Northern Ireland Thread

lsd

The Oracle

Bunch of absolute brainless scumbags who have nothing going for them at all.

Not that it's anything to be proud of but none of these loons would have ever gotten into the IRA during the troubles.

cyberman

The DUP will say no.
Apparently not. It’s why their message is becoming less steadfast over the last couple of weeks.
Rumours are that’s why the Loyalists threatened Northern Ireland last week, they’ve been told DUP will break
Edit just as I said
https://www.irishnews.com/news/nort..._the_protocol_deal-3092189/?param=ds441rif44T
DUP have been bent over here. Worst thing is this is a win for them, there was problems that their stance solved but it won’t look like that

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The DUP and ERG, right now, will be inventing new ways to be outraged.
Nothing will ever be good enough for the DUP and ERG apart from the hardest of brexits and no compromise in terms of the border. Essentially what they want is impossible in the real world but since neither group actually live in the real world that is to be expected. Really hope I am wrong though and the DUP accept it as the best deal they are going to get and go back into Stormont because the country is on it's knees and we need a government.

stevoc

Apparently not. It’s why their message is becoming less steadfast over the last couple of weeks.
Rumours are that’s why the Loyalists threatened Northern Ireland last week, they’ve been told DUP will break
Edit just as I said
https://www.irishnews.com/news/nort..._the_protocol_deal-3092189/?param=ds441rif44T
DUP have been bent over here. Worst thing is this is a win for them, there was problems that their stance solved but it won’t look like that
I am genuinely shocked then. Hopefully they do accept it and get their fingers out and get a government formed.

lsd

The Oracle

Is this gonna make a blind bit of difference ?

Not even remotely the DUP will always say no to whatever they come up with as that's not their real issue anyway.

The DUP want to suffer the same misery the rest of Britain do as they don't want to be treated any different.

Except of course when it comes to abortion and gay rights as then they suddenly lose that view of being British

arnie_ni

At first glance this appears to set NI back to more or less what it was before brexit, would that be a fair assessment or am I missing something

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It’s basically a squeeze on Unionist and hard Brexit crowd. Gas the idea of bringing the king onboard. He can’t stand them either. So Labour will back this; the palace, Ireland and the EU, the US and sane Tories. The right wing loons can say no; but they are being offered limited choice. Boris takes a kicking is the internal Tory advantage

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
I'm 6 months time the same people condemning this will be singing "up the ra" and telling us how it's a wolftoones song and doesn't celebrate the IRA in anyway.

Unfortunately while terrorist organisations still use the IRA name, it will always be associated with terrorism.

caid

I mean from the point of view that they won’t go back into Stormont unless this deal ticks all the boxes for them.
Its cleverly put together. It ticks all the boxes but puts all the power in stormont. They cant make use of it without returning to government. Or it ticks most of the boxes. I'm sure they'll comb through it looking for something to object to but it wont be straightforward.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Hopefully we will hear the DUP's opinion today and hopefully they will be persuaded to agree to it and get Stormont up and running. Not holding my breath though as I see the Belfast telegraph is already briefing against it.

Rooney24

Its cleverly put together. It ticks all the boxes but puts all the power in stormont. They cant make use of it without returning to government. Or it ticks most of the boxes. I'm sure they'll comb through it looking for something to object to but it wont be straightforward.
New EU laws will still apply and the ECJ will still have a say. I can’t see them going for it unfortunately

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
They simply don't want to be, as they see it, junior partners in the Executive. They will come up with a reason why they can't back the Windsor Framework and the UK government will ratify it without them.

Rooney24

They simply don't want to be, as they see it, junior partners in the Executive. They will come up with a reason why they can't back the Windsor Framework and the UK government will ratify it without them.
Theres not much doubt the deal
Will pass on parliament. All the early noise suggests it will and Rishi isn’t relying on DUP votes for that.

It still won’t get them back into Stormont though. Which I’m sure is what he was aiming for.

Tincanalley

I mean from the point of view that they won’t go back into Stormont unless this deal ticks all the boxes for them.
Possibly not. Long term they will need to, I suspect. They seem to be a bit off centre to their own base; many people would like to see functional government, trade. As some other observers have said, it’s a bit sticky that wicket they are batting from.

Tincanalley

The extremists are still there; witness the disgusting attack on the policeman by the terror fringe Republican group. But remember the DUP was the group that opposed the Good Friday agreement … a deal done by the Official Unionist party. Even within the DUP there is an array of political hues from traditional conservative to batshit loonies

Tincanalley

Bear in mind that the people of NÍ rejected Brexit. They elected nationalists; Sinn Fein and SDLP; other Unionist parties including the more moderate UUP, as well as substantial unaligned representatives such as Alliance. So the group blocking the wishes of the wider population are a minority of a minority. You get the sense that nothing will satisfy them other that a Time Machine trip back to sometime in the 1930’s. Not sustainable in the long run.

lsd

The Oracle
Obviously drugs imo . The admission was weird as feck as well, apparently it’s not how they normally operate

Yes it would certainly lean towards it being a drug shooting. I wonder if he was investigating drug gangs

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Yes it would certainly lean towards it being a drug shooting. I wonder if he was investigating drug gangs
He has been involved in a lot of high profile investigations recently.

Did the article give any indication if the 4 protestants were linked to loyalist paramilitaries?

cyberman

He has been involved in a lot of high profile investigations recently.

Did the article give any indication if the 4 protestants were linked to loyalist paramilitaries?
Not article but rumours are it’s a loyalist drug gang called The Firm

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
Not article but rumours are it’s a loyalist drug gang called The Firm
They're the ones from Lurgan direction aren't they? Are they defo loyalist though? I thought they were a drug gang with people on both sides.

cyberman

They're the ones from Lurgan direction aren't they? Are they defo loyalist though? I thought they were a drug gang with people on both sides.
Heard they were Loyalists from all over Ulster but who knows with the stories that get around to be fair