Northern Ireland Thread

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm not claiming there aren't towns with Irish flags flying (which I hate seeing btw...nothing screams respect like seeing your national flag on a lamp-post :rolleyes:).

I'm comparing the number and how often they appear; and Unionist/loyalist flags and symbols heavily out-weigh the other.
I agree there are more but in my local town there are 2 large estates where the tricolours fly with all year round, along with black flags with picture of the hunger strikers. In there same town there are UDA and UVF flag flying too, to be honest neither particularly annoy me its just how it is, for sure the PSNI will do feck all.

Deery

Dreary
Catholic towns would have very few if any tri colours or sectarian symbols flying, some places would have them were you’d probably expect to see them, but nearly every Unionist area is plastered in them every lamppost, street kerbs, roundabouts for God sake. No comparison really…

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I hate the fecking sight of them, both of the sides. It really makes you hate flags to see them as symbols of sectarianism. It makes you feel uneasy going into such areas.

I remember years ago copping off with this lasx from a nationalist area of derry. Went back to hers. He da cane home “daddy this is x and he’s a Protestant”. Shit pants moment. But he was cool with it. The big brother came home, skin head Celtic top on him. I didn’t get introduced, as as Protestant or otherwise. Thank god. She left the room, he says to me “do you like football?”. I’m like nah, don’t like sports. I left shortly later. I ran home. Flags and murals everywhere. Lads on street corners even though it was like 3 in the morning.
About time we stopped making segregated areas and schools. We’re the same people with the same problems in life

Duafc

Village Lemon
Comparing the level of flags and colours in typically ‘aye but themuns’ fashion is tragically Northern Irish.

Deery

Dreary
Nearly every Unionist area has every lamppost, kerb and roundabout covered in flags or painted? That’s utter nonsense.
I agree, maybe 10-15 years ago but there is only one village where I have seen kerbs painted any more.
Don’t know what planet you’s guys are living on but it’s not the same one I’m on.

To say Nationalist areas have the same amount of flags as Unionists and now that they don’t paint kerbs is blatant lies..

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Don’t know what planet you’s guys are living on but it’s not the same one I’m on.

To say Nationalist areas have the same amount of flags as Unionists and now that they don’t paint kerbs is blatant lies..

Who the hell goes to Limavady. I'm not saying some towns don't do it but to say its every town it way off the mark. Also that was 3 years ago.

Any way like everything here its all a bit silly, same town, same year, different colours :lol:.

Tricolour painted kerbs treated as a hate crime - The Irish News

Again I agree there is certainly more Unionist flags about but lets not argue who is worst, it just sums this backwater up completely.

Deery

Dreary
Who the hell goes to Limavady. I'm not saying some towns don't do it but to say its every town it way off the mark. Also that was 3 years ago.

Any way like everything here its all a bit silly, same town, same year, different colours :lol:.

Tricolour painted kerbs treated as a hate crime - The Irish News

Again I agree there is certainly more Unionist flags about but lets not argue who is worst, it just sums this backwater up completely.
It may have been 3 years ago but it still remains to this day even last month a UDA flag was flown from the council building right beside a police station.

I’d disagree there still is lots of red, white and blue plastered all over the place, but I’m not particularly bothered anymore so we can stop this back and forth if you like.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It may have been 3 years ago but it still remains to this day even last month a UDA flag was flown from the council building right beside a police station.

I’d disagree there still is lots of red, white and blue plastered all over the place, but I’m not particularly bothered anymore so we can stop this back and forth if you like.
Have to laugh at the "Efforts are being made to hire a contractor to remove it" :lol: And I would prefer too, its pointless and clear neither of us think its right.

Deery

Dreary
Have to laugh at the "Efforts are being made to hire a contractor to remove it" :lol: And I would prefer too, its pointless and clear neither of us think its right.
Yeah I hate seeing the tri colours being flown to intimidate or entice other people, if we all had a bit more respect for each other the place would be much nicer to live, but I blame certain politicians for that.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
When I was growing up in Derry, Limavady was known as the ‘armpit of the North’.
Does that mean Larne is the arsehole of the North?

Yeah I hate seeing the tri colours being flown to intimidate or entice other people, if we all had a bit more respect for each other the place would be much nicer to live, but I blame certain politicians for that.
Agreed.

acnumber9

So Limavady is now nearly every Unionist area? I’m living in the present. I don’t know what time period you’re living in.

I never said anything about how many flags are flown in Nationalist areas. I’m just questioning a blatant exaggeration that paints others in as bad a light as possible.

Deery

Dreary
So Limavady is now nearly every Unionist area? I’m living in the present. I don’t know what time period you’re living in.

I never said anything about how many flags are flown in Nationalist areas. I’m just questioning a blatant exaggeration that paints others in as bad a light as possible.
Alright we’ll leave it at that, I’m not on here looking for a row. I just think it’s a bit rich trashing Catholic areas when it’s a faction of the display that’s shown.

acnumber9

Alright we’ll leave it at that, I’m not on here looking for a row. I just think it’s a bit rich trashing Catholic areas when it’s a faction of the display that’s shown.
Yeah, you just wanted to trash every Unionist area without challenge.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Haven’t seen a painted curb in years to be fair.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Come on fellas. Can we not agree that they look ridiculous either side and leave it at that?
I understand what you are saying and I do agree with you but its clearly nowhere near even in this. I live in South Belfast in a very mixed area (probably majority nationalist now) yet theres NI flags and butchers aprons flying on every lamp post on the Ormeau Road. I used to live closer to the river in a more Republican area and you had maybe a few tricolours hanging out of the windows during Easter and thats about it. Outside of Republican West Belfast there really isnt any demarcation of an area in anywhere compared to the PUL side.

fergosaurus

I understand what you are saying and I do agree with you but its clearly nowhere near even in this. I live in South Belfast in a very mixed area (probably majority nationalist now) yet theres NI flags and butchers aprons flying on every lamp post on the Ormeau Road. I used to live closer to the river in a more Republican area and you had maybe a few tricolours hanging out of the windows during Easter and thats about it. Outside of Republican West Belfast there really isnt any demarcation of an area in anywhere compared to the PUL side.
I was driving up the Ormeau Road earlier and there were no flags on the lower part and then as soon as you come to the bridge there's a shitload of flags which tells a story. Obviously there are murals though which I'm not a big fan of.

Bobski

I was driving up the Ormeau Road earlier and there were no flags on the lower part and then as soon as you come to the bridge there's a shitload of flags which tells a story. Obviously there are murals though which I'm not a big fan of.
Take a drive down towards the Annadale flats and see the absurd number of flags being flown, even for Belfast it is an anomaly. Cousin works in rentals and he has had countless potential clients(from out of the City) call for a viewing on properties they have seen online then ditch as soon as they see the areas. Most moderate types just don't want to to deal with all that shite.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Yeah as soon as you cross the bridge heading Forestside direction the flags are everywhere. To be honest it doesn't bother me as much as it used to because I basically think unionism is finished but still theres a noticeable difference between flags and paint between the two communities. I don't put up with false equivalency narratives so I feel like I have to point it out when I see it.

fergosaurus

Take a drive down towards the Annadale flats and see the absurd number of flags being flown, even for Belfast it is an anomaly. Cousin works in rentals and he has had countless potential clients(from out of the City) call for a viewing on properties they have seen online then ditch as soon as they see the areas. Most moderate types just don't want to to deal with all that shite.
I remember me and my ex-housemate viewing an end terrace house we saw online and when he got there it had a scummy looking mural on the side of it and we couldn't get out of there quick enough.

Deery

Dreary
Derry is awash with UDA, UVF, Israeli, Parachute Regiment, Soldier F, flags the Rossdowney Road is full of them more than I’ve ever seen before, I think they’re trying to send out a message or show of strength. I could see more riots coming or unrest..

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
This thread today has painted a pretty fecking grim picture of us, tit for tat bullshit over fecking flegs, catch yourselves on. A new Ireland, just the same meaningless nonsense over and over again.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Belfast is full of ducking nut jobs. Never seen a more bitter mob concentrated in one area. It’s a shame because the city is a cracking city

Deery

Dreary
This thread today has painted a pretty fecking grim picture of us, tit for tat bullshit over fecking flegs, catch yourselves on. A new Ireland, just the same meaningless nonsense over and over again.
Like paper to a match, it’s to be expected..