Northern Ireland Thread

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This is more interesting...and I've long thought it too -

Irish unity referendum 'would not be needed in Republic of Ireland'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58876721
I’m no legal expert so I will leave that side to those who are, but forcing your citizens without say into something is never a good idea. Particularly if they end up paying higher taxes, longer wait times for hospital services etc. Surely it’s right that the people down here get a say too?

Maticmaker

I’m no legal expert so I will leave that side to those who are, but forcing your citizens without say into something is never a good idea. Particularly if they end up paying higher taxes, longer wait times for hospital services etc. Surely it’s right that the people down here get a say too?
I have some friends and relatives in both NI and the Republic, over a long period of time the general view among them seems to have been that whenever a time is ever reach when the North wants to join the South, it will be the South that rejects it. Obviously this is just anecdotal, but if its not a legal requirement then not holding a referendum in the South is maybe because the politicians fear this might be the result?

I have often been told by my Irish friends and relatives its the same thing as asking the rest of the UK do they want Scotland to leave or stay, its unlikely to happen!

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I have some friends and relatives in both NI and the Republic, over a long period of time the general view among them seems to have been that whenever a time is ever reach when the North wants to join the South, it will be the South that rejects it. Obviously this is just anecdotal, but if its not a legal requirement then not holding a referendum in the South is maybe because the politicians fear this might be the result?

I have often been told by my Irish friends and relatives its the same thing as asking the rest of the UK do they want Scotland to leave or stay, its unlikely to happen!
Latest polling (published May this year) indicates 67% in the Republic in favor of unification -https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1213202/

thebelfastboy

Once the intricacies and detail is worked out on what reunification would mean North/South; a vote in the South would be little more than a box ticking exercise.

The benefits to the entire country would be huge in terms of the investment and funding that would be provided from the EU and America.

I've no doubt at all that it would sail through, and the sooner that time comes the better.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
It's because Article 3 of the Irish Constitution states that unity is"'the firm will of the Irish Nation, in harmony and friendship, to unite all the people who share the territory of the island of Ireland in all the diversity of their identities and traditions, recognising that a united Ireland shall be brought about only by peaceful means with the consent of a majority of the people, democratically expressed, in both jurisdictions in the island."

And that the majority consent referred to above has already been given in the South. But of course there are other non-constitutional considerations as to why there could/should be a referendum on it.

Anyway...if there is a referendum, which still seems likely, any rejection would be utterly shameful imo.

Deery

Dreary
Just lovely, looks like we’re set for a month of rioting I blame the DUP…

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

arnie_ni

140 positive covid tests and over 800 isolating after a teenage disco at the elk.

Mad

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
140 positive covid tests and over 800 isolating after a teenage disco at the elk.

Mad
Good thing we’ve got boatloads of spare doctors and nurses to deal with these sorts of things :rolleyes:

My step mum got diagnosed with an autoimmune disease last week, but had been told at various points that there’s so little capacity they’ll struggle to do x, y and z. So they went to private healthcare for the first time and were shocked to find out they have no spare capacity at all, the whole idea of it being a way to get things done when the system’s overloaded…both systems are overloaded.

She was basically lucky to get a couple of tests done and it all relied on individuals going out of their way to squeeze things in outside the system. My aunt didn’t have such luck with her cancer check up.

But hey it’s all worth a night out at the Elk, right lads?

acnumber9

Good thing we’ve got boatloads of spare doctors to deal with these sorts of things :rolleyes:

My step mum got diagnosed with an autoimmune disease last week, but had been told at various points that there’s so little capacity they’ll struggle to do x, y and z. So they went to private healthcare for the first time and were shocked to find out they have no spare capacity at all, the whole idea of it being a way to get things down when the system’s overloaded…both systems are overloaded.

She was basically lucky to get a couple of tests done and it all relied on individuals going out of their way to squeeze things in outside the system. My aunt didn’t have such luck with her cancer check up.

While there’s no doubt that’s all a disgrace I’m not sure it’s fair to put it on some kids going to a disco. Our health service being under financed and badly managed is the problem.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Good thing we’ve got boatloads of spare doctors and nurses to deal with these sorts of things :rolleyes:

My step mum got diagnosed with an autoimmune disease last week, but had been told at various points that there’s so little capacity they’ll struggle to do x, y and z. So they went to private healthcare for the first time and were shocked to find out they have no spare capacity at all, the whole idea of it being a way to get things done when the system’s overloaded…both systems are overloaded.

It is mad out there right now - I work in NHS and we get regular emails with updates from the wards and it makes grim reading. Then you go on facebook and forums and it's full of utter bellends horrified at the thought of them being asked to have a vaccine or up in arms about possible vaccine passports. They seem unaware that it is actually THEM who are extending all this shit for everybody else and it is THEM who are forcing the government into considering vaccine passports in the first place.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
While there’s no doubt that’s all a disgrace I’m not sure it’s fair to put it on some kids going to a disco. Our health service being under financed and badly managed is the problem.
No doubt that’s the much bigger and long-term problem but you can’t just decide to do things in ignorance of the reality you exist in and the consequences those acts pose.

If we put ourselves at risk to the extent where we might be hospitalised, then we need to consider what the downstream effects are for other people. After considering those consequences we can make a decision on whether the risks are outbalanced by the rewards. Here, objectively, that wasn’t the case. Not in the situation we’re in.

Kids make stupid decisions, it’s just part of their makeup, but part of being in a society means you have to be held accountable for your decisions. Kids have diminished responsibility if we use the legal framework, but they still have responsibility. I made loads of bad decisions as a teenager, some which put other people in a bad position, and accountability was just baked into that.

acnumber9

No doubt that’s the much bigger and long-term problem but you can’t just decide to do things in ignorance of the reality you exist in and the consequences those acts pose.

If we put ourselves at risk to the extent where we might be hospitalised, then we need to consider what the downstream effects are for other people. After considering those consequences we can make a decision on whether the risks are outbalanced by the rewards. Here, objectively, that wasn’t the case. Not in the situation we’re in.

Kids make stupid decisions, it’s just part of their makeup, but part of being in a society means you have to be held accountable for your decisions. Kids have diminished responsibility if we use the legal framework, but they still have responsibility. I made loads of bad decisions as a teenager, some which put other people in a bad position, and accountability was just baked into that.
That’s true and there’s no doubt some kids are just dicks who think of nobody but themselves. The bigger culprit in that scenario though is the venue that allowed it. Ultimately kids will always push the boundaries of what they’re allowed to do.

stevoc

https://villagemagazine.ie/soldier-...a-second-soldier-involved-in-both-events-was/

Grim. Hadn't heard of this before. This specifically, that is, I had heard of Bloody Sunday, obviously.
It is now beginning to look like Cleary and a group of paratroopers attached to the Support Company of the 1st Battalion of the Parachute Regiment (1 Para) were identified, recruited and groomed to carry out the extermination of civilians in any circumstance, including on occasions when they posed no threat to the British Army. The man in charge of Cleary and his comrades was Colonel Derek Wilford. He is on record as having said that all Catholics support the IRA. Thus, to kill a Catholic was tantamount to killing a supporter or member of the IRA. That attitude was undoubtedly shared by Cleary and others in 1 Para. The contempt and disdain they had for Catholics became grotesquely manifest in the Bogside on Bloody Sunday.

Bearing the foregoing in mind, it is quite likely that the Ministry of Defence and others in Whitehall are aware of what took place in Ireland during the Dirty War and that this is part of the impetus behind Boris Johnson’s proposal to end all prosecutions against soldiers, even at the expense of letting IRA killers walk free. It is not inconceivable that Cleary and his ilk have made dark threats behind the scenes that they will tell the world what they know about the counterinsurgency techniques deployed in Ireland unless the hounds are called off.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if both of these were true.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rightly so IMO.
No one group or minority should be able to dictate to another
Should probably be noted that that isn't why it was dismissed. Rather the ECHR said the case was inadmissible because he hadn't yet exhausted all options within UK courts.

Deery

Dreary
Interesting read if not what many already expected, the murderer responsible for Greysteel and Castlerock was actually a RUC informant…

lsd

The Oracle
Interesting read if not what many already expected, the murderer responsible for Greysteel and Castlerock was actually a RUC informant…

Hardy a surprise they probably got a bonus

Deery

Dreary
Well, Doug Beattie didn’t prove to be too progressive after all..

poleglass red

Several Sinn Fein MLA's not exactly looking great either for that matter.
same lesson learned, I'm sure every politician is nervously thinking back to what they once wrote. It's a classic trait in the north though, "the other side are doing it to"

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
same lesson learned, I'm sure every politician is nervously thinking back to what they once wrote. It's a classic trait in the north though, "the other side are doing it to"
The fact is they are all at it. The general standard of politicians in Northern Ireland is absolutely abysmal - I include every single party here - most of them couldn't hold down a job working in Tesco nevermind run the country.