Northern Ireland Thread

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Really hope they get answers, nothing about that poor childs disappearance adds up whatsoever.
Yeah it's a horrible situation for the family - I haven't seen any of the rumors about the poor lad's last moments but the family deserve some closure if possible.

poleglass red

that link I give re investigation into young Noah courtesy of Jude Collins, was actually written by Donal Lavery, but has been promoted by Jude Collins on his various social media outlets

poleglass red

The belfast tele headline today is an interview with young Noah's biological father in the US. This man never met his son and played no active role in his life. I think this article is in extremely bad taste, esp considering just yesterday the family again publicly advised people to stop spreading rumours via social media. They obviously want to be left alone to try and grieve as privately as possible, or as much as humanly possible when they are so many unanswered questions. For a local paper to run this interview at such a delicate stage of the grieving process is disgusting in my view and akin to something a tabloid does/did back in the day. The father should not have agreed to do that interview but for a local paper to do this doesn't sit well with me.Just my personal opinion, but this whole unfortunate event surrounding this poor kid really hit me hard. I think local press should be expected to be held accountable to higher standards than this.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The belfast tele headline today is an interview with young Noah's biological father in the US. This man never met his son and played no active role in his life. I think this article is in extremely bad taste, esp considering just yesterday the family again publicly advised people to stop spreading rumours via social media. They obviously want to be left alone to try and grieve as privately as possible, or as much as humanly possible when they are so many unanswered questions. For a local paper to run this interview at such a delicate stage of the grieving process is disgusting in my view and akin to something a tabloid does/did back in the day. The father should not have agreed to do that interview but for a local paper to do this doesn't sit well with me.Just my personal opinion, but this whole unfortunate event surrounding this poor kid really hit me hard. I think local press should be expected to be held accountable to higher standards than this.
Belfast Telegraph has been a gutter rag for many years now. It's incredibly biased and the standard of reporting is very poor. It's essentially the NI equivalent of the Daily Mail.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
John Hume has passed away :(

I met him and his wife Pat on a bus from Derry to Belfast a number of years ago. It seemed like he had Alzheimer’s or dementia, his wife was constantly reminding him of things that they had done or had to do. It’s a sad end to one of Ireland’s greatest politicians

Green_Red

I met him and his wife Pat on a bus from Derry to Belfast a number of years ago. It seemed like he had Alzheimer’s or dementia, his wife was constantly reminding him of things that they had done or had to do. It’s a sad end to one of Ireland’s greatest politicians
Was just talking about him yesterday with my girlfriend. Did great things for Ireland.

RIP

jeff_goldblum

RIP.

My understanding is that he had dementia for a long time before he died so you're probably right. Horrible disease.

Charlie Foley

Sad news. A remarkable man and a titan of Irish history. RIP

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sad news. A remarkable man and a titan of Irish history. RIP
He was a great man, he showed the north that there was a way out of the ‘bitter’ politics at the time. Who could have imagined all those eejits sitting around one table or paisley and McGuiness becoming friends? That all stemmed from John Hume laying the ground work

nickm

He was a great man, he showed the north that there was a way out of the ‘bitter’ politics at the time. Who could have imagined all those eejits sitting around one table or paisley and McGuiness becoming friends? That all stemmed from John Hume laying the ground work
He was a great man indeed. RIP.

NotworkSte

That is sad news indeed. I met him and Trimble once, through the school current affairs society which led to a trip to Dublin to visit the peace and reconciliation forum. Trimble was as you'd expect. Hume was... one of the most impressive politicians I ever met. The respect he got from all sides was a testament to his statesmanship. An honourable man.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012

So this Happened.

The Belfast Telegraph and Irish Times want to interview me tomorrow. Don't know what to say. I just did it in 30 mins over lunch. I failed art as well

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So this Happened.

The Belfast Telegraph and Irish Times want to interview me tomorrow. Don't know what to say. I just did it in 30 mins over lunch. I failed art as well
That is amazing mate well done. A very fitting tribute to a wonderful man.

Rooney24

So GCSE results will be totally based on Teacher predictions but the A Level results wont.

Absolute lunatics running the place.

Green_Red

Even teachers predictions are flawed. They should just male them sit the shitting exams. Run them 5 times with social distancing if you have to.

Eire Red United

Even teachers predictions are flawed. They should just male them sit the shitting exams. Run them 5 times with social distancing if you have to.
Totally unfair to do that at this stage having not been in class for months. Use the predicted grades, give pupils the benefit of the doubt, what odds if a few get higher grades than they should have.

Green_Red

Totally unfair to do that at this stage having not been in class for months. Use the predicted grades, give pupils the benefit of the doubt, what odds if a few get higher grades than they should have.
My opinion on that is distance learning in this day and age isn't what it was like for us, there are ample resources online that students could have been completing their coursework. The odds are that some dickish teacher somewhere will punish one of their students and give them a grade that is lower than they deserve, and inversely the other way too. Fair would be completing an exam and having them marked independently.

When I was in school and University I was a crammer, so would coast during the year and then smash the end of year exams. If you're that type of student then you have been fecked over with this approach. Thats far from fair.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
So this Happened.

Good job.
I met him once at the Wellington Park Hotel and he signed his signature on my medical card as that'sall I had on me.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
As if this DUP mob weren't embarrassing as it is.
They are aligned to Trump for the same reason many in America are - they are right wing and also he represents the Baptist/fundamentalist Christian side of religion (obviously he is not religious in any way but he has relied on their support and does everything he can to do stuff he knows gets them going) - DUP are essentially the typical Trump supporting crazies. I am not shocked by this latest revelation at all although all it does is add a little to my already seething hatred of them.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
They are aligned to Trump for the same reason many in America are - they are right wing and also he represents the Baptist/fundamentalist Christian side of religion (obviously he is not religious in any way but he has relied on their support and does everything he can to do stuff he knows gets them going) - DUP are essentially the typical Trump supporting crazies. I am not shocked by this latest revelation at all although all it does is add a little to my already seething hatred of them.
Has nobody told them the Trumpet attended an IRA fundraising event in New York in 1995? Idiots.

Deery

Dreary
Jay us’ boys sure Young Darragh got a busy day ahead...

poleglass red

I see the BELFAST LIVE facebook account mods are clearly redcafe readers, they opened up a rather lively debate yesterday on their site about the meaning of the word "scundered". Us boyos on here already sorted that one out ages ago.......