Northern Ireland Thread

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Currently quite funny situation in Stormont with current speaker (DUP) holding firm against DUP and TUV trying to get around the necessary nomination of new Speaker in order to complete some sort of pathetic publicity stunt to try and deny rights to the women of Northern Ireland. Lots of old white men in a room trying to restrict women's rights is not a good look I must say.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Currently quite funny situation in Stormont with current speaker (DUP) holding firm against DUP and TUV trying to get around the necessary nomination of new Speaker in order to complete some sort of pathetic publicity stunt to try and deny rights to the women of Northern Ireland. Lots of old white men in a room trying to restrict women's rights is not a good look I must say.
They are a fecking joke, need a lot of resignations and a whole knew manifesto. Crooks, bigots and liars most of the leading players, they got absolutely fecked over and embarrassed by Boris and this latest stunt is nothing but a cry in the dark trying to make themselves look relevant, absolutely embarrassing.

lsd

The Oracle

Ah forgot today is the day abortion and gay marriage becomes legal here .

Can't believe the neck on them coming back today after three years out to try and stop it .

Backward morons

Last edited:

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
When is anything the DUP does a good look?

Rooney24

The Primark fire will look like a camp fire when the first abortion Clinic opens in Belfast :lol:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The Primark fire will look like a camp fire when the first abortion Clinic opens in Belfast :lol:
Don't think there is any plans for one tbh, its more covering people to avail of medical help and money to travel to the mainland and also buy the pills online. That's what I understand of it, thus far anyway.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Ah forgot today is the day abortion and gay marriage becomes egal here .

Can't believe the neck on them coming back today after three years out to try and stop it .

Backward morons
They’ll come together in times of need. Except this is not the time. They should have stayed where they were, in backwards land.

Fully Fledged

Ah forgot today is the day abortion and gay marriage becomes legal here .

Backward morons
It also shows that their Brexit view that they need to be treated exactly the same as the Rest of the UK only counts when it suits their cause.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Happy to see NI finally be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world with the abortion and marriage changes. It is a bit depressing to see so many people on my facebook feed with a 'darkest day' profile picture - get with it folks, people deserve the same rights as everybody else in the UK and you do not dictate to us nonsense based on what you think the bible says.

Rooney24

Happy to see NI finally be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world with the abortion and marriage changes. It is a bit depressing to see so many people on my facebook feed with a 'darkest day' profile picture - get with it folks, people deserve the same rights as everybody else in the UK and you do not dictate to us nonsense based on what you think the bible says.
Fully agree. The abortion one for me is fairly simple or maybe my thoughts on it are over simplified. Its simply about a womans right to choose. To my mind you can be all for that and still be seperately against abortion. I know its a bit of a blurred line but I am all in favour of women having the choice. But I wouldnt per se be pro abortion. To deny them the right to do what they want with their own body in this day and age is a nonsense.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Fully agree. The abortion one for me is fairly simple or maybe my thoughts on it are over simplified. Its simply about a womans right to choose. To my mind you can be all for that and still be seperately against abortion. I know its a bit of a blurred line but I am all in favour of women having the choice. But I wouldnt per se be pro abortion. To deny them the right to do what they want with their own body in this day and age is a nonsense.
That's my view, its bugger all to do with me what a woman I don't know feels about her pregnancy and she shouldn't be judged for her decision.

Eire Red United

If one person is hurt by a result of these loyalist idiots crying about the Tories fecking them, Bryson should do serious time for incitement. As should Nolan for promoting the little scrote.

Rooney24

If one person is hurt by a result of these loyalist idiots crying about the Tories fecking them, Bryson should do serious time for incitement. As should Nolan for promoting the little scrote.
I listened to him on Nolan the other day:

Nolan: So who did you arrive at the meeting with?
Bryson: Well you tell me?
Nolan: No, you tell me.
Bryson: Well its you that asked the question,
Nolan: Exactly Jamie. I asked the question, and its for you to answer it.

Unreal.

He bangs on about this being a betrayal act against the loyalist people by the British Government, yet they remain loyal to the same government. Strange. Usually when someone betrays you you dont continue to be loyal to them. The penny will never drop that the government couldnt care less about them and would happily see the back of them.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
An excellent series of programmes about The Troubles 50 years ago on the BBC. They bring home the many factors behind that terrible period.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Which series is that mate?
It was on BBC a few nights age and is on catch-up. Cannot quite remember the title but something like The Troubles 50 years. Although I well remember that period and had a good friend who was Irish, you tend to forget exactly what the primary causes were. I found it fascinating, especially the background and the people.
Definitely worth a look in my opinion.
EDIT. Called The Troubles A Secret History.

stevoc

It was on BBC a few nights age and is on catch-up. Cannot quite remember the title but something like The Troubles 50 years. Although I well remember that period and had a good friend who was Irish, you tend to forget exactly what the primary causes were. I found it fascinating, especially the background and the people.
Definitely worth a look in my opinion.
EDIT. Called The Troubles A Secret History.
Cheers mate I’ve actually been catching up on that one myself.

Its been excellent so far one of the best I’ve watched even though I don’t watch a lot of stuff on the troubles. Even though I grew up during the troubles it’s a bit mad to look back on it now when at the time it just became normal.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Cheers mate I’ve actually been catching up on that one myself.

Its been excellent so far one of the best I’ve watched even though I don’t watch a lot of stuff on the troubles. Even though I grew up during the troubles it’s a bit mad to look back on it now when at the time it just became normal.
Looking back, it was a classic case of events spiralling out of control. The death total of 3500+ with thousands more badly injured is startling. It also showed the awful incompetence of the British government at that time. It has been peaceful following the devolved government. But I can forsee brexit kicking off a further round of nationalism.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Looking back, it was a classic case of events spiralling out of control. The death total of 3500+ with thousands more badly injured is startling. It also showed the awful incompetence of the British government at that time. It has been peaceful following the devolved government. But I can forsee brexit kicking off a further round of nationalism.
It will be the Loyalists kicking off once BJ brexit deal goes through.

stevoc

I hope not but i've had a bad feeling since the referendum that thats exactly what will happen. Still too many bitter idiots here just looking for an excuse, Jame Bryson for one.

lsd

The Oracle
How do you mean?

The troubles . Loyalists attacking catholics because the catholics wanted their civil rights . The British Goverment send in the troops to protect the Catholics and we all know how that went

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The troubles . Loyalists attacking catholics because the catholics wanted their civil rights . The British Goverment send in the troops to protect the Catholics and we all know how that went
I think that’s a little simplistic, British troops and government riled up the RA , so yeah il give you that. Loyalist paramilitaries were a result of the ra and British state forces clashing. Loyalist paramilitaries often get the blame but I can see why paramilitaries on both sides raised their heads. To say the UVF/UDA/LVF were some sort of accelerant is a bit of an easy way out. Did the IRA/INLA not “attack” Protestant civilians? Really? Probably one of the only Unionist politicians who I respect was a Loyalist paramilitary and if he was still alive today NI would be a better place, if you can name him il happily debate it with you further.

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Also, British forces protecting catholics? I think you need to do a little more reading. I think even the most sympathetic nationalists will have trouble with that one. 1st and 2nd Para were sent in to quash Irish dissidents, as a Unionist il even admit that.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Also, British forces protecting catholics? I think you need to do a little more reading. I think even the most sympathetic nationalists will have trouble with that one. 1st and 2nd Para were sent in to quash Irish dissidents, as a Unionist il even admit that.
You dont know your history

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Initially the Catholic population were delighted that the army came in, they cheered and went out on the streets to welcome them because they believed they were sent to protect them. That's a fact. It was only over time this changed.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Initially the Catholic population were delighted that the army came in, they cheered and went out on the streets to welcome them because they believed they were sent to protect them. That's a fact. It was only over time this changed.
What they thought and the real reason was very different.

Eire Red United

The idea allegedly was that they would protect Catholic civillians, but obviously things like Bloody Sunday and British soldiers using a dead innocent mans skull as an ashtray turned opinion against them.

Eire Red United

I think that’s a little simplistic, British troops and government riled up the RA , so yeah il give you that. Loyalist paramilitaries were a result of the ra and British state forces clashing. Loyalist paramilitaries often get the blame but I can see why paramilitaries on both sides raised their heads. To say the UVF/UDA/LVF were some sort of accelerant is a bit of an easy way out. Did the IRA/INLA not “attack” Protestant civilians? Really? Probably one of the only Unionist politicians who I respect was a Loyalist paramilitary and if he was still alive today NI would be a better place, if you can name him il happily debate it with you further.
If you watch that documentary series it shows that it was Paisley and the likes who geared up for trouble long before the Provos did, they couldn’t accept that Catholics might actually get equal rights in “our wee province”

Eire Red United

I hope not but i've had a bad feeling since the referendum that thats exactly what will happen. Still too many bitter idiots here just looking for an excuse, Jame Bryson for one.
Hopefully they won’t be sponsored by the British government this time.

Even so they will almost certainly attack innocent Catholics round Belfast, easy targets and if it happens, as I’ve said before the likes of Bryson should do time for inciting violence and Nolan should be in hot water too for giving vermin like that airtime.