d have more take up if they actually bothered making it simple for people to register.
Yeah or even made people aware about it I just stumbled across it didn’t know about registering until today, but 100 quid is 100 quid happy days!

Deery

Dreary
I reckon once you re-register to vote within a few months they'll start badgering you to do jury duty again.

Might give it a miss in that case.
I’ve never had to do jury duty so it never even crossed my mind..

stevoc

I’ve never had to do jury duty so it never even crossed my mind..
You might be fine mate, but about 10-12 years ago after I got an Electoral identity card I got called for Jury Duty about 4-5 times. I was running out of excuses then they eventually just left me alone, haven't been called up in years though.

Deery

Dreary
I’m having difficulty with that article freezing my phone. Can you please link how/where to claim. It’s for my sister
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote that’s the link to register but it’s been taken off the article and the article has now changed to say the past register has not been wiped and previously registered people will get their £100 voucher… bit confusing like :houllier:

I think they send a card in through your door if you’re registered.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote that’s the link to register but it’s been taken off the article and the article has now changed to say the past register has not been wiped and previously registered people will get their £100 voucher… bit confusing like :houllier:

I think they send a card in through your door if you’re registered.
Thanks fella

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
What's the idea with the GB flags all over the place ?
Is that a signal that Irishness is not welcome?
Very off-putting for a tourist from the South with no particular interest in sectarian politics

Diving into templepatrick from Airport side must have about 50 GB and crown flags

acnumber9

Very off-putting for a tourist from the South with no particular interest in sectarian politics

Diving into templepatrick from Airport side must have about 50 GB and crown flags
Just showing support for our boys and girls in the olympics obviously.

McGrathsipan

Have to compliment the effort all the same.
Some of them flags are 50 feet up atop of the lamppoles.
They weren't put up there by old biddies

Deery

Dreary

GB flags? You mean Union Jacks?

McGrathsipan

Anyway my wife got to the final of the art competition she was in.

Her painting is up against the other finalists.

Vote link

Do your thing lads give her a vote.

@Dawn mc Grath

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Tons of Irish flags all over the place too to be fair depending on where you are.

McGrathsipan

I'd say there is but I didn't see any.
I drove into Belfast and then across the M1 into Tyrone and crossed back over near Cavan.

Didn't see any tricolours at all.
Saw alot of union Jack's even all along the motorway and lots of bunting and flags in some towns.

Again as I'm not interested in sectarian politics or hate its quite intimidating to pull into a town with an Irish reg car. That's probably ridiculous in this day and age but still that's my perception.

arnie_ni

I drove into Belfast and then across the M1 into Tyrone and crossed back over near Cavan.

Saw alot of union Jack's even all along the motorway and lots of bunting and flags in some towns.

Again as I'm not interested in sectarian politics or hate its quite intimidating to pull into a town with an Irish reg car. That's probably ridiculous in this day and age but still that's my perception.
Time of year. They all go up for the 12th and come down shortly again.

fergosaurus

You're spot on, they're tacky and a stain on the country. Unions flags aren't even the worst of it, there's loads of paramilitary flags which are even more intimidating. Most of them are up all year round too - not just the marching seasons. Then you've got things like this on a busy road in East Belfast.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

The time of George Bests funeral, a former poster from Dublin drove up with the Redcafe wreath. He parked in a dodgy part of Belfast like you describe and had southern plates. When he got out of the car a few lads approached him and asked him what he was doing there. Once he told them he was there for bests funeral they watched his car for him until he came back

arnie_ni

Anyone know the ones involved in the murder of the child in Dungannon?

The guys got around, Belfast Enniskillen Larne and omagh where I'm from.

Know him to see from about town back when he was here.

Deery

Dreary

Don’t know them but he’s a proper bastard, apparently the baby was so badly injured they couldn’t tell exactly how many times she was actually hit.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

No idea who the feck they are. Horrible stuff.

arnie_ni

They are quite easily found on social media if you search the names announced in the press today. He's very recognisable if you've seen him before.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You're spot on, they're tacky and a stain on the country. Unions flags aren't even the worst of it, there's loads of paramilitary flags which are even more intimidating. Most of them are up all year round too - not just the marching seasons. Then you've got things like this on a busy road in East Belfast.

Mate if you want to see the other side, il happily face time you showing CIRA and RIRA flags and murals that are up every day of the year, I can literally drive 15mins and I will be there. Not to mention the flags, placards and murals celebrating the hunger strikers 30 years celebrations.

fergosaurus

Mate if you want to see the other side, il happily face time you showing CIRA and RIRA flags and murals that are up every day of the year, I can literally drive 15mins and I will be there. Not to mention the flags, placards and murals celebrating the hunger strikers.
I'm certainly not disputing that and I've seen it first hand. Not nearly as often though as I'm from a unionist background and have to drive past these monstrosities often, which is why I commented on them.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
There's simply no comparison between the number of Union flags, bunting and other loyalist symbols, together with the frequency with which they appear, and Irish flags and republican symbols across NI.

Anyone claiming otherwise leads a very Belfast-centric life imo.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
There's simply no comparison between the number of Union flags, bunting and other loyalist symbols, together with the frequency with which they appear, and Irish flags and republican symbols across NI.

Anyone claiming otherwise leads a very Belfast-centric life imo.
Catholics small towns have tricolours, Unionist have Union flags. In bigger towns its just segregated, I live in the North East, I would agree there is more Union flags but its not that far apart.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Catholics small towns have tricolours, Unionist have Union flags. In bigger towns its just segregated, I live in the North East.
I'm not claiming there aren't towns with Irish flags flying (which I hate seeing btw...nothing screams respect like seeing your national flag on a lamp-post :rolleyes:).

I'm comparing the sheer number and how often they appear across this place; and Unionist/loyalist flags and symbols heavily out-weigh the other.